Download Client stalls and doesn't install

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: NolanJW.4205

NolanJW.4205

This worked for me:

Find your hosts file here: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Copy/paste the hosts file to your desktop.

Rename the file so it becomes “hosts.txt”

Now open the file with notepad. (you need to run as admin if you have that option)

Add this line at the bottom:

174.35.56.164 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Save the file.

Now rename the file again to delete the .txt so it has no file extension anymore and is just “hosts” again.

Now go replace your old hosts file with this new edited one on your desktop.

If you have the GW2 launcher already open, restart it.

This was someone else’s fix, but it worked for me when the Google DNS didn’t work right away.

I tried this with no luck, I also have FIOS.
This issue is ridiculous, I can’t believe how many people this is affecting without any sign of it getting fixed.

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

Help!

I was doing the HOST change to .txt and i did that and it changed it to a txt file, now when i try to remove the .txt, nothing happens! its still a .txt file!

Can i revert it back? i cannot undo change at this point. Any help would be great!

Same here, I’m at a loss at how to revert it.

Only thing I can think is your PC is set to hide file extensions so when you remove the .txt, windows thinks you just want to remove it from the name and not the file extension.

Look up how to show file extensions on your operating system, then when you remove the .txt it should change the file type back.

Alternatively you may be able to copy another file from the “etc” folder, save the edited hosts txt file over that which will make it a ‘generic’ file again, then rename that to hosts.

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube

Posted by: Brinthus.7129

Brinthus.7129

This is one of many reasons a customer shouldnt have to “fix” a problem that is keeping them from playing the game.

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

^ seriously, can we get this fixed already, its like my only day to play out of the month and I would honestly like to be able to load up my game…

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

Posted by: midnight tea.3681

midnight tea.3681

Help!

I was doing the HOST change to .txt and i did that and it changed it to a txt file, now when i try to remove the .txt, nothing happens! its still a .txt file!

Can i revert it back? i cannot undo change at this point. Any help would be great!

Same here, I’m at a loss at how to revert it.

Only thing I can think is your PC is set to hide file extensions so when you remove the .txt, windows thinks you just want to remove it from the name and not the file extension.

Look up how to show file extensions on your operating system, then when you remove the .txt it should change the file type back.

Alternatively you may be able to copy another file from the “etc” folder, save the edited hosts txt file over that which will make it a ‘generic’ file again, then rename that to hosts.

Enabling Windows to show the file extension cleared that up. Thank you very much!

Posted by: Brinthus.7129

Brinthus.7129

Unless I have missed something the last time we had an official response was 2 days ago when it was suggested that this was probably a Verizon DNS problem. It was suggested that we contact Verizon customer service and a work-around involving google DNS server was proposed.

Since this red post I have been back and forth in email with Anet tech support pasting nslookup results from command prompt.

I was on the phone last night for over an hour with Verizon, working all the way up to a FIOS tech support supervisor (the next step is a verizon network engineer but they dont talk to customers). The supervisor was helpful but I couldnt give him enough information to conduct the kind of checks he wanted to do. (BTW why do I have to be the one to talk to verizon tech support people when the problem is between you and them and I dont have all the information to help them correct the problem anyway?)

I performed the change to the Google DNS server as suggested in the official response and the same problem persists: My game client connects to the arenanet servers and starts the download. Then after a short time, the download speed gradually drops to zero and the download fails.

We are coming up on a holiday weekend and anew WvW season has started… alot of us would really like to play this game we didnt have any trouble playing until the most recent patch.

Its very poor form to shove all the blame onto my ISP and then remain silent. An update would be most welcome.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

I’d talk to Verizon but.. I don’t have FIOS so I don’t even understand why I’m having this issue and it certainly is an issue.

I spend quite a lot in the Gem Store – if I can’t reliably count on being able to play thanks to patches not downloading, I will gladly spend it elsewhere. Nothing is more irritating than spending real money to redo a character and not being able to play for 8+ hours thus far.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

Anet needs to stop adding patches until this issue is resolved. It’s ridiculous having to repatch every time every day now.

Posted by: mgamer.8096

mgamer.8096

12:05 am EST & it downloaded just fine. i didn’t try any of the so called “fixes”. just wanted to check it out at midnight. tbh i’ve moved on to a different game.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Mine finally pulled through too. After downloading a file, it would drop to 0 and need to be restarted. Did that over and over for two hours straight, finally have the game patched.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

It looks like they might have resolved this issue in the past two hours. Here’s hoping it stays working.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Posted by: Chi.8917

Chi.8917

Same deal with Verizon. I got FIOS and seem to be having issues for the past several days.