E-Mail Security What A Joke

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: tcobra.9820

tcobra.9820

Here is the ticket number on the issue I have with Arenanet ( email account changed) [Incident: 120921-004881]
This is from their post on e-mail security that they are referring to everyone.
(QUOTE)
Email Authentication

We have a feature in place, email authentication, that’s designed to help keep your account secure even if a hacker does know your account name and password.

Here’s how it works. When you first login, we ask you to validate your email address. After that, whenever you attempt to login from a new location, we send email asking you to approve or deny the login attempt.

So keep in mind, if you ever see an unexpected email asking you to validate a login attempt from a location where you’re not playing from, that means a hacker already knows your account name and password! The only thing that’s keeping him from logging in as you is the email authentication system! Change your password immediately.

Here is a e-mail I got from Arenanet today

(QUOTE)

The e-mail address for your Guild Wars account has been changed?

Someone -hopefully you!- has requested to change the email address associated with your Guild Wars account.

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

Thanks!

-The ArenaNet Team

Now I did not request this change but my e-mail log in was changed we can not access the account and my e-mail account login is invalided (how did this happen so fast we all know that to change your e-mail log in takes a act of god ) ????

I love the( Someone -hopefully you) part. Now this is my wife’s account It is hooked to my e-mail account which I use a 10 digit pass including letters and special symbols so now she can not play and we are waiting on ArenaNet

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

Anet has absolute crap for security, expect your account back in about a week with all items gone once you submit a ticket.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

tcobra.9820

Yes that seems to be the case my second account i can play on but you know the old saying if wife is unhappy no one is happy

tcobra.9820

Day Two hope Anet has time to fix my problem

Posted by: skysong.9053

skysong.9053

This is EXACTLY what happened to my sons account. He was on his email at the time so we know for sure that he received no communication prior to the email address being changed. All he got was the same your wife received “hopefully by you!” notice. What a joke. People are trying to log in thinking that their passwords have been stolen when it is entirely probable that the passwords are being reset after the email has been changed. Who needs a password when you can change the email address on the account without warning or making sure that it is infact the account holder that want to change the email address? GW2 security is a joke at the moment and Mike O’Brien needs to wake up and stop blaming his customers for management failure.

Posted by: Thither.8193

Thither.8193

Agreed. And why can’t the account be restored to the state it was in before the hack and the lost items/gold deleted from the accounts they were mailed to (as well as those account suspended)? What’s the excuse for not being able to do that?

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Any issue regarding account security has to be submitted to our customer support.

This thread explain how to submit a request for account issue.

Thank you.