Ban for "Chat Spam" because of a spoiler?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Valeera.2683

Valeera.2683

So, I am confused. Someone spoiled something on the map chat, three people started calling that person names and supposedly reported them for spam chat so the person gets banned… Is this for real? Will that seriously be considered a spam chat? Is there a policy about that somewhere of the forum?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Not really, but they, ANet, did ask not to spoil the story for others.

I know one streamer today got upset because of spoilers popping up in map chat while they were playing through the story for the first time. It’s possible that some of their followers took it upon themselves to threaten to report.

But no, reporting someone for something that isn’t in the ToS isn’t going to get them banned. But just remember that everyone can see map chat and discussions that mention spoilers within the, say first few weeks if not a month, is being considerate.

Of course if you (general you not you specifically) are “that guy” who walks out of a movie and shout spoilers at the queue, as I expect will happen with the next Star Wars film, this kind of suggestion will fall on deaf ears.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

This is one of the reasons that I put map chat in a separate tab and only look at it when I’m doing a big event.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

So, I am confused. Someone spoiled something on the map chat.

Pretty sure that falls squarely under griefing as far as Anet is concerned. That is, if it was done intentionally to ruin other players experience.

If it wasn’t intentionally spoiling then I’m not sure. The three people calling names might be at risk of a Verbal Abuse Ban,depending how bad the names were, since they decided to call attention to the matter.

i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I would not worry about people saying they are going to ‘report someone and they will be banned’. Players say that kind of stuff all the time to scare others, or just because they know no better.

You can’t really tell if others are banned, anyway, unless they come to the forums and state that is so, and even then, it could be something else.

Good luck.

Posted by: holotype.1643

holotype.1643

I’ve been playing with a custom chat tab that has both guild chat and map chat unchecked until I finish the story.
And it pleases me that Anet bans players who put spoilers in chat.

Championing Blackgate since Aug. 25, 2012
[UV]