Did load times increased?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Kokomi.7183

Kokomi.7183

Is it just me or did load times increased drastically? I have GW2 on an SSD and my PC have not changed at all from before the issues to now. I also benchmarked my SSD to make sure it wasn’t slowing down, but everything seems fine on my end so what gives?

It’s annoying cause I’m sacrificing precious space on my small capacity SSD and I’m getting awful HDD-like load times. Sometimes I load into zones and the textures hasn’t even loaded yet…….this wasn’t happening a couple patches ago I just can’t pinpoint at what point it started exactly.

EDIT: So apparently reinstalling the game fixed the issue, still don’t know why, but oh well at least it’s fixed.

(edited by Kokomi.7183)

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

I haven’t noticed any increased loading times. it usually takes my game between 5-10 seconds to load, sometimes 30 (in LA only), and it hasn’t changed. I don’t have missing textures when I load either, and I don’t have an ssd.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

OP, you should list your system completely so anyone can rule out obvious issues

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9158/new-samsung-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-fix-coming-later-this-month

here is an example of a piece of kitten ssd

Kokomi.7183

I completely forgot I made this thread. I honestly don’t think my PC is the problem as the issues seems to only occur with GW2, but eitherway my specs are as follow:

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1607)
Intel i7-4800MQ @2.7Ghz
16GB RAM
GTX 880m
1TB 7200 RPM HDD
250GB 850 EVO SSD

Posted by: HaraldSkambank.7531

HaraldSkambank.7531

Running the game off a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO and everything is as fast as always here. I’m on a desktop computer though, not lappy. Even though that probably should not matter.

loseridoit.2756

Running the game off a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO and everything is as fast as always here. I’m on a desktop computer though, not lappy. Even though that probably should not matter.

i am just here to rule out obvious problems.

850 evo has a much larger feature size than 840 evo. So, the problem should not happen

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

You can use commandline -maploadinfo to follow up info on your load times. Depending on the pc i use, i saw also a higher loading time which started a few months ago.

Posted by: HaraldSkambank.7531

HaraldSkambank.7531

850 evo has a much larger feature size than 840 evo. So, the problem should not happen

Ok, but OP has an 850 like I do. Not sure if I am misunderstanding you here tho, and you mean the SSD is not the cause of his slow loading times.

loseridoit.2756

Ok, but OP has an 850 like I do. Not sure if I am misunderstanding you here tho, and you mean the SSD is not the cause of his slow loading times.

yes his ssd is not the issue

SSD like other chip have feature size

840/evo have a feature size of 19nm tlc

850/evo have a feature size of 40 nm tlc

Although this image is does not exactly compare the 840 to 850 size. It should give you a rough idea on why 840 have issues with bits interfering each other. SSD are kinda like batteries, the bigger they are, the better they are at holding a charge.

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8216/cell%20size%20actual.png

tl:dr 840/evo have too many bits in a small space. 850 is just much bigger overall.

Kokomi.7183

Ty all for the info, I still haven’t managed to fix the issues so I will try to reinstall the game instead and see if it helps. Also, ty for the commandline @RedZebra, will come in handy.