Black screen caused by extreme GPU overheating

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: ors.1398

ors.1398

Q:

Hello,
I’m having some serious issues with GPU temperatures while playing GW2. I’m monitoring performance at all times and getting temperatures as high as 110 C, at which point my system crashes and I have to restart manually.
My GPU is old, I know, but it’s within the system requirements – NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX

Things I tried that didn’t work:
1. Thoroughly cleaned the GPU so it’s dust-free.
2. Updated drivers to the latest version from the manufacturer’s website.
3. Set the game settings to LOW and I’m playing in windowed mode.
4. Downloaded a program to manually control fan speed, but even at 100% fan speed I got 104C at the character screen.

If there is anything else I can try, please share!
I’m not having these temperatures while playing other games, only with GW2. (Not playing any graphic-intense games though, so can’t compare that much. Other MMOs seem to work fine.)
Also noting that my PC is not close to any walls, one side is open so i can make sure that the fan is actually spinning..and the room temperature is about 20C, so this shouldn’t be a problem.
I really hope that I won’t have to buy a new GPU
Thanks in advance!

Posted by: Swedemon.4670

Swedemon.4670

A:

One of my HD 5770 cards was running in the mid 90’s. So I unscrewed the bottom to remove the heatsink, used Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the surface of the CPU and heatsink, applied some thermal paste, reattached and my temperatures dropped to max 65-70c.

It was an ASUS card and whoever installed it originally put WAY too much thermal paste that was actually preventing proper cooling.

Other things to help is to try to reduce clutter within your case and ensure there are 2 or 3 good fans feeding in and out air properly… in the front and out the back of the case.

Posted by: ors.1398

ors.1398

Thank you so much, Swedemon!
The thermal paste turned out to be the problem, I wouldn’t have thought of that!
Cheers