Computer specs

Computer specs

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Deadpool.3175

Deadpool.3175

I’m getting a new computer for this game, and I was wondering how well this computer would perform for Guild Wars 2.

Processor: Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i7 3.4GHz (3.9GHz with Turbo Boost)

System Memory (RAM): 8GB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GT 520 2GB Memory.

I’m not very computer savvy at all, and I just wanna know the approx. FPS this will get me on…medium or high? Any help would be much appreciated.

Computer specs

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

The Geforce 520 is, to be blunt, a piece of crap. I’m surprised you can even find one of them anymore. It isn’t going to run the game in any playable way.

You’d be better off with something in the $90 range like a Radeon HD 6750, though with that CPU (which is decently high-end), you’d be better off getting something like a geforce 560, 570, 670, or a Radeon 7870. Even a Geforce 480 is still a very powerful card, and can be had for about the same price as a Radeon 7870.

The way the Geforce cards work is that the first number is generation. “5” would be the last generation. The current generation is “6.”

The second number “2” is essentially the “quality” of the card. They range from “1” to “9,” so you can see that a “2” is pretty low on the totem pole.

Check out this as a reference: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

The 520M is on the list but the regular 520 is absent. You’re looking at a score of probably about 400ish with the 520 though, wheras for a fraction of the price of what you’re paying for that CPU, you could get yourself a truly decent graphics card.

(edited by Hickeroar.9734)

Computer specs

Posted by: Deadpool.3175

Deadpool.3175

Hmmm…how will a Radeon HD 7570 do for this game?…(Same processor) I’ll eventually upgrade, I just need something that’ll keep the game running decent at medium settings for now. (Sorry for the trouble, I don’t know how those scores scale)

Computer specs

Posted by: Xceptional.7985

Xceptional.7985

Deadpool,

Do not get a prebuilt.

What is your country and budget?

Permabanned. please take a look at 120905-008337

Computer specs

Hickeroar.9734

Hmmm…how will a Radeon HD 7570 do for this game?…(Same processor) I’ll eventually upgrade, I just need something that’ll keep the game running decent at medium settings for now. (Sorry for the trouble, I don’t know how those scores scale)

7570 still on the slower side. I wouldn’t go for anything ATI with less than a “7” in the second number position. 6750 would be about 50% better than the 7570, and will let you play with medium-high settings at a playable framerate.

I can’t encourage you to get anything less than that. On that chart I gave you, look for something with a score GREATER than 1600.

Computer specs

Posted by: Drayden.2318

Drayden.2318

If money is at play, you can bump down to the i5 3.4 which is great for gaming and apply the savings to the video card.

One of the best bang for the buck cards right now is the HD 7870 which can be found in the $250 range. I’ve also read that a 7850 can be overclocked to pretty much 7870 performance fairly easily too.

Thief – Stormbluff Isle

Computer specs

Hickeroar.9734

If money is at play, you can bump down to the i5 3.4 which is great for gaming and apply the savings to the video card.

One of the best bang for the buck cards right now is the HD 7870 which can be found in the $250 range. I’ve also read that a 7850 can be overclocked to pretty much 7870 performance fairly easily too.

I actually just bought a 7870 for $219.99 with a mail in rebate for an additional $20 off. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404 They went out of stock pretty fast though. Maybe they’ll come back.

Computer specs

Posted by: majestic.8129

majestic.8129

Pretty much this, i7 offers no benefit over an i5 if your focus is gaming. Put the money towards a better mid-range card if you are on a budget.

Computer specs

Hickeroar.9734

My worry here is that this user is browsing laptops, hoping to find out that will work with this game.

Bad idea. Very bad idea.

Computer specs

Posted by: IceBlizzard.1054

IceBlizzard.1054

the 7870 is a fantastic card. or a 660 ti. With either of those cards you can prob run the game in full settings with few slow downs.

Also I would get a i5 3750k as people have suggested. It is all you need for gaming and you can always overclock it (long as your motherboard permits). I have a i5 3750k (overclocked to 4.2) and it performs amazingly.

Dragonslayer
GoF Commander

(edited by IceBlizzard.1054)

Computer specs

Posted by: Doxshund.9235

Doxshund.9235

Save a little money and get an i5 3750K and get a better Graphics card.
nvidia 660 TI is a good bank for you buck card.

Asura > all