Connection Issues

Connection Issues

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Fearless Sister.5180

Fearless Sister.5180

Ive been having some trouble over the last day or so when on my game seems to disconnect. I can still move around but the skills flash and the NPCs or other players stay still. Sometimes it will stay like this for a few mins then come back where i will be dead. Other times i have to restart.

Is there a way to test my ping to the server im playing on. im in the UK but i play on a US server but this issue is only a day or so old.

Connection Issues

Posted by: Zhohan.3859

Zhohan.3859

The same thing was happening to me when I was playing during Thanksgiving. Your internet provider may be responsible for this. Some provider throttle speeds and raise ping when large amounts of people are eating up their internet lines.
I’m sure once Winter’s Break ends, you’ll be fine. Glad I could help!

Connection Issues

Posted by: chilimannen.5682

chilimannen.5682

Yes there is, but only do this if you are using an ethernet cable to connect your PC to your router/modem. Air-based networking is easily disrupted and not recommended for any PC purposes. Likely causes to your problem: Thanksgiving being a holiday, people are home browsing the internets. Their WiFi is disrupting your WiFi. Most likely if you are living in an apartment.

IF you are, doing it the real way with cables. You could run “ping gw2serveraddress -t >> pingdata.txt”. Which will save you the ping times to a text file. Replace gw2serveraddress with the address of the actual server. Depending on which server you play at.

You should also ping your gateway, sometimes your gateway will slow down, it might be receiving updates or maybe it’s just weak as cheese. Do you share the connection? Their web browsing habits could affect your gaming experience IF: your router doesn’t know how to QoS. (aka being cheap.) You might be able to fix this, either configuring the router or replacing it altogether.

Don’t go rushing off blaming it on the ISP. In many cases it’s their fault, but far from all. In some cases they’re routing your traffic over already busy nodes, some nodes might be down for maintenance and so forth.

Depending on the architecture of your local (area, not only your personal) network, during busy hours the line capacity might not be enough. If there’s not enough bandwidth available, it won’t be fast enough. Thus your browsing experience is dependent on your neighbors, which would explain thanksgiving lack of etherpower.