Buying Ascended gear with Laurels

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Amoledkill.7824

Amoledkill.7824

So I had saved up to 25 Laurels this morning. When I entered EB I descided it was time to get myself some nice Ascended gear from the Laurels I had.

There I was, buying an Ascended Ring from the Laurels merchant in EB. Because I already bought an Ascended Ring from this merchant before, I thought it would be cool if I had two of the same Rings. Also because the Ring was named after the glorious Dolyaks.

So I bought it, and spend my 25 Laurels on this Ring. When I tried to equip the Ring, it seemed I couldn’t. After a moment of panic, I realised it’s not possible to wear two of the same Rings. Not even when they’re Ascended.

So those were 25 Laurels poorly spent. Though it was my very own fault for liking Dolyaks too much, a small warning when I bought the Ring would have been nice. At least that would have saved me the trouble I have to go through now to get another 25 Laurels… Perhaps an idea for a future patch? I’m sure I’m not the only one who has ever been through this

I hope you guys from Arenanet take my request into consideration. Happy holidays!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

As it is account-bound, you can use it on another character.

You can contact the CS Team and ask for assistance. Top of Page – Support – Submit a Request.

Good luck.

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

You get a warning when you try to buy an ascended with Laurels, if I recall correctly.. And every of those ascended trinkets is “unique”, which means that you can only wear one at a time..

All the information was there when you bought the ring, so I don’t think that ANet will even glance at your request.. Let it be a lesson for the next time you buy a ring! ;-)

And as stated above: You can use that ring on another of your characters, they are all account-bound

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The CS Team has replaced the trinkets with others in the past, but since they have become account-bound, the policy may have changed. You can only find out by submitting a request.

Good luck.

Posted by: Dragon Ruler X.8512

Dragon Ruler X.8512

I entirely agree. Many things are not fully explained prior purchase in this game.

A strong suggestion would be to not buy rings with laurels as they can be obtained for free and very easily in fractals either as a reward or by using only 10 Pristine Fractal Relics.

Accessories would be wisely purchased from guild vendors using Guild Commendations rather than laurels as well.

Amulets should be purchased on WvW as they have the discount of -5 laurels for 250 badges which is rather easy to come by.

Best of luck

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Actually, the item does say UNIQUE and the GW2 Wiki explains it as well. The Ascended rings/trinkets/etc already have a lot of information on it so adding more will just be even more crowded. Most of the information about this is available on their resource page, and even in game you can /wiki x (x is your search) and it brings up a web page with the information.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Dragon Ruler X.8512

Dragon Ruler X.8512

Ellieanna is correct, but at the same time a bit off base.

The OP was referring to the lack of direct warning/description the game provides. Though Wiki is widely used along with Dulfy – it SHOULD NOT be a mandatory rule book for all players to read. It has its uses, indeed, but it’s not supposed to be something that players are forced to use if they want to avoid making poor decisions. All information should be readily available IN THE GAME. Despite the fact that the item is denoted as “Unique” one can argue the point that it doesn’t explicitly state anywhere in the game that you may only equip ONE “Unique” item on a character at a time.

Therefore the OP’s original statement still holds.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Actually, the wiki is how Anet gets all the massive amounts of information collected and controlled for the players. There is only so much you can put into the game before it becomes cluttered. You know when you have a single player game that used to come with a game book? Or a board game with an instruction set. The wiki is that for GW2. Even look at the top of this screen, Wiki is one of the links.

Taken directly from the Wiki.

Unique

Unique is an item property that allows you to equip only one item with that specific name. For ascended equipment, this generally means you cannot double up on the same stat combination with accessories or rings. However, you may work around this by equipping a unique item and its infused version at the same time. Often, another unique item offers identical stats, differing only in the type of infusion slot available.

When you click on Wiki (at the top), the main page, under Economy – Items – Unique Items.

It’s not even hard to find it IF people use the resources Anet applies.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Amoledkill.7824

Amoledkill.7824

So I am expected to check Wikipedia everytime I want to make an in-game purchase?

The fact that it is described in this Wikipedia doesn’t mean I should have known about Unique items. Why allow me to buy them anyways if I already have one? A simple warning before buying a copy of an Ascended item could have helped alot.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It is always prudent to check resources before making a costly purchase to avoid situations you might rue.

Regardless, either pass the trinket to another character since they are account-bound (which enables a player the convenience of purchasing with any character on the account, instead of having to bring a particular character for each purchase), or contact the CS Team for assistance.

Best of luck.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Quote the wiki:

“Wiki content is created, maintained, and administrated by players. "

Why would one expect to find reliable rules of the game there?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, it is the Official ArenaNet Guild Wars 2 Wiki.

“The Guild Wars 2 Wiki is the official wiki for Guild Wars 2. It is hosted by ArenaNet for the Guild Wars 2 community to be managed and shaped by the community.”

It is true that there may be, at times, information that may not be as accurate as possible, but for the most part, information is verified by those contributing, and they take pride in doing so.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

The OP’s point remains, there’s a disturbing lack of clarity in item descriptions.

I ran into another one earlier. I found an Endless Mordrem Thrasher Tonic, planned to sell it because I have no interest in tonics. I thought I’d give it a spin though, like I did with the endless quaggan tonics I got during the LA siege events. It changed to account bound despite there not being any text to indicate that it would. Thanks a lot.

There’s also a complete lack of any indication for items as to whether or not they can be salvaged or thrown in the mystic forge.