Crashing very, very often!

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Jurica.1742

Jurica.1742

Hey devs of GW2. I’ve noticed that GW is crashing A LOT (12 times today so far) lately. It’s not my PC, I’m 100% sure. I can run GW2 at max graphics + have music playing in the background with zero lag, twitching ect, everything running smoothly. I still play at lower graphics just in case and don’t have anything else running in the background. I can run various other games at max graphics with smooth operation. Def. not my PC. I don’t know why but it just likes to crash when Behe is done or getting killed. I don’t think it’s the player count since I do other world bosses which I’m pretty sure have more or the same amount of players. Crashed 8 times in a row (past 8 days) just as Behe was killed or at like mid HP. It’s still crashing often no matter whatever I’m doing. I’m curious to find out why is it crashing so much? Anything I can do to help keep GW from crashing? I appreciate any help. I don’t know if this means much but when it crashes the following happens: It freezes for like half a second and then it says “GW has crashed unexpectedly” or sometimes it completely freezes so I have to start task manager to shut it down. Thank You in advance. Have a great day, cheers!

Pineapples rule

(edited by Jurica.1742)

Posted by: Vashoom.8512

Vashoom.8512

If you are on Windows XP, you will learn like I did, gw2 does NOT support XP properly.

I am forced against my will to use windows7 to play GW2 as on xp it crashes garaunteed every 20 minutes or less, whenever I do anything like changing zones, during combat randomly, whatever… its crazy that they say it supports xp and yet clearly not tested properly. (intel core i7 950, nvidia gtx-570) (been like this since beta, and still today it’s like this on xp tested recently with the latest drivers)

I understand winxp is coming to end-of-life for support (by microsoft) in april 2014, but even still, by not supporting older operating systems fully you are forcing people to pay for newer version of windows.

Progress blocking bugs are top priority, but not all bugs are so easy to fix as others, be cool :)

(edited by Vashoom.8512)

Jurica.1742

I’m on Win7.. Soon will be transfering to 8.1. Cheers!

Pineapples rule

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Hi, Jurica.
Can I ask what your in-game audio settings are set to?
Have you also tried altering these audio settings to see if the crashing persists?

• Sound Quality
  • Music Interval
  • Mixing Buffer Size

Also, what is your sound device in your computer?
Is it integrated on the motherboard or are you using an added, dedicated sound card?

• If using a dedicated sound card, do you still have the integrated sound device enabled or is it disabled (hardware manager, BIOS, etc)?
    • If both enabled, do you have your audio software configured to send audio to both the integrated and dedicated sound devices simultaneously?

You may also want to check for new drivers or reinstall existing drivers for all related sound devices on your computer.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: seekerking.2875

seekerking.2875

Can you post your system specifications e.g. graphics card, processor, etc?

Try running the game in windows mode if you have not already. Certain games, I have experienced, crash when there is a sudden CPU usage jump from 0 to 100%, which, although my card and certainly your video graphics card should be able to handle, does not reallocate memory properly and causes the process to crash. Running in windows mode, for some reason, alleviates this issue.

I am running on a 6 year old machine and I have never had gw crash on me yet. I also play on an underpowered laptop that has family integrated graphics (the worst kind for gaming) and have never experienced crashing.

Hope this helps!

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I’ve been stable since I set animations to “low.”

Other than that, I
1) turned off camera shake
2) low shadows
3) no post processing
everything else on top setting (ultra environment LOD, all reflections, etc)

Jurica.1742

I don’t use in-game sound. I disabled everything in the sound part. master volume all the way down, all the quality to lowest as I don’t ever use the game sound. I usually plug my phone in my PC and listen to music from my phone while doing anything on the PC, unless if I go watch some videos. I’m not sure on my PC’s specs. It was a gift to me from my dad who had a friend of his who is a teacher in the class where you learn about computers (not sure what it’s called on english, not my native language) for high end gaming. I’m more of a software than a hardware guy (I script in C++ as a hobby and will learn Javascript when I get to college.). I have a 4 or 6 (I think 4) core processor. I know that doesn’t mean much since processors with less cores can do a better job than 4 core processors, but I know it’s a very powerful PC as soon as it can run some of the newer games on the market at max graphics with no issues. I believe GTA IV is a much more demanding game to process than GW2 lets say. Cheers.

Pineapples rule

(edited by Jurica.1742)

Posted by: Xystus.3241

Xystus.3241

Have you been able to get a crash log?

Xyssi – Asura Guardian
Xystus Furtim – Human Theif
Server: Stormbluff Ilse

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I assume you still use 32-bit Windows. Upgrade to 64-bit and the problem is solved.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Jurica.1742

Yeah.. I’m using x86 Windows.. Why would that be the issue? As far as I’m aware x86 is better for gaming than x64? I haven’t been online today so I haven’t but I get crash logs often, but I don’t really send them out or look at them.. Cheers!

Pineapples rule

Xystus.3241

Yeah.. I’m using x86 Windows.. Why would that be the issue? As far as I’m aware x86 is better for gaming than x64? I haven’t been online today so I haven’t but I get crash logs often, but I don’t really send them out or look at them.. Cheers!

I would say the exact opposite. Windows 32-bit can only address about ~3.5GB of ram. Which once you take the system overhead in account, you maybe stuck with closer to ~3GB usable. if your system has 4+GB of memory, you’re not even using it.

If you could attach the GW2 crash log,it may help pinpoint the issue.

Xyssi – Asura Guardian

Vashoom.8512

I would like to see the logs for my xp machine, where can I find the crash log files?

I see Crash.dmp but this is empty, and my game surely has crashed many times in the past.

Progress blocking bugs are top priority, but not all bugs are so easy to fix as others, be cool :)

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

In your ‘Documents/Guild Wars 2’ folder is a file called ArenaNet.log
This file will contain crash information.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Jurica.1742

OK. I didn’t know that. You learn something new every day I just checked and my PC has got 4GB of RAM which isn’t that great but meh. My bro picked up a virus while downloading Microsoft Office off a torrent (My bro as in me lol.) and I have to re-install windows now. I’m going for x64 this time. I checked in the CP under “Performance Information and Tools” for my PC ratings..

Processor AMD Athlon™ X4 740 Quad Core Processor 7,2
Memory (RAM) 4,00 GB 7,2
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 6,7
Gaming graphics 3313 MB Total available graphics memory 6,7
Primary hard disk 390GB Free (477GB Total) 5,9

I hope GW will run better and crash less once I upgrade to x64. Thanks guys, have a great day, cheers!

Pineapples rule

Xystus.3241

Jurica,

You probably won’t notice a performance difference, but your process should have more memory available to it; which should result in less out of memory errors.

If you are still getting OOM errors, post your ArenaNet.log file and we can help you further.

Xyssi – Asura Guardian

Vashoom.8512

Since the latest update now MY game on windows7 is crashing quite often, usually when in lions arch.
the last “crash” says it happened on 3rd sep, which clearly is not true.

this at the end of the log file:

—> Error Logs <—
VerifyAccess failed or denied access with 0×80070716 – 1
Disk write failed with error 112 (incomplete): file ‘C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\gw2cache-{0400A8C1-F5D8-1781-C2A8-0004D8F58117}\awesomium.dll’
Disk write failed (112): file ‘C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\gw2cache-{0400A8C1-F5D8-1781-C2A8-0004D8F58117}\awesomium.dll’

I have 6gb ram (win7 64bit), with 3.5gb physical available ram, that should be more than enough for gw2, surely?

I clear my temp folders regularly, so it’s not a temporary files error, and there is sufficient disk space on c:\

Anybody know what could be causing the problem?

(edited by Vashoom.8512)

Xystus.3241

Vashoom.8512,

Here is the error: “Disk write failed with error 112”
Make sure you are running the game as administrator privileges.
Also, I would recommend not using as the administrator account.

If you continue to have these errors, you may want to perform a disk check, as you may have a failing hard drive.

Xyssi – Asura Guardian

Vashoom.8512

thanks for the info, I hope not, this is a brand new OCZ SSD! but I’ll do some checkdisk scans.

What is odd, when in lions arch with “best performance” graphics setting’s it’s fine, when I change it to “auto detect” then close the window, it crashes, on demand every time. Also I noticed since the last update sometimes the framerate in lions arch (like in some areas of black citadel, like it’s been since launch) the framerate drops to unplayable speeds, like barely even 1fps, when I move to a different area of lions arch (or same in black citadel) it returns to normal 30-60 fps.

In all other cities or zones there is no problem at all, I can only conclude it is some new “content” they have added into lions arch causing this conflict.. I’m using an nvidia gtx570

Xystus.3241

Maybe just corrupted files then. You can go in to the temp folder and just delete everything there. It gets re-created anyway.

Could you post your entire crash log; after a crash caused by the auto detect/close window?

Xyssi – Asura Guardian

Vashoom.8512

this time I changed graphics settings from the character select sccreen, then logged in to my ranger in lions arch, crash again..
so then I logged into my elementalist sitting in bloodtide coast at auto detect (mostly full) settings, works fine, zoned into lions arch, no problems..
logged out and back into my ranger, no more crashing… odd huh?

as for the black citadel FPS leak, I can tell you exactly where it happens every time without fail, set your graphics settings to full or high, go to heroes waypoint, walk into the main building with the spiral staircase (imperator’s core), mostly anywhere near the red door directly to your right as you enter (used a lot for charr storyline quests).

though it never causes crashing, just bad framerate, poor map design I think as it happens on both winxp 32bit and win7 64bit with drivers a year ago updated every few months up to today, still happening, so I doubt it’s caused by outdated drivers, I guess the dev’s/testers don’t use a GTX-570 card, strange as they are/were quite popular.

Jurica.1742

Hey. I re-installed x64 now and after ~10h of trying to find the correct drivers for my PC, tracking down which graphic card I have and installing that, I finally am done.. It doesn’t say which graphic card I have.. I even took it out of the housing and it still for some reason didn’t say what I had.. All it said was Gigatech. Went on their site and looked at all the graphic cards they have. Went throught each and every one of them until I found the one I had.. Huge PITA.. I’m now downloading GW2 and will post here how things are going once I get it all done.

Pineapples rule

Xystus.3241

Jurica,

If it is an nVidia chipset; you can goto nvidia.com and do an autodetect for make/model.

Xyssi – Asura Guardian

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

An easier way to determine what a hardware device (specific brand and model) is, is just to look up the device ID, which will be in the properties of the “unknown” device:

http://www.pcidatabase.com/