Can't use function keys? (f keys)

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Laura MacIntyre.1860

Laura MacIntyre.1860

I have an HP that uses windows 8, and unfortunately every time I try to use my f keys in-game, it minimizes guild wars and opens some support thing on the actual computer. It’s pretty annoying considering I’m a Mesmer, so I can’t use any of my illusion skills. And since this computer is pretty new and I’ve never used Windows 8 before, I have no idea where even to begin with how to disable this (or if I even can?)

Can anyone help?? I really need to fix this.

Thanks!
Kala

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

Usually those kinds of features are an app running in the background and not from windows itself. My suggestion is to look for any programs running that are from HP. Stuff like HP Help Desk or HP Support etc.

Posted by: Mereadith.5078

Mereadith.5078

I’ve actually had the same problems but on a different laptop.
But you can just go into options ingame (can’t check atm where exactly to find it) and set your function hotkeys to some others more easily accesible to you.

(edited by Mereadith.5078)

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

LOOK for the Fn key on your keyboard. Laptops needs this to use the F keys and not the extra features such as volume and brightness controls.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Zaflis.7294

Zaflis.7294

… and opens some support thing on the actual computer…

Those are the problem. You should search google for answers for those specific support things. Type there exactly what support pages open up, unless you are able to disable them yourself from that dialog’s settings or something.

Posted by: maxie.9620

maxie.9620

LOOK for the Fn key on your keyboard. Laptops needs this to use the F keys and not the extra features such as volume and brightness controls.

But pressing Fn is what you hit to perform the second action your function keys have, not the first. This would only be accurate if the Fn key was stuck.

Anyway, try closing the support junk that’s being opened in your taskbar or whatever Win 8’s equivalent is, if it runs automatically when windows starts.. Then hit WinKey+R, type msconfig, hit enter, go to startup and untick the annoying support stuff so it won’t start when Windows does. Assuming Win 8 is still windows.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

On keyboards on laptops,The Fn key does the f1-f12 function not the function they are assigned to (manufacturer support page, Brightness, secondary monitor, web browser, rewind skip back, play/pause, etc.).

Its why I suggested look for it and hold it down.

The fn key being stuck would be a good thing as it will allow profession abilities to be used.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.