Extremely low fps - reasonable specs (IMO)

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Thirstee.9803

Thirstee.9803

Currently i am only getting 10-20fps(averaging 15) in everypart of the map i’m in, here are the specs:
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo 2.20ghz
RAM: 4.00 GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 220M 1GB
Windows 7 64bit

I have already lowered of turned of the graphics settings in the game menu, it would be awesome if someone could give me some tips or anything that could possibbly fix this. (:

(edited by Thirstee.9803)

Posted by: Maudlin.8652

Maudlin.8652

I think you are getting normal FPS for your setup. Only thing you can do is try to close as many processes as possible before starting GW2.

Posted by: Mashable.5403

Mashable.5403

Or, you can try out Razer Game Booster and see how it works for you.

War does not determine who is right – only who is left. — Bertrand Russell

Posted by: kaioshade.7682

kaioshade.7682

The Core 2 Duo line of processors are getting a bit long in the tooth. Guild Wars 2 performance is influenced heavily by CPU performance. Upgrading to the Core i3, i5, or i7 will yield a significant boost to FPS, as well as getting a upgraded graphics card. A core i5 with a 560 ti can do very well with this game and yield 60 fps in most PvE areas.

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

Both of your CPU and GPU are weak.

But your GT220M is very weak. It is about the same level as intel’s HD 3000 GPU which is the bare minimum requirement for GW2.

I have a Core2 Q6600 overclocked to 3.2 and its able to get 40-60FPS in normal PVE questing.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

(edited by kirito.4138)

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

Your CPU is indeed weak as people has stated but in your case as you are at lowest graphics settings it is highyly likely your GPU is ur main issue.

The 220 is a low end media card that also happens to be old now..media cards are not meant for gaming. In addition to this its a m series designed for laptops which means they are weaker than the Desktop versions.
Normaly i would advise upgrading just the graphics card for now so you can play PVE smoother. But since ur runnign a laptop your only option is to buy a new laptop or better yet build a Desktop since it will be cheaper.

Things you could tweek are pritty much limited to what has already been said by above posters.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: Nitro.4732

Nitro.4732

If I am not mistaken Thirstee.9803 is using a Laptop not a desktop (GT220M = Mobile GPU). If this is the case then advising an upgrade on the graphics chip is the wrong course of action in my opinion.

CoolerMaster Masterbox 5 | H110i | AMD Ryzen R7 1800x 4.0GHz | 32GB DDR4
512GB Samsung 950pro | 2TB SATA-3 | AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

SolarNova.1052

Nitro only 1 person here mentioned upgrading as a sugestion..likely becouse he didnt notice it was a laptop

even still ..ur right

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: thefounder.2074

thefounder.2074

Currently i am only getting 10-20fps(averaging 15) in everypart of the map i’m in, here are the specs:
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo 2.20ghz
RAM: 4.00 GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 220M 1GB
Windows 7 64bit

I have already lowered of turned of the graphics settings in the game menu, it would be awesome if someone could give me some tips or anything that could possibbly fix this. (:

ewww i wouldnt run my clock radio off that…

exaggerating of course… but thats seriously weak for gaming. youre lucky to get 10-20.

Posted by: skinnyb.5920

skinnyb.5920

i have nearly the same specs as OP and am getting awful FPS too.

i’m building a new PC with an i5-3570 @ 3.4, 8gb of ram, and my old GPU, a Raedon 5570.

will i be able to wvw without bogging down to 5fps? :/

i know my old gpu isn’t the best but i’m trying to save money until i can afford to get a better one.

SolarNova.1052

Skinnyb

So long as you can OC that 3570k to 4.3ghz or above you should be able to handle WvW with somwhere in the region of 30fps being the lowest you go, asuming your graphics card doesnt bottleneck first.

You would need a good aftermarket cooler to do it though. At the least a Evo 212 air cooler, most a Noctua NH-D14 air cooler. If you want to go water cooling start at the Corsair H100.

(edited by SolarNova.1052)

Posted by: Thirstee.9803

Thirstee.9803

alright thanks guys, i never realised how bad my specs were i thought they were ‘reasonable’ because i could run mw3 on native and have smooth gameplay, or does it just require less to run mw3…

(edited by Thirstee.9803)

SolarNova.1052

Alot less i would say ..specialy on the CPU side of things.

The only other game that takes as much performance form the CPU as GW2 ..well maybe not as much ..but enough. .is MWO (MechWarrior Online) ..since old Core 2 Duo’s/Quads/Extremes, 1st gen intel i processors, and many AMD’s seem to strugle a bit with it ..not to the extent we see in GW2 WvW ..but enough.

(edited by SolarNova.1052)

Posted by: Phantolino.5083

Phantolino.5083

I have similar problems with OP, i would appreciate any help/suggestions. My specs are:

-Dual-Core E5800 @ 3.20GHz
-8GB RAM
-ATI HD7850
-Kingston HyperX SSD
-Corsair TX650 PSU
-24" Monitor (playing @ 1920×1680 resolution)

I recently bought HD7850 to replace my old HD5700 but i didnt see much improvement. My framerate (even if i cap it) isnt stable and that causes annoying hiccups, even worse when i turn my character around – my FPS in big cities or PVP/big dungeons drops sometimes under 20. This happens everywhere even with low graphic settings.

My CPU temperatures are 62c in graphicly heavy areas and my GPUs around 42c. My system is clean (fresh install) and im using the latest catalyst drivers.

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

because you’re cpu(s) are holding you back.

Posted by: tota.4893

tota.4893

-Dual-Core E5800 @ 3.20GHz

I recently bought HD7850 to replace my old HD5700 but i didnt see much improvement. My framerate (even if i cap it) isnt stable and that causes annoying hiccups, even worse when i turn my character around – my FPS in big cities or PVP/big dungeons drops sometimes under 20. This happens everywhere even with low graphic settings.

That CPU is a huge bottleneck for this game. I have an E8400 overclocked to 3.6 GHz and my GeForce 560 Ti barely makes a noise at 1920×1200 unless I enable supersampling. In most areas I get 45-60 FPS, but the framerate is very unstable. In large events (and some other random locations), the framerate drops to unplayable levels.

The graphics settings only seem useful for scaling the game down to weak laptop GPUs; except for reflections/shadows they don’t really do anything about the real CPU performance killer — the engine’s abysmal performance with large numbers of characters doing stuff. The animation system or something like that must be really CPU heavy.

I get it, it’s an MMO and the devs can’t control what goes on all the time.

But, even in places where such control is possible (like dungeons), performance engineering seems to have been ignored. For example, most of the fractal dungeons run at 50+ FPS on this computer. The Urban Battlegrounds fractal runs at about 5-10 FPS. Which one’s the intended performance level? Some performance/complexity guidelines should really be introduced before they make more dungeons.

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

the particle system in this game absolutely destroys framerates in certain area’s, and its not because of weak gpu’s.

Posted by: Phantolino.5083

Phantolino.5083

Thanks for the replies guys, i guess updating my rig is the only way to go.