Black Lion not working

Black Lion not working

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Bohtwhap.3249

Bohtwhap.3249

Since two days ago, the Black Lion Trading Company window has responded only one time. When I open it, the only tab that works is the Pick Up tab. All the other tabs just display the loading-circle-thing for a few seconds and then leaves the window empty. No error messages or anything.

I seem to be the only one with this problem. Here’s what I have tried so far:

• Turning it off an on again
  • Going back to Lions Arch where it did respond one time
  • Using another character
  • Going to WvW and Guesting other servers

I did submit a bug report similar to this post yesterday, but I currently have 38 rare items in my bags that I’m getting desperate to sell, so am now using all possible means to regain access to Black Lion. Sorry for any redundancy.

Attachments:

Black Lion not working

Posted by: Charlie.8726

Charlie.8726

I think because you use VPN, or your admin have no right to open it..
I dont know how to say this in word,

But try to open GW2 by right clicking and “Run as administrator”
hope this helps

Black Lion not working

Posted by: Kyllaa.1385

Kyllaa.1385

The tp not loading is a common issue. Sometimes deleting the gw2 caches can help. However, you could try this while in game:

1. Open your trading post
2. Open your options panel
3. Change the language to French
4. Wait for the trading post to reload in French
5. Change the language back to English (anglais)
6. Test trading post

Please let me know if this helps at all.

(edited by Kyllaa.1385)

Black Lion not working

Bohtwhap.3249

I’m not using VPN and running it at Administrator didn’t help. But thanks Charlie.

Todey, I also realised that the launcher isn’t able to fetch the news feed, and I actually believe that it has been unable to for some days now. It doesen’t fetch the awesomium browser before actually launching the game, so I’m not sure if the problem is directly connected to the browser. (Assuming for now that the issues with Black Lion and the news feed are connected)

I also tried changing the language to both German and French and then back to English (And trying to open the Black Lion window under all languages) but it didn’t work. I even tried changing the audio to German, which caused it to download 3 GB of audio data. (German speaking Charr are awesome though, I’m gonna keep it German for a while)

When I finally found where the cache were stored, I deleted the whole folder, but that didn’t help either. (Both as normal user and Administrator)

I also deleted (or moved) a lot of other GW2 files, which caused the loss of local settings, but Black Lion still won’t work.

When I get the time, (In a few days) I’ll try with my other computer. That way I should at least be able to determine if it’s a local issue. Which it probably is.

If so, I’ll just reinstall all 18 GB.

Thanks for the help, though.

Black Lion not working

Kyllaa.1385

You can actually copy your gw2.dat file to avoid having to re-download the whole thing again. Once you re-install the launcher, quit it, then copy the original .dat file back in (overwriting the new one) and restart the client, it should verify and only need to download some minor stuff including recent updates.

As for the language change, make sure to leave your trading post window open while making the changes, you should be able to watch the data in the trading post load/reload into the new language.

Good luck!

Black Lion not working

Posted by: sorcerak.9082

sorcerak.9082

Bohtwhap.3249 do you find any solution to this issue ?
And if you reinstall the game is it work now or not ?
Please tell us so i can know what to do.
Thank you

Black Lion not working

Bohtwhap.3249

Today, I got my other computer opened and tried it out, and, as I thought, Black Lion works fine there. Local issue verified.

I played a lot with the language settings. If I didn’t before, I have at least now tried to leave the trading post open, while changing. Still without luck. It reloads, but stays empty.

I tried reinstalling and keeping the .dat file, as you recommented, Kyllaa, but without luck. Though, redownloading (in progress as of writing) takes a lunckbreak where I live, so now I’m trying that out, though the launcher still can’t fetch news.

When I uninstall, a lot of traces (local settings and cache, etc.) are left on the system, which I tried to delete or move. I even took a risk, and deleted several keys from the registration database. Still no luck.

Few other things I have tried:

• Disabling firewall
  • Running directly from Administrator user (Not just “Run as Administrator”, that way has given me minor differences and issues before)
  • Talking softly to it

No luck.

I’m still very determined to fix the problem and next I will try to sum up its behavior so far, and determine some possible causes. Right now, I’m suspecting the firewall and antivirus software.

Will report back with results later.

P.S. That being a rather long and relaxed Saturday lunch break :)

Black Lion not working

Kyllaa.1385

Make sure your modem/router has its firewall disabled (as temporary anyway) also when you make an attempt next time, sometimes those are enabled by default. Considering we’ve undergone several billing maintenances in the last week or so, it’s possible something has changed that now conflicts with gw2. And if you suspect computer antivirus or firewall software, try to temporarily disable those completely as well.

That is usually one of the first troubleshooting steps for broken tp issues.

But either way, let us know how you go, and if you just can’t fix it, file a support ticket and post back here any help they give you that fixes this problem.

Black Lion not working

Bohtwhap.3249

Well, I had played a little around with AV and firewall, but only a tiny bit. Now I practically disabled and killed as much security as my knowledge about Windows would allow, disabling AV and firewall and even making firewall rules allowing anything, even spcifically the awesomium browser.
No luck.

Then I started changing DNS servers, should my ISP have messed something up.
No luck.

But… Then I tried booting my other computer (onwhich it had worked earlier today from another network) and started up GW2. Guess what, nothing worked. Excactly the same symptoms. I guess I was a little too quick about declaring it a local issue.

So now it seemed that it was an issue with my network, and I started checking the network. No matter what, the host didn’t even respond. Completely dead silent.

This leads me to the conclution that either does my network specifically not allow connections to this particular IP address or more likely, there is a routing issue somewhere.

Sadly, this is as far as my control reaches. This is a managed network and have no further means of solving the issue other than contacting the network admins. On the bright side, the problem isn’t on my end.

So, sorcerak.9082, my conclution for now is that my network is the problem, which means that reinstalling will not help. If you are having the same problem, my best advice to you is to login to GW2 from a completely different place and see if it helps. I can quickly sum up the excact symptoms of my problem, so you can compare it with yours:

When opened, the Trading Post shows the yellow loading circle for some seconds and then disappears, leaving the window empty. Only the Pick Up tab works. The launcher is unable to fetch the latest news normally displayed before starting up GW2. (Assuming you do not have the Auto-Play option enabled)

Black Lion not working

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Try re-installing Flash Player:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Note There are two versions of Flash Player. One is the ActiveX control (which is required for Internet Explorer), the other is a plugin that Firefox uses. If you have Firefox installed, install both versions.

Black Lion not working

Bohtwhap.3249

Thank you, for the tip, abnomally

But I have never even had Flash installed. Not here and not on my other computer, where it works fine. (On another network that is)

The only general thing I have observed till now is that network packets are sent to the Trading Post service and nothing is returned.

So either my network disallows this service or has an ongoing routing issue or the Trading Post web server lies behind a firewall rule that for some reason hates my IP.

Black Lion not working

Kyllaa.1385

If you are on a “public” (as opposed to private, personally registered) Internet connection, yes, you most likely will have tp issues and possibly game connection problems. Lol, I almost always ask peeps if they are on a public or private network and typically that is ignored or I receive a sarcastic “it’s mine” response… The one time I didn’t, is the one time it might have mattered. Typical ;p

Gw2 only needs 4 ports with full access, unfortunately, port 80, is a common one you don’t want unfiltered. But perhaps, you might want o contact your admins and ask them about it… Unless it’s uni, then no dice most likely.

Black Lion not working

Posted by: sorcerak.9082

sorcerak.9082

Black Lion not working

Bohtwhap.3249

Well, it’s a managed, public, shared network, but it’s not resticted. We have full access to all ports and IPs, so it should not be a problem and it hasn’t been before. But it also hasn’t been completely free of errors and I will try to contact the admins. Thanks for your efforts, Kyllaa :)

sorcerak.9082, yes, I saw your thread yesterday. Good you got it fixed. :) Unfortunately for me, we don’t have the same problem. But thanks for coming back and telling me, that is good Karma!
Actually, I might even try that anyway. I have seen problems solved with completely unexpected solutions before.

Black Lion not working

Kyllaa.1385

Lol, I would definitely try it, just in case

Good luck!

Black Lion not working

Bohtwhap.3249

Okay, tried it without luck. Though I think I got an out of date version of the update program. Thanks still.

I tried using a VPN connection and as I thought, both the launcher news and the TP worked again, albeit slowly. But at least now I know that untill the problem is resolved, I can just make a quick visit through VPN when I need the TP.

Black Lion not working

Kyllaa.1385

You may need to change the dns addresses your computer uses then. I forgot some users need to do this. There were several threads on this forum explaining how to do this. Something in your network settings.

Black Lion not working

Posted by: emtea.6931

emtea.6931

I have exactly the same problem as Bohtwhap describes.

I do not think it is a local network problem!

If I use my desktop PC, can not access BLTC. If I use my laptop, works fine. Same network, same network settings…

Both systems running windows 7, desktop PC runs amd/ati video and laptop nvidia.

I have tried all “fixes” recommended in this thread and the other thread with no luck, it is very frustrating!

Black Lion not working

Kyllaa.1385

If you can’t get a resolution, view the sticky about submitting a ticket in this forum and do so, then post your fix here in case it could help others.

Black Lion not working

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Since two days ago, the Black Lion Trading Company window has responded only one time. When I open it, the only tab that works is the Pick Up tab. All the other tabs just display the loading-circle-thing for a few seconds and then leaves the window empty. No error messages or anything.

I did submit a bug report similar to this post yesterday, but I currently have 38 rare items in my bags that I’m getting desperate to sell, so am now using all possible means to regain access to Black Lion. Sorry for any redundancy.

Unless you were virused or had an attack of malware, you need to go through the HORRID support that they have here.

After almost 10 hours of CONSTANT communication from ME – and after doing everything in the world I can do from my side:

re-logging (so many times there is no WAY to know how many)

re-booting (until I am so frustrated I can barely function)

and then finally at 3am or so I reinstalled the whole game…

It’s NOT on my side and _*they_* know it, they just won’t escalate this problem that has come up for so many people not once, but MANY times since the beginning of the game – I’ve had this issue since day one in some form or another every single WEEK.

I was diligent, they were not.

I was communicative, they were not.

They finally gave it to ONE single person who kept repeating that it was my fault and to do this that and the other (Directx and all internal and softwware settings were checked, they KNOW it isn’t the USER) and still after ten plus hours I could only use the default settings and still could NOT interact with the merchants or the marketplace or ANY of the features of the game and the right mouse click was completely gone – no way to set it to stick no matter what the settings were set to… and boy did I set them!

CUTTING AND PASTING is not a way to communicate with customers but that is all these people do because frankly, I don’t think they comprehend what we are saying enough TO respond – our language barrier seems to be complete along with the fact that they won’t escalate a single thing that one can figure out…

It feels to me like we are being treated like no more than the NPCs in the game.

I hope upon hope that they see that they have a flaw in their database somewhere – this is happening to many and most just leave the game without complaining, if there weren’t people , like us, who would will not accept this, the game would be a desert!

I am disabled, this was just exhausting to someone who just wants to play the game for physical and mental therapy – seriously.

Now if you have read this far you may be thinking that I didn’t do enough -you are certainly entitled to that opinion but just know that while I do not code I have beta tested every game from DOOM on except this one (maybe I should have).

I have over 25 YEARS of computer, network, hardware, software and security experience with some useless MS certs and A+ nonsense, so some of you will say so what, but what that *_should*_ tell you is that many of us are being lied to by this game – and treated like the problems are on our side when they are easily seen by any first year tech as NOT being on the customer side.

I am a subject matter expert and what this looks like is a failure on the server side to keep settings for each account properly, the database is not hooking to and keeping person’s computer settings properly and that will NEVER be fixed on the customer side.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

(edited by atheria.2837)

Black Lion not working

atheria.2837

I think because you use VPN, or your admin have no right to open it..
I dont know how to say this in word,

But try to open GW2 by right clicking and “Run as administrator”
hope this helps

This particular problem has nothing to do with running as admin or anything on the user’s side.

I have had this every single week since the beginning of the game – and not one week has gone by that I didn’t have the same issue.

The database corruption between server and client is getting corrupted somewhere, either at the server end or what the server is sending and telling us to “save”.

I did every single troubleshooting action possible from relogging to rebooting to reinstalling – the game is presently working and I didn’t change a thing from “reinstallation” to “working”.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Black Lion not working

atheria.2837

Is your Lion Company working yet?

Did you file a support ticket?

Let us know if you had any success or…?

Black Lion not working

Bohtwhap.3249

Kyllaa, do you mean on the inside of my network or the outside? (The one exposed to the Internet)
Either way, I can’t do that. We use a DHCP server that I have no control over and I certainly don’t have access to get the external IP changed.
I still think it’s an error somewhere on this network, that I have no control over. Now that the weekend is over, I can probably find a way to contact the admins. If there’s no error on the network, I’ll look into the support ticket stuff and post anything helpful. :)
btw, Do you think it is possible that it could be a misconfigured firewall rule on the server side? Just wondering, in case the admins find no error here.

emtea, I don’t think we have the same problem. My issue is almost certainly a network fault. On my other computer it works fine from other networks, but not at home and it even works fine on my main computer if I use VPN.

atheria(1): I’m not sure how to respond to all this. At least you make your situation and opinion clear, though maybe a bit aggressive for my personal taste. I don’t wanna start anything too wild here.

atheria(2): Well, Windows can be pretty complicated to troubleshoot. The TP is viewed through an internal browser that is put in a temp folder when the game starts. Windows Firewall is capable of blocking network communications for even a particular executable file. Windows can get some weird problems sometimes. Changing the user can sometimes resolve issues in very unexpected ways. I have seen that happen before. :)

atheria(3): As I mentioned, for now it works if I use VPN or go to another network. If the network admins can find ne error on our network, I may file a support ticket and ask if they could check wether their firewall for some reason should be blocking my IP. I will let you know :)

Black Lion not working

Kyllaa.1385

Here we go, took me a tick to find them since the forum search isn’t working…

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

If you follow the links, it will take you to directions to try their DNS, it’s on your end, so it shouldn’t affect your admins. However, it’s possible that because it seems you are on a public connection, you will have absolutely no control over what ports you need and have access to. Gw2 needs 4 ports. And yes, connection side firewalls can block access to specific things, but not others. Gw2 uses the awesomium process for the tp, which could be getting blocked exclusively, tunneling with VPN coud be potentially bypassing that. If you can, you should definitely contact your admins and ask if they’ve changed anything recently. You may just need to continue using VPN to do so…

So the Dns bit I posted may not help, but worth a shot, write down the dns addresses your system is currently using and save them just in case.

I’ll edit this post in a few minutes with a link that tells you the 4 ports gw2 uses.

https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8994/~error-codes

If you click on code 7, it will show the 4 ports needed by gw2. Sorry, I couldn’t find the post I was looking for in which someone stated specifics about the ports, but this gives you an idea of what you need to work with (you don’t need port forwarding specifically, just be certain access is not blocked by your admins).

(edited by Kyllaa.1385)

Black Lion not working

Posted by: Gadian.4792

Gadian.4792

I have exactly the same problem (even down to being able to access TP one day and then problems started again, and also my news feed isn’t working). Same issue with my laptop so tried changing to my mobile broadband and boom, TP and newsfeed working just fine. Changing back to my normal network, TP lost again. So far I’ve had zero problems with my network even though it’s university network, so I fail to understand what has changed so radically to cause this problem. Don’t know much about ports and stuff so I’m hoping for some assistance to help me resolve this issue but atleast I know where the problem is now and got to empty my inventory which was just about bursting.

Gadi ~ the pink norn of Desolation
Thousand Lakes Alliance [TLA]

Black Lion not working

Kyllaa.1385

Universities tend to fluctuate security features often, so what works fine one day, might not the next and vice versa. You could always contact them and ask if they’ve blocked some ports recently, but they may not tell you due to security, etc.

It’s also possible that during the gemstore and billing maintenance, Anet might have changed the way some things work and perhaps that doesn’t jive with security features that were already in place at your uni.

Anytime you are dealing with a public or uni network connection, you should never expect things to just work perfectly, but if they do, consider it luck. However, be weary for the future that it may not work.

Gadian, you may also benefit from using VPN, as Bohtwhap mentioned, to bypass your uni’s network security settings.

(edited by Kyllaa.1385)

Black Lion not working

Posted by: AcmeFunk.4287

AcmeFunk.4287

Same problem and make feel just a little better that i’m not the only one, i was thinking that i was cursed for some other players hat i killed in game lol

Black Lion not working

Posted by: AcmeFunk.4287

AcmeFunk.4287

SOLVED:

1. Close out of Guild Wars 2 if you have it running and go to your Documents folder. In the Guild Wars 2 folder you should have a file called Local.dat, delete this file.

2. Download the program from the link below:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/rootsupd.exe

3. Run the program. You will probably have to click ‘run’ or ‘allow’ a couple times, but after that, nothing will appear.

If you run the program and nothing happens that’s ok, it is as it should be.

4. Open the Game Client and try to access the trading post.

Black Lion not working

Gadian.4792

AcmeFunk, I thought we had established that this is not a local problem as we can access the TP using other network or VPN. I’ve also tried deleting the local.dat file and it is not working. Also the link you provided, I tried it and still didn’t work so I checked my updates also and still not working. Good for you if you got you issues solved though and thanks for the info.

I’ve contacted my network elders and they tell me there’s been some port adjustments in our network so they are checking out wether the ports I need have been blocked. Told me they can unblock them too if major safety issues are not involved. Love my elders and love my network, and I refuse to be weary of them (you propably meant wary).

(edited by Gadian.4792)

Black Lion not working

Kyllaa.1385

Acme, glad you finally tried sorcerak’s suggestion and it worked for you, but then yours was definitely not the same as the op or Gadian.

Gadian, please keep us updated if your problem is resolved by unblocking those ports

Black Lion not working

Bohtwhap.3249

This happened so late at night, that I didn’t get around to post about it.
I was just about to send an email to my network admins. When I found the file with the socket that I couldn’t access, I just tried connecting again to verify and boom, I had a successful connection, so I opened GW2 and it suddenly worked fine. Now I’ll probably never know if the problem was on my network or Anets. =(
But it works! :D

About the stuff about blocking ports, I can’t see how the TP should be the first to suffer from that particular issue. Even strict network settings normally whitelist port 80 and 443 and the TP is just a webservice running over a TLS connection. (TLS = secure connection on port 443.)
I do suspect that a faulty firewall setting has been in effect. (If they removed errors from the firewall, it might also work for others now)

I don’t know how Anet manages security, but I could imagine that they simply block networks, from which they have seen abuse. So if someone on my network has gotten himself banned, I might have run into a block intended for someone else. But that still seems odd to me. I could still play the game, so they would have IP block on the TP only.

Anyway, now it works for me. I’d be happy to help if there’s something I could do.

Black Lion not working

Gadian.4792

By the way, logged in tonight and everything worked fine. A bit eery since I hadn’t done anything or heard back from my network elders. But I’ll let you know when they get back to me and I know if they have unblocked any ports for my benefit. Or maybe this was just a one timer, since it has happened before.

Black Lion not working

Gadian.4792

Update on the issue: my network told me that no ports running this game were blocked and this is not a network issue. Also, this same problem returned again a couple days ago. I think this has something to do with occasionally playing with my laptop and mobile broadband. I believe this will fix itself again eventually but just thought to let you guys know.

Black Lion not working

Kyllaa.1385

Have you tried a VPN yet?