Continous Out of Memory crash at World events

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Wielder Of Magic.3950

Wielder Of Magic.3950

This is not even funny anymore.
Ever since the scarlet patch that removed culling I crash during world events.
With culling settings to highest I crash during the first world event I do, if I set it to high I live through 3 world events before FPS goes to hell and I crash.
Sometimes even getting the crash after a few hours of play and simply walking around.
What the hell is going on here?
The game claims it’s an out of memory crash….
seriously?
My amount of RAM should blow this game out of the water.

system specs:
processor: i7 2600 quadcore @ 3.4 Ghz not overclocked.
GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 590 3 GB
RAM: 16 GB

Attachments:

(edited by Wielder Of Magic.3950)

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Just so you don’t go mad trying to fix this, this error has plagued the game since launch, just search these forums for out of memory error, it seems to be a restriction on the 32bit client, and possible memory leak issues, and when it hits that magical 3.2gb ram number it will crash the game,

Others have noticed this by having the task manager active while in game and watching the game request more and more ram such as a memory leak would do, it also appears it will happen the more intense the GFX get, I used to get it when changing zones etc,

Sorry this is not a fix, because there doesn’t seem to be one, the game client needs massive massive optimisation and that can only come from Anet, and so far they have ignored every single post on the tech forums to do with this error,

The only thing that seems to stem it ( not stop it completely ) is to slightly turn down your GFX settings, which I know is frustrating as hell, given you have a system way more powerful than needed to run this game.

Wielder Of Magic.3950

Thank you for your answer.
I indeed find it to be very frustrating that I have to turn down my graphical settings due to bad optimalisation.
Especially because I have opened a support ticket about this, and the person assisting me got extremely annoyed when I suggested it might have something to do with the code of GW2 because I double checked every hardware part in my machine ( both myself and the computer store that built the rig ) and did not install any new software for months.

Do you by any chance have some suggestions as to what settings I should tone down?
I run everything at Ultra/highest, so pretty much every option can be toned down.

Posted by: Espionage.3685

Espionage.3685

I played last night at highest settings (no FXAA). That includes Highest character drawing (or whatever it’s called) and nameplates. I also played at 5040×900 via Eyefinity. Played for 5 hours straight, and even did a SB event about 4 hours in, no crash at all.

Should also note I’ve never had an out-of-memory crash in the past either. I have 8GB of RAM and Windows 8.1. I’m leaning more towards this problem being system/hardware-specific, and not GW2 itself…

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

“Just so you don’t go mad trying to fix this, this error has plagued the game since launch, just search these forums for out of memory error, it seems to be a restriction on the 32bit client, and possible memory leak issues, and when it hits that magical 3.2gb ram number it will crash the game.”

A 32 bit OS has a limitation of about 3.25 gig of usable memory. The OP has a 64 bit OS.

A 32 bit application running on a 64 bit OS can use up to 4 gig of RAM.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

@abomally, When someone posts a crash log from the out or memory crash, it shows that when the client requests more than 3.2gb ram it crashes,

@Espionage, grats, but that doesn’t really help the hundreds and hundreds of players that are getting the out or memory crash, sure it could be everyones hardware given the 100’s of different setups you could always say that, but as the crash logs all point to a memory error, its more likely its a problem in the client,

Since turning down the settings a little, I have not gotten the out of memory error myself, but the fact that my system is way above and beyond the specs needed for this game, I shouldn’t have had to do it.

Fact is, if it was hardware related, anet would have replied to one of the many hundreds of topics on this stating that, the fact they have avoided everyone tells you that its something else.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Looking at the OPs specs, I don’t see where he SPECIFIED that his Windows 7 is x64. If he is in fact running a 32bit OS on 64bit HW that could possibly explain his crash.

The number of people reporting this type of crash vs those that have NEVER had a memory issue (myself included) does NOT indicate a software memory leak (that would be consistent across ALL GW2 players) but a common hardware /software conflict / driver issue with this small number of players. It is not logical to assume that this is a GW2 problem when the majority of users have never had any type of “out of memory” crash.

Posting that it is a KNOWN problem with GW2 is just misinformation and not helpful in solving the REAL issue that is causing the problem. Not saying it is impossible it is a GW2 issue, but current evidence does not support that it is.

Fact is, if it was hardware related, anet would have replied to one of the many hundreds of topics on this stating that, the fact they have avoided everyone tells you that its something else.

If the solution is not known, why would they reply? I have not seen a single instance of anyone reporting these problems provide information on what was the result of a support ticket, so I have no idea what ANet’s official stance on this issue is, but not replying in these forums proves nothing (and certainly does not indicate they KNOW there is a memory leak and are trying to cover it up). If they were trying to cover something up, wouldn’t deleting these threads be more appropriate?

Your ability to ignore the facts (like thousands of players NEVER seeing these errors) and jump to some wild conspiracy theory that ANet is trying to hide some insidious memory leak makes all your comments suspect.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Wielder Of Magic.3950

I am indeed running on Windows 7 64 bit.
I did not mention it because it seemed pretty obvious to me.
Why would I have 16 GB of RAM if I would not have a 64 bit OS to make use of it?
Furthermore, if you would have looked in the error log I attached, you would have seen it specifies my OS as 64 bit on one of the first lines of text.
But perhaps some people are not as knowledgeable technically, so my apologies if I was unclear.

I can assure you that all of my hardware is in perfect condition.
Not only did I test all hardware myself ( memtest and benchmarks like 3Dmark, Prime, Heaven etc. Memtest found no errors, and all benchmarks ran without problems for over 24 hours straight), I also sent the whole system to the computer store that built it and made them look at every part.
No issues were found.
The crash is also only during Guild Wars 2, and not in any other game whatsoever, no matter how long I play it ( All maxed. Think games like The Witcher 2 with übersampling, Tomb Raider 2013, Battlefield 3, Skyrim with a gazillion graphic-enchancing mods).

(edited by Wielder Of Magic.3950)