Confused at answer from support ticket

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: AtticusBane.9612

AtticusBane.9612

Yep, it’s me again and I’m still very confused here… Ticket Number: 722392

This is the response I got:

Thank you for updating us regarding this issue.

While we understand that you would have preferred to receive a different response to your petition, we must reiterate that we are unable to fulfill your request. The reason for this is because there is no evidence that your account was accessed by an unauthorized individual.

Regards,

GM Warco

What I’m confused about is how can there be no evidence if my characters are all missing… I mean that’s just madness! I’m sure it can be seen if they can roll accounts back that my characters are missing so I’m not sure the issue here?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

What they are saying is that there haven’t been any evidence that someone other than you have accessed your account.
Which would suggest that it was accessed and deleted from your own IP-address.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

AtticusBane.9612

What they are saying is that there haven’t been any evidence that someone other than you have accessed your account.
Which would suggest that it was accessed and deleted from your own IP-address.

Ok, but my IP address changes and the authorizations are in blocks. I checked that once I logged in. So how can they be sure? Even still if it was accessed from my own network it’s pretty apparent it wasn’t me therefore it was an unauthorized access and it would be just as easily solved.

lordkrall.7241

But how can it be pretty apparent?
If someone logged in on your computer and deleted stuff they can’t know if it was someone else of if you just got tired of the characters, and THAT is the issues.

IF your account was compromised they could easily fix it. But since there is currently nothing actually pointing towards it (rather that you or someone in your home that knew the password, did it) and therefore it would most likely be considered as a “player mistake” and those are rarely fixed.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

AtticusBane.9612

But how can it be pretty apparent?
If someone logged in on your computer and deleted stuff they can’t know if it was someone else of if you just got tired of the characters, and THAT is the issues.

IF your account was compromised they could easily fix it. But since there is currently nothing actually pointing towards it (rather that you or someone in your home that knew the password, did it) and therefore it would most likely be considered as a “player mistake” and those are rarely fixed.

I don’t think its that apparent that me “getting tired of the characters” is the issue. I haven’t logged in to the game in about a year I had no reason to delete the characters, but I guess to each their own perspective on this.

lordkrall.7241

I am just trying to explain how it looks from their point of view.
From their perspective no one other than you (or someone with your password and in your home) have logged into your account, and as such it have not been compromised and thus they usually don’t do much about it.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

AtticusBane.9612

fair enough but it makes no logical sense why someone would delete all of their characters and then try to get them back if they got sick of them for one and second off restoring my characters gives me no gain or edge in any way shape or form. It just puts me back to where I left off from when I had to take a break from the game as if nothing did happen to my account while I was taking a break.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Because they only restore accounts for those who were hacked. That is their policy. They cannot prove you were hacked, thus your account is not eligible. You only get 1 account restore ever as well. For all they know, you deleted all of your stuff before you quit to ensure you wouldn’t come back. A lot of people do that to stop playing games. Or someone in your house had access to your account and deleted your stuff for giggles or because they were mad at you.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The more important issue is that your account has been compromised in such a way that even CS can’t see it. Make sure to change the email associated with your account, and choose a good password for both email account and game account. Also, consider Mobile or email authentication.

Good luck.

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

fair enough but it makes no logical sense why someone would delete all of their characters and then try to get them back if they got sick of them for one and second off restoring my characters gives me no gain or edge in any way shape or form. It just puts me back to where I left off from when I had to take a break from the game as if nothing did happen to my account while I was taking a break.

So let’s say, for example, I have 5 characters with rare items. A couple un-soulbound legendaries in my bags, perhaps. I sell those off. I transfer my gold to a guild bank or another account. I delete my characters. Then I email CS and claim I was hacked and can I have a rollback, please?

Boom, now I have 5 characters with legendaries all over again. Lather, rinse, repeat. And that’s why they need to see that your account was accessed by someone else.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

(edited by bluestocking.6148)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Please note a few things in relation to Ticket 722932 (which is your ticket number):

• If you have a question about a Customer Support decision, the forum members cannot answer it. You may update your ticket to ask your questions of the Customer Support Team, which you did, and which they answered. Beyond that, you may post in the Tickets for Review thread — as you also did. However, starting a separate thread on this issue isn’t appropriate (and is, in fact, a violation of the Forum Code of Conduct).
  • In your particular case, your account was not compromised.
  • We do not have a policy of giving one free restoration per account, upon request. We have a policy where we will restore an account if we are able to establish that it was compromised by an unknown third party, and such restorations generally are reserved to one per account.
  • Deletion of characters is not “proof” of a compromise incident. Players delete all their characters from time to time, for a variety of reasons.
  • Proof of compromise occurs through game logs, which establish points of access, security breaches, the offloading of items (generally to an RMT-associated accounts) and much more. I can’t recall a single time that an account was compromised where game lots did not show it, so log err isn’t a factor here.
  • The final answer here remains as it has through several official responses: we are unable to offer you an account restoration because your account was not compromised.
Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)