Confusion - authenticating codes

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Auntie.7864

Auntie.7864

I just replaced the modem/router for my internet service. As in previous times when I’ve used a different IP address, I expected to get an email authentication. I didn’t get one. At this point I’ve submitted tickets to Anet Support for all five of my husbands and mine GW2 accounts, so Anet is working this issue.

As a result of this situation, I took a closer look at the ways of receiving authentication messages from Anet. The problem is, I don’t have a cell phone. I prefer to not get calls at my house – I’m often working on things like this late at night when my husband is asleep. The articles written by Anet about methods of receiving authentication codes has me terribly confused. The terminology used to explain the new system is loaded with jargon I am not familiar with.

So, how does someone receive authentication codes when they don’t own a cell phone, doesn’t want calls at home, doesn’t own a tablet, is using Windows 10 and doesn’t want the expense of paying for an app that can be designated to received authentication codes from GW2? (I’m not entirely sure if I’ve summarized that correctly -> confused.) Any suggestions?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Use the free applications, such as WinAuth. https://winauth.com/

Good luck.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You can use an authentication app that does not go through your cell phone and it is free. More information here:

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230673087-Help-with-the-Authenticator-App

The Burninator

Auntie.7864

I checked out one of these apps and there were no clear instructions on how to use the app. Is there an app for dummies version?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The link provided above has instructions. Should you need additional help I would suggest submitting a support ticket as I am sure Anet support will be happy to guide you through it.

The Burninator

Auntie.7864

The link provided above has instructions. Should you need additional help I would suggest submitting a support ticket as I am sure Anet support will be happy to guide you through it.

I did check out the ones on the link you listed. I downloaded the only app I could see for PC’s. Only, the app had no instructions on how to use it. Really, I am totally confused about how to use the app. Downloaded the app, opened it and had empty screen with “+” – I’m guessing this means add GW2 to it. But, what do I type in? gw2.exe? My game key code (I don’t think that’s a good option)? I’m in the dark here.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here are the instructions for downloading: https://winauth.com/download/, and once downloaded and installed, the app gives you instructions on how to set it up for Guild Wars 2, if that’s the choice you select from the drop-down menu (shows when you click the ‘+’).

I just re-installed it on my computer, and set it up for my account, as I am soon leaving town.

Good luck.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Auntie.7864

I did check out the ones on the link you listed. I downloaded the only app I could see for PC’s. Only, the app had no instructions on how to use it. Really, I am totally confused about how to use the app. Downloaded the app, opened it and had empty screen with “+” – I’m guessing this means add GW2 to it. But, what do I type in? gw2.exe? My game key code (I don’t think that’s a good option)? I’m in the dark here.

Oh, Anet did give me the same link that you listed. What I really need is to speak to someone directly. After I submitted a ticket to Anet I sent a reply asking for clarification. Anet sent me the links with articles. But that just added to my confusion. This is why I’m reaching out in Forum. I feel in over my head.

Auntie.7864

Well, I went through WinAuth. I hope I did it right. I appreciate everyone’s input.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The instructions are pretty clear once you click the ‘+’ icon and choose Guild Wars 2.

Just follow the step-by-step instructions:

Click the ‘Security’ option.
Click the ‘Set up the App’ button.
Enter your security code (given when you ‘Set up the App’ in the ‘Security’ section of ‘My Account’).
Click ‘Verify Authenticator’.
Enter the given code to verify the app is working.

Make sure to copy down and store in a safe place the original ‘Security Code’ used to set up the app. This code is used to re-enable the app should it be removed or used elsewhere.

Good luck.

Edit: Never mind.