Character Name Changed?!

Character Name Changed?!

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

This entire thread is silly. Warduke needs to contact support as suggested and see where that goes. It’s pointless to debate the issue because ANet makes the rules and chooses how they get applied, and some of that may be subjective with different results depending on who handles it. So work the system. Then maybe get back to us with the hows and whys.

You mean “ANet makes up the rules and chooses to whom they get applied” and “So the system doesn’t work.”

This thread proves that somebody at Anet is abusing their powers – changing my name but not banning the previous name – and you really can’t deny that, whether you consider the name to be offensive or not.

Without posting this thread I wouldn’t have known that the name hadn’t been banned, so I’m glad I did.

But it doesn’t get to the bottom of the issue as to why? If you don’t call it to their attention through official channels, the forum isn’t the place for these discussions, then if someone did overstep they will know someone on their staff overstepped. It’s also possible that whoever changed your name forgot to put it on the lockout list. You won’t know until you ask.

Trying to drum up ire on the forums is really a waste of time. 9 times out of 10 when someone protests this much they aren’t telling the full story and ANet will trot out the dirty laundry as they did with Suck at Love’s ban or the good old days of renames when the game launched on reddit. Your seeming hesitation to put in a ticket first before going to the masses to cry foul is making you not look like an innocent victim here.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: warduke.1780

warduke.1780

This entire thread is silly. Warduke needs to contact support as suggested and see where that goes. It’s pointless to debate the issue because ANet makes the rules and chooses how they get applied, and some of that may be subjective with different results depending on who handles it. So work the system. Then maybe get back to us with the hows and whys.

You mean “ANet makes up the rules and chooses to whom they get applied” and “So the system doesn’t work.”

This thread proves that somebody at Anet is abusing their powers – changing my name but not banning the previous name – and you really can’t deny that, whether you consider the name to be offensive or not.

Without posting this thread I wouldn’t have known that the name hadn’t been banned, so I’m glad I did.

But it doesn’t get to the bottom of the issue as to why? If you don’t call it to their attention through official channels, the forum isn’t the place for these discussions, then if someone did overstep they will know someone on their staff overstepped. It’s also possible that whoever changed your name forgot to put it on the lockout list. You won’t know until you ask.

Trying to drum up ire on the forums is really a waste of time. 9 times out of 10 when someone protests this much they aren’t telling the full story and ANet will trot out the dirty laundry as they did with Suck at Love’s ban or the good old days of renames when the game launched on reddit. Your seeming hesitation to put in a ticket first before going to the masses to cry foul is making you not look like an innocent victim here.

What you really mean is “9 times out of 10 the community turns on the victim no matter what, because they want to believe in the myth of a just and fair authority figure”. There’s been other cases of names being stolen in a similar manner:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3wsxb7/character_name_banned_now_picked_up_by_someone/

It’s worth noting that, in that thread, an Anet GM also states:

“In the past; our team was very strict about what we’d allow. As an example we’d censored Girthquake Clamhammer. I love that name; personally. Funny as hell.
Poopy Cat Butt? Censored – too filthy. I Eat Farts? Eww, no.
Now? We’ll allow those. Did I mention funny as hell?
As my boss put it once -
“If dude wants to be known as cat poop that’s his problem; not mine”.
And that’s our philosophy now. This change has been evolving over the past few months as we get feedback on what the community does/doesn’t want to see in game. Essentially; if your name doesn’t express hate and doesn’t violate our game-rating we’re probably gonna let it live on. This includes deity names. Going forward you’re probably going to see Jesus Christ, God, and Allah running around Tyria."

So, again, I’m wondering why my name was changed.

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

What you really mean is “9 times out of 10 the community turns on the victim no matter what, because they want to believe in the myth of a just and fair authority figure”. There’s been other cases of names being stolen in a similar manner:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3wsxb7/character_name_banned_now_picked_up_by_someone/

“In the past; our team was very strict about what we’d allow. As an example we’d censored Girthquake Clamhammer. I love that name; personally. Funny as hell.
As my boss put it once -
And that’s our philosophy now. This change has been evolving over the past few months as we get feedback on what the community does/doesn’t want to see in game. Essentially; if your name doesn’t express hate and doesn’t violate our game-rating we’re probably gonna let it live on. This includes deity names. Going forward you’re probably going to see Jesus Christ, God, and Allah running around Tyria."

And the ONLY way you’ll know that is if you submit a ticket with support and take it up with them. We on the forums can only GUESS as to why. A lot of stalking cases in real life do end up with violent ends, so maybe the moderator handling the report of your name was someone who took the guidelines more literally than what is intended. And maybe that moderator was new and made an honest mistake.

Again, posting on the forums won’t get the reason why for you. Only making a ticket with support will.

Character Name Changed?!

warduke.1780

As my boss put it once -

And the ONLY way you’ll know that is if you submit a ticket with support and take it up with them. We on the forums can only GUESS as to why. A lot of stalking cases in real life do end up with violent ends, so maybe the moderator handling the report of your name was someone who took the guidelines more literally than what is intended. And maybe that moderator was new and made an honest mistake.

Again, posting on the forums won’t get the reason why for you. Only making a ticket with support will.

Mistakenly banning someone’s name is one thing, but my name was CHANGED, remember, to a completely different name in a clear case of trolling by the GM in question.

Not only that, but now that I know the name I had wasn’t actually banned and is still available, I’m wondering how anyone could think that’s a mistake. This isn’t just someone being overzealous.

Character Name Changed?!

Seera.5916

As my boss put it once -

Mistakenly banning someone’s name is one thing, but my name was CHANGED, remember, to a completely different name in a clear case of trolling by the GM in question.

Not only that, but now that I know the name I had wasn’t actually banned and is still available, I’m wondering how anyone could think that’s a mistake. This isn’t just someone being overzealous.

Because places get busy and interruptions happen and the moderator simply forgot that they hadn’t done the final step for the report. It could be a new employee who forgot to add the name to the list due to being new.

And no, it’s not a clear case. I don’t know how many times you’ve had your name reported as violating the TOS. And I don’t trust anyone who says how many times they have or have not been punished by moderators. People lie. Say they have been punished to drum up support or say they weren’t punished to make ANet look bad. But I know if I had someone who has repeatedly shown that they like to choose inappropriate names, that they won’t get to rename their inappropriately named characters for free. They’ll have to by name change contracts to change the name I decide is more appropriate because the character can’t remain with the illegal name and it’s less punishment than having the character deleted.

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Have you, or have you not, contacted the CS Team about this issue? Nothing less will garner you a possible positive outcome.

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Here’s the thing, I’ve never heard of them changing a character name without contacting the player first. Usually you login and you won’t be able to select the character without changing the name first. Now Display Names, they don’t have a problem anagramming them into something else but character names, no, never heard that happening before.

So either someone on staff when well beyond SOP and changed it on their own or someone who have access to your system and account, which is easy if you have remember account name and password checked, saw the name change request and did it without your knowledge. You have a prankish roommate, little sibling or disgruntled SO?

Because there is two issues here. First your original name being in violation somehow and second how it got changed without you even hearing about needing to change it. And again you need to submit a ticket because it’s very rare that the powers that be will pop in on a thread like this without a ticket even being made.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

What’s the point of this thread? OP wants to point out corruption. Well duh, companies are made up of humans, and humans are not reliable generally speaking. Could be an honest mistake. Everybody else is like, contact customer support, else kittens.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Have you, or have you not, contacted the CS Team about this issue? Nothing less will garner you a possible positive outcome.

About 20 forum members have either suggested or asked this, and the OP is still tip-toeing around this issue! >.<

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

About 20 forum members have either suggested or asked this, and the OP is still tip-toeing around this issue! >.<

I’m starting to think Sarasvatri is correct with this assumption

After reading through OPs history, reviewing topics made here about game issues or reddit threads.

Something tells me someone is bored and wants drama.

i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

This thread should just be closed. It is very toxic at this point and all suggestions have been made in helping OP with his problem. Basically OP has to submit a ticket. Please close the thread.

Character Name Changed?!

warduke.1780

This thread should just be closed. It is very toxic at this point and all suggestions have been made in helping OP with his problem. Basically OP has to submit a ticket. Please close the thread.

Why are you demanding the thread be closed?

What I don’t understand is THIS REDDIT POST in which the same “mistake” was made: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3wsxb7/character_name_banned_now_picked_up_by_someone/ …has OVERWHELMING support, with lots of upvotes and positive messages from the community.

The same thing happens to me, and all I have is people defending Anet and claiming I’m “trolling” or here to stir up drama.

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

What I don’t understand is THIS REDDIT POST in which the same “mistake” was made: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3wsxb7/character_name_banned_now_picked_up_by_someone/ …has OVERWHELMING support, with lots of upvotes and positive messages from the community.

The same thing happens to me, and all I have is people defending Anet and claiming I’m “trolling” or here to stir up drama.

Because you wont even say whether or not you’ve submitted a support ticket. That person on Reddit’s name also is not offensive in any way at all.

Andraus is suggesting the thread be closed because there is no constructive discussion going on. It’s not up to the community to decide whether Arenanet’s decision about your name change was wrong or right. We don’t know the whole story and you don’t seem to have submitted a support ticket or actually tried to contact staff about this? Or at least you’re being very cagey as to whether or not you have.

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Because now you are changing your tune. First it was “Anet changed my character name without even asking me” to “Someone took a name I had”.

Those 2 posts aren’t even related. You ARE positive someone at Anet has a personal vendetta against where as that player had a name dinged, and discovered it late. Buddy, you just aren’t that special. Also, Reddit is full of people who are all positive Anet is evil, while on Anet’s forums, we’ve seen the truth more often then not.

So if you really want an answer, submit a ticket. Otherwise it’s really time to move on. You’re just making your story seem less likely the more you change your tune, or when someone doesn’t agree with you (which, you have pulled even on people saying just submit a ticket and find out). If you want answers, go to Anet. Otherwise move along.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

What’s the point of this thread? OP wants to point out corruption. Well duh, companies are made up of humans, and humans are not reliable generally speaking. Could be an honest mistake. Everybody else is like, contact customer support, else kittens.

Yep!!! funny how OP answers others after your question but won’t answer a simple question about support. As many others have suggested to submit a ticket. Seems to be more to the story as pointed out by the player who posted OPs history. Time to shut this down and if the OP truly wants help and assistance, use the support option. I see the thread has already been reported, so hopefully a mod will deal with it.

(edited by Blude.6812)

Character Name Changed?!

Seera.5916

Here’s the thing, I’ve never heard of them changing a character name without contacting the player first. Usually you login and you won’t be able to select the character without changing the name first. Now Display Names, they don’t have a problem anagramming them into something else but character names, no, never heard that happening before.

So either someone on staff when well beyond SOP and changed it on their own or someone who have access to your system and account, which is easy if you have remember account name and password checked, saw the name change request and did it without your knowledge. You have a prankish roommate, little sibling or disgruntled SO?

Because there is two issues here. First your original name being in violation somehow and second how it got changed without you even hearing about needing to change it. And again you need to submit a ticket because it’s very rare that the powers that be will pop in on a thread like this without a ticket even being made.

I would imagine if a player had a long history of choosing inappropriate names, they would get their characters renamed for them as they’ve shown they can’t be trusted. So that they have to pay to change the character to another name, be it inappropriate or not.

Character Name Changed?!

warduke.1780

Yep!!! funny how OP answers others after your question but won’t answer a simple question about support. As many others have suggested to submit a ticket. Seems to be more to the story as pointed out by the player who posted OPs history. Time to shut this down and if the OP truly wants help and assistance, use the support option. I see the thread has already been reported, so hopefully a mod will deal with it.

“Time to shut this down”

If you have a problem with this thread, may I suggest you leave the thread quietly and go about your life.

The issue hasn’t been resolved yet, and I’m yet to see a GM response. Meanwhile my name has been taken by someone else, so what we have here is a situation in which:

1. My character’s name was changed to something trollish without any prior warning or notification
2. The original name wasn’t even banned, as another member was able to take that name
3. The name that was taken away from me wasn’t even offensive in the first place and various examples have been given of similar names still present in the game
4. A selection of known exploiters who have a grievance with me have decided to troll this thread in an attempt to get it deleted or smear my reputation

I’d love to see how some of you would respond if the same thing happened to you. Really, I would.

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

For an individualized response, contact the CS Team via the ‘Support’ link above/below and ‘Submit a Request’ for assistance.

Good luck.

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: sarasvatri.6871

sarasvatri.6871

I’d love to see how some of you would respond if the same thing happened to you. Really, I would.

Good question. Hard to answer since it would depend on what my history with ANet CS was. If it was me, personally?

I’d laugh, submit a ticket, and get to the bottom of it- since it would be a total mystery.

If I were a hypothetical someone else, someone with a history of interactions with ANet CS, I might come to the forums and tell half or one-third of the story, ignore direct questions about whether I submitted a ticket or not, and attack people who pointed out any inconsistencies.

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

The issue hasn’t been resolved yet, and I’m yet to see a GM response.

If you want a GM response, you need to submit a ticket to appeal the decision by clicking the support tab above. If you’ve already done this, there is a waiting period of up to 72 hours, in which case you can post your ticket number for review at the sticky titled “Tickets for review (3 days or older)”.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

OP I just need to ask, why do you refuse to submit a ticket? It’s not too hard….. You click the link above and ask what is going on with this problem.

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: Riranor.6315

Riranor.6315

you couldve been hacked too. you’re quick to blame Anet, I know my friend was hacked and had her name changed, someone bought using her saved credit card. I’m not saying that happened to you, but you need to chill and realize what you think happened is the only thing that happened. Especially if it changed to something trolly. Get a support ticket, please, its the easiest way, the only way, to handle the situation.

Crystal Desert Server, one of each classes at 80
Main Mesmer PVE, Necro and Engineer PVP

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

The issue hasn’t been resolved yet, and I’m yet to see a GM response. Meanwhile my name has been taken by someone else, so what we have here is a situation in which:

I hope you’re not waiting for a staff response in this thread. That’s not how the forums work. You need to submit a customer support ticket.

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Most of us would have responded to the situation with a support ticket not a forum thread. That would answer what happened instead of assuming.

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

“Time to shut this down”

If you have a problem with this thread, may I suggest you leave the thread quietly and go about your life.

1. My character’s name was changed to something trollish without any prior warning or notification
2. The original name wasn’t even banned, as another member was able to take that name
3. The name that was taken away from me wasn’t even offensive in the first place and various examples have been given of similar names still present in the game
4. A selection of known exploiters who have a grievance with me have decided to troll this thread in an attempt to get it deleted or smear my reputation

I would put in a support ticket. Simple as that. You seem to refuse to! You are mistakenly expecting a GM response here. Now you are saying some people who have responded here are exploiters?? and are trolling??? Put in a support ticket!!!!!

Character Name Changed?!

Posted by: Moderator

[Please submit a support ticket for this concern. This thread is now closed.]