Computer shutting down

Computer shutting down

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Since the new ls has gone live, as soon as on be of my characters appears in the game world after I select one and click to, play, load screen, world appears, character appears… and my computer just turns off.

Was just fine before.

Computer shutting down

Morfedel.4165

Just tried updating graphics drivers, didn’t help

Computer shutting down

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Most likely it’s a failing power supply or the computer is overheating.

Computer shutting down

Morfedel.4165

I doubt it, it’s only happening in this one instance. Only when my character is appearing in the game world.No other program is doing it, and for that matter if I’m sitting there at the log in screen or character select it doesn’t do it either. It can sit there for hours and it’s just fine.

Computer shutting down

Morfedel.4165

For that matter I also did a player versus player for 3 hours yesterday before the update and had no problems.

Computer shutting down

Morfedel.4165

Well, I’m not sure what the problem is, but the patch seems to have fixed it.

Computer shutting down

Posted by: TrinityX.4579

TrinityX.4579

I’ve been having a similar issue since the latest LS3 episode, whenever I log in on a char and do something, sometimes even in character select, both my monitors will just freeze and it stays that way until I do a manual reboot. All sound keeps playing though. Tried updating drivers and clearing cache but it doesn’t help.

Computer shutting down

Posted by: Jozo.2630

Jozo.2630

I have also been having problem with the computer randombly restarting since the latest patch. 5 crashes in 2 hours.
The game freezes and sounds start stuttering for a few seconds before the computer reboots.
No indications in the windows logs on what causes the reboot.
The reboots have happened both in PvE with just a few people around and in zerg fights in WvW.

(I think there has been people in combat around on all occations so could possibly be related to some combat effect?)

Computer shutting down

Posted by: Karnn.4569

Karnn.4569

3 computer shutdowns while playing after yesterdays update only happens in gw2 and major lag and fps drop since yesterday as well.

Computer shutting down

Posted by: Karnn.4569

Karnn.4569

I’ve been tracking temps with open hardware monitor and its not a thermal shutdown though I’ve had to increase my fan speed on my gpu by 5% because my R9 290x running 3 24 inch monitors was starting to push 93c after the update that caused the issue.

Computer shutting down

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

I have also been having problem with the computer randombly restarting since the latest patch. 5 crashes in 2 hours.
The game freezes and sounds start stuttering for a few seconds before the computer reboots.
No indications in the windows logs on what causes the reboot.
The reboots have happened both in PvE with just a few people around and in zerg fights in WvW.

(I think there has been people in combat around on all occations so could possibly be related to some combat effect?)

I think this is what I am being affected by too, however it has been around for a lot longer than the latest updates, maybe around the skirmish tracks update. It will always happen to me mid fight, it won’t happen randomly anywhere else. GTX 1070/i7-4790K here, I always monitor both gpu and cpu temps and they are not overheating around 50-60celcius. It is basically a hard freeze where the sound stutters and the machine shuts down soon after. No error messages at all, no codes. I don’t know, it could also possibly be the nvidia hd audio driver, will double check, I know it causes hard freeze stutter problems just like amd’s does.

Update: I decided to wait for a few days before I posted an update about my situation. So far since I’ve removed nvidia hd audio driver I have not had the hard freezes/crashes. I will update again if it happens within another week or two.

(edited by DemonSeed.3528)

Computer shutting down

DemonSeed.3528

Ok, since this last update I’ve been getting the crashes again so I’m not sure what changed with it. Same symptoms – in the middle of a fight it will randomly hard freeze the pc, no error message just straight up freeze until I manually reboot.

Computer shutting down

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I doubt it, it’s only happening in this one instance. Only when my character is appearing in the game world.No other program is doing it

No other program or no other 3D application? There is a huge difference there, 3D applications (like newer games) are much more demanding on CPU and GPU. Most programs (not games) do not overheat your hardware components.

Computer shutting down

Posted by: Der Floh.3586

Der Floh.3586

Sounds like we have a similar problem. Do you use the 64-Bit-Client too? I switched to the 32-Bit-Client and had no freeze today.

Edit: Ok the 32-Bit-Client made my pc freeze too, but after 3 hours of gaming.

(edited by Der Floh.3586)

Computer shutting down

DemonSeed.3528

Just using the 64bit client here

Computer shutting down

Ashantara.8731

It’s not the client, it’s your PC.

Computer shutting down

DemonSeed.3528

let me recap:
- previously when the problem was happening, it was in zerg fights randomly
- no high temps on gpu and cpu
- no problems with other games
- thought it was from nvidia hd audio driver, because from past experience I know it can cause hard freeze+audio stutter but turns out it wasn’t this after all

Today I’ve been getting them only in EB in big fights. Once I went to a different border the crashes stopped happening. So nope, not my pc. “It’s your PC” is a vague statement.

Computer shutting down

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

let me recap:
- thought it was from nvidia hd audio driver, because from past experience I know it can cause hard freeze+audio stutter but turns out it wasn’t this after all

Today I’ve been getting them only in EB in big fights. Once I went to a different border the crashes stopped happening. So nope, not my pc. “It’s your PC” is a vague statement.

Well if it was a client issue, everyone would have it. So yes, it’s your PC is still relevant. It could be that some of your ram is starting to go, and in bigger fights it’kittenting the part that is having issues. Could be your CPU can’t handle being used at a certain threshold, and hits it in big fights. It could be your HD having bad sectors that get spun.

So while it may be vague, if it was the client, everyone would have the issue. Everyone has the same client. It’s not different on your PC vs your guildmate.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Computer shutting down

abomally.2694

It’s a hardware issue. You can mess around trying different things; but in the end you’ll end up replacing hardware. I would start by substituting a known good power supply since temperature doesn’t seem to be the issue.

Computer shutting down

DemonSeed.3528

let me recap:

Well if it was a client issue, everyone would have it. So yes, it’s your PC is still relevant. It could be that some of your ram is starting to go, and in bigger fights it’kittenting the part that is having issues. Could be your CPU can’t handle being used at a certain threshold, and hits it in big fights. It could be your HD having bad sectors that get spun.

So while it may be vague, if it was the client, everyone would have the issue. Everyone has the same client. It’s not different on your PC vs your guildmate.

I’v done prime tests on cpu and ram btw, and also switched psu. So nope. i7-4790K, gtx 1070. Going to test with 2 spare gpu’s now.

(edited by DemonSeed.3528)

Computer shutting down

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

I fought this for years and even brought the machine in to tech 3 times. Before replacing any hardware, try this: Get nVidia Inspector and try downclocking your video card. GW2 is VERY sensitive to overclocking, to say the least. The problem can be better or worse depending on the release and version of video driver. I did a 15% reduction on my 670 and have never had a crashing problem since. The issue is that it can work for a LONG time, but once you start getting the issue, it just never seems to go away and never happens in anything other than GW2. Sometime you can play hours without crashing other times minutes. Makes one very gunshy to party with others.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

Computer shutting down

Posted by: Walle.6045

Walle.6045

Try running the 32 bit client. It has worked for me so far.
Its really confusing. The 64 bit client has my computer restarting like power went out randomly.

I am running a GTX 1080, i7-6700k, 16GB RAM, SSD 500GB, PSU Corsair RM1000i

Computer shutting down

Leamas.5803

Try running the 32 bit client. It has worked for me so far.
Its really confusing. The 64 bit client has my computer restarting like power went out randomly.

I am running a GTX 1080, i7-6700k, 16GB RAM, SSD 500GB, PSU Corsair RM1000i

The issue with the 32-bit client is that it can run out of memory, especially on highly populated maps. I had crashing issues on both the 32-bit and 64-bit clients. Switching the client seemed to fix it for a time, but it came back.

As far as I’m concerned, it is a bug in GW2, but it has been there pretty much since launch as far as I can tell, so don’t hold your breath for a fix. It is well known that GW2 is sensitive to over-clocked hardware, which most GPUs are out of the box. GW2 also does not work on SLi hardware, at least the time time I checked, which should be transparent to the software layer.

It is not hardware specific, though it does tend to be far mare prevalent on machines running nVidia.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Random-Freeze-Shutdown-Restart-READ-THIS/first#post6695952

Computer shutting down

Leamas.5803

Check the Windows event log and see if this error occurs at the time of the crashes. The best I could find 4 years ago, when I was researching it, was that it’s throwing a fault on to the PCIe bus and sending the computer in to hardware panic mode. At the time, there was no fix for the error…down clocking fixed it.

—Windows Event Log Error— (nvlddmkm is the nVidia display driver)

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found.
Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your
local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or
repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had
to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video7
An uncorrectable double bit error (DBE) has been detected on GPU (02 00 00).

(edited by Leamas.5803)

Computer shutting down

abomally.2694

“It is well known that GW2 is sensitive to over-clocked hardware…”

There’s no such thing as software being “sensitive” to over-clocked hardware. Either the overclock is 100% stable or it isn’t – simple as that.

A computer that shuts down randomly is ALWAYS a hardware issue. Yes, there is code that can shut a PC down, but it wouldn’t make any sense to include it in GW2.

Freezing problems are often caused by bad RAM. A failing graphics card is also a common cause of freezing. Defective hard drives or motherboards can cause freezing, but it’s somewhat rare.

Unfortunately, bad video drivers and other software can also cause freezing. I did have strange issues with one of the Nvidia graphics drivers – but versions 378.92 and 382.53 are perfectly stable with my GTX 1060.

Computer shutting down

Leamas.5803

“It is well known that GW2 is sensitive to over-clocked hardware…”

There’s no such thing as software being “sensitive” to over-clocked hardware. Either the overclock is 100% stable or it isn’t – simple as that.

A computer that shuts down randomly is ALWAYS a hardware issue. Yes, there is code that can shut a PC down, but it wouldn’t make any sense to include it in GW2.

Freezing problems are often caused by bad RAM. A failing graphics card is also a common cause of freezing. Defective hard drives or motherboards can cause freezing, but it’s somewhat rare.

Unfortunately, bad video drivers and other software can also cause freezing. I did have strange issues with one of the Nvidia graphics drivers – but versions 378.92 and 382.53 are perfectly stable with my GTX 1060.

Nor should SLi cause issues as it should be transparent to the software layer, but GW2 doesn’t work on SLi at all…unless you want framerates under 10…at least that’s how it was when it first launched.

It’s not always hardware. Software accessing the hardware can cause critical faults on the PCIe bus which can put the computer in to panic mode and cause it to shut itself off to protect itself.

All of those things you mentioned should affect more than just GW2 and should easily be triggered by a stress test. This particular crashing problem is typically specific to GW2 and does not happen in other games, stress test or diagnostic utilities. Perhaps it is a defective card, but NO ONE will RMA anything if they can’t reproduce the error in a controlled environment…I tried and argued with the shop for nearly 4 years (Extended warranty). Both eVGA and nVidia told me that if it’s only happening in GW2 then it is a software issue and they would not RMA it. I stress tested my card with Furmark and the eVGA stress tester as well as the Nexuiz stress test and Skyrim HD with a stupid amount of detail turned on and took the machine in to the shop 3 times. No one could reproduce the behavior.

AND…Arenanet themselves says GW2 is sensitive to overclocking.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Crashing-Issues-1/first#post4146866

“You may also want to check to see if any of your hardware is overclocked or is utilizing a Turbo Boost feature. If so, consider returning to stock settings, because Guild Wars 2 is sensitive to overclocking.”

(edited by Leamas.5803)

Computer shutting down

Posted by: Walle.6045

Walle.6045

I had a similiar problem with my desktop.
Had to switch a setting in my power options.

Control panel > Hardware and Sound > Power options > and choose the High performance preferred plan.

Computer shutting down

Ashantara.8731

I’ve read that certain new graphic cards were causing issues in GW2 (not compatible?). Wasn’t there a thread on this recently?

Also, it can’t hurt to unpark all CPU cores for this game.

Computer shutting down

abomally.2694

“It’s not always hardware.”

Shutting down IS always hardware related. The rest of that paragraph doesn’t even make sense.

BTW; down-clocking your graphics card is only masking the symptom. If you have to down-clock your GPU to prevent crashes – it means that it is failing when it’s operating at it’s designed specifications. Disregarding any power supply/motherboard issues that may be present; your GPU is dying.

The driver is not crashing the card, the card is crashing the driver.

I don’t have to down-clock my GPU to play GW2 or any other game – in fact, my GPU is factory overclocked with the Gigabyte software [as needed]. I have no crashes ever -my PC is completely stable.

“AND…Arenanet themselves says GW2 is sensitive to overclocking.”

AND…Arenanet is wrong in this case.

Computer shutting down

Ashantara.8731

“It’s not always hardware.”

Shutting down IS always hardware related. The rest of that paragraph doesn’t even make sense.

This is actually true. If it was a software issue (e.g., a driver conflict), you would get a BSoD, not a complete shutdown.

In most cases, this is caused by the PSU protecting your system from damage. You need to find the source. (Hmm, having a GW2 flashback: “You must… find… the source. The source of Orr.” )

Computer shutting down

Posted by: Devilcry.6524

Devilcry.6524

i think i solved this, i had the same problem, my pc just crashed and had to hard reset o reset on itself.

i tried every graphics option in the game (turning everything on low or disable, then turn them to high one by one), and the one that makes my pc crash is the option Shaders when set it on high, the moment i set it on high my pc crashes, but when set on medium or low the game runs fine.

Before this i did reinstall the game 3 times, repair it, reinstall windows, everything that i could find on the internet, i started to think it was a hardware problem, but on other games i had no problems, so sometimes its a software problem, and this is happening to a lot of people with GW2.

Maybe try doing this with your client and let hope it helps you.

Computer shutting down

Posted by: Devilcry.6524

Devilcry.6524

well, it crashed again, it lasted longer without doing it, but i am testing other graphics settings and it seems to work but i dont know what is exactly the problem, is ver anoying, specially when i just bought the game and cant play it whitout thinking about it all the time…

Computer shutting down

Ashantara.8731

You seem to be ignoring people’s responses.

Since you described the issue as your computer downright shutting down (not restarting, no bluescreen), we told you that it is very likely a power issue. Yet you seem to haven’t done anything about it…

Have you tested whether your PSU is sufficient for your system? Have you considered getting a new PSU and see if that solves the problem?

Also, have you unparked your CPU cores, as suggested?

P.S. In addition: Check if there might be layers of dust clogging your PSU, your CPU fan, or covering other hardware components.

(edited by Ashantara.8731)