Can't create 2nd account, no support access.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Michael.9403

Michael.9403

I purchased and attempted to register a 2nd account. I chose the option to link it to my first account, but only succeeded in getting a new display name for my 1st account. (the Muchael.9403 is about 1 hour old, you are seeing my first use of it, but my original game account and all my previous posts under that display name have been insta-converted to the new display name.

My current cast of 5 heros seems to be safe, under my old userid and password but new display name.

However, I have now 2 Serial Codes, but only one account I can play I would like to get that fixed. I can readily prove who I am in real life and prove that I bought them to the support people if I only could contact them.

I go to the support and try to put in a ticket, but it requires a support ID and password. My current id and password that get me into the game andinto the forums won’t work, so I dutifully try to create a new one. It won’t give me a new one because if finds another account has my email. Of course it does. I only have one email and my game account has is, as does my forum account. So, can’t login to support because can’t create an ID. I’m not going to make a fake email address just to contact support.

Any ideas on how to get support help?

What I’d really like is to call some support number, wait the requisite 45 mins for someone to answer, deal with them for half an hour, and have this all fixed. Or the equivalent with online chat.

I see occasional indications that there is a Live Support, but find no way to reach it. Help on this would be appreciated too.

At the moment I’ve spent my money and am stalled out, not being able to even send in a suport request other than this forum.

TIA

(edited by Michael.9403)

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

As it’s been posted numerous times, there is no contact number for support. But there is an email address you can email them if you can’t access the support sight. I would try that. The forums aren’t monitored for support requests, only when a request was made, and there is an issue with that. They can’t create your ticket for you.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can not link two GW2 accounts, as far as I know, so that is where the difficulties started. You can only link a GW2 account to a GW1 account. You can contact support by email at this address: support@guildwars2.com

Good luck. =)

Michael.9403

As it’s been posted numerous times, there is no contact number for support. But there is an email address you can email them if you can’t access the support sight. I would try that. The forums aren’t monitored for support requests, only when a request was made, and there is an issue with that. They can’t create your ticket for you.

I understand there is no contact number. I merely opined I’d like to do it , since all the games Arenanet wishes GW2 to be like do have such numbers.

However, quoting the Support Forum Laison, Gaile Gray, in a stickied post on this forum:

“Submit a ticket using the “Ask a Question” tab on this page: http://support.guildwars2.com/ Please read the Announcements at the top of the front page, and remember to use the search engine before you post or enter Live Help.”

The implication is that there is live chat, probably online, and that prompted my question.

Michael.9403

You can not link two GW2 accounts, as far as I know, so that is where the difficulties started. You can only link a GW2 account to a GW1 account. You can contact support by email at this address: support@guildwars2.com

Good luck. =)

If one can’t do it, the software should not allow anything to happen, and I’d figure it out from there.

The directions imply you can link an account to a GW1 account, OR, you can upgrade an existing account.

What it did was to get rid of my old display name and replace it with a new one, all for the price of a new game.

Frankly, I like the old name, and certainly wouldn’t pay the cost of a new account to change it.

Fortunately I did not lose my characters, just my money.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can upgrade an existing account. Is that what you were trying to do? That is different from linking two accounts.

When upgrading an account, the numbers after a display name will change. At least, according to the many posts I’ve seen on the forums about it, that is what happens.

What were you, or are you, trying to accomplish with linking two accounts? If you were looking to add character slots, I am afraid that doesn’t work. The only thing you can really do is upgrade from a regular account to a deluxe account, and get the in-game deluxe items (edit: or from a trial account to a permanent account of either regular or deluxe). You can have two (or more) accounts, but they must each be separate.

I am sure Customer Support will help you once you have sent in a ticket, though. =)

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Michael — I want to thank you for pointing out those very old threads that refer to “Live Help.” That system hasn’t been available in a very long time, for we found that the wait times and the slowness of issue resolution made the entire concept less than effective. (In fact, I noticed your comments about the very same thing, so I imagine you’ve had negative experiences with other companies and their telephone or chat help.)

Submitting a ticket really is faster and the outcomes are more accurate. I’ve edited the post in which there was mention of “Live Help” so that there is no confusion about the matter.

I am not sure what you’re trying to do:

• If you are upgrading, you simply add the serial code to your existing account and you should be good to go.
  • If you are attempting to make a completely new account, register it from the outset with a different e-mail address than the one used on your first account.
  • If you are attempting to link a Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 account, you can do that from the registration interface.
  • If you are attempting to link two Guild Wars 2 accounts, that’s not possible.

I really encourage you to contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will be able to assist you.

For tips on what information to provide in a ticket, please read this post.

If you find you still need help after three days, feel free to post in the Tickets for Review thread, which is at the top of this Account Support sub-forum.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Michael.9403

Michael — I want to thank you for pointing out those very old threads that refer to “Live Help.” That system hasn’t been available in a very long time, for we found that the wait times and the slowness of issue resolution made the entire concept less than effective. (In fact, I noticed your comments about the very same thing, so I imagine you’ve had negative experiences with other companies and their telephone or chat help.)

Au contraire. I’ve had several accounts on both those 8 year running MMO’s, and while 45 minute wait times are normal, another half an hour and it’s fixed.

I’m already 12 hours into this problem, and it’s not even started being resolved. It would be trivial via phone. You offer a link for me to consult if the problem runs more than 3 days after I finally get it submitted. A day to get the problem into the hopper and 3 days to resolve it does not compare favorably to the other guy’s 45 minute wait on the phone, no matter how sarcastically we whine about it.

Submitting a ticket really is faster and the outcomes are more accurate. I’ve edited the post in which there was mention of “Live Help” so that there is no confusion about the matter.

As I understand it, to submit a ticket I must register a support account, and since it rejects my current (and only) email address as being used by another account (to wit, my game account) I seem to need to get another email address just for the support ticket? Is this true? It makes so little sense I think I must be doing something wrong.

Please advise

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

I am not sure what you’re trying to do:

• If you are upgrading, you simply add the serial code to your existing account and you should be good to go.
  • If you are attempting to make a completely new account, register it from the outset with a different e-mail address than the one used on your first account.
  • If you are attempting to link a Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 account, you can do that from the registration interface.
  • If you are attempting to link two Guild Wars 2 accounts, that’s not possible.

I really encourage you to contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will be able to assist you.

For tips on what information to provide in a ticket, please read this post.

If you find you still need help after three days, feel free to post in the Tickets for Review thread, which is at the top of this Account Support sub-forum.

If you search “Live Help” and “Guild Wars 2” it still brings up a page indicating the service is still in use (just offline due to it not being business hours).

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Au contraire. I’ve had several accounts on both those 8 year running MMO’s, and while 45 minute wait times are normal, another half an hour and it’s fixed.

I’m already 12 hours into this problem, and it’s not even started being resolved. It would be trivial via phone. You offer a link for me to consult if the problem runs more than 3 days after I finally get it submitted. A day to get the problem into the hopper and 3 days to resolve it does not compare favorably to the other guy’s 45 minute wait on the phone, no matter how sarcastically we whine about it.

As I understand it, to submit a ticket I must register a support account, and since it rejects my current (and only) email address as being used by another account (to wit, my game account) I seem to need to get another email address just for the support ticket? Is this true? It makes so little sense I think I must be doing something wrong.

Please advise

You don’t seriously expect a game with no monthly fee to have the same level of support as a game making over $180 million a month now do you? when you charge a monthly fee and over charge your players, you can afford to hire telephone support 24/7.
As to the time, if you had submitted a support ticket in the first place you would probably already have an answer. It is the weekend, outside normal business hours so the live chat would not have done you any good even if it was still available.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Please advise

You can contact Customer Support by emailing them at this address: support@guildwars2.com

No other email address needed. This is how I contacted them when my account was banned for allegedly selling gold, and thus could not use the email address associated with my account; the communication was quite prompt back and forth.

I am sure once you get in contact with Support, they will separate your two paid accounts. =)

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Michael, I hope this clarifies the situation.
Each GW2 game serial code is associated with its own account. Each account has its own email address associated with it. You cannot link multiple GW2 serial codes to a single account/login. Everything is separate.

You owned one serial code/copy of the game. Let’s call that “Copy1”

• Copy1 has an email address associated with it.
  • Copy1 also has its own forum account and forum username associated with it.
  • Copy1 also has its own support account that is linked to the email address.
  • Copy1’s support account login credentials should be created with a different password than the game login credentials for security reasons.

You have now purchased another copy of the game that has a different serial code with it. Let’s call this “Copy2”

• Copy2 must have a different email address associated with it than Copy1 has.
  • Copy2 will have a totally different forum account and forum username associated with it than Copy1 has.
  • Copy2 will have to have its own support account made since it has a different email address associated with this copy.
  • Copy2’s support account login credentials should be created with a different password than the game login credentials for security reasons.

This means each account must have its own email address associated with it.
You basically need to treat yourself as a completely different person when dealing with each of the accounts and everything basically needs to be done twice.

I recommend creating a log or journal to keep track of all your information for each of the two accounts so you can keep all information related to one separate from the other. And keep this log very safe for your personal use if you need it to refresh your memory of which account had which issue, if there are future issues.

Copy1:
Game Login Username
Game Login Password
Forum Login Name
Forum Login Password
Support Login Name
Support Login Password
Support Email Address
Support Email Address Password
Support Security Questions/Answers
Game Copy Serial Code

And then all of this same information saved for Copy2

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Michael.9403

Each GW2 game serial code is associated with its own account. Each account has its own email address associated with it. You cannot link multiple GW2 serial codes to a single account/login. Everything is separate.

• Copy1’s support account login credentials should be created with a different password than the game login credentials for security reasons.

At this point you have an error. Copy 1 cannot be supported with a support account that uses it’s email address. You will not be able to create a support account without a 2nd email address, a rather bizarre situation. One can create different usernames, different passwords, etc, but still will get an error message if you use the account email. Since I have only one public facing email account, I chose to see if there was a live contact method, which would expedite the process.

This was my first foray into a 2nd GW2 account, and then my first need of support. It unearthed the requirement to create 2 email addresses, one to support Copy 1, then one to register Copy 2. There is also the implicit requirment to create still a 3rd email account should Copy 2 need suppost. I’m deciding at the moment what to do on that matter.

I understand completely how to create more email addresses, redirect email addresses, etc. but also know the perils of dragging an evergrowing list of emails behind me, all of which need some sort of servicing regularly.

Michael.9403

You don’t seriously expect a game with no monthly fee to have the same level of support as a game making over $180 million a month now do you? when you charge a monthly fee and over charge your players, you can afford to hire telephone support 24/7.
As to the time, if you had submitted a support ticket in the first place you would probably already have an answer. It is the weekend, outside normal business hours so the live chat would not have done you any good even if it was still available.

I expected it only because they said they had it.

As for why no support ticket yet, see my reply above to StinVec

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

At this point you have an error. Copy 1 cannot be supported with a support account that uses it’s email address. You will not be able to create a support account without a 2nd email address, a rather bizarre situation. One can create different usernames, different passwords, etc, but still will get an error message if you use the account email. Since I have only one public facing email account, I chose to see if there was a live contact method, which would expedite the process.

This was my first foray into a 2nd GW2 account, and then my first need of support. It unearthed the requirement to create 2 email addresses, one to support Copy 1, then one to register Copy 2. There is also the implicit requirment to create still a 3rd email account should Copy 2 need suppost. I’m deciding at the moment what to do on that matter.

I understand completely how to create more email addresses, redirect email addresses, etc. but also know the perils of dragging an evergrowing list of emails behind me, all of which need some sort of servicing regularly.

I’m using the same email address for both my game account and support account. Perhaps there is some other error?

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I expected it only because they said they had it.

As for why no support ticket yet, see my reply above to StinVec

I did read your response. You do not need multiple email accounts to use support. You seem to be having some other issues that may be related to attempting to link 2 GW2 accounts, but your support email should be the same one you use to log in to the game as well as these forums.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

• You are not required to have a Support Account to get help. Simply write Support@GuildWars2.com if you’d prefer to use that route.
  • Yes, you may use the e-mail address that is associated with your game account for your support account. Tens of thousands of people do that. What you cannot do is use the same e-mail address for two GW2 game accounts.
  • If you have a Guild Wars account, and link it to a Guild Wars 2 account, the accounts will have the same log-in (account) name. That can also be the support account’s log-in name.
  • Support within 12-24 hours is the norm. Sometimes folks get help in minutes. Sometimes it takes a bit longer. At no time should you assume that 3 days is the norm. 3 days is outside the norm, which is why I encourage folks who have waited that long to use the official thread above to ask for a follow-up.

If you search “Live Help” and “Guild Wars 2” it still brings up a page indicating the service is still in use (just offline due to it not being business hours).

You’re right, and that’s wrong. I am going to work with the team to get that excised, as it hasn’t been relevant in, oh, about a year.

Thanks for the heads up.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)