Downloader stuck at 0% not a security issue, please help.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Aelynn.4793

Aelynn.4793

Q:

Despite what the sticky says, I have windows fire wall turned off, I even uninstalled AVG altogether. I have enabled a DMZ through the router, there is nothing stopping this download from coming through.

If I use the setup.exe from the CD, it downloads up to 10135kb and then stops. Splash screen goes away, and then comes back up at 0% and then disappears.

If pull the .exe, dat and temp files out of the temp folder and run them in their own folder that is where I get the straight stuck at 0%.

I am running everything as ADMIN, nothing is set to read only. I have followed every suggestion on any forums I could find nothing works. Please help me with this.

Posted by: Yshaar.4921

Yshaar.4921

do you use Wifi? Update your network card driver. how? Google the brand and download the thing.

Could also be your router. Newest firmware?

German rp/pvx guild on Drakkar’s Lake
Join us : seelenverbunden.com

Aelynn.4793

It isn’t the router, even if I connect directly to the modem it does not fix my problem.
No wifi, wired direct connection.

Posted by: Setch.2398

Setch.2398

What version of Windows? Where do you have the game installed? Try going straight to a folder on the desktop.

SOR – [Boss]

Aelynn.4793

Actually right now I just have it right on the desk top, not in a folder. I’ll put it in a folder but I don’t think that will make a difference.

Windows 7 64x

Aelynn.4793

Is it possible that it is downloading and just not displaying the progress?

My Gw2.dat file is getting bigger….

Just so that I have an idea, what is the average download time to complete it? Just so I know how long I should just leave this thing going even though it is not showing any progress.

Posted by: Yshaar.4921

Yshaar.4921

that is possible. Leave it going over night. It takes between 2 and 4 hours. Depending on your speed of course.

German rp/pvx guild on Drakkar’s Lake
Join us : seelenverbunden.com

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I don’t know. I’m her boyfriend, I just did the same thing on my computer. The big difference is that after the first splash screen disapears you get the big red ‘Install Guild Wars’ button.

That never happens with hers as it is just sitting at zero. So you never get to pick an install folder or anything. On hers the .dat file is getting bigger, but on mine it is installing in a whole different folder selected by the installer.

I don’t understand what the difference could be, we are running the same OS (Windows 7). I even have my fire wall up and it asked me for permission, I had to ‘click’ allow. Her firewall is disabled.

I guess my only option at this point is to download the whole thing on my rig and copy it over to hers, but I am still not sure how to get the thing to actually ‘install’ once the files are there.

CryxTryx.9208

I also remember that her flash player was asking for an update, I’m thinking this might be another factor in the problem. My client has a minimize button and everything, hers had none of that, and the ‘X’ button didn’t work, I would have to task manager it to close it.

Posted by: Makabo.4089

Makabo.4089

Having the exact same issue here. I have been working on it since yesterday. I’ve tried all the same things. And still no dice. But this is the first forum I’ve found that accurately describes my problem. So let me know if you figure it out, and ill let you know if I make any breakthroughs with this issue.

CryxTryx.9208

Thanks for your reply. Is your flash player fully updated? That is one thing I have not tested yet.

Are you using a router or are you connected directly to your modem? If not, try directly connecting to your modem and let me know if that does anything.

Posted by: Crylicus.1370

Crylicus.1370

I have the same issue. It runs fine on another computer, yet just will not install on this one. I have even copied the complete game from my other computer onto this one and it just does not connect.

I have noticed from the test file created by gameadvisor, that I can’t seem to connect to icmp.arenanetworks.com.
206.127.158.1:80 – connect failed
64.25.39.1:80 – connect failed

Also, when tracerouting, I loose all packets at several locations. Everytime, I loose them at 64.25.32.26 and 64.25.32.82. Hopefully they can figure this out. They said it was my router, but how could I play on my other computer and have many people over playing then? I have windows xp, also.

Posted by: Soulrez.8712

Soulrez.8712

Hello guys,

Based on the issue Crylicus.1370 described, can you check some things for me?
Go to your connected networks, then find the Wi-Fi network you connected to.
Right click it and look at its properties.
Select Internet Protocol Version 6, and click properties.
Do you have “Obtain an IPv6 address automatically” and “Obtain DNS server address automatically” selected? Don’t change any settings yet, it’d be helpful if you could just tell me whether you have those checked or not.
Then, could do the same for Internet Protocol Version 4?

Thanks.

Crylicus.1370

The original poster and myself are running wired connections. Also, myself have addresses obtaining automatically, but I did try using the google dns(8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4). Also, it is just weird that I could play the beta events just fine, and then upon release, I have this issue.

Posted by: Soulrez.8712

Soulrez.8712

Hmm ok, this is kind of an odd issue. I think you may have to escalate it to ArenaNet if you haven’t done so already, it seems like there’s a problem with their server accepting packets sent from your system.

I can only suggest one thing, and that is to rename your Guild Wars 2 setup file to something else. I’m not sure why, but renaming has done wonders in the past, and it’s easy, so it’s worth a shot.

I’m sorry that I could not provide a solution with your problem.
Best of luck.

Crylicus.1370

I have renamed it. Before renaming, the downloader would download up to 10135kb, restart and then crash with no error. Now it just sits there at 0kb as my files grow. I already submitted a ticket, I am just very impatient and would like to play. Sorry for stealing the thread. I just saw we had the exact same issue, and would like to see it resolved.

CryxTryx.9208

So I made sure the Java was updated on my girlfriends comp. I don’t know if that has anything to do with this launcher but I figured it couldn’t hurt. That had no effect.

This is not a router issue So don’t let them tell you that. I had my girlfriend unplug the router in her home and go directly through her modem and we got the same result.

The first initial download, and then when the splash screen comes up for the second time it sits at zero for about 1 second then disappears with out an error message or anything.

I didn’t have time tonight to create a test report in order to create a ticket which I will. I just can’t understand what is causing this on her computer and not on mine.

I also turned her windows fire wall back on after my other tests failed and I would like to point out that the program does not even ask permission from the fire wall before it disappears. I had to ‘allow’ two separate times for mine to go through the fire wall, this doesn’t even ask permission. I don’t know how relevant this is considering it doesn’t work if the fire wall is up or down.

(edited by CryxTryx.9208)

Posted by: Makabo.4089

Makabo.4089

Yeah still having the issue over here I guess the best thing to do is to open up a ticket. Just sucks because I’ve now spent hours trying to figure this thing out and still haven’t been able to come up with a solution, I’ve tried everything I can think of. So yeah ill try making a ticket tomorrow and see how that goes, Ill probably have one of my computer savvy friends come over and see if they can make magic happen. Well as I said if I figure anything out ill post here. Good luck everyone!

CryxTryx.9208

Yes please do. It is quite frustrating.

Posted by: Surfer.4029

Surfer.4029

Here’s my thread about this problem, but we didn’t have any luck figuring it out either. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Setup-download-stops-at-10135-kb/first#post6285 Hope Tech support figures it out soon. I sent a ticket in yesterday and they had me send them a game advisor test.txt and then they had me download HijackThis to send them another txt file. Currently waiting for them to get back to me on that.

Posted by: zaneyard.3201

zaneyard.3201

Same here. The patcher sits at Downloading 0KB (0KB/sec) for a while, then usually goes to the launcher (where you can log in). My password is cleared out, but my email remains saved. The launcher just sits here with 0% in the corner and no download starting. I’m able to log in after typing in my password.

I tried the repair tool on my existing dat file (which was working yesterday), and it goes through and verifies everything and gets us back where we started.

I attempted renaming my gw2.dat file, and it appears as if the patcher, even though it says Downloading 0KB (0KB/sec) my NEW dat file grows. After seeing that it was downloading in this case, I brought back my old dat file. Now I am unable to proceed to the launcher.

Perhaps a data center is down? I’m in Wisconsin.

Posted by: zaneyard.3201

zaneyard.3201

And now it’s fixed. Looks like the game thought new build was out but it wasn’t activated yet? I was sitting here watching the patcher download nothing for about 5 minutes. My buddy in game says that a new build is available, I restart my client, and it downloads in a matter of seconds.

CryxTryx.9208

I’ll have to try it again then, I really hope it is fixed, but this problem was only occurring on isolated computers.

Mine worked fine right way, my girlfriends did not. I’ll go there after work again today and try it out.

Surfer.4029

Alright I have my .dat file at 14.1 gb now but I dont know what to do after that. How to install the game if theres no install button =P

Aelynn.4793

Still the same issue here. Nothing different happening today.

Surfer.4029

I put my Gw2.exe, Gw2.tmp, and Gw2.dat into C:\Programs (x86)\Guild Wars 2. Then I left Gw2.exe running with 0KB ( 0KB/sec ) all night because Gw2.dat was gaining size. From what I can tell the Gw2.dat file has stopped at 14.1 GB. I clicked Gw2.exe again and it started going up to like 425 KB I think (didn’t really pay attention) and then it stopped. Now its back at 0KB ( 0KB/sec ) and the Gw2.dat isn’t gaining size. Usually there would be a install button after all of the downloading, but there isn’t. Sooooo now I’m stuck with a full Gw2.dat file and no install button.

Crylicus.1370

I just received a reply from support and it helped greatly!

“Hello,

I would like to rule out the possibility that there is another program interfering with the game connection. To do this, we use a Windows command called “MSCONFIG.”

Please note, this command will not uninstall any applications from your computer. All MSCONFIG does is prevent these applications from automatically starting when Windows boots up.

To do this:

1. Press and hold the Windows key and then hit the R key. This should bring up the Run dialog box.

2. Type “MSCONFIG” without the quotes, and click “OK.” This should open the System Configuration Utility.

3. Click on the “Services” tab and check the “Hide All Microsoft Services” check box near the bottom, then click the “Disable All” button. (You MUST click “Hide all Microsoft Services”)

4. Next go to the “Startup” tab and click the “Disable All” button.

5. Once these items are all disabled, click the “OK” button and you will get a prompt to restart your computer. Please restart your computer.

6. Once you return to Windows, please try connecting to the game again. If your issue is not resolved by using MSCONFIG, I would like to obtain a logfile of your current background applications and Internet browser settings by running a program called HijackThis. A Hijackthis logfile will also help us identify whether or not any malicious programs such as viruses or keyloggers reside on your system. To run this tool, please perform the following:

1. Download and run HijackThis from the following link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

2. Click the “Do a system scan and save a logfile” button.

3. Once the scan is complete, a text logfile will appear in Notepad. Save this file to your Desktop.

Once done, please update your incident using the provided link and attach the log.

-To reverse these settings, simply run MSCONFIG again and click “Normal Startup” on the first window labeled “General.”

Note: If you need a specific application to run with Windows but still want to use MSCONFIG, just follow the above instructions and on step 4, re-check any application you feel needs to start with Windows. Examples would be wireless connection software, mouse or keyboard applications or even security applications. Please note that security applications can often be a contributing factor to such issues. If you haven’t done so already, please also disable any Anti-virus, Firewall or other security applications for testing purposes. While we do not recommend running your machine without a security application, should disabling the software help resolve your issue we can reinstall it and work to configure the application so it doesn’t cause this issue.

Please try these settings and let me know if they have any effect on your issue.

Regards,
Kenda"

The key part was stopping all nonmicrosoft services. It helped greatly.

Aelynn.4793

The MSCONFIG thing did not work.

I know that I am running on board graphics, but I don’t see why that should stop me from just downloading the client. I am in the process of replacing my video card I thought that I could at least get things up and running.

Also turns out that HP (the manufacturer of my computer) does not have driver support for windows 7 for my computer at all. So I can’t even update my existing drivers.

Anyway here is my report in case anyone can help.

Crylicus.1370

Are you still trying to install from the disc? I could not install from the disc for the life of me. So, I downloaded the official installer(21mb), and then had to rename that file to “gw2.exe”. Also, I had to port forward all the Guild Wars 2 ports. At this point, disabling all start up programs and services did the trick when I installed from the newly created gw2.exe. Make sure you move the file to a folder with plenty of space and away from Program Files or anywhere that is not writable because it will install right into the folder it is in. I think it will help because your error log looks just like my own.

Posted by: Ellacallista.7013

Ellacallista.7013

Mine is doing the same thing, I cant even get the new patch update.

Posted by: AdventureCat.3614

AdventureCat.3614

Hi guys,

I had this exact same problem last week (installation crashing at 10423kb) and have found a solution I believe has not been listed. I hope this works for you (sorry if my explanation is confusing). Here is what I did:

1) Go to your Windows search and type “Device Manager”
2) In Device Manager, click the tab called “Display adapters.” If you do not see the correct driver listed, for example, “NVIDIA GeForce 310M” (which is mine) and it says something “standard” you will need to go to your computer’s support site and download the correct driver from there.

My computer is a Samsung and I went here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads

Turns out, even though I thought I updated my graphics card from here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us, my computer still wouldn’t install the game.

I really hope this information helps you! Let me know if you need more clarification.

Posted by: Rebellss.2439

Rebellss.2439

Hi! Right now, I Have that Problem Is there a solution for this thing?