Can't Click NPC's, resources etc

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Zoidy.2685

Zoidy.2685

In the last week or two I have noticed a rather annoying bug regarding the mouse, randomly after playing for a several hours or so I find that I cant click on anything like NPC’s, Mobs or Crafting nodes etc. If I exit the game and log back in again it starts to work again. This is a real annoyance when your in the middle of a dungeon and your the leader as you cant just exit the game to fix the bug as the whole party gets kicked out of the dungeon and you also really cant do the same thing when doing fractals either.
Anyone else game across this issue with the mouse randomly stopping you from clicking on a NPC, Mob or item to target?

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

First to note, this should probably be in the bugs sub-forum, not in the Technical Support sub-forum.

I have ran into this bug before, it normally happens a couple times a month and I can’t remember when it started, but it was at least 4-5 months ago. I do the same as you to resolve it, I pop a quick alt-f4 out of anger and re-log into the game. It fixes the problem and I move on my merry way.

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

Zoidy.2685

First to note, this should probably be in the bugs sub-forum, not in the Technical Support sub-forum.

I have ran into this bug before, it normally happens a couple times a month and I can’t remember when it started, but it was at least 4-5 months ago. I do the same as you to resolve it, I pop a quick alt-f4 out of anger and re-log into the game. It fixes the problem and I move on my merry way.

That was where I posted this topic originally and its been almost a week or so and not a single reply. Hence why I tried here. I usually find posting anything on these forums to be a complete and utter waste of time as 99% of the time no one reads the topic/post let alone answer any of them as most of the time the topics you post get drowned out with newer ones before anyone can even get a glimpse of your topic.

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Currently your best bet it to submit a bug report and continue trucking along. Other than that, I don’t think there is a solution. Perhaps we’re using the same mice? I have a Razer Naga.

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Hi Zoidy – I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing this issue for so long. If you feel this is a bug, I would highly recommend submitting a bug report though this is the first instance I’ve heard of a player encountering this problem.

That being said, I’d like to collect a Game Advisor report so I can look into why you might be experiencing this issue. You can download the Game Advisor application at the link below:

http://us.ncsoft.com/gameadvisor/

Please note that you will be automatically prompted to install Game Advisor upon clicking the link. Once you’ve generated the report, you can attach it to this thread by clicking “More posting & formatting options…”

Zoidy.2685

I doubt its my mouse as its only started and I’ve had my mouse for some time now.

Thank you Ashley Segovia for your reply, it’s great to know Arenanet does in fact read these forms and pay attention as well as care. Other may say differently or have said differently in the past. I’ve not had the mouse bug in the last couple of days since the latest patch but its pretty random so I’ll generate a report for you and attach it to the thread as knowing my luck the bug will pop-up after saying that it hasn’t for a couple of days.

Report attached as requested.

(edited by Zoidy.2685)

Zoidy.2685

The bug is back, can’t click on any NPC’s etc again. Really frustrating =/

Posted by: Nefera.4568

Nefera.4568

I remember having the same bug a long time ago, I remember the devs even posting something about it. I can’t remember what caused it though, but either way, restarting the game always fixed it for me.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Just restart the game and it’ll fix itself.

Even if Anet technical support is apparently unaware of it, this is a well known bug that happens frequently. You cannot click on anything in the world (but you can click on the UI just fine), so you have to tab to target mobs, for example. Happens several times a week for me. Not so bad when you can just restart, a little worse if you dont notice it until you’re inside WvW on primetime :/

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Hi Zoidy – I’m sorry to hear that this issue has popped up again. First, have you tried repairing the game client? Secondly, I’d recommend updating your Windows to SP1.

Lastly, I’d recommend running a Windows command called Msconfig to eliminate the possibility of another program interfering with the client.

Posted by: Kyllaa.1385

Kyllaa.1385

This isn’t just a windows issue! It happens on Mac. I made a post about it in the Mac forums along with several others months ago, but we never got word back as the Mac forums are no longer monitored (even now, I await a response 2 weeks already to verify that Anet is no longer moderating or supporting the Mac forums). I’ve also filed several in-game bug reports sometimes while the bug is active and other times after the restart.

The only fix is a whole client restart. I’ve repaired, deleted my gw2 folder contents, repairs system permissions, all updates complete, and still this bug persists.

I can’t duplicate it, it just happens randomly when it feels like it. I’ve noticed it more in the Bloodtide Coast, but I’ve experienced it in dungeons as well (making me a detriment to the group as I was a minion necro with no control over my target) and other locations, so I doubt that is relevant. Oddly enough, I can still use the mouse to cast skills and use the ui, but I cannot interact with the game world using the mouse in anyway (nodes, npcs, selecting targets, nothing). [forgot to add] this also affects the touch pad, when I tab out, the mouse works perfectly everywhere else, when I tab back in, the issue still exists despite working 2 seconds prior everywhere else.

Would love to finally hear something about this… Sorry guys, but I’m glad to finally see a pc person with this issue, maybe it will finally get the attention it needs. Because it makes the game nearly unplayable and causes sticky, unsurvivable conditions.

Thanks and looking forward to future responses.

(edited by Kyllaa.1385)

Posted by: Wolf Fivousix.4319

Wolf Fivousix.4319

I get that rarely too….. has been like a month or so since the last time.

@Zoidy, yes, you can logout and comeback to the game even being the leader/creator of the instance, you should just be carefull to not login with another character, since that’s what make the instance reset.

// Dragonbrand
Wolf Fivousix – Elementalist
Black Wolf Trading Tool

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

I noticed this bug today.

Normally, it’s not an issue for me because I use TAB a lot. I also noticed that (usually) after using the TAB key the problem goes away for a while.

Posted by: krippler.9826

krippler.9826

I see this issue every now and then and its extremely annoying, especially when I’m on a wvw map with a long queue.

Kyllaa.1385

Tab never fixed it for me

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I get this sometimes and only restarting the game fixes it.

But in my particular case even though my mouse no longer can select entities and “target closest/next X” keys no longer works, getting close to something and using F still works, and I can still hit with skills, and, weird enough, auto-targeting also still works when I activate skills.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Lexy.3912

Lexy.3912

Yep, I also have this issue on a regular basis, probably every couple of days. As the OP says it happens randomly after playing for some time and relogging is the only fix.

My GW2 Project 365 – building a picture of a year in Tyria
The #GW2Project365 on Twitter
Proudly representing The Legion of Honour [XIII] on Tarnished Coast

Kyllaa.1385

Auto-targeting works, but half the time, you auto-target a baddie farther away and end up pulling 2 o.O

And when downed by several guys at a time, it can make targeting the one with lowest health a challenge when combined with the random target change bug… Tab targeting to the right guy (lowest health, killable) to kill is enough time to get you killed, especially when you target a non-engaged baddie while downed (yes, that’s happened to me lol)

Zoidy.2685

I’m glad to know its not just me that’s having this problem, even better to have Arenanet acknowledged and reply to my issue.

My windows is up to date to the point that there is no more updates unless ones came out in the last week since I updated last. I highly doubt its a windows issue as I’ve never had the problem since either The Gathering Storm or Flame and Frost. Not sure which one but the issue been pretty recent anyway.

I’ll give the Tab Key solution a try the next time it happens if I remember that is and I’ll let you know how I get on.

Oh and as for doing a client repair, I’ve done several of them and made absolutely no difference at all as far as i could see there was no errors or files corrupted detected.

Posted by: HugoCosta.6735

HugoCosta.6735

Same issue here!

Posted by: Irkm Desmet.3928

Irkm Desmet.3928

I’m having the same problem from time to time. It’s not very often, but it’s annoying enough.

I wanted to add, since no one mentioned this before, that i think the bug is not realy that you can’t klick. The game actually no longer realizes that the mouse is hovering over an object in the world. Normally object/NPCs the mouse hovers over are painted with an border. This no longer is the case for me when i encounter this bug.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: iceey.1607

iceey.1607

I’ve had this happen a number of times since November and I have not yet been able to tell how to replicate it. It is annoying though, as the only way to fix it is to restart the game client.

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

I get this all the time. Sometimes have to restart the client several times before it goes away.

Posted by: Jareth.4813

Jareth.4813

Yeah same.

Get this regularly (well, regularly enough to be annoying) and the only way I’ve found to fix it is to restart the client.

Can still click to place skills or select items in inventory, just can’t click to target anything.

(edited by Jareth.4813)

Posted by: Leuddian.3057

Leuddian.3057

Just want to say that I get this bug here and there as well. It usually goes away upon restarting the client.

Also like to point out that from my experience, it only starts after changing zones. I’ve never seen this bug start out of no where during gameplay.

Kyllaa.1385

Leuddian, I find similar instances as well. I mostly notice it after zoning in, on rare occasion, it will occur all on it’s own randomly.

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

In the last week or two I have noticed a rather annoying bug regarding the mouse, randomly after playing for a several hours or so I find that I cant click on anything like NPC’s, Mobs or Crafting nodes etc. If I exit the game and log back in again it starts to work again. This is a real annoyance when your in the middle of a dungeon and your the leader as you cant just exit the game to fix the bug as the whole party gets kicked out of the dungeon and you also really cant do the same thing when doing fractals either.
Anyone else game across this issue with the mouse randomly stopping you from clicking on a NPC, Mob or item to target?

I have that issue now – it hasn’t been fixed and I am reinstalling the game for the THIRD time in less than two months.

I am sad for the state of the game whatever it is – we don’t seem to be getting many answers.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

atheria.2837

Just restart the game and it’ll fix itself.

Even if Anet technical support is apparently unaware of it, this is a well known bug that happens frequently. You cannot click on anything in the world (but you can click on the UI just fine), so you have to tab to target mobs, for example. Happens several times a week for me. Not so bad when you can just restart, a little worse if you dont notice it until you’re inside WvW on primetime :/

No, it won’t fix itself.

I just sat through re-installation for two hours not just a re-log or reboot BOTH of which I tried BEFORE I reinstalled.

I am bugged or I am muted – if it’s a mute there is no accompanying email or ingame notification.

And why in the world is the download SO slow when I have a 50mb pipeline???

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

atheria.2837

This isn’t just a windows issue! It happens on Mac. I made a post about it in the Mac forums along with several others months ago, but we never got word back as the Mac forums are no longer monitored (even now, I await a response 2 weeks already to verify that Anet is no longer moderating or supporting the Mac forums). I’ve also filed several in-game bug reports sometimes while the bug is active and other times after the restart.

The only fix is a whole client restart. I’ve repaired, deleted my gw2 folder contents, repairs system permissions, all updates complete, and still this bug persists.

I can’t duplicate it, it just happens randomly when it feels like it. I’ve noticed it more in the Bloodtide Coast, but I’ve experienced it in dungeons as well (making me a detriment to the group as I was a minion necro with no control over my target) and other locations, so I doubt that is relevant. Oddly enough, I can still use the mouse to cast skills and use the ui, but I cannot interact with the game world using the mouse in anyway (nodes, npcs, selecting targets, nothing). [forgot to add] this also affects the touch pad, when I tab out, the mouse works perfectly everywhere else, when I tab back in, the issue still exists despite working 2 seconds prior everywhere else.

Would love to finally hear something about this… Sorry guys, but I’m glad to finally see a pc person with this issue, maybe it will finally get the attention it needs. Because it makes the game nearly unplayable and causes sticky, unsurvivable conditions.

Thanks and looking forward to future responses.

When devs start telling us it is the fault of the OS without a single proof, that’s where many draw the line, this is NOT a Windows issue.

Kyllaa.1385

Atheria, I don’t think anyone blamed an os, I was just trying to let the support peeps know that this is an issue for all users and could occur at anytime.

I also don’t think anyone has an answer for fixing this, however, you could try to delete your local.dat file under my documents/guild wars 2 and see if it helps with yours… At least a temporary fix.

There is some issue somewhere in the game that causes mouse issues for many, they come and go, but also persist for some.

As I stated before, I haven’t had this specific problem as often ately, but os I’m starting to get different issues with the mouse, so I’m not sure if this has been due to recent optimisations of the game, but it seems to be manifesting differently in Mac and windows.