BLTC freezes after few seconds

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Who Dares Wins.7064

Who Dares Wins.7064

Hello, when I access BLTC from in-game it loads but it freezes after few seconds, for instance if I try to buy something or sell something I have something like 3 – 4 seconds before it freeze completely so I have to close BLTC and open it again but the time margin is very little to do anything as a result making BLTC useless.

I tried to remove the Guild Wars 2 under Application Support and kill the CVM*, cookied and etc processes related to GW2

I restarted the game multiple times, rebooted the computer multiple times, restarted the router multiple times, https://tradingpost-live.ncplatform.net/authenticate works just fine from the browser I can login and browse normally, I neither have any firewall running on my computer nor on my router.

The issue started yesterday, before it worked fine, also along with that issue yesterday started an issue when I’m on character selection screen the game crashes after few seconds and throws an exception for workaround I remove the power cord on character selection and then put it back in.

I’m on Macbook Pro 17-inc, Mid 2010 with 2.66GHz Intel i7, 8GB Ram @ 1067 MHz DD3 with Nvidia GeForce GT 330M 512MB on OSX 10.9.1

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Happy new year to all of you!

Posted by: Felicja.6891

Felicja.6891

What other fixes have you tried? Could you try re-downloading your client by following the instructions at (see the bottom portion of the instructions so you don’t have to re-download the 20GB GW2.dat file)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/TgUpdate-1-11-everytime-i-open-the-launcher/3394514

Who Dares Wins.7064

Hello, I followed the instructions and I reinstalled Guild Wars 2, it fixed the issue… for about half an hour… :P

So the issue remains, after few minutes in game BLTP had issues again.

I though that maybe my .dat file was damaged so I booted in my Windows 8 partition downloaded Guild Wars 2 installer for windows, and I used my .dat file from OSX in order to not download ~20GB again and to make sure that it wasn’t .dat file that had the issue.

Things went as I expected in windows I had no issue with BLTP, it worked all the time just fine make me believe that the issue relies on cider probably.

From what I imagine since GW2 uses in game web view for BLTP then cider provides a web view emulator or something like that in order to mimic windows behavior so I guess somewhere there relies the issue? Not sure just guessing…

In bottom line BLTP and the game in overall still has long way ahead to be fully OSX compatible for now OSX gamers just make patience.

Felicja.6891

Sorry to hear this is still an issue and thanks for the update. It is possible that some files in the .dat file are corrupt. I am not sure if you have already tried this, but even if your .dat file was copied from Windows client, there could be some files missing in it/corrupt.

You could try running from Terminal.app (you can find it in Applications->Utilities) the following command. It assumes your GW2 client was installed in the default location of /Applications.

/Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2.app/Contents/MacOS/cider —use-dos-cwd C:/GW2 -- C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe -repair

Note: The —line (between word cider and use-dos-cwd) is actually 2 dashes, the format of the forums make it look like 1 long dash, you may have to delete and re-type this for it to work.

This command is properly formatted and also available at http://pastebin.com/WcKQezpG

(edited by Felicja.6891)

Who Dares Wins.7064

Hello Felicja, what I did is to copy my .dat file from OSX and put it into Windows, download windows installer and install Guild Wars by using the .dat file I copied from OSX in order to make sure that the .dat file wasn’t the issue. Guild Wars 2 was running great and BLTP worked just fine under Windows with the .dat file I copied from OSX so I doubt that the file is corrupted because if it was it wouldn’t work on Windows partition as well since I copied it from OSX where the issue exists.

Thanks

Felicja.6891

Interestingly the -repair process will not take more than 5 minutes and it is recommended as general troubleshooting on Mac (please see: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/Basic-Mac-Beta-Client-Troubleshooting/first#post2480238)

I suggest that you try all of the steps listed on that forum posting. Also, could you please post the crash log? Since the crash log can be fairly long, please use http://pastebin.com. The file you are looking for is called “ArenaNet.log” and you can find it in
(If this path shows up on multiple lines, it should be all one line)
/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Guild Wars 2/p_drive/User/Application Data/Guild Wars 2.

I am sure you already know this, files/folders in Mac environment have user based permissions. Please make sure the GW2.dat file has these permissions (when you “Get Info” on the file, take a look at Sharing & Permissions):

yourusername – Read & Write
staff – Read & Write
everyone – Read & Write

whereas, the GW2.app client file has the following permissions:
yourusername – Read & Write
staff – Read & Write
everyone – Read only

(edited by Felicja.6891)

Who Dares Wins.7064

Hello, first of all thanks for the support.

The log is here: http://pastebin.com/93JwVLDz

I’m running now the repair process.

Regarding permissions I run permission repair and verify check with disk utility but I also can confirm that the permissions on the files you mentioned are like you say.

Once the repair process is done I’ll let you know with the results.

Thanks again.

PS: Sorry I didn’t saw your in-game message at the time you send it to me :/

Who Dares Wins.7064

Hello again, repair is finished but the issue still exists…

not sure if there is anything else left to do…

Felicja.6891

Thank you very much for posting the log file. From the log it looks as if the game client is trying to execute Actionscript, but it cannot find the object or its reference. I am not sure why this is the case, maybe the Awesomium browser files that come with GW2 client use Adobe Flash Actionscript…

Do you have Adobe Flash Player installed on your Mac? Please re-install following these instructions. If you do not have it installed, just get the latest version and install it.

Uninstall:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

Then install:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Also, please update your Mac OS X 10.9 by running System Update on Mac. If the log files are correct, you are currently running 10.9 but there is an update, 10.9.1.

Please let me know if this resolved your issue. Good luck!

(edited by Felicja.6891)

Who Dares Wins.7064

Hmm.. Ok this starting to make sense I believe now…

Regarding OSX I have 1.9.1 (I’m on automatic updates) and I just double checked it so I’m not sure why it says 1.9 I guess maybe because it is referencing to 1.9.* versions AKA Mavericks distribution.

Adobe Flash generally not playing well with Apple, I don’t really know why but I have a nightly build of flash installed which is 12.0.0.39 while the latest stable version is 11.9.900.170. Not sure if it is the issue since usually new versions even nightly have backwards compatibility on older versions but I’ll remove the version I got now and install the latest stable and check again in game if it works I hope it will do the trick.

Thanks for spotting this out! I’ll be back with results.

Who Dares Wins.7064

Ok, first of all, Thank you Felicja for the in-game support, without it I believe I wouldn’t find the solution.

I will sum up here what we did in order to solve the above solution.

First I removed the installed flash version and downloaded the latest stable version since I had a nightly build of adobe flash.

After flash update BLTP didn’t work so I had to do all the steps I did in this post again, with that order:

1) Reboot (just to make sure)
3) Backup .dat file in order to not re-download ~20GB
4) Remove Guild Wars 2.app
5) Remove Guild Wars 2 folder under ~/Library/Application Support/
6) Download the installer
7) cancel the installation then place back the backed-up .dat file
8) Download the patch mentioned in this topic and patch Guild Wars 2.app

9) And now comes the tricky part…
Seems that a cached file still exist in the system and prevents BLTP to work because of previous version of Flash player so I had to “clean the cache”

The cached files are located under /private/var/folders/ inside that directory there are some folders, usually the one with >0 is the one you need but in my case I had two folders “c5” and “zz” and both where >0 so in order to find out which folder I need I run the following command:
$ sudo -s this is to enter as a root user in order to perform operations under /private/var/folders/, once I enter as root I changed my directory to # cd /private/var/folders/ then I scan the path to find out which folder I need # ls -LR | grep tg- the result I got was: ./c5/v0ltx8jj031wnd67p7gwhxw0000gn/T/tg-myusername_ (myusername is actually the username I use for my computer) after that I can see that the “c5” was the folder I want to remove so running the following command # rm -rf /private/var/folders/c5 or # rm -rf c5 since we are already in /private/var/folders/ did the trick.

Cache was clean and now BLTP works fine again.

I will to more tests today to make sure it’s not a temporary solution, but so far it works fine.

Thanks for the support!

PS: Also a bit of a tip, if all of the above don’t work, try running the game as root $ sudo /Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2.app/Contents/MacOS/cider if running the game as root do the trick then you probably need to reset your user’s permissions by following these steps: http://macs.about.com/od/Troubleshooting/qt/Mac-Troubleshooting-Reset-User-Account-Permissions.htm

(edited by Who Dares Wins.7064)

Who Dares Wins.7064

Back again, so it seems that the issue happened again, what I had to do again to fix the issue is just to remove a folder under /private/var/folders

What I did, I open Terminal and followed these commands:

$ sudo -s
# cd /private/var/folders/
# ls -LR | grep tg-

I got this:

tg-myusername
./c5/v0ltx8jj031wnd67p7gwhxw0000gn/T/tg-myusername_

Then I run # rm -rf c5

Run the game again and it worked again… till next time of-course…

(edited by Who Dares Wins.7064)