Dramatically low FPS when I shouldn't be (I think)

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Conpatshe.7613

Conpatshe.7613

Hi all,

Ever since I got this game I’ve experienced really low fps. I get around 0-18 fps on “Best Performance” and around a bit lest on Auto-Detect. On auto-detect it puts me on high for everything.

My specs are

ATI Radeon HD 5900
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs) ~2.7GHz
12288GB Ram
Windows 7 64 Bit

I did fix it temporarily by cleaning out the fan but now its back to the low fps

Any help is appreciated

p.s all drivers are up to date

Posted by: dacooli.6712

dacooli.6712

I lag with gtx 680 so..

Posted by: Home Style.9640

Home Style.9640

I also have a 920@3.6ghz.

I think the game has trouble utilizing our 8 threads. It’s the games fault, not the CPUs. Don’t mess with any CPU settings or disable your threading. Trust me.

Im in class. I’ll add more to this when I’m out

Posted by: Crawen.4279

Crawen.4279

Don’t worry. People with much better PCs have low FPS too, and they shouldn’t.
I have a notebook with hardware that is way better than the minimum needed hardware. Game runs like s**t.

Probably there will be a fix … I hope.

:: Core i3 – 370m 2,4GHz :: 8 GB DDR3 1333MHz :: nVidia GT540M 1GB ::

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Hi Conpatshe – This is a pretty loaded question as performance based issues can stem from a number of different variables. While definitely not placing a blame on you or your system, we do like to rule it out first as being an issue so we can address it and get you playing at the proper speeds while we continue to investigate this issue as a whole on our end.

That being said, I’d like to collect a couple of diagnostic reports from you. The first one, is very much like a DxDiag but provides a bit more information called the Game Advisor report.

You can download the application by clicking the link below:
http://us.ncsoft.com/gameadvisor/

Please note that you will be automatically prompted to download the application upon clicking the link.

Second, I would like to ensure that your computer devices are running at the correct speeds. To do this we will be using a 3rd party program called GPU-Z which will give us more detailed information which will help us in troubleshooting your issue.

1. Visit http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2157/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.6.4.html

2. Click on “Download Now”

3. You will be prompted to select a location to download it from. Please select the location closest to you. (If in the US select one of the US options etc)

4. Once the file is downloaded, please double-clik it to begin installing it.

5. Select “yes” and then “Next” and then “Install”

6. Once the install is complete click “Close” and the program should automatically run.

7. Make sure the “Graphics” tab is active and click the camera icon in the upper right corner. 8.

8. In the menu that pops up, select “Save to File”. Choose your desktop as your save location and name the file.

From there you should be able to attach this file to the thread as well.

Posted by: peer.2389

peer.2389

Could u look into my problem aswell?
Low fps mostly 20-35 fps all around
my rig:
AMD phenom II x6 1090T overclocked 3.5ghz
amd radeon hd 6870 915mhz
8gig 1333mhz ram

(edited by Moderator)

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Hi peer – I will try to assist as many players as I can in regards to this issue but it will be difficult as it’s a pretty complex one. I will do my best to address what I can see but I would highly recommend creating a support ticket so that you can get some one on one assistance as our Technical Support team will cover all possible bases in regards to this issue to get you playing.

To start, I have reviewed your DxDiag and it appears you are missing a very critical update for Windows 7. The latest revision of drivers from AMD.com now require Microsoft Service Pack 1 to be installed on your computer and it appears your PC does not have this installed. You can review those new requirements here: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystSoftwareSuiteVersion123ReleaseNotes.aspx

Specifically: (From AMD.com)

Notes.

When installing the AMD Catalyst driver for Windows operating system, the user must be logged on as Administrator or have Administrator rights to complete the installation of the AMD Catalyst driver.
The Catalyst driver requires Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to be installed.

In order to install this update, please visit www.windowsupdate.com and select all updates labeled “Important” or “Critical.” While not required, you may also want to review any updates under the label “Hardware.” Once installed, you may also need to reinstall your AMD drivers as they were installed without this update being present.

Secondly, it appears as though you are either missing updates for your motherboard drivers or you do not have them installed:

Name: PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_9603&SUBSYS_96011849&REV_00\3&267A616A&0&10
Driver: n/a

I would highly recommend updating first Windows, then your motherboard drivers and then your graphics drivers.

peer.2389

Thank you verry mutch, first real answer thanks.
will try everything u metioned and then report back, thanks again.

EDIT1: I checked the amd page, I’ve got the leatest amd drivers installed (12.8 with profiles installed)
EDIT2: Already had my mobo drivers instaled, now using driver genius to check for updates

(edited by peer.2389)

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Hi peer – You’re most welcome. You do have the latest drivers installed, but I think it would be best to install Service Pack 1 and then do a clean installation of the latest AMD drivers. This is due to the fact that the drivers were installed before the critical Windows updates were present.

EDIT : I should also mention that I would only recommend updating the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.

peer.2389

Hi peer – You’re most welcome. You do have the latest drivers installed, but I think it would be best to install Service Pack 1 and then do a clean installation of the latest AMD drivers. This is due to the fact that the drivers were installed before the critical Windows updates were present.

EDIT : I should also mention that I would only recommend updating the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.

Okay will do that, will report back once done. Thank you

Posted by: Conpatshe.7613

Conpatshe.7613

Thank you for the reply

Here are the details I’ve gathered:

Home Style.9640

Ashley,

I know you’ve been seeing the rage on the forums about the terrible performance on the majority of systems in the game. Why play it off like its not anets problem? People have been posting dx reports for almost a month now and we haven’t seen any updates on any of our issues. It’s not a complex issue at all!! Gw2 does not properly utilize any of our parts, which explains my 20% CPU usage.

Instead of asking for an overwhelming amount of dx reports, start posting results or give us an update Atleast!

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Ashley,

I know you’ve been seeing the rage on the forums about the terrible performance on the majority of systems in the game. Why play it off like its not anets problem? People have been posting dx reports for almost a month now and we haven’t seen any updates on any of our issues. It’s not a complex issue at all!! Gw2 does not properly utilize any of our parts, which explains my 20% CPU usage.

Instead of asking for an overwhelming amount of dx reports, start posting results or give us an update Atleast!

Really ? Then…How about post the fix for Anet to resolve this issue …..? Since its not complicated at all to resolve this..

Home Style.9640

When did I say the SOLUTION wasn’t complicated? I believe I said the issue isn’t complicated.

It’s ok, send them your worthless dx reports. They’ll just say its your system.

Posted by: ZaxanRazor.6235

ZaxanRazor.6235

It’s hardly the majority. In fact, it’s nowhere near.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

When did I say the SOLUTION wasn’t complicated? I believe I said the issue isn’t complicated.

You did say,the issue is Not complex,if the issue is not complex than the solution isnt complex either….anyway.Im not in need of sending any Diags,since i dont have problems running this game.But you should understand the fact that they need all the info they can get,from alot of different systems in order to fix this

peer.2389

I installed windows service pack 1, COMPLETLY whiped the chipset and gpu drivers. then rebooted and then installed the fresh drivers.
and still no luck, 20~35 fps all around

Home Style.9640

Isn’t this supposed to be an issue with the GAME? There have been a lot of players experiencing slow game performance, and quite honestly, I wouldn’t call that an isolated issue.

It’s obviously something wrong with the game, seeing as these players can’t even run the game properly with all settings set to low. Myself included.

Please address this ordeal and tell us what ANET is doing to fix the problem. Just give us something, please.

My point exactly. These people obviously don’t check the forums… But then again that’s probably why they created another post on a topic that’s already been created about 500 times.

Posted by: Cbuzz.5083

Cbuzz.5083

90% of the time it is peoples low end 6yr old hardware. Ashley just trying to help. Ashley can’t make slow/crap hardware suddenly go faster…

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

Posted by: Avectius.3271

Avectius.3271

Ashley, isn’t this supposed to be an issue with the GAME? There have been hundreds of players experiencing slow performance despite possessing strong enough machines to run this game flawlessly. People can’t even get good FPS results with all settings set to low.

With that said, I don’t think this is an isolated issue.

Can we at least get an official announcement on what’s being done to fix the game? Or at least SOMETHING. Please.

peer.2389

90% of the time it is peoples low end 6yr old hardware. Ashley just trying to help. Ashley can’t make slow/crap hardware suddenly go faster…

well my rig ain’t slow crap and im having fps problems.

Posted by: Cbuzz.5083

Cbuzz.5083

You need to read “Amd processors & Gw2” thread. Your rig ain’t exactly high end & your fps are spot on for your hardware.

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

peer.2389

You need to read “Amd processors & Gw2” thread. Your rig ain’t exactly high end & your fps are spot on for your hardware.

3dmark of my phenom is almost the same as I5 2500k (5200 vs 5300)

AND it isn’t the bulldozer, AND mine is overclocked to 3.5 ghz

EDIT: whats a good 1155 socked mobo? (yes I am going to upgrade to intel)

(edited by peer.2389)

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

Ashley, isn’t this supposed to be an issue with the GAME? There have been hundreds of players experiencing slow performance despite possessing strong enough machines to run this game flawlessly. People can’t even get good FPS results with all settings set to low.

With that said, I don’t think this is an isolated issue.

Can we at least get an official announcement on what’s being done to fix the game? Or at least SOMETHING. Please.

I ll second this.
There s been so many down right stupid suggestions on how to fix these issues like changing flash settings to even harmful things like overvolting your GPU suggested by other players when the real problem is the game engine itself.
Yes a certain small percentage of players have old drivers, messed up systems or very old dual cores/bad laptops but even they would get a significant FPS improvement if the major issues with the game engine would be fixed.
I wont pretend i know what exactly these issues are but bad optimization, no occlusion, horrible threading and improper CPU and GPU usage all come to mind when i see this:

Attachments:

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet