Cheapest GPU that can max GW2

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Rusch.4107

Rusch.4107

Hello,
I will hopefully be building a new comp in about a month. I plan on building it with an I7-3770K Ivy Bridge so that there is no bottleneck at the cpu. I was wondering whats the cheapest graphics card that can max GW2. I assume that a radeon 7970 or gtx680 would, however would a gtx670 or even a 660ti?

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

your cpu will bottleneck on wvwvw

alll those gpu should be overkill for gw2.

Posted by: Rusch.4107

Rusch.4107

What CPU does one need to have to not have a bottleneck in WvWvW?

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

What CPU does one need to have to not have a bottleneck in WvWvW?

does not exist, A massive zerg will kill fps but anet is working on it.

Last month update alivate alot of the issues by adding standard character models which reduce lag alot. However, the game is very cpu dependent and will bottleneck.

I guess they are trying to multithread the task, but I think they are weary because they may reduce performance for their laptop users by splitting tasks.

Do not worry, that cpu will give you are fantastic experience. Just lower some seeting such as reflections if you want more fps.

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

Most GPUS will max out GW2 at 1080p, 660ti is recomended at that resolution is a very good GPU with poor memory, perfect for 1080p or lower resolutions, if u want to go higher ress 1440p u need a GTX670, or a hd7950. GTX 680 (not recomended at all) is a bad card since the 670 is almost as fast, it does not overclock very well compared with the hd 7970. If u wanna go for the best get a HD7970 Ghz edition, is power hungry but runs like a charm at stock settings, also has a decent overclock headroom, definitelly faster (Cheper too) than a GTX 680 by at least 15%, even the standard hd7970 overclocked wlll smoke a GTX 680.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I run the i7 3770k with the Nvidia 680GTX and run this game on all max settings, with ease, but Loseridoit is correct, even with all that power in my system a massive zerg in WvW does drop my FPS to around 15-20, but its still very very playable.

Go with what card you can afford, asking what card is a bad idea as you will enter the Nvidia Vs ATI debate which would go on for months, I personally use Nvidia because of past experiences with ATI cards dying a slow painful death,

And to play this game at 1080 is a shame, it looks so much better at higher res. ( personal opinion )

Posted by: basketcase.3894

basketcase.3894

I’d go with a 7870XT. It’s easily enough for GW2 (assuming you’re at 1080), and beats the 660Ti for less money. As for the AMD/Nvidia debate, unless you personally have a strong opinion on it or need to fulfill an extra requirement (low power/heat for SFF), just ignore the BS and go with the best price/performance.

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

Sapphire 7870XT will max GW2 out.

As others have said, no CPU out no matter the OC can keep WvW at 60 fps. If ur lucky with ur OC u can get 30FPS as a minimum but u cant have the new cull settings on highest..u have to have texture culling (player model quality) on low.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Strictly speaking of the GPU, you’ll be able to drop to, let’s say, “uncomfortable” FPS by enabling supersampling even when the CPU doesn’t limit with any single GPU (I have a GTX 670@1280MHz). With native sampling, I guess I never had any problems unless the CPU was limiting. Which happens often in WvW as well as huge events like dragon fights. With a 4,5GHz and above CPU, you should be able to stay above 20-30FPS in any situation at least.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake