Banned for gold selling what the hell

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

I want an explanation, because I absolutely did no such a thing.

Attachments:

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

You need to submit a ticket to Support.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You will need to contact support by following the support link at the top of the page then the submit a request link located on the top right of that page. If you have been away it could be your account was hacked and used for gold selling by the hacker. Only support can assist you.

The Burninator

Nikaido.3457

I very much doubt an account hack. There’s been no suspicious activity in my account and I haven’t ever received a confirmation mail that wasn’t tied to me launching the game.

The only thing I could suspect is anet banning all accounts that used the wtfast VPN, which would be insanely idiotic.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You still need to contact support as suggested.

The Burninator

Posted by: ViperBruiser.3852

ViperBruiser.3852

2 of my guildm8s got banned aswell.. both were using wtfast
gj anet

hi.

Posted by: Kasteros.9847

Kasteros.9847

Same here, 3 of my guildmates that were using WTFAST cos of low servers of gw2 got banned for gold selling – they never did anything like that tho :P

[One][SiOn][dF]
16.03.15 We remember! R.I.P. MT
Shocking interview with Anet WvW Dev

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

They might have gotten the same IP at some point, one a goldseller was using, and all accounts associated with it got banned, just to be sure.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Thadriel.3682

Thadriel.3682

2 friends got banned for gold selling,too -which they actually never did. They also used wtfast.

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

Seems like it makes a lot of false positives (logins from different countries). I’m a bit scared cause I use wtfast as well.

Posted by: Tom Deluxe.9105

Tom Deluxe.9105

A guildmate of mine also got banned. He has used WTFast because he has lag problems with his ISP but I can assure he never sold gold.

Arenanet, check your ban bot!

Posted by: bluri.2653

bluri.2653

Apparently a lot of people got banned, this is pretty kittening kittened. I’m using WTfast myself but i managed to be safe somehow.

Sindrener – Rank55 Dragons/Orange Logo/Team Aggression
http://www.twitch.tv/sindrenerr

Posted by: pet.6829

pet.6829

Same problem for my Guild Master.
He was banned for gold selling while using WTFast like another Raid Leader this night on the same WvW map.

(edited by pet.6829)

Posted by: Karsaib Daioujou.8541

Karsaib Daioujou.8541

Same, my main account, KarsaiB.9475, banned for the same motive. Needless to say I haven’t done any of it.

I heard there might be an issue with WTFast users ? I’m personally using the program.

(edited by Karsaib Daioujou.8541)

Posted by: meyera.3746

meyera.3746

Exactly same happend to my main acc, “meyeR.8569” i didn’t do any gold selling or something related to it.

I did use WTFast

Pls fix this

Posted by: KGS.9842

KGS.9842

this kinda worries me
I’m using hideme vpn to escape the lag, and don’t want this to happen to me too
this is kittening ridiculous, first we get the lag, and no one seems to try to help us, and then we get banned for trying to play the game normally

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

Looks like a GoldSeller was operating within WTFast shared VPNs and flagged some innocent accounts that were blocked as a prevenative measure to prevent compromise. Unfortunately sometimes this is a risk you take when using a 3rd party tunneling service. Working to rectify this issue now.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

Posted by: Robwars.9386

Robwars.9386

I was one of the banned guys, now i can login again on forum and ingame. Thanks for your fast answer and for solving this issue.

A question now: can this happen anytime again in future? cause im kinda committed to WTFast due to the extreme delay, rubberbanding and packet loss im getting since months, tho i wanna avoid to risk this happening again and maybe not being solved like now.

Thanks again for the good work Chris!

Previous

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

WTFast runs through shared service VPNs like most tunneling services. Unfortunately when they change servers or providers, our systems detect a large quantities of accounts suddenly being accessed by a different network. Standard preventative measures dictate that we close access to these accounts to try to insure that the account’s holdings remain secure.

As we currently don’t have an “account identity lock” system, we rely on preventative banning in this case. We are working on a better solution for this, but this type of issue doesn’t happen very often, and when it does it can quickly and easily be fixed.

In this case it looks like this hit WTFast VPNs running out of Frankfurt, Germany which was brought to our attention because of high GoldSeller activity on it along with a flux of accounts hitting the same and new network at the same time.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I am still looking into this issue.

(edited by Chris Cleary.8017)

Posted by: pet.6829

pet.6829

Hi,
My Guild Master was running WTFast on a French server when he was banned.

Posted by: Empyrium.7058

Empyrium.7058

I was one of the banned cuz i was using WTFast too but i can log in to game and forum. Thanks for solving this quick.

Posted by: Robwars.9386

Robwars.9386

WTFast runs through shared service VPNs like most tunneling services. Unfortunately when they change servers or providers, our systems detect a large quantities of accounts suddenly being accessed by a different network. Standard preventative measures dictate that we close access to these accounts to try to insure that the account’s holdings remain secure.

As we currently don’t have an “account identity lock” system, we rely on preventative banning in this case. We are working on a better solution for this, but this type of issue doesn’t happen very often, and when it does it can quickly and easily be fixed.

In this case it looks like this hit WTFast VPNs running out of Frankfurt, Germany which was brought to our attention because of high GoldSeller activity on it along with a flux of accounts hitting the same and new network at the same time.

Thanks for clarifying Chris. Much appreciated really
For what it concerns me, i’ll keep block&report all the goldsellers that i find/get messaged by like i did till now, hope this can help u further tracking em!
Hopin for everyone that had this issue to be fine and fixed now or asap (except the goldsellers that kittened us all for a while :P)

Best regards!

Robwars.

Nikaido.3457

Thanks for lifting the ban, but unfortunately a decent VPN service like WTFast is essential to being even able to enjoy the game at all depending on the time of the day here so I’ll have to ask: can we use it again in good conscience?

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Thanks for lifting the ban, but unfortunately a decent VPN service like WTFast is essential to being even able to enjoy the game at all depending on the time of the day here so I’ll have to ask: can we use it again in good conscience?

I’d say you’re fine, chris stated

“but this type of issue doesn’t happen very often, and when it does it can quickly and easily be fixed.”

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Previous

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

This issue is now resolved, all accounts caught in this should have access once again.

I apologize for the inconvenience, unfortunately sometimes these things happen as anyone can use these networks and they are always subject to change which can set off any number of alarms. When they do happen, we work to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Edit: EU Unblocks took a little bit longer – All finished as of 12:47 AM
Thursday, February 26 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

(edited by Chris Cleary.8017)

Posted by: darkophil.4382

darkophil.4382

My GM account is still terminated … his account : Ark.7123

Posted by: Ark.7123

Ark.7123

This issue is now resolved, all accounts caught in this should have access once again.

I apologize for the inconvenience, unfortunately sometimes these things happen as anyone can use these networks and they are always subject to change which can set off any number of alarms. When they do happen, we work to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Edit: EU Unblocks took a little bit longer – All finished as of 12:47 AM
Thursday, February 26 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

Thx for unblocking, should we take care with wtfast ? cuz in france we have a lot of lag between 21h / 23h and sometimes its impossible to fight without a vpn …

Posted by: Sepp.8546

Sepp.8546

Thx for resolving this issue so fast, i´m wondering though if its still a good idea to use WTFast, since i need it to resolve the packageloss caused by Level 3 in Germany.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Unfortunately sometimes this is a risk you take when using a 3rd party tunneling service.

Seriously, what are people supposed to do when the game is literally uplayable? WTFast offered me a solution for over half a year (until the lag finally went away) and I’m really grateful for that since no one (your company or my ISP) would lift a finger to do anything about the horrid routing through a Frankfurt Level 3 data center.

Posted by: Covis.6037

Covis.6037

“risk” taking when this is literally the only game that lags and is know for bad connection lol…

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

You guys have heard of BGP/OSPF right? and Internet Multi-pathing? Your system would flag accounts that happen to jump routes and change source IP’s due to BGP topology changes too.

You guys need to change your security measures. Mass banning accounts based on source IP is the STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard of. Especially since accounts that are banned via this method need tickets opened with your helpdesk. You are just burning $$$ by going this route. There are many other/better ways to run security.

One would be to enforce every account to use the email authentication system you have setup with GW2. They change IP the system blocks access until they accept said email. Sames goes for mobile authenticator.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Roelie.4235

Roelie.4235

my friend Lord Arthedain has the same problem he didn’t do anything wrong and suddenly he got accused for gold selling.
he al did send already a ticket i hope he get his acount back

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

You guys have heard of BGP/OSPF right? and Internet Multi-pathing? Your system would flag accounts that happen to jump routes and change source IP’s due to BGP topology changes too.

You guys need to change your security measures. Mass banning accounts based on source IP is the STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard of. Especially since accounts that are banned via this method need tickets opened with your helpdesk. You are just burning $$$ by going this route. There are many other/better ways to run security.

One would be to enforce every account to use the email authentication system you have setup with GW2. They change IP the system blocks access until they accept said email. Sames goes for mobile authenticator.

I’m not sure I understand this correctly but routing doesn’t change source IP in the header. IPsec in tunnel mode does, though.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Except that A LOT of hacked accounts also have had their email hacked, so your suggestion is completely negated since they can log into the email and just “poof” fix the issue.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Flint Lightning.1468

Flint Lightning.1468

Gratz on fixing this screw up & admitting to it now when are you fixing your GW bungle?

Posted by: Torture.9156

Torture.9156

Many people are using VPN connections because of the massive lags and dcs while playing GW2 during the last half year.