Disconnecting during story mission

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Ungodly.1394

Ungodly.1394

Hello, to keep this simple, I’m a returning player who has been super excited to get time to play HoT. Upon coming back into the game about two weeks ago, I fairly consistently get disconnected during story missions (any of them, not just a particular one). This is EXTREMELY frustrating. Is there anything I can do to help alleviate this issue?

I don’t currently have a ton of time to play so losing 30 mins here and there because of a quick disconnect from the game and having to start a mission over is very off putting.

I only disconnect from this game. No other game does this. When I lose connection I am still connected to voice chat programs and anything else using the internet connection.

I have a 300+ MPBS connection (usually reads around ~350) so there shouldn’t be any issue running this game’s data.

Can anyone tell me what is up or how I might fix this? It’s insanely frustrating. Thanks.

Posted by: Nichivo.5046

Nichivo.5046

There are more threads on this not yet merged into the ongoing 7 11 thread. 2 plus years and many people still have this issue.

If you do find a resolution let me know. I just avoid the story lines even though I really want to repeat them on all characters. Only part of the game I have issues with, If I dc you can bet I was in a storly line cause I never dc otherwise.

Posted by: Saxie.7654

Saxie.7654

You know I just got back into the game, and this is reaaaaaaaaaaally hurting any desire to play the story line at all.

*note – sure its an ‘old’ topic. This very issue has been here for the last 2 years.

Posted by: Sen.3785

Sen.3785

Still an issue, just came back to the game after a year away and this is still the bane of my existence. Disconnecting in story modes… never happens any other time. The story is good, so good, but not try do the same instance 3x in a row good.

Any fixes found? Some how i doubt it.

Posted by: Amaranthe.3578

Amaranthe.3578

Same thing.
dced multiple times during story missions,said kitten it and left.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If you rarely/never disconnect and have only been doing so in the story, try using:

Gw2.exe -clientport 443

Alternatively, use a VPN.

Posted by: Wyldefyre.6897

Wyldefyre.6897

You are going to have to explain and justify a port setting just for story mode cut scenes. Sounds like epically bad programming.

Healix.5819

You are going to have to explain and justify a port setting just for story mode cut scenes.

There have been cases where some routers/firewalls will block certain packets related to GW2, which can cause a black screen or a disconnection. The black screen problem at least is likely a bug, or a security measure. In other cases, throttling is likely the cause, where your ISP monitors your connection like an anti-virus monitors your files, and in the same way, false positives are a problem. When a certain pattern is detected, they’ll limit your connection, resulting in high packet loss which leads to a disconnection.

Using port 80 (web traffic) or 443 (encrypted web traffic) simply makes it less likely to run into problems as web traffic may be handled differently. Using a VPN to actually encrypt the connection is the next step.

Posted by: Wyldefyre.6897

Wyldefyre.6897

Healix,

Interesting reply. Can you explain why a cut scene would require or trigger some kind of change in traffic flow that any router/firewall would notice? Can you explain why only the cut scenes from story lines are affected? I have not experienced any connection issues or performance issues except the cut scenes in story instances. This leads me to believe it is an issue in the games implementation of cut scene content.

Healix.5819

Can you explain why a cut scene would require or trigger some kind of change in traffic flow that any router/firewall would notice? Can you explain why only the cut scenes from story lines are affected?

Throttling can come in various forms, but what I was referring to was pattern matching. It’s where they’re monitoring your connecting, trying to recognize what’s coming in and out. It’s like how the forums replace words with kitten, like isn’t_it, because it’s simple pattern matching.

When GW2 plays a cutscene, the server sends a message to the client telling it to play it, then the client tells the server when it’s finished. If that message is recognized as torrent traffic for example, your connection on that port will begin dropping packets as throttling kicks in. When the scene finishes and the client updates, the connection is likely already lost.

I’ve had this problem several years ago in another MMO, where throttling kicked in after I entered a PvP match. In my case however, I had to change IPs to fix it.

This leads me to believe it is an issue in the games implementation of cut scene content.

The problem could be with the game itself. Since changing ports seems to work however, the problem area would be limited to that difference. Since changing ports would likely be a simple number change however, it’s unlikely.

Posted by: KrazyKhris.3195

KrazyKhris.3195

I don’t suppose you could explain how to set these fixes up to someone who hasn’t got a clue about any of this could you?

Healix.5819

I don’t suppose you could explain how to set these fixes up to someone who hasn’t got a clue about any of this could you?

Right click your GW2 shortcut and select properties. Under the shortcut tab, you should see a target field with the path to Gw2.exe/Gw2-64.exe. At the end of the target, add (80 or 443):

"C:\example\Gw2.exe" -clientport 80

If you do not have a shortcut, locate Gw2.exe, right click it and select create shortcut or send to > desktop (create shortcut).

Posted by: Skilly.7261

Skilly.7261

I guess nobody cares anymore…
YES, IT IS FRUSTRATING TO DO EVERYTHING AT LEAST TWICE!!
And the disconnect happens only at the end of a LONG story.

wow.. i even payed for living season 2 to experience this .

Can we please have an official reply?

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

You absolutely can, and it is very simple to obtain: file a support ticket via the “Submit a Ticket” link at https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us

You will receive an immediate automated confirmation that your issue has been seen by the system, and then a direct, personal response from anet support within 72 hours.

The forums are mostly for player to player support, where we might be able to help you out faster because we know some of the common causes.

PS: the reason I recommend https://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network to people here is because that is basically a longer, friendlier version of the first debugging step the support team will ask you for in that ticket, so it saves time to start there, but … if you want anet to tell you that, rather than another player, just file the ticket.

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

You absolutely can, and it is very simple to obtain: file a support ticket via the “Submit a Ticket” link at https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us

You will receive an immediate automated confirmation that your issue has been seen by the system, and then a direct, personal response from anet support within 72 hours.

The forums are mostly for player to player support, where we might be able to help you out faster because we know some of the common causes.

PS: the reason I recommend https://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network to people here is because that is basically a longer, friendlier version of the first debugging step the support team will ask you for in that ticket, so it saves time to start there, but … if you want anet to tell you that, rather than another player, just file the ticket.

Actually, it seems like it’s about timing. The last 2 days or so we started having some connectivity issues and they were trying to find the cause of it. So it’s kind of a bad luck situation since the problem is fairly new.