Computer Freeze buzzing sound

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

Since the wintersday patch. I"m not sure if that’s when it exactly started, but my computer has been freezing up only when playing gw2. The whole computer freezes and does a buzzing sound through the speakers. it happens about once or twice a day. But usually when I’m in pvp. Or maybe that’s because I spend most of my time in pvp. It happened once while in stronghold of the faithful.

It doesn’t crash to blue screen. It just freezes up so GW2 looks like a still frame and it just makes that buzzing sound and no input keys work. I can’t even go to task manager.

Game breaking for me because just now it happened as soon as the pvp match starts. The whole way to fix things is to restart the computer. I restart the computer and rejoin the match and the whole team is mad at me for coming back in the game. They’d rather i just stayed out so they don’t lose rating. Which makes sense. So I just log back out so they don’t lose rating. I’m stuck with deserter, etc.

Hot Boy.7138

If it matters, I use a sweetfx filter to make the game more visually appealing to me. Darker skys and more vibrant colors.

Hot Boy.7138

my PC is
i5 2500k
16gb ram
radeon 6870 gpu
I play on high settings. somewhere between medium and ultra.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Someone else solved the issue with this:

‘I ended up deleting everything on my PC that had to do with GW2, re-seated (and put a prop under the end of the card) and did a new download of GW2. Everything is working great right now and I am keeping a super close eye on load, clock/mem speeds and temps. So far everything is great and the temps are right around 50-55C for both CPU and GPU on max settings with GPU hitting 100% load.’

Your best bet, though, is to contact the Tech CS Team via the ‘Support’ link above/below and discuss the issue with them.

Good luck.

Hot Boy.7138

Thanks for letting me know. My temps are always pretty low so I don’t think it’s that. I’ll contact them for sure. and ty again.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Also of note: running sweetfx injects additional code on both the CPU and GPU that modifies the rendering of the game. Since you describe the graphics freezing, I’d strongly suggest you remove that (not just no filter, but remove the hook, etc.) and see if this changes things.

Posted by: TheJuice.8612

TheJuice.8612

‘I ended up deleting everything on my PC that had to do with GW2, re-seated (and put a prop under the end of the card) and did a new download of GW2. Everything is working great right now and I am keeping a super close eye on load, clock/mem speeds and temps. So far everything is great and the temps are right around 50-55C for both CPU and GPU on max settings with GPU hitting 100% load.’

Your best bet, though, is to contact the Tech CS Team via the ‘Support’ link above/below and discuss the issue with them.

Good luck.

This was my post. I have not had any issues so far but I have not been playing much. I also had the frozen screen with buzzing sound. I also was noticing it in PVP as that is all I really play. When this happened I had to hard cycle the PC. After bringing it back up my frame rate was terrible (10-15fps) and I notice my ping would be very high. I have not had any issues in any other games (WoW, Diablo 3, CS:GO).

I am not sure what the actual problem was but my initial experience with support was not very reassuring. Get the usual “run some malware scans”. I can understand this sometime but this was around the 15th email they suggested this. They also suggested settings I couldn’t find and have never seen before (IT is my profession and what I attended college for). After letting them know this they told me to disregard the suggestion.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

It is probably worth knowing that once you start to get outside of game specific problems, it’s not really the thing that ANet support are trained to be the best at. It’s not, after all, their job, once you get much outside the game itself.

Network and hardware problems, it’s much more of a gamble if they can really help.

Hot Boy.7138

Good luck.

This was my post. I have not had any issues so far but I have not been playing much. I also had the frozen screen with buzzing sound. I also was noticing it in PVP as that is all I really play. When this happened I had to hard cycle the PC. After bringing it back up my frame rate was terrible (10-15fps) and I notice my ping would be very high. I have not had any issues in any other games (WoW, Diablo 3, CS:GO).

I am not sure what the actual problem was but my initial experience with support was not very reassuring. Get the usual “run some malware scans”. I can understand this sometime but this was around the 15th email they suggested this. They also suggested settings I couldn’t find and have never seen before (IT is my profession and what I attended college for). After letting them know this they told me to disregard the suggestion.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

Yeah, I expected to get the usual basic help from them. When I restart the computer, everything is fine again. My ping is still low and the fps is the same. I haven’t had the issue since I made this post. It’s very random.

Posted by: TheJuice.8612

TheJuice.8612

It is probably worth knowing that once you start to get outside of game specific problems, it’s not really the thing that ANet support are trained to be the best at. It’s not, after all, their job, once you get much outside the game itself.

Network and hardware problems, it’s much more of a gamble if they can really help.

It is/was a game specific problem. I have not experienced ANY issues in other games. I am not 100% sure what I did solved the problem and I’m honestly expecting it to crash again.

If it doesn’t crash, great. Maybe I will be lucky. But if it was an improperly seated graphics card wouldn’t you think other games would have issues too?

(edited by TheJuice.8612)

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

I had this problem a couple of times almost a year ago. It is usually to do with a connection in your computer that is loose/faulty and is failing under stress. The buzzing sound from speakers usually indicates a hardware problem. I would try reseating the GPU and the RAM, but also clean the dust of your computer in particular your heatsinks.

For me, it was reseating my RAM that fixed the problem.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

I had this problem a couple of times almost a year ago. It is usually to do with a connection in your computer that is loose/faulty and is failing under stress. The buzzing sound from speakers usually indicates a hardware problem. I would try reseating the GPU and the RAM, but also clean the dust of your computer in particular your heatsinks.

For me, it was reseating my RAM that fixed the problem.

Certainly, a loose connections could cause this but, in my case, that wasn’t/hasn’t been true. My old rig was serviced after this was happening and all appeared to be in order. My new rig has seen it happen a few times but (touch wood) few and far between.

I have heard it could be PSU related whereby the PSU is under powered. in both cases not as both have been 1KW bricks (type in sig).

I have also heard of it being sound driver related. I cannot contest that however; it appears to only happen in GW2 and I haven’t updated my drivers.

In each case, the PC has rebooted itself and, looking at the event journal, it always appears as a “kernel event 41 task 63” – which is a really uninformative message and there’s not any real answers out there for that.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: spderweb.9387

spderweb.9387

I have a similar issue now. I get a black screen before eventually the sound will buzz. I posted a new post about it in more detail. this is the only game i’ve ever had issue with, and this has been an ongoing problem for a while. None of the solutions seem to work, or at least, the solutions don’t last. I might try the uninstall/reinstall thing next time. Just that it’s gonna be like umpteen hours to re-download everything.