Do you want this program to make changes?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I play on Windows 7, and I’m tired of getting the prompt asking me if I want to launch GW2. Is it possible to always have access allowed for GW2?

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Maybe. The UAC is intended to prevent malware from gaining access to your system without your protection. Bypassing it may add the risk of infecting your PC. You adjust the settings on your computer at your own risk.

However, some rooting around on the ’net has brought this:

I use “C:\Tools\” myself.

Add this folder (or subfolders, if you’re going to go that route) to the % PATH% environment variable: “Start” -> “Computer”, right-click on “Properties”, go to “Advanced System Settings”, and “Environment Variables” is the fourth and last button.

Save the new % PATH%.

Either reboot, or restart Explorer. But if the app is going to be called from a script, you needn’t bother, since new instances of cmd.exe will take the new PATH.

Done.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

I have GW2 pinned to my task bar and it never brings up any prompts for me? I’m on Windows 7 64-bit.

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

Move the GW2 executable, tmp and dat files out of Program files and in a folder of their own on the root of C:\ (C:\GW2 for example)

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

Move folder to new location outside of Program Files or you can change the folder permissions.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Windows 7 has several different admin levels. Logging in as admin only means you’re allowed to accept admin changes. These setting can be tweaked. Any of the following works to a degree, make a combination that works best for you:

1/ Make a folder c:\Guild Wars 2\. This is not as secure as the program files folder.

2/ Start > User icon (above your user name) > User Account Control > put the slider to the lowest setting > reboot PC

3/ Right click Guild Wars shortcut > Properties > Compatibility > Run as Administrator

4/ Right click shortcut > Run as administrator

Option 1+4 is usually enough. Option 2 is hitting the problem with a sledgehammer and making an inherently insecure system more insecure, although I really recommend doing it when your PC is not critical (which means does not contain multi-million projects for your job).
Option 3 is also OK but the admin level you give is not the same as option 1+4 (I know….) because shortcuts can be hijacked and admin shortcuts are a target.

In any case, if you make your PC more insecure, be sure to up the security on your GW2 account by adding two factor authentication!

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto