Download Client stalls and doesn't install

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: JazzyBelle.9832

JazzyBelle.9832

Is anyone else having issues installing the new download today? I have tried for 3 hours and rebooted my computer more times than I can count.

I re-installed, didn’t work.
I ran 2 different anti-virus programs
I ran 2 different anti-spam programs

I am frustrated and don’t know what to do with the launcher.
Thank you

Posted by: Lord Of Cups.6713

Lord Of Cups.6713

Same problem. Won’t let me download. Winds down to Zero and then stops. I tried everything.

Posted by: apernesky.8729

apernesky.8729

I am running into same issues… re booted… made sure i was not VPN into work.. .not sure what to try next… i will put IT on this in AM

Posted by: BillDoor.8923

BillDoor.8923

Same problem, it will download a few MB before stoping. if i start it over it will get a few more mb but that is it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Some people have had success with downloading by changing the language of the client. You can give it a try, it can’t hurt. Then, change the language back, after the install completes. Good luck.

Also, in the future, this would not be an Account Issue, but more suited to Tech Support. =)

Posted by: StoneWallJackson.1074

StoneWallJackson.1074

Same issue here. God this is frustrating. tried completely reinstalling and im stuck at like 30 kb/sec…

Posted by: StoneWallJackson.1074

StoneWallJackson.1074

Same issue here. God this is frustrating. tried completely reinstalling and im stuck at like 30 kb/sec…

I also saw another post mention that they had Fios. I also have fios, anyone else with Verizon?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Background: FIOS has been presenting issues with GW2 for a little over a week now. After collecting a decent amount of data we feel this is going to be a DNS issue on Verizon’s side as players connections are not resolving when hitting the server while on FIOS but can usually resolve when using GoogleDNS or Host file edits.

Suggestion: We suggest that players contact FIOS for help. We have sent an e-mail to FIOS already and we have contacted Verizon but at this time we are still awaiting their responses.

This could be a case where your individual contacts help us resolve this for everyone so if you do contact and care to update this thread, that could be helpful.

Thank you for understanding and we wish we could help more directly!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

A work-around suggestion from our Server Team:
Set your DNS provider to Google (https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using) as that fixes this problem and will continue working into the future.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: SolGray.1706

SolGray.1706

I’m next… two days still can’t start my Client.. yeah I have FIOS, no luck, customer service didn’t know anything.

Posted by: Uguu.3857

Uguu.3857

A work-around suggestion from our Server Team:
Set your DNS provider to Google (https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using) as that fixes this problem and will continue working into the future.

I am on FiOS and am having this problem. I was on Google’s DNS already. The instructions given do not help.

Posted by: PurpScurpington.6457

PurpScurpington.6457

I’m having the same issue on FiOS as well, even with Google DNS the download still oscillates down to 0.00kb/s after a reboot of the network adapter and of the entire PC itself. Both patches on 5/20/2014 completed without incident, please provide a fix for this problem as soon as possible to prevent people from missing the new content.

Is it possible to allow manual patching or P2P patching to get around this?

Posted by: Apocalypse Knight Legacy.6718

Apocalypse Knight Legacy.6718

This worked for me:

Find your hosts file here: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Copy/paste the hosts file to your desktop.

Rename the file so it becomes “hosts.txt”

Now open the file with notepad. (you need to run as admin if you have that option)

Add this line at the bottom:

174.35.56.164 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Save the file.

Now rename the file again to delete the .txt so it has no file extension anymore and is just “hosts” again.

Now go replace your old hosts file with this new edited one on your desktop.

If you have the GW2 launcher already open, restart it.

This was someone else’s fix, but it worked for me when the Google DNS didn’t work right away.

Posted by: Fumixx.7903

Fumixx.7903

I am also having this issue and I have Fios and been playing for ages. I was playing earlier today so I’m not entirely sure why it’s stuck at 0kb/sec. I tried the instructions above and it didn’t help. It would be dissapointing to miss most of the event but I still love you Guild Wars even if I can’t play you

Posted by: Uguu.3857

Uguu.3857

This worked for me:

Now open the file with notepad. (you need to run as admin if you have that option)

Save the file.

Now rename the file again to delete the .txt so it has no file extension anymore and is just “hosts” again.

This was someone else’s fix, but it worked for me when the Google DNS didn’t work right away.

This did it for me! Thank you!

Posted by: PurpScurpington.6457

PurpScurpington.6457

This worked for me:

Save the file.

Can confirm this works. Download speed shot right up to 6+ mbps.

Posted by: Venombeyond.3097

Venombeyond.3097

This worked for me:

Save the file.

This works, can confirm, JUST did this. I personally renamed the old host to host.old as a backup, but I did everything else, worked fine, updated properly.

Posted by: Fumixx.7903

Fumixx.7903

This worked for me:

Save the file.

Fantastikittenerally a few seconds after I posted my sad story about it not working this bold fellow has posted instructions to resolve the problem thus I thank you kind sir or mam

Posted by: DirkHardpeck.9753

DirkHardpeck.9753

I am on FIOS and the hosts.txt edit worked for me! Thanks!

Posted by: Jester.1236

Jester.1236

I tried this line for line, and I must be doing something wrong I put it on the desktop, changed it, put it back, and it didn’t fix me

Posted by: Grimm.7985

Grimm.7985

I was trying to update with the most recent build and after i think the client crashed, how do i fix it? the bar went down to 0% (o.ooKB/sec)

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

For everyone modifying the host file: be careful. If Arenanet ever changes that IP/URL pairing, you won’t be able to connect.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

(edited by EnemyCrusher.7324)

Posted by: Imaru.2068

Imaru.2068

This man is an absolutely beautiful person for posting this. Thank you.

This worked for me:

Save the file.

Posted by: slashemfast.9740

slashemfast.9740

OK these fixes are fine and dandy, but there are users out there that aren’t tech savvy at all. GW needs to fix this problem on their end.. This is not right for us to have to wait hours even days to play the new content… Get it together already ANET

Posted by: deschRTG.4310

deschRTG.4310

This worked for me:

Save the file.

This worked great for me as well. Thank you very much

EnemyCrusher.7324

Okay, after talking to Verizon customer support for the past two hours, and showing them Gaile’s response, their response to the DNS problem is this:

The packets are leaving Verizon’s network, as evidenced by server tracert tests, so the DNS problem is not within their network.

Gaile (or anyone else at Arenanet), I can provide the tracert logs if you’d like, just let me know.

“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

(edited by EnemyCrusher.7324)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Packets leaving a network does not mean there is not a DNS problem or some other issue within their network….

TracerRT does not show a RETURN path (that is necessary for a file transfer). The fact that the download appears to START is full proof that the request is going thru to Anet’s servers.

The fact that another DNS resolver works fine when you are USING their network very much implies it’s a DNS issue on their network. In any event, there is NOTHING Anet can do directly to fix this issue and a workaround (that other customers confirm) has been provided.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Anastasia Avalon.6908

Anastasia Avalon.6908

IP + assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com is no longer working for me, I dread seeing a new build announced in GW. It takes me hours to download the new build, I wish they would just stop!

Posted by: arkenstone.7896

arkenstone.7896

It isn’t limited to FIOS. I have Verizon DSL and I am also having the problem. It is a problem with Verizon in general. The host file trick works though.

(edited by arkenstone.7896)

Posted by: Katahdin.8714

Katahdin.8714

Background: FIOS has been presenting issues with GW2 for a little over a week now. After collecting a decent amount of data we feel this is going to be a DNS issue on Verizon’s side as players connections are not resolving when hitting the server while on FIOS but can usually resolve when using GoogleDNS or Host file edits.

Suggestion: We suggest that players contact FIOS for help. We have sent an e-mail to FIOS already and we have contacted Verizon but at this time we are still awaiting their responses.

This could be a case where your individual contacts help us resolve this for everyone so if you do contact and care to update this thread, that could be helpful.

Thank you for understanding and we wish we could help more directly!

This isn’t just a FIOS problem; it is a Verizon network problem. I have Verizon DSL (Not Fios) and I have had this issue for 3 days. Making a VPN and using a VPN server is the only thing that worked for me. I have never had a problem with updates until this past Tuesday.

Posted by: Raven Shadowfox.4367

Raven Shadowfox.4367

I too am on Verizon DSL and am having the same issue. For some reason this morning I was able to get in, but this evening it is back to the slow to stop.

Posted by: RebelsHeart.4851

RebelsHeart.4851

Thank you for the hostfile edit trick.

Sivarl Stormbright / Rook Mindfang
[DOOR] – [VG]
Proud Member of the JQTeq Alliance

Posted by: Irish Forestal.4168

Irish Forestal.4168

That’s fantastic for all the “tech savvy” people as stated previously. But I’m not all for messing with any hosts or files in any way. This is not something we should have to do in the first place. Arenanet needs to work with Verizon and get this issue fixed. It should not be up to the customer to provide a service your company should supply. If Verizon, as stated, supposedly isn’t answering emails and what not, then I would say Arenanet is responsible for getting THEIR customers back online and working. Customer support should be the #1 priority not laying the responsibility on Verizon or Arenanet customers to find a solution.

Posted by: Cyrus.8126

Cyrus.8126

Help!

I was doing the HOST change to .txt and i did that and it changed it to a txt file, now when i try to remove the .txt, nothing happens! its still a .txt file!

Can i revert it back? i cannot undo change at this point. Any help would be great!

Posted by: Irish Forestal.4168

Irish Forestal.4168

Lettuce.2945:

I was just online with Verizon chat support. It’s an issue on ANET’s end. Think about it, why am I able to play other games but not guild wars 2? I think it’s an issue with the latest expansion and the recent release in China. The servers might be overloaded and not responding to the DNS servers quickly enough. This needs to be remedied quickly.

EXACTLY! I have no other issues with ANY other games. Arenanet, you are dropping the ball here.

Posted by: Ellie.2840

Ellie.2840

That’s fantastic for all the “tech savvy” people as stated previously. But I’m not all for messing with any hosts or files in any way. This is not something we should have to do in the first place. Arenanet needs to work with Verizon and get this issue fixed. It should not be up to the customer to provide a service your company should supply. If Verizon, as stated, supposedly isn’t answering emails and what not, then I would say Arenanet is responsible for getting THEIR customers back online and working. Customer support should be the #1 priority not laying the responsibility on Verizon or Arenanet customers to find a solution.

Well said and I share the same thoughts regarding this issue. I have already spent a couple hours I should NOT have to trying to play a game I paid for.

Posted by: Josh.3759

Josh.3759

I’m having this issue myself after 5/22/2014 update, though my game was working fine early today before the patch.

Good Fights GvG | WvW Team
| LvL 80 elementalist Call Meh God | Multi-Gaming no lifer

Posted by: gkkau.1034

gkkau.1034

Finally Downloaded at 12am eastern for me after about 5 hours of waiting. I do have virizon Dsl also, so either its Areanet with being jamed with peak time downloads or Virizon problem or a combination.

EnemyCrusher.7324

The Google DNS solution worked last time, but not this time.

Posted by: apernesky.8729

apernesky.8729

I have tried all this stuff.. not sure i did it write or wrong… but nothing seems to be working… i would call FIOS but WHAT THE HECK DO I SAY???? my game wont work… what are they my mom?… come on… please email when this problem is fixed… funny how it happens the same day they bring out a new stuff

Posted by: Jester.1236

Jester.1236

Maybe they could stop putting out patches, that stop people from playing, until they fix this.

EnemyCrusher.7324

Maybe they could stop putting out patches, that stop people from playing, until they fix this.

I’ve been trying to download the latest update for the past hour so I can log in in time to finish my daily. With two files remaining they put out a new patch. So frustrating.

Posted by: Ellie.2840

Ellie.2840

This is ridiculous, for the third day in a row the same issue after the patch—download stalls and will not finish. I’ve discovered that if I wait until 11:30 pm Eastern time or later I have a chance of it working…but it will take 30 minutes to an hour to get the patch. And that doesn’t help with me being able to get on for WVW reset tonight at 9 pm Eastern.

Fix this problem!

EnemyCrusher.7324

I figured out that I get a really fast download for the first half second of opening the client and then it quickly dwindles to less than 1kb/s, so I’m now restarting the client over and over so I can actually get the updates.

Edit: 29 files remaining and I hit one that I can’t fully download in that first half second. This is going to take a while.

Posted by: Dark Dante.6970

Dark Dante.6970

This worked for me:

Save the file.

Worked for me as well. Restarted DL client and was dling at over 2MB/s… thanks!

Posted by: madmanmacy.7935

madmanmacy.7935

Some people have had success with downloading by changing the language of the client. You can give it a try, it can’t hurt. Then, change the language back, after the install completes. Good luck.

Also, in the future, this would not be an Account Issue, but more suited to Tech Support. =)

Posted by: madmanmacy.7935

madmanmacy.7935

how do you change the language

EnemyCrusher.7324

Changing the language does download a bit faster, but it doesn’t download the same files. I have 26 files remaining on the English version and 16,002 files remaining on the German version.

Posted by: midnight tea.3681

midnight tea.3681

Help!

I was doing the HOST change to .txt and i did that and it changed it to a txt file, now when i try to remove the .txt, nothing happens! its still a .txt file!

Can i revert it back? i cannot undo change at this point. Any help would be great!

Same here, I’m at a loss at how to revert it.

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

This worked for me:

Save the file.

On FIOS, this worked for me. Patch downloaded in seconds. Thanks much!

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube