FOV (Field of View) Changes Beta Test - Feedback Thread

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Hynaru.1085

Hynaru.1085

Big improvement, I took screens in an area with easily identifiable borders so you can see the difference clearly.
First pic with beta FOV, second one without.

Attachments:

Posted by: Celery.2461

Celery.2461

This is godly. Getting some slight jittering when in Lion’s Arch around a lot of people now though. Previously had no performance issues at all.

Posted by: Nooka.8390

Nooka.8390

Can’t get this to work in Windows 8. Anyone else have this problem?

Posted by: ConfusedDave.4271

ConfusedDave.4271

This has made a nice positive difference, even on my 4:3 screen. Thumbs up!

Now can you please let me move the camera height up a little, so I can see more than just my large Asuran head/back when trying to look up! (See screenshot – it’s slightly better with the improved FoV, but still not great. Failing that, just making my character go transparent sooner in the process and to a greater degree would help :-)

Attachments:

Posted by: alcolica.8974

alcolica.8974

is good but it is not enough

Posted by: kitsuneKyo.6824

kitsuneKyo.6824

it makes me so incredibly happy to see that you are listening to the community that much. unfortunately i’m not in my flat this weekend and cant test this. but what i’ve seen from screenshots in this thread it is an excellent improvement.

I would really like a slider for adjustment and increase the max FOV just a little bit. i think this draws you way more into the game. its all about framing.

thank you so much

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

Regarding vertical position.

So seeing as this is a feedback thread, can we get some idea if you plan to put in a vertical slider to go with this on proper release?.
—-
So we can have this.
The top pics are zoomed in/out defaults of what we have now with the new FoV, as you can see – we can see a lot of the ground (more so on the zoomed out shots).

In the bottom pics i’ve made a mock up of what it would be like if we could adjust the up/down position (vertical slider) by around 1inch which is very similar to the amount we can already do the left/right (horizontal slider). As you can clearly see (again more so on the zoomed out shot) this is much better, we can see much more sky area which would be great for big enemies/bosses and just general good viewing.
—-
Now on the zoomed in shots it’s not really a huge issue (all though i do think it’s much better), but on the zoomed out shots it would be a massive help indeed (more so on certan races).

If you’d prefer me to start another thread on this just let me know.

Attachments:

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

(edited by MajorMelchett.6042)

Posted by: Gaurvaeth Laegrim.6945

Gaurvaeth Laegrim.6945

I like it!!! :-)

Posted by: Malvictus.5213

Malvictus.5213

I just applied this and got a BSOD less than a min after logging in.

Edit: Please disregard, seems the latest ATI drivers are bad. I developed artifacts etc after the BSOD and this was rectified with a driver rollback.

(edited by Malvictus.5213)

Posted by: Kailinxa.9135

Kailinxa.9135

I love it! Thanks Anet, keep up the good work.

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

Any way to try this on a Mac?

Posted by: Nukeyak.1786

Nukeyak.1786

Much improved, thanks Anet!

Posted by: Wesley.4590

Wesley.4590

Works for me! First picture is the before shot, second picture is the after shot. A first person mode would also be great but this is really a good start.

Attachments:

Posted by: Lithos.9560

Lithos.9560

So far I think that it is wonderful, but I still think there should be a FOV slider so players can adjust it to their liking.

Posted by: Nezacant.5629

Nezacant.5629

Can’t get this to work in Windows 8. Anyone else have this problem?

I am running windows 8. It is working for me.

Posted by: UnDeadFun.5824

UnDeadFun.5824

A nice improvement, however a slider would be even better. Thank you for all the hard work.

Nezacant.5629

Fantastic! Thank you for this! Working great on a 5870 Crossfire setup running Win 8. Possible slight dip in FPS but I would need to run benchmarks to confirm.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ten.8421

Ten.8421

I am playing on 1920×1080, with a GTX570 and an AMD Phenom II X4 at 3.2 GHz, with my graphic settings on near maximum (only native sampling instead of supersampling).

- it works without problems
- it’s a substantial improvement
- the performance drop is so negligible for me, I’m not even sure it’s because of the FoV, or simply because of how many people are on right now

That said, this is only a first step, please do not rest on your laurels. The camera still needs to be higher, still needs to have better collision behaviour, and ego-perspective is still indispensable.

Thank you for starting to work on it.

Gamut Gaming Group [GGG], an inclusive non-oppression, non-prejudice, non-normativity group.

Posted by: Roquen.4523

Roquen.4523

1920 × 1080 27" Monitor. Looks fantastic!

As a male Norn who enjoys JPs, my monitor and I thank you for this wonderful change!

Posted by: Noxious.5431

Noxious.5431

This is such a huge improvement. Thank you!

Nezacant.5629

It also made a huge difference in Eyefinity. 6048×1080.

Attachments:

Posted by: Boo.5743

Boo.5743

Really liking the FoV enhancement. Playing at 2560×1600 (16:10) on Nvidia GTX 670.

Still hoping for first-person view, and elimination of camera bounce and interaction with obstacles at some point in the future.

before & after (reduced to half size)

Attachments:

Posted by: fullpint.8390

fullpint.8390

Oh my god – I can SEE!

Posted by: kuroioni.3147

kuroioni.3147

Hello

My PC: Phenom II X4 955 (3.2 gzh), 4 GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1333 mhz, Nvidia Palit GTX 460 2GB, 1920×1080 rez @ 22" screen.

I love it! Love it, love it, love it!

Everything works like a charm, no errors, no weird clipping (besides the usual camera issues :p). There is the slightest drop in FPS (that’s why you should put an FoV slider in the options – so people with lower end rigs can adjust this themselves), however this is really a minor drop and overall the pros out weight that by whole light years.

Regarding vertical position.

So seeing as this is a feedback thread, can we get some idea if you plan to put in a vertical slider to go with this on proper release?.
—-
So we can have this.
The top pics are zoomed in/out defaults of what we have now with the new FoV, as you can see – we can see a lot of the ground (more so on the zoomed out shots).

In the bottom pics i’ve made a mock up of what it would be like if we could adjust the up/down position (vertical slider) by around 1inch which is very similar to the amount we can already do the left/right (horizontal slider). As you can clearly see (again more so on the zoomed out shot) this is much better, we can see much more sky area which would be great for big enemies/bosses and just general good viewing.
—-
Now on the zoomed in shots it’s not really a huge issue (all though i do think it’s much better), but on the zoomed out shots it would be a massive help indeed (more so on certan races).

If you’d prefer me to start another thread on this just let me know.

I agree, we do need a way to see more of the sky and less of the ground. Also, since my character is Asura, when I want to look at the sky I end up with the… back of my character taking almost all of the screen. This must be fixed.

Also, the first person view. You made this beautiful game, please let us enjoy all the views!

A summary:

- new FoV works, looks and feels wonderful,
- the slightest FPS drop in areas like LA (totally worth it though!),
- implement it as a slider/option, so that lower end rig users can adjust the FoV/performance ratio themselves,
- work on a way to move camera so that we see more of the sky and way less of the ground (and can look up without shoving camera up our character’s… backs),
- First Person View!

That’s all. Thank you for listening to us!
Love ya guys :D

edit

It’s better, but we absolutely need

2) the possibility to adjust the VERTICAL POSITION of the camera.

http://i.imgur.com/92Gms.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/i7VYq.jpg

These screens are exactly what I meant with ‘more sky, less ground’! It’s just adjusting the vertical position of the camera a bit (like on the second screen) and it makes such a difference!

(edited by kuroioni.3147)

Posted by: ulukaiulukai.2584

ulukaiulukai.2584

It’s better, but we absolutely need

1) a FoV slider (with a higher max value!)
2) the possibility to adjust the VERTICAL POSITION of the camera.

http://i.imgur.com/92Gms.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/i7VYq.jpg

Posted by: Soir.4167

Soir.4167

I can’t use my mouse with this beta cam. In fact, I can’t clic or select. Back to the old cam.

I have Windows 7 64 bit, and a Logitech G700 mouse.

Posted by: Lithos.9560

Lithos.9560

Arena Net, this is truly amazing. Your game is now on par with all the other great MMORPG’s, so please don’t change this now lol…

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

Also, since my character is Asura, when I want to look at the sky I end up with the… back of my character taking almost all of the screen. This must be fixed.

The most logical way to fix this issue is to make it so if your camera every gets this close the character becomes fully transparent.

So playing normally would look normal, then if you look up and the camera does it’s usual getting right behind the character, your character then becomes invisible on your screen so it doesn’t disrupt the view – i’ve seen a few games do this.

I’d love the hear Anets take on this aswell as the vertical ground/sky issue.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

It is a small step for some, but a giant leap for the game. Thanks so much!!!!

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I just love you guys for this. Seriously, it’s what i’ve been begging for since game release. All we need now is a tick box or slider so people can choose what’s best for them. (this is best for me).

Thank you!

Posted by: Cyga.1246

Cyga.1246

New FOV is really good. Great job AN!

Posted by: Natai.9840

Natai.9840

Definitely an improvement for me!
I agree that this should be a selectable option though.

And please give us the option to zoom into a first-person like view! A must have for screenshots of the world!

Posted by: Chamomile.8714

Chamomile.8714

This is exactly what I’ve been waiting for, excellent. I do agree with most others though, that there should be an option for turning it on or off or a slider that you can set to maximum distance away from the character etc. Otherwise I’d say great job.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Yeap a +1 to this.

A nice added touch.

Keep em coming Anet.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Nihilius.7123

Nihilius.7123

I actually applied this but, the camera is either too far away or too close whereas in the normal FOV it is much better. I am on 1600×900 and I have no problem with the current FOV in the game. It just seems like they added more view distance to each zoom distance (Scroll Wheel notch) . I also see a slight loss in graphics quality when using the new FOV.

Please make this an option as some people like me do not want to use the new FOV setting.

Posted by: Demilikos.9623

Demilikos.9623

I’ve been hoping for this to be a feature since the betas. It almost seems like a no-brainer. The wider FOV allows us the appreciate the world more. Makes the game more epic. Also, makes the game feel more like Guild Wars 1 as well, and gives the illusion your area of effect and run speed is further and faster. I hope this makes it into the game. I’m having no problems myself.

Posted by: Nihilius.7123

Nihilius.7123

Everything at the edge looks stretched and horrible.

Posted by: AlienMagi.7102

AlienMagi.7102

This is amazing, thanks anet, keep up the awesome work!

Posted by: AmusingMoniker.3560

AmusingMoniker.3560

Well my initial feelings logging into the FoV beta client was mixed. Yes I really enjoyed the vertical FoV, it was easier on my eyes and the only time I noticed a fish eye effect is on a completely flat surface (which is hard to find) and it was so mild that if I wasn’t specifically looking for it I wouldn’t have noticed (I do tend to focus on the middle of the screen). I don’t think the art suffered at all.

On the other hand I don’t like how much more visible ground cover is behind my character and her head is still dead center and makes me want to peer over/around it to see what’s going on. After looking at different camera zooms and angles I decided that I will most definetly continue to play the FoV Beta client and will try the shoulder slider that I previously ignored (I’d have preferred a vertical slider or better yet moving my chars feet closer to the skill bar) due to my preference for being able to see over my characters head, not through it.

As others have mentioned FPS “issues” I’ll say I did notice a mild drop only when other players were around (about 5-10 depending on the number). The players have been loading late, but they’re in Pistol range. Honestly I’d rather keep the FoV, I think the FPS is my outdated computer that I have to deal with.

And as great as I think this change is I really hope that collision issues will be the next priority. Once I discover a specific area I can try to avoid it but getting too close to stumps, fences and especially walls can trip me up because all I can see is a jumping (for lack of a better term) texture.

Edit: I’m playing on a 24" LCD @ 1920×1200, Geforce 440 GT don’t know if you want/need any other specs for research.

(edited by AmusingMoniker.3560)

Posted by: Deificus.5864

Deificus.5864

I use Eyefinity on three monitors.

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/guild-wars-2/en

Expand “Additional In-Game Screenshots”. Compare and contrast with Surround.

Fix what you see there, and get back to me. Until then, your game is going to retain that inglorious single-monitor shine and not a peep of describing how awesome this game is to my friends.

(edited by Deificus.5864)

Posted by: KrogerCard.3851

KrogerCard.3851

i tried it and didnt notice anything. i’m still staring at the ground half the time wth? while we are on the subject of floors and cameras, has a dev ever played a non-melee asura in CM dungeon? try it then ragequit.

Posted by: Nozdromu.5201

Nozdromu.5201

I really like it. It helps me to track even more things that are happening around me. (mainly SPvP) Keep up the good work.

Posted by: RLD.7439

RLD.7439

This. Is. fantastic.

Who do I give the love too? Who finally gave the go ahead on this? I have no love for JP but I’m giving hugs to whoever else is responsible <3 hugs

While this is most definitely a step in the right direction, let’s keep it moving forward. The improvement made so far is a welcome change for sure. But I still seem to be seeing a lot of the ground. Also taking screenshots without the character in the way is another issue.

To those involved, thank you for your efforts thus far

Everyone of these multi monitor screenshots look awful. Who can play with it looking so bad on the sides?

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.” -CS

Posted by: feliciafasse.2510

feliciafasse.2510

good stuff, definitely a keeper for me

Posted by: RLD.7439

RLD.7439

As far as performance is concerned, I’ve had no major negative effects thus far. FPS difference hovers around ~5 this is completely acceptable in my book.

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.” -CS

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

A very welcome addition!

Some suggestions however to consider adding:

1. Center position to the head instead of the back.
2. Allow zoom to firstperson perspective.

Thanks!

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: Raap.9065

Raap.9065

Great improvement, and at the most crowded area in Lions Arch, only a 2~FPS loss.

Personally, I’d prefer the FOV to be just a little bit higher than this, but, right now it is already a MASSIVE improvement over the previous tunnel-vision FOV.

A vertical camera position slider also won’t hurt, as other people mentioned.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

Posted by: ashen.2108

ashen.2108

"
This is a great start, now finish the job!

- point the camera at the HEAD instead of the center of the back
(so we’re not staring at the ground when zoomed out, and our backs when zoomed in)

- allow people to zoom to first person.
(so we can enjoy the game without breaking the eula)

(edited October 27, 2012 04:36 by tlaloc.1280)
"

seriously ,,,, my camera is amed at my waist .. its maddning , either let us set the camrea position up down left right <if daoc could do it 10 years ago im sure a net can > this should in no way make things unfair for any one or creat exploits or what ever , if u dont want to do that please make the head the center < line of sight is posiitioned on the head ?>

looks pretty good though , a little wider would be better

(edited by ashen.2108)

Posted by: tyu.9470

tyu.9470

This fov is a big change! really happy with this change but you know what would make me happier?

http://i45.tinypic.com/f0992p.jpg

THIS!… (my camera was bugged for a while like this..and i loved every single second of that)

Posted by: Steffen.4275

Steffen.4275

I tested the new setting and compared both (all pictures with 1920×1080 and full zoom out):

Before:
http://sh2606.bplaced.net/old%20fov.jpg

After:
http://sh2606.bplaced.net/new%20fov.jpg

Comparison:
http://sh2606.bplaced.net/comparison.jpg

For the comparison image I scaled down the screenshot of the old FOV and placed it with 50% opacity over the pic of the new FOV. I calculated the resulting FOV increase, which is approximately 48%.

Performance:
I lost just one FPS with the new setting, but the CPU load (on a quadcore CPU, overall measure) increased by approximately 10%.
Camera movement is a little more laggy, too.

My opinion:
It is a good improvement, you can see much more, which can be life-saving in WvW and other situations, although some performance study should be done. Perhaps it would be better, if the player could modify the corresponding values via a slider, so everyone can adjust it to their needs.
Also I would appreciate a first person view.

(edited by Steffen.4275)