Does it look like I bought gold ?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Jade.3046

Jade.3046

My boyfriend started playing GW2 about a month ago, and since he made a lot of gold really fast, he decided to give me 100 gold as a gift via an in-game e-mail.
I am worried that if I accept the money, it will look like I bought this gold and my account will be banned.

Has anyone else encountered such a situation ? Any idea what I should do ? The e-mail with the gold does say something like “For my sweetheart, go buy yourself something nice ^_-” but I am not sure it is proof enough that it was a gift…

Thanks.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There is no problem with receiving gifts from friends in-game. Unless, of course, the method your boyfriend used to ‘make Gold really fast’ is against the ToS. Should something untoward happen, you can contact the CS Team and discuss the issue with them to straighten any misunderstandings out, should that be the case.

Good luck.

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Does he have weird character names? Does he idle a lot and spam the mapchat with “selling gold” ads? Or is he just playing normally, maybe even from the same IP as yours sometimes, and just happens to send you 100 gold once?

I wouldn’t worry too much. I sent my brother some gold to get started (probably around 50… 60 gold in total?), and nothing happened. Other people give away legendaries or precursors and don’t get banned.

I’d say for someone suspecting you of buying gold, you’d need to get a large amount from an account that’s clearly not a real player, and that account would have to give away massive amounts to all kinds of people on different servers, without any kind of visible connection like guild or friendslist or same IP address.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

“My boyfriend started playing GW2 about a month ago, and since he made a lot of gold really fast…”

That alone sounds suspicious, but you shouldn’t have a problem if he sends you 100 gold. I’d be curious as to how he “made a lot of gold really fast.”

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Doesn’t have to be suspicious. If he speedleveled and then farmed Silverwastes, for example, he probably has more gold than I do after two and a half years of playing. Might be he got a lucky drop or two. Or he does daily dungeons and then some. Or he played the trading post. Not the most fun things to do in your first month in the game, but if “get lots of gold” is your goal, then go ahead.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: WizardLizard.9348

WizardLizard.9348

I am the boyfriend in question and to clear things up :

1) I contacted the support before gifting that amount to be sure I wasn’t going against the ToS. I was told there were no problem at all.

2) I’ve played about 150h within the past 5 weeks (have a lot of free time recently) so I had plenty of time to understand how to “farm” gold in GW2.

3) @Abomally : about 10 days to reach 80 (quite easy with events/exploration/tome of knowledge from reward). Then daily all the world boss from the map explored and I got 1 lucky drop (skin sold for ~60g from black lion ticket). Killing all the world boss give up to 10 gold daily so it’s quite easy to farm more than 100g within a month

(edited by WizardLizard.9348)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If the CS Team already gave assurances that this was not a problem, I am confused about the purpose of this thread. Forum-goers certainly don’t have information that would be more official than the CS Team itself.

Regardless, if you have the ‘go-ahead’ from the CS Team, there is nothing of which to be concerned.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

Posted by: WizardLizard.9348

WizardLizard.9348

@Inculpatus cedo She didn’t have this information at the moment she made the thread and didn’t think I contacted the CS team before doing so. I think it’s safe to assume that this case is closed.

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

I am the boyfriend in question and to clear things up :

1) I contacted the support before gifting that amount to be sure I wasn’t going against the ToS. I was told there were no problem at all.

2) I’ve played about 150h within the past 5 weeks (have a lot of free time recently) so I had plenty of time to understand how to “farm” gold in GW2.

3) @Abomally : about 10 days to reach 80 (quite easy with events/exploration/tome of knowledge from reward). Then daily all the world boss from the map explored and I got 1 lucky drop (skin sold for ~60g from black lion ticket). Killing all the world boss give up to 10 gold daily so it’s quite easy to farm more than 100g within a month

OK, I was just curious. I thought maybe gold buying was involved, but clearly it isn’t. My apologies to you.

Posted by: Dire Rut.6439

Dire Rut.6439

There was a forum post similar to this, and a dev replied saying that if the sender wrote something in the mail(ie Hi Honey!, etc), they tend to think of it as a legit gift (and not you buying gold). My bf/friends sent me a few hundred gold/precursors for my legendary and never had a problem. Hopefully nothing goes wrong for you!