Constant Crashing + PC Restart

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Vankardo.8216

Vankardo.8216

Hey guys, I’ve seen a lot of crash reports on the forums but none seem to be of the same nature or have the same causes as mine.

I have an MSI GT83VR 6RE with 2x Nvidia GTX 1070 SLI and I can run all games i can think of at max settings with a constant 60 FPS.

While playing Guild Wars 2, sometimes the game crashes and restarts my PC as soon as I choose my character and enter or after some time of playing, can range from 5 minutes to 6 hours. Things I’ve tried doing to solve the issue:

-Contacting support (sadly no avail), I will be contacting them again shortly.
-Running GW2 shortcut with repair command, stops responding when the bar almost reaches the end.
-Uninstalled then redownloaded and installed the game
-Changed settings to use only one graphic card rather than SLI on GW2
-Overclocking and underclocking my CPU and GPU
-Playing at lowest graphics settings

Notes:
-When I click “Auto-detect” in the graphics settings it puts a lot of the settings to the lowest.
-I’m sure it’s not a hardware issue, I’ve done a lot of tests, and I can run GTA V, Mafia III, Witcher III at max settings with constant 60 FPS and even more without any hitches.
-Crashes happen at random locations, but also like others have reported Lion’s Arch seems to be the place that causes the most crashes very quickly.

Any suggestions would be helpful, I am willing to try everything to fix it.

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

I have a MSI GT73VR 6re single gtx1070, when i first bought the laptop i had similar issues as you described (no problem with benchmarks and different games, random crashes with some games after few minutes or hours) and luckily had it replaced after a week. All seems related to the GTX1070 “https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=280126.0” people having issues with different msi models where the GTX1070 is used in sli or not.

Here some things you can try https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=276367.0

(edited by RedZebra.2345)

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

Hm I’ve only been getting them recently, gtx 1070 here as well, also a new driver just dropped a few days ago. Will check that other thread, thanks.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

If you are having your entire machine restart, that’s a hardware or driver problem.

It’s entirely possible that GW2 is the only thing you run that happens to trigger it, but that doesn’t mean it’s “at fault”, just that it happens to be the thing showing up the underlying issue.

I’d suggest you start with ensuring the cards are seated correctly, bridges and power connected properly, your power supply is delivering appropriate voltage, cooling is working as expected, etc.

RedZebra.2345

Slippy Cheeze, you correct saying all is showing for a hardware or driver problem.
But MSI GT83VR 6RE is a laptop, however the gtx1070’s are mounted on cards they are not meant to be unseated. In the case of MSI the problem seams to be related to the max boost clock the cards are using 1.9 GHz without overclock, like always there’s a spread in components and as for most people there are no problems, but the unlucky ones have severe to mild issues. (first all pointed in the direction of the micron gddr5 ram used in some cards, but also people with gddr5 from samsung are having issues)
Lowering the base clock won’t help, you have to reduce the max boost clock. People who were sending back there laptops to msi mention that the vbios was changed when returned and exactly in this vbios the boostclock was limited.

Posted by: SpeedYz.4596

SpeedYz.4596

I’m having the same exact issues right now and ITS VERY aggravating. I’m very hyped for Season 7 of PVP, but my game JUST KEEPS CRASHING over and over. I have tried everything but to no avail. I’ve played this game since launch and have never had any isssues until the last few weeks with this crashing.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

1. Have you checked your system for overheating issues?
2. Do you get a BSoD when your system crashes? If so, what information does it give you?
3. Is it possible that you have a defective PSU?

Vankardo.8216

Thank you for your inputs SlippyCheeze, and RedZebra, I will look into your suggestions.

Ashantara there is no overheating and upon system crash i don’t get a BSoD, just a black screen and system shutdown then instant reboot.

The support recently replied telling me to run the game in windowed mode and then when I’m in the game I can go back to full-screen. I don’t exactly get what this does but I will be trying it nevertheless.

Posted by: Tresor.9246

Tresor.9246

I am having a similar issue as OP: Asus ROG GL702VS – i7-7700 / GTX 1070 Mobile. The temps do run up to 80-82c full tilt but are within normal operating range of this mobile CPU and GPU. Nevertheless, I purchased an external laptop cooling fan on the CPU side that lowers the temp notably (5-10c). There are no BSODs on crash, total freeze, hard reboot. No other games are having issues, i.e., Witcher III, Elite Dangerous, Overwatch, Diablo III, Path of Exile – all good. This is unique to GW2 for sure.

Posted by: Witi.2916

Witi.2916

Hi all i have also similar issue. Gw2 running on my asus radeon rx460. Also games like wither 3, Da3 runnig at full settings but gw2 not.

Game crash mi in two ways first is black window with game cursor and task manager says not responding. Second way crash to restart pc. I think driver is problem and i think ours issue are that drivers are not compatible with gw2.

My problem start srveral weeks ago when gw2 put some update. I think its driver cuz icon on the rights side near clock dont know how call in english disapear and write some thing that driver must stop or crash.

But i also try reinstal drivers game repair shortcut and nothing help.

I’ll be very glad if some1 can find a solution. Im pvper and if i get crash team loose cuz of me. Please guyz help us

Also gw team can help if they know cuz reason was some of gw2 updates thanks.

Posted by: Spearo.7546

Spearo.7546

I am running a new iMac with loads of memory and excellent NVIDIA GeForce GTX.
All the Blizzard games run with no problems at all.
GW2 keeps crashing randomly with either random reboot, computer freezes or game restart .
It is not a driver issue nor a heating issue. The only possibility is that the developers have not yet addressed all the Mac compatibility requirements.
For me it is so frustrating that I am considering quitting the game until such time as the SW is sorted.

Ashantara.8731

Ashantara there is no overheating and upon system crash i don’t get a BSoD, just a black screen and system shutdown then instant reboot.

Usually, when the system just shuts down like that, that’s the PSU saving it from damage. Are you sure your PSU is sufficient for the hardware you have attached to it? Or that there isn’t some wiring issue? Have you opened the PC and checked all cables are attached properly etc.? Also, is the hardware free of dust layers and flakes?

The support recently replied telling me to run the game in windowed mode and then when I’m in the game I can go back to full-screen. I don’t exactly get what this does but I will be trying it nevertheless.

Did it help? What are your nVidia Control Panel settings for GW2? (screenshot, please) Also, are you using a 64-bit or 32-bit system?

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

RedZebra.2345

Ashantara his system is a LAPTOP, no cables. You can remove the 1070x’s but then you have to repaste (so a no go). And this is only for MSI laptop systems containing a gtx1070.
Problems occurred when the core clock is changing at clocks abover recomanded nvidia specs and this related to to the gddr5 mem used. For single cards in these system you’ll see a tdr when this happens, for sli systems a restart occurs.
It has nothing to do with overheating or bad psu just a malfunction of the gddr5

Ashantara.8731

Ah, thanks, Red. I didn’t check and am_ not familiar with MSI computers, so it didn’t hit me.

Edit: LOL! Had to place an underscore there, because the forum’s programming thinks I typed something nasty and censored it. What?!

SlippyCheeze.5483

I am running a new iMac with loads of memory and excellent NVIDIA GeForce GTX.
All the Blizzard games run with no problems at all.
GW2 keeps crashing randomly with either random reboot, computer freezes or game restart .
It is not a driver issue nor a heating issue. The only possibility is that the developers have not yet addressed all the Mac compatibility requirements.
For me it is so frustrating that I am considering quitting the game until such time as the SW is sorted.

It is entirely within the realm of possibility for Blizzard games to work perfectly fine™ on macOS, and GW2 to cause it to crash, due to hardware or driver issues. All that requires is that whatever feature in the driver has the bug, or whatever triggers the hardware fault, only happens with GW2.

That could include:

• using different generations of API (eg: DX9 vs DX11)
    * using different driver API (eg: OpenGL, DirectX, Metal, etc)
    * using different hardware features
    * working the graphics hardware harder

For example, we know that GW2 has a much higher bus load than many other games when it comes to shipping data to and from the graphics card. That implies it also works the GPU memory harder, which means that it could, eg, reveal failures that other games don’t from overclocking (or marginal) hardware.

Having other games work correctly definitely helps suggest that common factors (eg: heat levels) are not at fault, but it cannot conclusively rule out either hardware or software problems.

Posted by: soloez.5910

soloez.5910

THIS IS NOT A HARDWARE NOR DRIVER ISSUE.
I have been play the game for 4 years, this Constant Crashing only happen 3 weeks ago after the ‘WINDOWS 10 CREATOR’ update. If you don’t have win 10 you will not have this issue, so please stop telling people to update driver/hardware. Anet was try to patch this a few times, the 6/8 patch fix most of the issues, but then 6/9 patch mess up more then ever. I having crashing 5-15 min, sometimes if I change map I crash, sometimes if I use waypoint I crash. Anet really need to fix this for now this is totally unplayable for me

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

I have been play the game for 4 years, this Constant Crashing only happen 3 weeks ago after the ‘WINDOWS 10 CREATOR’ update. If you don’t have win 10 you will not have this issue, so please stop telling people to update driver/hardware. Anet was try to patch this a few times, the 6/8 patch fix most of the issues, but then 6/9 patch mess up more then ever. I having crashing 5-15 min, sometimes if I change map I crash, sometimes if I use waypoint I crash. Anet really need to fix this for now this is totally unplayable for me

It is unlikely Windows 10 creators update cause the crash itself. If it was the cause, there will be a gigantic megathread warning everybody to not update.

The reason why we are pretty quick to blame hardware/driver issues is that Anet already have a gigantic Q/A team. I assume they vet all patches before distributing it to the user, but they are unable to test all configurations

Vankardo.8216

Did it help? What are your nVidia Control Panel settings for GW2? (screenshot, please) Also, are you using a 64-bit or 32-bit system?

No that suggestions of theirs did not help, and I have a 64-bit system (here’s a link to it, so you can make sure it’s a laptop like RedZebra clarified https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT83VR-6RE-Titan-SLI.html), but I have been in constant contact with the support over the last 2 days, and maybe, hopefully, we can find a solution to my problem. If I find anything that works completely I will post it here.

For the time being, I play, crash, play again then crash… But I do have hopes, the support team have been very helpful and responsive so far.

(edited by Vankardo.8216)

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

No that suggestions of theirs did not help, and I have a 64-bit system (here’s a link to it, so you can make sure it’s a laptop like RedZebra clarified https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT83VR-6RE-Titan-SLI.html), but I have been in constant contact with the support over the last 2 days, and maybe, hopefully, we can find a solution to my problem. If I find anything that works completely I will post it here.

For the time being, I play, crash, play again then crash… But I do have hopes, the support team have been very helpful and responsive so far.

I think Ashantara is asking if you are using the 64 bit binary. If you are using the binary from default install, then you are using the 32bit application.

SlippyCheeze.5483

It is unlikely Windows 10 creators update cause the crash itself. If it was the cause, there will be a gigantic megathread warning everybody to not update.

The reason why we are pretty quick to blame hardware/driver issues is that Anet already have a gigantic Q/A team. I assume they vet all patches before distributing it to the user, but they are unable to test all configurations

The biggest source of crashing around that update was actually third party tools that inject into the D3D display pipeline. Things like Riva Stats Server, AMD AfterBurner, NVIDIA ShadowPlay, etc, along with some subset of VoIP client overlays.

It seems that something was changed in a way that they stopped working with — my guess, they were doing something that wasn’t strictly API supported, and a chance to the D3D build broke whatever internals they were poking into or something.

Anyway, that’s been the biggest cause of fixed crashing issues for people who report them after Windows 10 updates, followed by hardware problems, followed by driver updates (or, in a couple of cases, downgrades.)

Despite soloez’s insistance that they ABSOLUTELY KNOW THE CAUSE, THEY JUST WON’T SHARE IT WITH ANYONE, the fact remains that when folks come here looking for help, and report back what fixed it, those are the biggest hits at the moment.

Oh, uh, and just for the record … I’m running Windows 10, fully updated, and having zero of these problems. It’s just an anecdote, of course, at one sample, but … it’s enough for me to feel that I have proof by counterexample to your assertion that it can only possibly be the Windows 10 + GW2 combination, and that anet must take action to correct it.

Posted by: Seditious Jerk.9703

Seditious Jerk.9703

Well, you can add me to this list. I have a MSI GT72VR 7RE laptop – i7 7700HQ CPU, 32GB of RAM, nVidia 1070GTX 8GB card, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, the OS is fully patched, my drivers for the NIC, video card, and RealTek audio are all updated with the latest possible revisions, any miscellaneous sideshow apps have been removed, and I’m up a creek.

The strange thing is that I can log on several characters and play for hours on end with absolutely no problem. I just rolled up a brand new Asura character and I can take somewhere between 5 and 50 steps before the laptop screen goes dark, PC freezes, and I reboot. I have successfully reproduced this problem 6 times in a row without fail. I can then switch over to my Char warrior and play for hours without any issues at all. I don’t have this issue in any other game or application – it is most certainly related to the Guild Wars client in some way, shape, or form.

Posted by: Texon.4590

Texon.4590

count me in i have same issues

Texon.4590

901 views and no replies from arenanet team yet :p any news about fixing would be great.

Posted by: dammitmanxl.8732

dammitmanxl.8732

I’ve been having the same issues, i can play hours at a time sometimes with no crash, or 5 minutes in southsun, and it shuts everything off and forces me to hard reset.

i have i7 6700k
1080 sli
16gb ram
1000w platinum psu that ive changed twice cause people have suggested it may be faulty

Posted by: Walle.6045

Walle.6045

I have the same issue I thought I fixed it but still happens.
Changed PSU 3 times now just in case.
It is just random computer will just restart and boot back up.

i7-6700k
GTX 1080
16GB
psu: 1000w

Texon.4590

did anyone fix the problem ? im still having it here. msi GT62Vr Dominator Pro Gtx 1070

(edited by Texon.4590)

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

901 views and no replies from arenanet team yet :p any news about fixing would be great.

the game does not support SLI or cross fire at all !!

and if you look at this topic you see others have problems with NVidia 10 series video cards

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Lighting-Issues-Game-Update-4-18/page/3#post6727426

and they still can not fix this problem yet at all

the fix I found which I did not like for this game . was to shut down computer take off the SLI bridge and remove one video card

and then power up computer again reset every thing and open the game up . has been the most easy fix I found for this problem . which I did not like it

so I went back and made a mid line comp with good parts and did not use SLI or cross fire . and on this comp I can play the game fully .

all other games tho I play like wow grand theft auto and eso . I can use that computer to play in SLI and cross fire with out a problem at all

no new system upgrades coming

Texon.4590

fix was vbios for me as msi GT62Vr 6Re dominator pro laptob i download vbios for GT72vr and it worked for me after install it, even tho i take risk of download something else from another laptob model but whatever , no hard crashs and laptob reset anymore. if you Gt72vr domintor pro laptob and your problem look like that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyrzU007lE0
and need file that it https://goo.gl/7K4Sk7

(edited by Texon.4590)

Texon.4590

Well, you can add me to this list. I have a MSI GT72VR 7RE laptop – i7 7700HQ CPU, 32GB of RAM, nVidia 1070GTX 8GB card, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, the OS is fully patched, my drivers for the NIC, video card, and RealTek audio are all updated with the latest possible revisions, any miscellaneous sideshow apps have been removed, and I’m up a creek.

The strange thing is that I can log on several characters and play for hours on end with absolutely no problem. I just rolled up a brand new Asura character and I can take somewhere between 5 and 50 steps before the laptop screen goes dark, PC freezes, and I reboot. I have successfully reproduced this problem 6 times in a row without fail. I can then switch over to my Char warrior and play for hours without any issues at all. I don’t have this issue in any other game or application – it is most certainly related to the Guild Wars client in some way, shape, or form.

try that vbios https://goo.gl/7K4Sk7

befor you install make sure you have latest gpu driver which is 385.41 which is work for me at the moment . then install vbios after
how to install https://www.msi.com/files/pdf/VBIOS_flash_sop_for_Skylake.pdf

(edited by Texon.4590)

Texon.4590

guys i think nothing wrong with power supply in our msi laptobs is just vbios it corrupted if your problem look like that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyrzU007lE0 .

however there chances that your system bios is out of date too so make sure you have latest from msi website your laptob site . how to check your version , write msi help desk in windows search (for msi users)

just fixed mine. was vbios

(edited by Texon.4590)

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

This type of crash as always been a problem with GW2 going as far back as 2012 on my old machine with a gtx670.

ANet never replies. It’s been an issue with GW2 pretty much since launch. There is just something flaky in the code they’ve never managed to track down.

Read the symptoms. Sound familiar?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Random-Freeze-Shutdown-Restart-READ-THIS/first#post6700216

It’s not new and not related to Windows 10 Creator…that was a different issue that I believe they patched. GW2 used NOT like SLi and ran like a dog (<10fps) and autodetect ultra low settings. At least that’s how it used to be back when I first started playing (2xgtx275), but I think it ran OK with one card disabled…though I don’t remember if I took one card out or just disabled one. Ultimately I decided SLi wasn’t worth the headache and replaced the two cards with a single 560, which was plenty for GW2. This is a laptop you have, so you can’t easily remove one card to test, right? Contrary to what most people would tell you, GW2 IS sensitive to overclocked hardware. Sometimes it’s happy, sometimes it’s not. ArenaNet has said so in one of their sticky posts.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Crashing-Issues-1/first#post4146866

You said you underclocked. By how much? As a test, download a program called nVidia Inspector and drop your GPU clock speed by like 15%. With a 1070, that’s still plenty of power to run the game at full everything. I drop it by this on the 670, now my kid’s machine, and still run things mostly maxed. You can also use Afterburner or anything else that lets you change the clock. I like nVidia Inspector simply because it’s dead simple.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

Texon.4590

This type of crash as always been a problem with GW2 going as far back as 2012 on my old machine with a gtx670.

ANet never replies. It’s been an issue with GW2 pretty much since launch. There is just something flaky in the code they’ve never managed to track down.

Read the symptoms. Sound familiar?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Random-Freeze-Shutdown-Restart-READ-THIS/first#post6700216

It’s not new and not related to Windows 10 Creator…that was a different issue that I believe they patched. GW2 used NOT like SLi and ran like a dog (<10fps) and autodetect ultra low settings. At least that’s how it used to be back when I first started playing (2xgtx275), but I think it ran OK with one card disabled…though I don’t remember if I took one card out or just disabled one. Ultimately I decided SLi wasn’t worth the headache and replaced the two cards with a single 560, which was plenty for GW2. This is a laptop you have, so you can’t easily remove one card to test, right? Contrary to what most people would tell you, GW2 IS sensitive to overclocked hardware. Sometimes it’s happy, sometimes it’s not. ArenaNet has said so in one of their sticky posts.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Crashing-Issues-1/first#post4146866

You said you underclocked. By how much? As a test, download a program called nVidia Inspector and drop your GPU clock speed by like 15%. With a 1070, that’s still plenty of power to run the game at full everything. I drop it by this on the 670, now my kid’s machine, and still run things mostly maxed. You can also use Afterburner or anything else that lets you change the clock. I like nVidia Inspector simply because it’s dead simple.

hey leamas thanks for replay but did you read the update posts , i already fix that problem it wasn’t from guild wars 2 ^_ it was vbios problem which deal with power mangement for gpu cause a fail and make whole system crash i simply fixed it after 2 weeks by finding some vbios file which worked for my system while the one suggested by msi was corrputed and didn’t work ,, atm im playing in high settings with latest nvidia driver without problem

(edited by Texon.4590)

Leamas.5803

hey leamas thanks for replay but did you read the update posts , i already fix that problem it wasn’t from guild wars 2 ^_ it was vbios problem which deal with power mangement for gpu cause a fail and make whole system crash i simply fixed it after 2 weeks by finding some vbios file which worked for my system while the one suggested by msi was corrputed and didn’t work ,

Yes, I saw you fixed your problem. But many others still have problems and as I said, it’s been a long long running problem with GW2, going back nearly 5 years. The first time I personally reported it on this forum was January of 2013.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Crashing-problems/first#post1264339

After fighting with it for years, software/driver/BIOS updates, enabling/disabling crap in the BIOS, new memory/HD, reinstalled windows (Both 7 and 10), brought in to the shop where I bought it for testing 3 times, etc. Couldn’t RMA/warranty anything because no one could reproduce the problems. Down clocking is the only thing that worked. I was just sharing my experience.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

Texon.4590

hey leamas thanks for replay but did you read the update posts , i already fix that problem it wasn’t from guild wars 2 ^_ it was vbios problem which deal with power mangement for gpu cause a fail and make whole system crash i simply fixed it after 2 weeks by finding some vbios file which worked for my system while the one suggested by msi was corrputed and didn’t work ,

Yes, I saw you fixed your problem. But many others still have problems and as I said, it’s been a long long running problem with GW2, going back nearly 5 years. The first time I personally reported it on this forum was January of 2013.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Crashing-problems/first#post1264339

After fighting with it for years, software/driver/BIOS updates, enabling/disabling crap in the BIOS, new memory/HD, reinstalled windows (Both 7 and 10), brought in to the shop where I bought it for testing 3 times, etc. Couldn’t RMA/warranty anything because no one could reproduce the problems. Down clocking is the only thing that worked. I was just sharing my experience.

there difference between bios and vbios btw , i think if your vbios is corrputed and sometime when you contact support whatever your pc company is they give another corrputed one , the only way i have fixed my problem was found the perfect one that match my gpu , some games dosn’t crash like we said here but i get shocked when i played tera and it also crash and i hadn’t that problem befor and i notice it was Votlage usage for gpu after using GPU-Z program after that i asked in msi forums and someone showed me video which is that https://youtu.be/zyrzU007lE0 showing the same problem as mine , after updating the vbios that problem dosn’t show anymore and yea i updated bios and everything befor that i almost lose hope and no luck the only way was to fix it was to download file that worked for my gpu , found it by that guy which use another laptob model but whatever i take risk , and it work now .

and yea you said down clock which mean it is problem with your gpu power mangement it is not right which cause failer and make your system crash and restart so you need the perfect one , to fix it find the perfect vbios match your gpu.

(edited by Texon.4590)

Posted by: Walle.6045

Walle.6045

I have tried everything except down clocking. I would prefer not to mess with things, but I guess I am left with no options. I have not idea what I am doing, is there any where I can go to easily down clock and restore back to normal settings when I play other games? I am currently using a EVGA GTX 1080 FTW.

Texon.4590

I have tried everything except down clocking. I would prefer not to mess with things, but I guess I am left with no options. I have not idea what I am doing, is there any where I can go to easily down clock and restore back to normal settings when I play other games? I am currently using a EVGA GTX 1080 FTW.

don’t down clock your gpu just find the perfect vbios for your gpu which works , take that file which worked for me and give it to nvidia and ask them for something smaller ,
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/290930640830988289/356616107991498752/86.04.5B.00.8A.zip

ask nvidia in live support for something smaller. for Evga 1080 and let them know you are pc not notebook. if you are pc
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch
Select Geforce Graphich in product

it work for my msi notebook 1070gpu

keep in mind that i use notebook which might have less power than if you have pc

and if it look like that for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyrzU007lE0

that power problem for gpu so you need to ask nvidia for perfect one

there also 20% chance that you using bad power supply which not giving equal power to all your pc needs

im not familer with evga websites or cards but i just google and find that page
https://www.evga.com/thermalmod/
good luck , let me know if it works.

(edited by Texon.4590)

Leamas.5803

I agree, playing with your clocks can be a bit scary and I avoided it for years. If you want an easy, set it and forget it solution, download a program called nVidia Inspector.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

here’s a screen shot….
http://i1-win.softpedia-static.com/screenshots/NVIDIA-Inspector_1.jpg

Here’s how to set it up.

• Download it. There is no install, so just unzip it in to a folder on the desktop, run it (nvidiaInspector.exe) and press the show overclocking button.
  • Before you change any settings. Press the Create Clocks Shortcut button. This should create a shortcut on the desktop named something like NVI_…rename it to something like “Factory Clock Settings”
  • Now, if it’s like mine, the GPU clock is greyed out. That’s because it’s locked together with the shader clock, so use the shader to adjust the setting. According to eVGA, the clock speed on the card is boosted to 1860MHz, with a base clock speed of 1721MHz. For myself, as a test , with that card I would go a full 15% reduction. That’s still plenty of juice for GW2 at full settings at 1080p. So reduce the shader until the GPU clock is at ~1581. If your clock isn’t set to 1860MHz, just subtract 15% off of whatever it is and set it to that. If they’re not locked together, just do the GPU Clock.
  • Press the Apply Clocks and Voltage button
  • Press the Create Clocks Shortcut button again to create a second link on the desktop. Rename it to something like Down Clocked 15%.
  • If GPU and shader clocks were not locked together, and you still get crashing, create a 3rd shortcut and reduce both the GPU clock and Shader clock and try that.

Once completed, switching between base clock and down clocked is as simple as the click of an icon. Then all you have to do is run the Down Clocked shortcut before playing GW2, and set it back to factory default afterwards by running the Factory Clock shortcut. The beauty of these shortcuts is once you create them, you never have to look at the clock settings again. You just run the shortcut and it does it for you.

No guarantees it will work, but it worked for me and I know it’s worked for many others. Let us know how you make out.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

Leamas.5803

What do you mean by “perfect vbios”? What does perfect even mean?
“ask nvidia in live support for something smaller”…a smaller what?

I don’t know about these days, but I can say when I was having these problems, both eVGA and nVidia were useless. It was an eVGA nVidia gtx670 Superclocked. I fought with them for months to try to get the card fixed or replaced. They did get me to update the BIOS on the card but it did not help. Their final conclusion was that GW2 was at fault and they would NOT RMA the card. I had the machine in to the shop 3 times to try to to get the card replaced under warranty, but they could not reproduce the issue, so would not replace the card. Again, they said, since it specific to GW2, it must the the software causing it, not faulty hardware.

I would add that since down clocking, GW2 as not crashed…not once and now I can even run it without limiting the frame rate and reducing graphics settings.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

Texon.4590

I don’t know about these days, but I can say when I was having these problems, both eVGA and nVidia were useless. It was an eVGA nVidia gtx670 Superclocked. I fought with them for months to try to get the card fixed or replaced. They did get me to update the BIOS on the card but it did not help. Their final conclusion was that GW2 was at fault and they would NOT RMA the card. I had the machine in to the shop 3 times to try to to get the card replaced under warranty, but they could not reproduce the issue, so would not replace the card. Again, they said, since it specific to GW2, it must the the software causing it, not faulty hardware.

I would add that since down clocking, GW2 as not crashed…not once and now I can even run it without limiting the frame rate and reducing graphics settings.

well yea i feel ya , i been also angry with nvidia support and i also sent alot of tickets to gw2 support team i thought the problem was from the game , and is show that nvidia have some people not expert @ all they also give me video bios for the gpu like you said and it doesn’t work the only one worked was made by china like what video owner says , and after that i felt bad after blaming guild wars 2 team which is not the cause of the problem. i been also saying it was guild wars 2 etc but no , is not cause they have players playing with 1080 Ti without problem . it is all about power mangement in that newest gpus and the newest drivers.

the problem might not show in some games but when i tried Tera i had the same problem and that how i notice it wasn’t guild wars 2 fault , and when you say down clocking is because your gpu using less votlage after down clocking and that way you get no problem.

i been repeat that milion time :p.

and im playing with highest settings right now with gtx 1070 with 0 problem and flying fps

and 1 more thing it also depends on your motherboard and power supply etc sometimes not all vbios working for difference pc specs. that happen sometimes too. is like feeding motherboard more then it limit, that why different vbios are made for differents pc models. you got to know what u use

(edited by Texon.4590)

Leamas.5803

well yea i feel ya , i been also angry with nvidia support and i also sent alot of tickets to gw2 support team i thought the problem was from the game , and is show that nvidia have some people not expert @ all they also give me video bios for the gpu like you said and it doesn’t work the only one worked was made by china like what video owner says , and after that i felt bad after blaming guild wars 2 team which is not the cause of the problem. i been also saying it was guild wars 2 etc but no , is not cause they have players playing with 1080 Ti without problem . it is all about power mangement in that newest gpus and the newest drivers.

the problem might not show in some games but when i tried Tera i had the same kitten problem and that how i notice it wasn’t guild wars 2 fault

It’s not just the newest cards, in my case, the 670 is what…5 years old? I agree, it’s likely some flaky little thing in the video BIOS since a Windows reinstall does not fix it, but you can only fight with the vendor so much before it gets tedious. So who gave you the BIOS update? Was it nVidia or MSI? Typically, the BIOS would come from the vendor, in this case MSI. What was changed in the BIOS? Did you do a before/after comparison in something like Afterburner (Probably preinstalled since it’s an MSI card) to see what changed? Perhaps the new BIOS simply reduced clock speeds…in which case applying a Chinese BIOS is overkill. Maybe MSI provides better support, as I said, eVGA was useless. If the BIOS came from nVidia then it likely just changed the clock speeds back to original, non-overclocked, factory settings. Overclocking is typically done by the vendor, not the chipset manufacturer.

I don’t feel bad blaming ANet. GW2 is the ONLY thing I have that does this, so they’re doing something weird that triggers it that few others do. I’ve tested it with dozens of games, including Darksiders 2, Bioshock Infinite, L4D2, Portal 2, Skyrim with HD textures and view distance set way out, Nexuiz benchmarch, eVGA stress test, Furmark stress test, Furmark burn in test. Anything to make the card work hard. Memtest86 was done, and all the memory was replaced, Intel CPU integrity test was done. PSU voltage load test was done several times.

Again, ANet has long acknowledged that GW2 does NOT like overclocking. here is a 3 year old sticky post directly from Gaile Gray.

“You may also want to check to see if any of your hardware is overclocked or is utilizing a Turbo Boost feature. If so, consider returning to stock settings, because Guild Wars 2 is sensitive to overclocking.”

In this case “stock settings” mean stock at the time the chipset was manufactured, NOT stock as it was purchased in the store. Most video cards come overclocked off the shelf, which is not the same as the manufacturer stock.

Texon.4590

the problem might not show in some games but when i tried Tera i had the same kitten problem and that how i notice it wasn’t guild wars 2 fault

It’s not just the newest cards, in my case, the 670 is what…5 years old? I agree, it’s likely some flaky little thing in the video BIOS since a Windows reinstall does not fix it, but you can only fight with the vendor so much before it gets tedious. So who gave you the BIOS update? Was it nVidia or MSI? Typically, the BIOS would come from the vendor, in this case MSI. What was changed in the BIOS? Did you do a before/after comparison in something like Afterburner (Probably preinstalled since it’s an MSI card) to see what changed? Perhaps the new BIOS simply reduced clock speeds…in which case applying a Chinese BIOS is overkill. Maybe MSI provides better support, as I said, eVGA was useless. If the BIOS came from nVidia then it likely just changed the clock speeds back to original, non-overclocked, factory settings. Overclocking is typically done by the vendor, not the chipset manufacturer.

I don’t feel bad blaming ANet. GW2 is the ONLY thing I have that does this, so they’re doing something weird that triggers it that few others do. I’ve tested it with dozens of games, including Darksiders 2, Bioshock Infinite, L4D2, Portal 2, Skyrim with HD textures and view distance set way out, Nexuiz benchmarch, eVGA stress test, Furmark stress test, Furmark burn in test. Anything to make the card work hard. Memtest86 was done, and all the memory was replaced, Intel CPU integrity test was done. PSU voltage load test was done several times.

Again, ANet has long acknowledged that GW2 does NOT like overclocking. here is a 3 year old sticky post directly from Gaile Gray.

“You may also want to check to see if any of your hardware is overclocked or is utilizing a Turbo Boost feature. If so, consider returning to stock settings, because Guild Wars 2 is sensitive to overclocking.”

In this case “stock settings” mean stock at the time the chipset was manufactured, NOT stock as it was purchased in the store. Most video cards come overclocked off the shelf, which is not the same as the manufacturer stock.

im not sure if it is msi or nvidia i get vbios file from some random stranger @ msi forums he wasn’t staff or anything even the staff them self didn’t solve that , that guy just came and show me that video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyrzU007lE0

yea i even take risk of downloading it it wasn’t for my model laptob but it works

and since you asked if i used Msi afterburner i was using that but it wasn’t really smooth as GPU-Z i simply make my windows write every single gpu info every 0.3 second to note and after that i read the note after i crash and the issue was everytime votlage go above 1.0550 or above that my system compelety crash and restart it self @ that point i knew it it was gpu problem and so i asked in forums for help and that stranger show up with his video says fix in hes video and i read some comment asking who creating that he says china msi or nivida? im not sure but since he have msi laptob , i think it is msi too so i downloaded it and taking risk and after that everything work well, now is not like im not running @ good speed , i still have such power running games im not sure what was that vbios for , but like i said befor i read note and notice it was votlage power going up and when it go up that happen. so after downloading and install i can play with same power without problem , sometimes vbios might have bugs for high votlage or something im not sure. but yea that file just fixed my problem

(edited by Texon.4590)

Leamas.5803

An over voltage makes sense since it would send the PCIe bus in to panic mode. It’s what I always suspected, but could never prove. I couldn’t get GPU-Z or any other system logger to give me anything. The crash was like unplugging the machine, so most loggers didn’t even know the machine went down, much less have time to write anything. Do you remember what, if anything, was in the Windows Event log?

The only consistent thing I ever received after a crash was

_—Windows Event Log Error— (nvlddmkm is the nVidia display driver)

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found.
Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your
local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or
repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had
to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video7
An uncorrectable double bit error (DBE) has been detected on GPU (02 00 00)._

Event ID 14 seemed to be like an ORA-00600 in Oracle. It seems to be the unknown error, unknown cause. While there were lots of people complaining about it, there was never any definitive cause or fix for this on the nVidia/eVGA forums. Even after a clean driver install or fresh Windows install, this would be the error after a crash. The only consistent fix I’ve ever seen is lowering the clock speed. It doesn’t work for everyone, but it’s worked for many.

Other things I noticed that, in those days, with any driver newer than 306.97 GW2 was completely unstable. Driver 310.70, for instance, was completely unusable and GW2 would crash within seconds of the game launching. I was still using 306.97 driver when 35×.xx came out. Eventually I had to upgrade, and find other solutions since other games I wanted to try wouldn’t work on 306.97, namely the ESO Beta. Then driver 356.04 (Maybe it was 358.91…can’t quite remember) came out and seemed to be just as about as stable as 306.97, with only occasional crashes. Other things that made the game more stable, but not perfect, limiting the frame rate to 60fps, antialiasing off, shaders low, post-processing low, v-sync off. Limiting the frame rate was the biggest thing though.

Texon.4590

An over voltage makes sense since it would send the PCIe bus in to panic mode. It’s what I always suspected, but could never prove. I couldn’t get GPU-Z or any other system logger to give me anything. The crash was like unplugging the machine, so most loggers didn’t even know the machine went down, much less have time to write anything. Do you remember what, if anything, was in the Windows Event log?

The only consistent thing I ever received after a crash was

_—Windows Event Log Error— (nvlddmkm is the nVidia display driver)

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found.
Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your
local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or
repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had
to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video7
An uncorrectable double bit error (DBE) has been detected on GPU (02 00 00)._

Event ID 14 seemed to be like an ORA-00600 in Oracle. It seems to be the unknown error, unknown cause. While there were lots of people complaining about it, there was never any definitive cause or fix for this on the nVidia/eVGA forums. Even after a clean driver install or fresh Windows install, this would be the error after a crash. The only consistent fix I’ve ever seen is lowering the clock speed. It doesn’t work for everyone, but it’s worked for many.

Other things I noticed that, in those days, with any driver newer than 306.97 GW2 was completely unstable. Driver 310.70, for instance, was completely unusable and GW2 would crash within seconds of the game launching. I was still using 306.97 driver when 35×.xx came out. Eventually I had to upgrade, and find other solutions since other games I wanted to try wouldn’t work on 306.97, namely the ESO Beta. Then driver 356.04 (Maybe it was 358.91…can’t quite remember) came out and seemed to be just as about as stable as 306.97, with only occasional crashes. Other things that made the game more stable, but not perfect, limiting the frame rate to 60fps, antialiasing off, shaders low, post-processing low, v-sync off. Limiting the frame rate was the biggest thing though.

yes in older drivers i had that problem happen to me , however when i update to version 385.41 driver it stop showing up in event viewer even tho i was crashing-pc restart but nothing like nvd problem show up after. fixing my pc from restart was from apply new vbios which i downloaded after that i fixed both problem.

maybe nvidia start ignore older gpus and just focus on 10 series right now as long as your gpu is 5 years old im not sure if nvidia still support that :p best thing to try it go to pc shop test with new gpu like 1050-1070 or whatever if nothing happen then you need to get new gpu

(edited by Texon.4590)

Leamas.5803

yes in older drivers i had that problem happen to me , however when i update to version 385.41 driver it stop showing up in event viewer even tho i was crashing-pc restart but nothing like nvd problem show up after. fixing my pc from restart was from apply new vbios which i downloaded after that i fixed both problem.

So they didn’t actually fix it, but they suppressed the error? Probably to reduce the volume of complaints. An eventless error will make people think it’s a Microsoft or ANet issue. I find that funny (And I still think ANet is doing something they shouldn’t be). Well, it becomes a question of whether such a VBIOS even exists for that specific card to fix this specific error. Even if it does exist, it could take weeks of arguing with nvidia and eVGA before something shakes out and that’s IF they decide to share it. In the meantime, if it works, down clocking is a quick and easy fix with nVidia Inspector. It literally only takes 2 or 3 minutes to set up the icons then it’s only the time it takes to double-click them to change the clock back and forth.

Texon.4590

So they didn’t actually fix it, but they suppressed the error? Probably to reduce the volume of complaints. An eventless error will make people think it’s a Microsoft or ANet issue. I find that funny (And I still think ANet is doing something they shouldn’t be). Well, it becomes a question of whether such a VBIOS even exists for that specific card to fix this specific error. Even if it does exist, it could take weeks of arguing with nvidia and eVGA before something shakes out and that’s IF they decide to share it. In the meantime, if it works, down clocking is a quick and easy fix with nVidia Inspector. It literally only takes 2 or 3 minutes to set up the icons then it’s only the time it takes to double-click them to change the clock back and forth.

but why that happening in tera online befor too ? xD i can’t say it is arena because i had same problem with tera or any game that run tons of Mhz and votlage per second. so it definitely gpu issue, befor half year or something i didn’t had that issue seems windows or something im not sure, or maybe cus i did format my pc

(edited by Texon.4590)

Leamas.5803

Out of curiosity, what does GPU-Z say your clock speeds are?

Texon.4590

Out of curiosity, what does GPU-Z say your clock speeds are?

normal stats playing around 1442mhz core clock and sometime go to 1645mhz core clock which is the recommanded speed of the gpu under that page https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070-Laptop.169549.0.html im not sure if it can go upper then that but is seems stuck in that 2 for now , 2003.4 memory clock

power usage for the 2
1645.0 = 0.9000v
1442.5 = 0.8000v

fps in high settings around 60+ using fps limit from gw2 without limiter up to 110-120 avg around 70-80 sometimes however i don’t need above 60 so i use limiter .
https://imgur.com/a/wRBLs that my settings

(edited by Texon.4590)

Leamas.5803

Normal. Either way, unfortunately, it seems to be a very specific thing created by some random Chinese dude, who does not appear to work for MSI, for this specific mobile version of the 1070. I wouldn’t hold my breath for similar things for other cards.

The fix, it seems, in the case of the MSI laptop 1070, for your Chinese VBIOS, MSI does not set an upper limit on the GPU boost (Or it’s set too high). This allows the boost frequency to get out of control, upwards of 1800MHz, or even 2000MHz…which, of course causes instability. For eVGA, I expect the upper limit for certain cards is set too high and causes instability on certain hardware combinations, which is why down clocking often helps, but that same card will work fine in one computer and not another. Wonder why it only seems to affect GW2 and Tera though. It has to be something in their code that’s allowing the boost to get out of control. My guess is that they’re lazy, don’t monitor it and rely on the max frequency to keep them in check. Even extremely heavy loads that are potentially damaging, like the Furmark burn-in don’t cause issues. Out of curiosity, I’ll have to look at the settings tonight.

The big thing that would concern me with this Chinese VBIOS is if it’s such a minor fix, why hasn’t MSI picked it up and put it in to their official VBIOS release? In other words, what else is it affecting?

Texon.4590

Normal. Either way, unfortunately, it seems to be a very specific thing created by some random Chinese dude, who does not appear to work for MSI, for this specific mobile version of the 1070. I wouldn’t hold my breath for similar things for other cards.

The fix, it seems, in the case of the MSI laptop 1070, for your Chinese VBIOS, MSI does not set an upper limit on the GPU boost (Or it’s set too high). This allows the boost frequency to get out of control, upwards of 1800MHz, or even 2000MHz…which, of course causes instability. For eVGA, I expect the upper limit for certain cards is set too high and causes instability on certain hardware combinations, which is why down clocking often helps, but that same card will work fine in one computer and not another. Wonder why it only seems to affect GW2 and Tera though. It has to be something in their code that’s allowing the boost to get out of control. My guess is that they’re lazy, don’t monitor it and rely on the max frequency to keep them in check. Even extremely heavy loads that are potentially damaging, like the Furmark burn-in don’t cause issues. Out of curiosity, I’ll have to look at the settings tonight.

The big thing that would concern me with this Chinese VBIOS is if it’s such a minor fix, why hasn’t MSI picked it up and put it in to their official VBIOS release? In other words, what else is it affecting?

maybe that chinese guy is actually working in msi since msi is global and have many offices on many countrys , the thing i notice and like i said befor for you that the limit was out of control of mhz and which cause more votlage usage in gpu which cause stop in the gpu it self and then screen freeze and then show u whatever that pixles crap or the rainbow color screen. and yea it weird too sometimes when i just happen in some games but im glad im fixed mine and looking forwad to fix yours , either ways you need new gpu tho ah i think i been using 670 too befor or something i used many versions of gpus every 2-3 years i change