Buying hard copy of HOT with existing account

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: ian.1943

ian.1943

I was thinking of buying a hard copy of HOT next Friday instead of pre ordering so i don’t need to download a 30gig file. I was wondering with the new copy of the game will entering the game key interfere with my existing account in any way. I’m guessing the game key is just to make sure it’s not an illegal copy. Or is the game key tied to my account and ill need to change something at some point.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Even buying a hard copy you’ll still be required to download a very large number of files. Discs cannot keep up with the frequent patches that go on with MMOs.

Keep in mind that buying a digital copy of Heart of Thorns doesn’t mean you have to download 30GB. It uses the exact same launcher as GW2 and the GW2 launcher will patch everyones game when HoT releases. So if you’ve already got GW2 installed patching it when HoT releases shouldn’t actually be too big a download.

The game key is tied to your account. If you want to make your existing account a HoT account then you’ll need to apply the new key to your existing account. Otherwise you would end up making a new account and having to play the existing game content again to reach the HoT content.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The game will patch the HoT files, and has been for some time, whether you purchase a key or not.

Buying a hard copy may just afford you a Serial Key, anyway. No guarantee there will be any discs in the box.

Good luck.