Error - confirming purchase of gems

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: sabbatic.9513

sabbatic.9513

Version 1.0.008555
2010 17" MBP 2.66 i7 ; 8G; NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Twice in the last 24-36 hours, I’ve tried to purchase gems with a “New Credit Card.” When I get to the last window and click confirm, the program thinks a bit, and then I get a dialog window that says something very close to

error.parse
error.shopping.object

Neither purchase actually went through, not the billing to my cc, not the confirmation email, and not the receipt of gems.

Posted by: Kyllaa.1385

Kyllaa.1385

This seems to be a new bug introduced after the billing maintenance the other day. My friend called me that night and told me about it. I also saw 2 others on the tech support forum experiencing this (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Cannot-purchase-Gems/first#post2213939) but there has been no response.

If I hadn’t just purchased gems last week, I would test it also.

Would you be willing to try a troubleshooting list for me? I’ll post it, if you can or want to,you can try the. Start with step 4, if that doesn’t work, start at step 1 and go through to the end. Then please post back if it works or not.

This will be LONG, but please read each step completely.

1.) run software update to ensure all drivers and os are up to date.

2.) try repairing disk permissions via Disk Utility first. Then…

3.) repair the client install

Open Terminal

Type the following:

/applications/guild\ wars\ 2.app/contents/MacOS/cider —use-dos-cwd C:Gw2 -- C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe -repair

You can copy and paste that in, but (check the dash) you must change the dash before the word USE or this will fail the forum shows an em dash (—), but it is supposed to be 2 consecutive en dashes (-). Run it and let it go until finished. FYI if you type the command yourself or paste it, they are 2 dashes (-) side by side… I’m noticing one sometimes looks like an em dash… It’s 2 en dashes though. (the dash before USE is 2 regular dashes)… Reiterated due to previous confusion about that dash on these forums.

4.)Perhaps after doing that, if it doesn’t work, you can try to delete the contents of the gw2 data folder, it’s a pain to get to the right one: this step is a general fix for many tp issues, even without the previous steps

Mine is located under the hidden Library folder (navigate using finder, do not use spotlight to search)

/[yourharddrivename]/users/[yourusername]/library/application support/guild wars 2

You may want to copy/paste this folder to your desktop as a temporary back up, just in case.

Delete the contents of that specific folder (you should see files like this contained within “config, dyndata.dat, user.reg, userdef.reg, and folders p_drive and wineserver…namestuff…loca..[long name]” just to list a few), then re-run the client..

~~Your folder is probably hidden (as is the default). Hidden folders display as greyed out text and icons. I found this after googling:

http://m.wikihow.com/See-Hidden-Folders-on-Mac-OS-X-and-Other-Recent-Models

Others claim alt+clicking a file/folder unhides the contents, but that was never successful for me. At least the link has visuals for you. Hope it helps.

5.) check support.mac.com for instructions on how to reset your pram and smc.

6.) If none of this works, check the sticky and submit a ticket, then please come back here and report the fix that worked for you.

I look forward to hearing from you after. Thanks and I hope you get your ability to purchase gems again!

Posted by: Stonehead.5108

Stonehead.5108

Im getting this:

Error!

{
“type” : “stepExternalIntro:error”
}

Anyone else got that error? im trying to purchase gems with paypal…

Kyllaa.1385

I have never seen that error. Only the parse error. Try the above steps as well. Please post back if anything works or not.

Posted by: Stonehead.5108

Stonehead.5108

sadly, it didnt work :I

Kyllaa.1385

I just tested it and I also got the parse error. I’ll go through the troubleshooting steps also and if it doesn’t work, I’ll file a ticket next.

Posted by: RisenAlexander.6850

RisenAlexander.6850

i have mac Beta too and i still can`t buy gems……

Posted by: Iluzija.1798

Iluzija.1798

I’m having the exact same error, I posted about it on the account section but it got moved to the BLTC section.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/Cant-buy-gems-Error/first#post2206241
I just got an answer to my ticket and it looks like its universal for mac users (or atleast some of us). They said to hang tight for a fix.

Kyllaa.1385

Well, that is a disappointing response! I’ll post my ticket response for any of you who have not filed one:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting NCSoft’s Technical Suppport. At this time we’re currently been made aware of the issue and are actively investigating the cause. Unfortunately we have no ETA on when this will be resolved yet. We have discovered that as a work around you should be able to make purchases using a Windows machine if you have access to one. This includes Mac machines running Boot Camp as well.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you, and appreciate your patience as we work towards a more permanent resolution.

If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
XXXX
NCSOFT Technical Support

Rather disappointing if I may say so myself. I’m sure many peeps purchased the Mac client without owning windows at all… Not very nice and just shows the level of Mac support we receive.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I just consider it as a sign that they no longer want us to support the game through gem purchases. It’s maybe their subtle way of saying, “We won’t support you so we no longer want you to support us.” Unfortunately I’ve already sunk my fair share of post box price money into the game. Not any more until they at least give us some status of what is going on, if anything, with the Mac client.

I guess this is what we get after they did us such a great favor by developing a Mac client using Cider, marketing it to Mac users and selling it to us for the same price as the Windows client. I’d start messaging Transgaming with my issues but I doubt there is anything they can do until NcSoft/Anet decides to work with them on known bugs. I’m sorry but saying use Windows is not a fix it is an insult to paying customers.

Seriously, saying please use Windows to give us more money while we refuse to acknowledge the Mac Beta Client Forum aside from some fly by close a random helpful thread, give me a break.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Kyllaa.1385

Trog, I have spent the last hour replying to my ticket saying nearly the same thing. I mean I finally have the ear of a support staffer, I’m going to use it! After reading someone else’s post yesterday about “use windows” I almost didn’t believe it, but my first thought was “what an insult to those who purchased the Mac client exclusively.” I shared this with my friend and she was ticked, to say it nicely, and agreed that it was insulting. I included just those words in my message back.

Now I want a real update again and not just a time wasting statement about our status. Maybe it’s time for a new thread regarding “We Want Answers”

JustTrogdor.7892

Yes you would think posts here saying things like, “We are trying but can’t give you our money” would at least get one of those fly by visits from staff.

I use Paypal and have not had this issue but I’m thinking next time I try and it takes me to the Paypal page the confirm payment button might be missing.

The Burninator

Kyllaa.1385

Lol! I did see another player using PayPal also receive an error, a different one, but still. Just FYI ;p

Oh, I got a response back from support after I noted how the Mac client barely supported, bugs have gone for months unfixed, and how offering windows as a solution is insulting. I’ll post the meat and potatoes of the message just so everyone knows where we stand.

“Thank you for getting back to us on this issue. Believe me, we are not trying to be insulting. We just want to offer any alternatives we can think of until Arenanet gets this issue fixed. I can assure you that it is being tracked and worked on and we will contact you once we get it taken care of.

Thank you again for the feedback."

So, I’ve made many of our concerns apparent in my email and stated how “beta” implies one actively working on bugs and trying to elevate beyond beta status, etc. this was my response. I don’t know where that leaves us in the grand scheme though. I really just wanted our voices heard. I wonder where we’ll be after this o.O

Anyway, just wanted to share this with the maccies so everyone understands the status of our newest bug. Let’s hope for progress toward our client next!

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m guessing the Mac client bug that won’t allow people to buy gems is at the top of their list of Mac client bugs to work on.

Anet Mac Beta Client Bug to Do List:

1. Fix bug to allow Mac client users buy gems.
  2. What Mac client?
The Burninator

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Can people who have this error try opening up Disk Utility and repairing permissions?
I’m just curious if it might help. I would test it myself but after having purchased a whole lot of additional character slots a while ago I’m not planning on spending gems for a little while xD.

JustTrogdor.7892

Some in this thread have said they tried that as it was part of Kyllaa’s trouble shooting tip and it didn’t work. It’s step 2 in her instructions and as she filed a ticket it seems it didn’t work for her either.

The Burninator

Kyllaa.1385

I did that already and everything else I list for fixes. I went through the whole routine myself to be certain. I walked a friend through as well as received feedback from another player on here. So no, it didn’t work. I did what I could, even poked around the config file and the contents of the app file with nothing feasible to work out.

We’re just stuck waiting for the billing maintenance team to figure out what they broke or figure out why the cider port hates what they “fixed” lol. And maybe they’ll get a patch to us that won’t… Break… anything else. Lol, I’m just hoping it’s soon, it would be nice to see a Mac bug fixed (any Mac bug) in a timely manner.

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Hey guys – I’m sure some of you have already heard through the ticketing system but just confirming that this is a known issue and is being actively investigated. At this time the only “workaround” would be to make purchases with a Windows machine if you have access to one (also includes running in Bootcamp). Additionally, you could also purchase Gem Cards from retailers such as Best Buy and Game Stop in the meantime.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you all but I appreciate your patience as we look into this issue.

FlamingFoxx.1305

“is being actively investigated”

Everyday you still have this error on the mac client, everyday you lose impulse purchases of gems. Last night I was going to spend $50. I got a “type”: “orderModel:error”

I mean if you were running a subscription model that wouldn t be that much of a problem but here you are actually losing money by not having this ingame system working on that client.

Yes and they are looking in to how to fix it. They are windows developers and the game is being run through a cider wrapper. Try and understand that it might take them a little bit of time to figure out what is causing the issue and how to fix it, they may even be waiting on communication from Transgaming, we simply don’t know.

Thanks for the update Ashley, it’s great to know that the issue is on your radar

Posted by: Bellefon.1259

Bellefon.1259

Actually, I’m unclear why Anet doesn’t just sell gem card codes.

Anet already has a web-enabled shop that sells a variety of items, like mice, headphones, the soundtrack, stuffed animals, etc. They even sell the digital edition of their own game. Why not sell gems directly through their own shop, for digital instant delivery, rather than going to a third-party vendor and waiting for gem cards to ship? After all, web shopping is platform- and browser-independent for the most part.

Posted by: Bistouri.6038

Bistouri.6038

You realize of course that gems can be bought for gold, which, er… you know.

27" iMac, 3.4 GHz Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, OS 10.10.1

Kyllaa.1385

Some peeps buy gems to buy gold lol.

Posted by: Aigisthos.3059

Aigisthos.3059

Will you guys be keeping items such as the Consortium Sickle and other such temp items on the store until you guys can fix this or are we fresh out of luck? Went on to purchase one tonight only to find this thread. lol

(sidenote: I just about had a heart attack when I saw that a mod had posted in these forums. Here’s hoping things start to change for the better now. crosses fingers)

FlamingFoxx.1305

Will you guys be keeping items such as the Consortium Sickle and other such temp items on the store until you guys can fix this or are we fresh out of luck? Went on to purchase one tonight only to find this thread. lol

(sidenote: I just about had a heart attack when I saw that a mod had posted in these forums. Here’s hoping things start to change for the better now. crosses fingers)

They wont extend the availability just because mac users are unable to purchase it. We’re a very small portion of the player base and they’ve been rather adamant about not extending the time on anything. The only exception was the Southsun scavenger hunt which was extended by a day because the entire thing was so full of bugs it wasn’t funny.

Posted by: Bellefon.1259

Bellefon.1259

The problem is related to purchasing gems in-game on Mac Beta, but I think it may be possible to buy and load gems into your account using physical gem cards ordered from third-party vendors, depending on your location, and feasibility of shipping.

But I’m not sure — can anyone confirm this by actually having done it?

Posted by: TASondaMiX.9546

TASondaMiX.9546

Yep same error for me. Mac user… can’t buy gems. Would like to. But can’t. Very frustrating….

Kyllaa.1385

Still awaiting a fix or even news about the investigation into the matter. Le sigh.

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Sorry guys – I can understand this must definitely be frustrating. We’re still poking the other departments about this issue and they’re still working like House Elves trying to get this back in order. No updates yet

Once we have some sort of fix I will let you guys know as soon as I can!

(edited by Ashley Segovia.8276)

Kyllaa.1385

Thanks for keeping us informed Ashley, it’s very much appreciated.

Posted by: xaosmonkey.4210

xaosmonkey.4210

Can’t purchase gems via Mac client either through Paypal OR Credit Card. Getting quite frustrated. Get this fixed or come up with a work-around. It would seem this should qualify as a priority since you are losing money every day it is down.

JustTrogdor.7892

Can’t purchase gems via Mac client either through Paypal OR Credit Card. Getting quite frustrated. Get this fixed or come up with a work-around. It would seem this should qualify as a priority since you are losing money every day it is down.

First thank you Ashley for taking the time to review this forum and supply some response to our concerns. That being said here is her response as to work around:

Hey guys – I’m sure some of you have already heard through the ticketing system but just confirming that this is a known issue and is being actively investigated. At this time the only “workaround” would be to make purchases with a Windows machine if you have access to one (also includes running in Bootcamp). Additionally, you could also purchase Gem Cards from retailers such as Best Buy and Game Stop in the meantime.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you all but I appreciate your patience as we look into this issue.

The Burninator

Kyllaa.1385

The Mac client isn’t necessarily a priority xaos.

JustTrogdor.7892

It may just be with the Paypal option right now but there might be something in the works. I decided to test it a few minutes ago. I didn’t get the error after putting in my information, address etc. that I have been getting. The procede to Paypal screen comes up now but the button is greyed out and cannot be clicked. This may be a sign of some sort of progress toward resolving the issue.

The Burninator

Kyllaa.1385

That would be awesome!

xaosmonkey.4210

Trog – The issue for me is not isolated to the paypal option and the software ‘hanging’ is no indication of fixes in the works.

I can confirm as of this posting Gem Purchases are still not working using Paypal OR Credit card in my Mac client.

Kyllaa, If Anet isn’t willing to address an issue that is losing them money, you must be right, Mac Client issues are of no importance.

JustTrogdor.7892

Trog – The issue for me is not isolated to the paypal option and the software ‘hanging’ is no indication of fixes in the works.

I can confirm as of this posting Gem Purchases are still not working using Paypal OR Credit card in my Mac client.

Kyllaa, If Anet isn’t willing to address an issue that is losing them money, you must be right, Mac Client issues are of no importance.

Oh I was just brining it up since I noticed a change from getting the error message when choosing Paypal to it actually opening the window. As I mentioned the window still didn’t allow to complete the process. I thought maybe it was a clue that some work was being done. It’s hard to tell because they tell us very little/nothing about what is going on.

At this point even if it allows to confirm the purchase I would still be leery that there may be a bug between them getting paid and gems being delivered to the account. I’m not going to beta test that one.

The Burninator

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Previous

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Next

Hi, everyone. We’ve enabled a change that should fix the problem preventing you all from purchasing gems.

We apologize that you all were unable to complete those purchases and thank you all for your understanding while the team worked to resolve it.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

JustTrogdor.7892

Hi, everyone. We’ve enabled a change that should fix the problem preventing you all from purchasing gems.

We apologize that you all were unable to complete those purchases and thank you all for your understanding while the team worked to resolve it.

That’s great news Regina. I was hoping I could get that new horn to play before it went away. Thank you for letting us know it works now as this should make many here happy. Any word an what else is going on with the Mac client? Many of us are eager to hear any kind of news related to it even if it isn’t necessarily good news.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Kyllaa.1385

Thanks a ton for the update Regina. And exactly what Trog said, we’re eager for any news on te Mac side

We just want to be in the know!

Posted by: capnjosh.8925

capnjosh.8925

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Well I was all excited but it did not work for me still cant purchase, same error message.

Kyllaa.1385

Scroll to the top of this page and try step 4 once more. Please post back if that helped.

Posted by: capnjosh.8925

capnjosh.8925

Oh YAY! that worked.

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Hey guys this issue should now be resolved. If any of you are still getting this error please let me know!

Posted by: Gasparde.9806

Gasparde.9806

I’m no longer getting the above mentioned problem, but instead “Payment approval failed” while trying with my cc. Never had any problems paying anywhere else online before, but just got GW2 a couple of days ago (while all this time I’ve had the error mentioned earlier), so I haven’t been able to buy gems before either, so to speak.
Suggestions?

Kyllaa.1385

You could double check that you entered all details correctly (especially security code, card #, exp date), but you may need to call your cc company and make sure they aren’t denying it due to “suspicious activity”… Not that they should, but that’s always an off chance possibility.

xaosmonkey.4210

confirmed on my end. Seamless paypal transactions once again.
Nicely done, thanks!

Posted by: shima.1640

shima.1640

I’m still getting the error for cards or for paypal I did all the steps listed on top and none of this fixed it for me….

Any suggestions?

Kyllaa.1385

Which error are you receiving specifically? Or you can post a screenshot of the error as long as no personal info is displayed.

Posted by: shima.1640

shima.1640

If I try PayPal I get this:
{
“type” : “stepExternalIntro:error”
}

If I try credit card I get this:
{
“error” : “parse”,
“type”: “orderModel:error”
}

I went through all your steps and it still gives me the errors.

I can screen shot prove this later this afternoon if you like, I’m running out the door to go to the gym at the moment. Thanks!