Crashes in congested areas (SOLVED) (Re-Open)

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Falkor.2410

Falkor.2410

While I’d love a solution, I’m mostly just posting to help the devs get some insight to the challenges I’ve had with the Mac client.

First, system specs:

Processor: 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB
Software: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

The problem I’ve had is application crashing when I am in congested areas such as Lion’s Arch or WvW or any other place where a bunch of people are coming together. I don’t have to be doing anything, just in the area.

Also, I found it interesting that I have not crashed in a 5 man.

Interestingly, I’ve also found a ‘solution’. Although not exactly what I’m looking for. By installing Parallels and running a Windows virtual machine with the Windows client I’m able to maintain stability. I’ve dedicated 4 CPU cores 8 GB RAM and 1 GB video memory. While running the Windows client in this configuration everything is stable. I do experience more ‘lag’ in the congested areas of the game but have not crashed once.

I’m open to suggestions on how to stabilize GW2’s Mac client.

Posted by: Enektric.4527

Enektric.4527

Same issues for me. most of the crashes are in WvW and while accessing the map.
The map also tends to lagg very hard having a delay of 5s. while the rest of the game runs at a smooth 60fps.

specs 27" Imac medio 2011

3,4GHz I7
12GB 1333MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB
OSX 10.8.2(12C60)

I did not have these issues before the wintersday patch.

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing.

Falkor.2410

I believe I found a solution (kind of crazy it’s so easy but took so long to find).

If I open package contents to the GW2 application and drill down to the config file.

Contents> Resources> Preferences> Config

Then in the section [x11drv] there is a line:

“VideoRam” = “256”

I changed this line to:

“VideoRam” = “2048”

Since that is accurate for my system. Since then I can play WvW and even did Jormag without even any lag. Very excited about this, hope it helps others stabilize their Mac gaming experience.

Posted by: Enektric.4527

Enektric.4527

Thank you!, you just saved my whole wvw experience!

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing.

Posted by: Deimos.6493

Deimos.6493

I believe I found a solution (kind of crazy it’s so easy but took so long to find).

If I open package contents to the GW2 application and drill down to the config file.

Contents> Resources> Preferences> Config

Then in the section [x11drv] there is a line:

“VideoRam” = “256”

I changed this line to:

“VideoRam” = “2048”

Since that is accurate for my system. Since then I can play WvW and even did Jormag without even any lag. Very excited about this, hope it helps others stabilize their Mac gaming experience.

I am very positive that config file inside Guild Wars 2.app is used only the first time you launch the game after installation or if you remove your user config file. The actual config file that is used located in your user folder > Library > Application Support > Guild Wars 2
So that is strange you had a difference after changing it.

Posted by: Shellac.2937

Shellac.2937

I am very positive that config file inside Guild Wars 2.app is used only the first time you launch the game after installation or if you remove your user config file. The actual config file that is used located in your user folder > Library > Application Support > Guild Wars 2
So that is strange you had a difference after changing it.

I think he’s having the same issue as me. I don’t have a Guild Wars 2 folder in Application Support, so we are using the default one every time we start the game.

Thank you so much for finding this!

Posted by: RobinInSeoul.4150

RobinInSeoul.4150

This didn’t work for me, but setting the Frame Limiter to 60 seems to have worked. Got this advice from support.

“Always be yourself . . . unless you suck.”

Falkor.2410

Interestingly, I have had no issues at all until the patch on 1/28/2013. Now I’m back at square one. Any tips would be great.