FOV (Field of View) Changes Beta Test - Feedback Thread

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Madjohn.1624

Madjohn.1624

Very strange thing happened to me today. I was playing on the Sylvary’s 1-15 lvl zone and suddenly I were able to de zoom very much more than before… (nothing to do with FoV beta test, didn’t knew that this were existing). I dc’ed and later I get back to game and then normal settings of zoom where back…
Don’t know how this could happens, but thing i know is that i loved that (the ability to have high de zoom) , and now I’m really disappointed that it’s gone.
After searches on the net i felt on this post and so i tested beta FoV. It’s a bit better than regular settings, but having the possibility to increase de zoom would be a better option in my opinion.

Posted by: Player.9621

Player.9621

unusual anomaly when on high ground
tabbing in and out fixed it

Attachments:

Posted by: Nuadu.4590

Nuadu.4590

Very strange thing happened to me today. I was playing on the Sylvary’s 1-15 lvl zone and suddenly I were able to de zoom very much more than before… (nothing to do with FoV beta test, didn’t knew that this were existing). I dc’ed and later I get back to game and then normal settings of zoom where back…
Don’t know how this could happens, but thing i know is that i loved that (the ability to have high de zoom) , and now I’m really disappointed that it’s gone.
After searches on the net i felt on this post and so i tested beta FoV. It’s a bit better than regular settings, but having the possibility to increase de zoom would be a better option in my opinion.

Same here. I would LOVE to have this zoom out bug a permanent option.
Of course there are glitches involved, like the camera going through the ceiling sometimes, it was just not meant to go that far.

But i don’t care, at least a -command like the one for verticalview would be nice. Pretty pretty please?^^

Attachments:

(edited by Nuadu.4590)

Posted by: Lorraine.2104

Lorraine.2104

The FOV feature is great, but even more wonderful is the increased zoom out distance from doing the Mad King Dungeon. As a ranger in wvwvw, it makes a huge difference, especially when taking keeps, as I can see the top of the ramparts and see if I’m standing in any red circles. I beg you Arenanet, for the sake of all Tyria, keep this fantastic zoom development!

Posted by: Edward Stryder.5706

Edward Stryder.5706

My gaming/desktop resolution is 2560×1600 and this is the best update by far. I can see everything so much better now, thank you and you should roll this out to everyone. I don’t have screen shots but prior to this update I could barely zoom out far enough to view my entire max height norn on the screen with this I can zoom far enough out to make him look an asura.

Posted by: legendary angelis rowan.2354

legendary angelis rowan.2354

I like this fov. I wish i can zoom out more lol. 1st person view as an option will be nice too^^

Posted by: Freedomgirl.9672

Freedomgirl.9672

While I think it’s great that Anet is listening to the players and adjusting the FOV, from my play experience so far it hasn’t reduced the eye strain and headace (motion sickness) associated with the camera.

IMO, as someone who experiences these symptoms a majority of playtimes, the problem lies in the camera constantly zooming in and out of your character whenever you encounter an object, instead of staying in a more fixed position and simply fading out the wall, foliage, etc, that you are in close proximity to.

I’d love it if you could make some kind of change to this, because I REALLY like this game but hate the discomfort it causes.

Anyone else agree?

Posted by: shrewd.5319

shrewd.5319

This improves the FOV. But using this fix gives me huge lag. Please fix.

Posted by: Ix Chel.3074

Ix Chel.3074

I’m very much liking the FOV changes. As someone who almost never uses the mouse, could I suggest that the camera adjust to what you’d be "looking at" when you’ve got gradiants up/down hills? Just as I turn my character right/left, the camera follows. However, the same respect isn’t given to the up/down angle as you move along hills... it’s exceptionally irritating. Looking at the ground/sky is seldom useful. You want to see the terrain in front of you.

As for the second suggestion, I’d prefer a way to turn up/down when under water. Currently you have to use the mouse for this... it’s painful.

Thank you. Lovely, lovely game.

Posted by: Pathfinder.4236

Pathfinder.4236

Was not able to sell or buy on the trading post while testing the FOV change.

Posted by: Silvri.1273

Silvri.1273

I find that this improves my experience greatly, the ground now takes up less of the screen, the max zoom-out level is increased, and I can see more of the higher up scenery, giving me a renewed appreciation for art I didn’t see as much of before. This, or something very similar should be permanent.

Posted by: Raap.9065

Raap.9065

Regarding the zoom out bug from the MK dungeon some people are mentioning: This needs to be fixed. It breaks WvW by allowing people to shoot directly on to walls, and around corners they really couldn’t be able to target without this x2 zoom.

For example: I can place an arrow cart outside a wall, zoom out, and fire directly INTO the keep/tower, over the walls. This is why a higher zoom out range likely never will be added officially, and why this bug should hopefully be gone after the dungeon is removed.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

Posted by: Mank.2183

Mank.2183

Hi, great to see FoV being worked on.

For some reason, the beta is causing some graphics driver conflict and I’m blue screening. Not a huge problem, as I can play without the FoV changes fine, but who can I send a dxdiag and log files to?

Posted by: rezonate.6291

rezonate.6291

Just tested it — excellent progress!

As expected, and as others have said, it improves my gameplay experience, and can appreciate so much more of the world, especially higher-up places (many of which are in LA to enjoy).

Keep up the good work on this change! FOV slider and First Person camera and you’re all done! ;P

Posted by: Kezika.7692

Kezika.7692

There does seem to be a bit of a CPU usage increase that seems to cause a disproportionate decrease in FPS in some areas. All in all though much better playing experience with this new larger field of view available.

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

I play on a 24" monitor with a 16:10 resolution of 1920×1200.

To be honest I wasn’t one of the unlucky people who got sick playing with the old setting, but I have to say the new one feels more natural.

Unless you provide some way to choose between old and new angle (toggle or slider), I vote to keep the new FOV.

Posted by: Drizzzle.5847

Drizzzle.5847

TL,DR: Please give us the option for a FOV closer to that from the Mad King Instance!

After playing some WvW and doing some events with the gliched FOV from the Mad King fight, I must say that I will cry when it goes away. I know that not all people have computers that can handle it. I KNOW it will cause an influx of tech support tickets when idiots insist on the maxed FOV without the hardware to back it up. However, (as stated in a previous post) if you also give them the option to turn off character rendering it should help alleviate some of that.

The bottom line is that with any FOV increase, you are also going to take a performance hit. There is just no way around that. Its simple logic. Asking a computer to render more of a three dimensional world will require more time to do so. This means decreases in FPS. I would make players aware of this. Give them options (like no character rendering or decreasing textures) to offset the increased FOV and keep them closer to a desirable FPS. When all else fails, have that form-letter response ready to go for the tech support staff!

In all seriousness, I implore Arenanet to give us an optional FOV closer to that of the one allowed in the Mad King Instance. It is absolutely amazing to be able to play the game this way.

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

ANet, it’s been said before but PLEEEEEAAAASE move the camera higher. Right now it’s centered on your torso or the center of your character model. This makes you feel trapped and closed in. Not to mention it feels like you character is in the way rather than an avatar of yourself. If you move the center higher to the head it’ll feel much better.

Even with the FOV Beta I find the same issue of the camera position making my character block my view of the beautiful world.

Posted by: Vintovred.2509

Vintovred.2509

When driving in the direction of rotation while holding the camera is right mouse button, have to stop and change to the desired location (high – low). Is it possible to make the camera zoom was possible, and while holding the right mouse button? Sorry for the translation (Google).

Posted by: lvis.3824

lvis.3824

Is there a bug right now ?
I start the game with the cmdline option, but i have to go into the mad kings dungeon to finally enable it !

(edited by lvis.3824)

Posted by: ryuu.6203

ryuu.6203

Greetings,
I had this ‘awesome bug’ on sunday. It was so cool, similar to WoW option. I hope it will be added to option someday

Attachments:

Posted by: Samuraiken.9581

Samuraiken.9581

This is great, however it seems to make my text hard to read. I play at max resolution, and shopping in the TP last night was painful because I could barely read the letters; it’s not that they were too small, but rather it seemed that parts of the letters were missing (so an O would look like a C or U). I’ll try to get a screenshot when I get home from work tonight and post it up.

Posted by: Samuraiken.9581

Samuraiken.9581

Greetings,
I had this ‘awesome bug’ on sunday. It was so cool, similar to WoW option. I hope it will be added to option someday

Indeed, my one major complaint with the FoV was that I couldn’t zoom out a bit to see more.

Posted by: Paule.4560

Paule.4560

SO… MUCH… BETTER…!!!

Posted by: Amargosa.4625

Amargosa.4625

The change is subtle yet noticeable.
I really like it.

Kodash is the place where we meet.

Posted by: Imox.9215

Imox.9215

Thank you, that’s much better!

It would be even better if we could also go to the first person view by scrolling forward, in order to make screenshots without our character on the screen.

Posted by: Fantasma Of Doom.2409

Fantasma Of Doom.2409

If I make a screenshot, log out – apply the code – log back in, will my camera still be the same so I can actually see if it works?

It seems to work but I’m not quite sure

Posted by: hans.7265

hans.7265

Just for your information. The Beta Fov commands changes your FoV which is a good thing in my opinion.
The “bug” from the Mad King Instance raises your Zoom level which is really awesome.
I mean i doenst have to be this far maybe 1-2 scrolls less.
I think many of you in the thread mixing these 2 things up.

Beta FoV = FoV
Mad King “bug” = Zoom Level

Posted by: Beyreva.8769

Beyreva.8769

@Fantasma Of Doom:
No, your camera will not remain in the exact spot/angle if you log off/exit. Just go to a place that provides an easy to reproduce scenario and take two screen-shots.

Here’s an example(attachments):
See how I used the logs to reproduce the same angle/position in both screens? Find something similar.

1st photo is without the FoV Beta.
2nd photo is with the FoV Beta

Notice how you can see more of the logs under my charracter and more of the sky(vertically)? And also the moon that doesn’t show up with the normal FoV(horizontally)?

@Tech guys:
This new FoV is an improvement, but as someone else has pointed out in an earlier post, the vertical FoV still isn’t the same as an 4:3 aspect ratio.
Also the camera’s position(vertically) should be moved a tidy bit higher. Where the character’s head is, or above. As it stands, the camera is focused at the chest and it feels as if the character stands in our(my) way.
A 1st person zoom in would be great!
And lastly, make the FoV a slider, so that people can adjust it to their liking/PC limitations.

Attachments:

Sometimes it’s necessary listening to the silence, it could tell more..

(edited by Beyreva.8769)

Posted by: whipboot.3058

whipboot.3058

This is much, much better. ( i play on a 42" screen at 1920×1080)…although the auto zoom camera tracking still gets confused and could use some attention, imo. But since we’re simply talking about fov here: a much welcomed improvement.

Valess
The Opposition [OPS] http://www.gw2ops.enjin.com

Posted by: Queen Seravat.4217

Queen Seravat.4217

PERFECT!!!!! Much Better

./seravat

Posted by: Zibeset.3249

Zibeset.3249

I agree with some posters. As this FOV is MUCH better for me. Please leave an option for others to turn it off.

Posted by: Aphotic Vanguard.2485

Aphotic Vanguard.2485

Please make this fix permanent. The difference really is quite drastic. Thanks!

Posted by: Veign.8694

Veign.8694

wow so much better. I didnt even know that my FoV was bad. for a screen 1366×768 i can see the change. TY

Posted by: Lighthammer.3280

Lighthammer.3280

Since i don’t use wide screen monitor i don’t see any difference at all.

But what it would matter more if you could put an option to distance camera from char for at least twice as much. I believe that everyone would feel much more happy about that.

Posted by: WarDiver.8320

WarDiver.8320

Is it no work now?

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

It’s definitely an improvement for me on my monitor so thanks for the effort so far. However I still feel like I see too much of the ground at times. Keep at it!

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

My opinion is of the same as everyone else. The difference is massive and positive. I’ve had far less issues with my camera as well in jumping puzzles. The increased vision is also a boon during all types of boss fights.

Posted by: Zamora.2463

Zamora.2463

The higher FOV and more zoomed out camera is nice BUT, please for the love of god, give us an option to move the camera position or camera angle up or down.

When zoomed all the way out, the character is directly in the middle of the screen!
This makes everything you want to see in front of your character cramped in that tiny screen space on top of your character(from your character’s head to top of screen). All that screen space behind your character (from the feet of your character to bottom of screen) is being wasted because I believe 95% of the time, your focus will be in front of your character, not behind.

These are rough estimates but I will try to explain. So 95% of the time, you are looking at the top half part of the screen which is about 50% of the screen. Then subtract the screen space taken up by your target’s hp bar and whatever status they have (which takes up about 15% of the top of the screen) you are left with 35%. So 95% of the time you are fighting, you are staring at only 35% of your screen.

I believe this is the reason why many people are complaining that the game feels cramped.

Posted by: VicViper.5108

VicViper.5108

Really like this change, makes a huge difference in the game. The only problem I’ve noticed with it is there are some times when the camera angels get awkward. There are points, like in the jumping puzzle in Malchor’s Leap, where the scrolled out fov actually moves the camera outside the cave and makes it impossible to see what you’re doing, but on the whole a vast improvement.

Posted by: Bregah.7365

Bregah.7365

I just want to thank you guys for this.

I was able to play GW 2 this past weekend for 3 hours on Saturday and also about 6 on Sunday, and I did NOT have a mild headache all day Monday.

The FOV of GW2 had been causing me a mild headache that I did not initially trace to GW 2 (so all of September I had thought I was coming down with something or had something wrong with me). Only frustration at the DR (before it was changed) and me not playing for a week, and then logging in once the DR penalty was eased (and a sudden return of the mild headaches) was I able to trace the cause to GW2.

The camera itself still seems really bad, but at least the FOV is no longer headache-inducing (for myself and seemingly more than a few others).

Posted by: Anger.3506

Anger.3506

I came here only to post that the increased zoom added by the Mad King event is win.

The biggest improvement to the game so far. Amazing and I appreciate it.

Posted by: elsbeth.3567

elsbeth.3567

It’s nice and more natural, with much more impressive effect in-game than can be discerned in these still shots. I did take a framerate hit of about 5 or so, nothing terrible, but enough to make me think twice about using it in pvp or jumping puzzles. The camera itself remains the main visual issue to me, with the odd angle it is locked on and resultant contant hard clipping, the inability to zoom far out (which would give you the same effect as this FOV thing), and the inability to go first-person view. It’s a surprisingly junky, outdated cam for such a cutting-edge game. A friend of mine theorizes the camera’s ridigity is to prevent exploits in wvw distance vision. (The recent zoom-out bug used as wvw exploit seems to bear that out.) I’d say there are ways to restrict it just there. Give us a decent cam and you’d be doing us a much bigger visual favor. This FOV effect could be optional (and on a slider in a perfect world).

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

Couple of updated pics with the new FoV of what the game could look like with a minor vertical shift in camera.

The 1st and 3rd pics are standard, the 2nd and 4th are adjusted. This is what it could look like with a 1 inch adjustment only.

Attachments:

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Posted by: sablephoenix.1593

sablephoenix.1593

This is much better, but doesn’t go far enough. A 90 degree field of view would be still better. Also, the camera is anchored on your character’s hips; it needs to be anchored to their head. Finally, it would be very nice if we could get a camera like in the first Guild Wars, where we could depress the mousewheel and use that to “slide” the camera in and out, rather than being restricted only to rolling it and getting discreet jumps in or out based on the clicks of the wheel.

Come to think of it, why can’t we just have the Guild Wars 1 camera?

Posted by: MalikiaJenkins.2071

MalikiaJenkins.2071

Hello Arenanet! I appreciate your listening of the players a lot, this change of FOV is a very good idea, the experience e-sport will be better. However it would be possible to insert an option which allows the player to adjust degrees of FOV? Too I find binding for the player PvP but also PvE it is the softening of the camera which slowed down considerably the vision of the player in spite of the increase of the rotation speed. So we could, maybe, add an option activating or deactivating this effect. Another problem saddens me at the level of the camera; when that we approach too much near an element (as a wall for example) of decorations the camera makes collision with this and the vision become very inferior, or when this visibility element of decorations ( As a palm tree, not I speak by a map in particular:D), masks the fight. Let us take an example of “crazy” camera when a character is " bump " against a wall the camera crashes against this wall and the visibility becomes bad and it is very difficult to estimate the situation and to respond. Maybe by allowing the camera “to cross” certain decorations or to make them transparent for the others it would make the experience pvp more pleasant. These problem for me Handicaps strongly the E-sport in guild wars 2 seen the lack of visibility of the fights in certain contexts. However I am satisfied of your change of the FOV which is a step furthermore towards a better E-Sport.

Sorry for my bad english ^^’
-Malikia

Posted by: Archmortal.1027

Archmortal.1027

Running with 1920×1080.

The FoV is noticeably better than what the game started with, however my character is noticeably not centered anymore. I think the new FoV should be put into the game proper so long as the character is centered properly.

I’ve seen other people say this and I agree with them: the camera should still be anchored to the head, not the waist. A person being able to relate to their character’s face more directly will have a subtle but extremely good effect for long-term enjoyment, to say nothing of how the play experience would be improved for everyone, especially Norn/Charr with less of their character’s body blocking their view ahead.

(edited by Archmortal.1027)

Posted by: Shilian.5873

Shilian.5873

Sir…that’s awesome, a whole new game for me!
Thanks for your hard work guys.

Posted by: Shilian.5873

Shilian.5873

Just one thing, yesterday i was able to zoom out much farther than usual…does anyone know how to increase the zoom range? it was absolutely awesome, was almost like diablo3 camera….so amazing…how can i do that again T.T and if it was a bug please devs consider to add that as a feature, it was incredible…i need that..

Posted by: obscurapdx.7860

obscurapdx.7860

Absolutely amazing I can see everything again!

Check out radio obscura at www.obscurapdx.com