BSOD's and Crashing caused by Hardware or Engine?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: VirtualBS.3165

VirtualBS.3165

Well, my CPU caused a failure during the IntelBurn stress test; however, whatever problem it may have it isn’t overheating as I already previously tested its temperature and it was fine.

If it isn’t overheating, then you problem is the CPU Vdroop being a little too much when at 100% usage. You can either:

• Increase Vcore slightly, just bump it up a notch and test again.
  • Increase the Load-Line Calibration setting (or decrease, depends on how your bios calls them: you want “more” LLC — for example, on my BIOS, that would mean going from LLC 5 to LLC 4). You can check both in your BIOS.

I’d say, if you bump 3-4 times the Vcore and it keeps crashing, put it back where it was and bump LLC. A combination of these measures will yield you stability. If none of these solve the failures, then you have a RAM problem (usually too low Vdimm, too tight timings, different chip modules in paired channel slots or simply bad ram).

I noticed that the program is called “Intel” Burn so I was curious if it even is meant to work with AMD CPU’s? I am not in denial just was curious when I noticed the name of it and its logo were Intel.

Yes it’s meant to work on any CPU. It’s just called that because the libraries it uses for performing Linpack benchmarks are from Intel.

(edited by VirtualBS.3165)

Posted by: ZaxanRazor.6235

ZaxanRazor.6235

BSODs are rarely caused by applications. Hardware and OS level services cause them.

Posted by: skeletank.4382

skeletank.4382

Thanks for the tip VirtualBS. Is this Vcore setting also within the BIOS?

skeletank.4382

Oh. Nevermind, I just saw you said to check both in BIOS.

skeletank.4382

Well I just went into my BIOS and found nothing about either Vcore or LLC?

There was some sort of “core unlocker” that was disabled that made it sound like my CPU wasn’t being used to its full potential; however, it warned of the computer possibly becoming unstable if enabled. I assume this option is just a different way to overclock?

Anyway, I am lost as to where to configure either the Vcore or LLC?

Posted by: gosu.8153

gosu.8153

Never had GW2 crash or give BSOD ever.

Posted by: VirtualBS.3165

VirtualBS.3165

Well I just went into my BIOS and found nothing about either Vcore or LLC?

There was some sort of “core unlocker” that was disabled that made it sound like my CPU wasn’t being used to its full potential; however, it warned of the computer possibly becoming unstable if enabled. I assume this option is just a different way to overclock?

Anyway, I am lost as to where to configure either the Vcore or LLC?

That “core unlock” feature is made for the X2 and X3 cpus, to make them X4 (as they are all equal on the hardware level, just have some of the cores disabled, either because they are effectively defective of just for selling purposes). Since you have a X4 its of no use to you.

What is your MB manufacturer/model?

Posted by: chardop.6508

chardop.6508

Hey guys, I’ve been following this thread because I have the same issue as described by the above posters.. computer freezes/crashes exclusively when playing GW2, no BSOD, no signs of overheating or power shorting. My system should theoretically be able to handle GW2 just fine, and I run stock everything so there should be no issues that would be had with OC’ing. I’m running i7-950, 24g ripjaw ram, gtx 560 ti, 125g ssd on windows 8 64 bit.

The thing is, I think I may have found the source of my own problem. I tried moving my game over to another directory to no avail, but what I did notice was that I could play just fine for any length of time while I was not on skype. I bought this game with my brother so usually when we both play we skype with each other, and I realized I could play just fine on my own.. but once I get on a call in skype my computer would crash with any length of play between 30 seconds and 15 minutes.

Is anyone who is experiencing these problems coincidentally also using Skype?

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

I’ll have to add my name to this ever growing list.

The game simply force disconnects me totally at random every 10-15 min…mind you this started around sept 15/16 when an update happened. Then upon opening up the launcher it asks to repair the game, which I never allow it to do anymore as it literally does NOTHING to solve this.

I really wish ANet would just admit they screwed something up and are working on this, as right now it honestly feels as though we are beign ignored.

Hardware is not the cause of this, neither is any driver issues…if it were every other thing on the computer would be showing problems. Repeatedly people are saying this is only happening with GW2.

I’ll have to try the intall outside of the program files…

chardop.6508

Bad news, and an update on my quirky situation. Yesterday I was playing on mumble just fine for 2 hours and a bit… and then when I went back to town and pressed f my system crashed again

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Still experiencing this issue as well since BWE2. One thing I was able to do to make it happen far less often is to run in windowed fullscreen mode (under graphics options) instead of fullscreen mode.

Now it only seems to crash in some cutscenes.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Posted by: tekwiz.8635

tekwiz.8635

why don’t you all post your system specs, so others can help you troubleshoot.

E3-1230v2
P8Z68-V
GTX 560 Ti

chardop.6508

New build tonight, hopefully they will have addressed this issue.

chardop.6508

Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI FTW3
Processor: i7-950 @ 3.06 GHz
Ram: 24GB (6×4) G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaw Series (9-9-9-24)
Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti (1024 MB)

Posted by: sam.4673

sam.4673

It’s been my experience that this client does not play well with other programs. I have a higher rate of crashing when I have firefox or other generally non-resource hogging programs running.

Regardless, I used to crash every 15 mins or so, until I reformatted. Now I barely ever crash. To anyone having this issue, I’d strongly recommend reformatting if you have exhausted all other options.

Posted by: Darkzor.3964

Darkzor.3964

Dear god, with each new patch there’s more black screens!

When GW2 came out I played it 24/7 with ZERO crashes. Nada.
Nowadays, after a few patches, I get frequent blackscreens which freeze the game for 5 secs on average. And I’m playing VERY infrequently, makes me want to play even less.

And no, I didn’t change my system, you changed the game, now fix it!

FYI
I5 760 @ 3.8 ghz (properly cooled), 16GB Corsair Vengeance, asus p7p55d, R7970 3GB XFX DD, 650W Corsair PSU.

Another funny thing: If I do the SMALLEST overclock on the R7970 I get all sorts of artifacts on GW2. Lots of crazy squares everywhere.
If I do the BIGGEST overclock on other games: ZERO artifacts and major performance boosts (and jet engine fan noise ofc :P).

Admit something is broke with the game already! It’s fine.

skeletank.4382

I tried the whole reinstall outside of program files thing and it seems since I crash within 5 minutes.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Looks like once you get a problem with this client it start piling up more and more.

My Odyssey started with switching my Phenom II x2 555 for a x4 965, actually at 1st couldn´t even install this POS client(10125k crash). But that went away and I actually ran this game with low(20) to mediocre(40) FPS.

Anyway to stay ontopic, after the switch my trusty WinXP SP3 ( 4GB Ram) went totally bonkers when this kitten-program is running.
First I get worse FPS than before! The HD 7750 is around 50% and the cores not much higher. The Dualcore usually ran around 90%.

Then I suddenly start getting the dreaded intermittent “lag”.
The hardware monitors clearly show that although my power scheme is set to “Desktop” it still randomly powers down to 800MHz then quickly back to its standard 3.4 GHz, thus the lag.

To combat this I first switched off the ACPI HTEP in my BIOS. That helped for about 3-4 days.
Then I STUPIDLY played around with texture-filtering(the clients “best filter” setting is anything but) by activating the Catalyst Aniso´Filter (disabling client´s kitteny one) and the “lag” is back.

Trying to stop this I started disabling “Cool´n Quiet” and “Enhanced Halt State” setting in the BIOS.
But NOW I started getting hard freezes!

Well after resetting all the settings to before the experiment, I´m still back in lag-country on top of having kitten FPS. Or it would be if I´d log on again.

So I´m pretty much done with this game by now. >:(

Maybe I´ll come back when ANet manages to fix this thing. But as a Mac client and optimizing for the POS FX cores seems to be their current priority, I guess it´ll be a while.
See if I care.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

Posted by: Trujillo Sammut.2307

Trujillo Sammut.2307

Been getting constant crashes for three weeks. Played fine during the beta and the first week of the game. Now wvw is impossible and it’s getting frustrating just trying to pve. I crash at least 20 times just trying to 100% a zone and I’ve tried everyone solution out there. I can play everything else just fine. I know it isn’t my hardware. It’d be nice if arenanet at least said something about progress towards fixing these crashes.

Posted by: Hardin.6345

Hardin.6345

My pc is not a year old yet.
I play any other games without any flaws at all including Tera Online which is more graphic intense than this.
My GPU is a GTX 580 I’ve tried every driver for this card including the ones Arenanet recommend.
Yet Still I get crashes, flickers, freezes, BSOD. All my drivers are up to date including Bios.I’m also sick to death messing about with control panel of the nvidia, as none of what they say works.
I have run memtest no errors. I have tested the graphics card no problem.

Now let me say this.
Before when I was beta from the start I did not have ONE crash, one flicker, not a murmer of any glithces at all, so this just tells me that Arenanet have messed up big time with the coding they done on the live start.
Because form then on thats what I have been having, “oh and no temp issues either, so dont even go there”.
I am just sick, and tired of companies like this that bring out games that done damnwell work.
Lets face it even the, so called repairer does not repair, as it should.
I aslo read somewhere on here that Arenanet know about the problems with the Nvidia GTX card, but they said there is no ETA.
Have to TBH I think thats disgusting coming from a company this big.
In a nutshell it’s there fault, but they wont come out , and say so.