fps drop with patch

fps drop with patch

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

I wonder how long it would take to fix this bug if it was not just mac related but for everyone. Within 24 hours :P?

And here are my specs, got a bad case of the 3fps too.
MacBook Pro 15-inch, Early 2011
2,2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

Well lets be fair here. If every system saw a decrease in performance they never would have released it because it would be painfully obvious there was a bug (or several). Additionally, if this was an actual beta (i.e. the devs actually talked to us about what bugs to expect and what areas to test) this wouldn’t be out of the ordinary either.

Best we can do is try to figure it out on our own and hope the devs eventually release a fix.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: defrule.7236

defrule.7236

MBA Mid 2013

Running on lowest settings, WvW was smooth before the update.

After the update, even medium fights lag.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Mbelch.9028

Mbelch.9028

While I’m still getting OK FPS out it zergs, any group of ~20 makes my Mac basically quiver in fear.

Please expedite whatever process there is going on. I have friends who can’t play until this is fixed.

-Nex, [FEAR] Elementalist
https://www.youtube.com/user/GW2FearGaming

fps drop with patch

Posted by: saithira.9037

saithira.9037

Just a note for the macowners, considering they did changes to the rendering engine to speed up AMD hardware and this clashed with the mac client. Its not a trivial fix and not even if they took down the entire nvida series of cards it would still not be solvable within 24 hours. We got an official statement and I hope they keep us in the loop, silence is pretty much the full guarantee of getting angry customers as our fancy new built kindergarten found out as they lost 30% of the kids trying to keep a lid on something and not keep parents updated :P

I’m still at unplayable state for my installation so I watched a few movies this weekend and trying out some other games while I wait for a fix to the renderer so I can start kill people again.

A plee to ANet make sure to keep us updated even if its just a lame post which say sorry not found anything yet so we know whats going on and does not move over to something else in the mean while.

——
Saithira.9037

fps drop with patch

Posted by: mikeew.8607

mikeew.8607

It’s funny they say they support mac and dev’s are working on a fix and that they have mac users in mind and blah blah blah future updates, look back over 6 months ago where people asked about a native client and the response we got from that there was a response along the lines of we are working on information and will let people know and nothing complete silence. I am ok with my forum account being blocked or whatever ridiculous thing that the mods feel like doing. Everyone has an opinion and should be free to voice it. Life and this game are not all cherries and puppy dogs. Sometimes the truth is not a nice thing and thats fixable but this game seems far from that so many patches have been pushed with so little attention to the people that spend hard earned money while playing from a mac go completely ignored. Personally I am just waiting on something better to come along with actual native mac support not a shell or vmware not using crossover or any sort of gimmicky client in that way.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Kioshi.6597

Kioshi.6597

A plee to ANet make sure to keep us updated even if its just a lame post which say sorry not found anything yet so we know whats going on and does not move over to something else in the mean while.

I’ve said this soooooooo many times to them and also requested it trough ticket support but they always say. “We have best interest etc etc. We will only post if we have something new to say” They don’t seem to understand that saying: “We are working on it but it might take longer than we thought” or “We’ve made some progress today” is better than saying nothing.

Since I cannot image that they really think like this I just assume they have very limited people available that work on the mac client from time to time and the communication between the Social group and the mac developers is just not there. Which seems a lot more likely than having a lot of people working on it but never saying a thing about it while customers are becoming more and more frustrated.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Vampirate.7054

Vampirate.7054

IMac med 2010 unplayable on new wvw. gone bad 5 to 7 fps

fps drop with patch

Posted by: haqqa.8194

haqqa.8194

S@#$% $%&!!! S4%^$ S$%%^# !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F###############################K

haven’t been in WvW fights since last week, and short term memory said it might not be as bad as I think; now i feel like breaking everything in my room.

I die in 5secs flat during a slide show.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Ceribis.8104

Ceribis.8104

Yea, it’s really bad. I’ve resorted to rebooting into Windows until this gets fixed. It’s also shedding light onto how poorly Cider performs when I consider how I used to play and how it plays on windows currently.

Keeghan – Sylvari Mesmer – Jade Quarry

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Feydiir.2609

Feydiir.2609

The current performance issue reminds me of the efforts before they released an “official” mac client when people tried to wrap the windows exe with wineskin (which is very nearly identical to how it works with the official version {the mac client is just a CIDER wrapped windows exe – the same one the people on windows use}) they hit a similar issue during the beta when aNet enabled multi threaded DirectX .. at the time there was a command line switch to go back to single threaded use but anet have long since removed that option.

(note this command line option is no longer enabled in the gw2.exe client)

-dx9single
Enabled the Direct3D 9c renderer in single-threaded mode. Solves issues with running in Wine, but may be slower.

Late 2012 iMac – 3.4 GHz i7 – 16 GB – GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB – OSX 10.11

(edited by Feydiir.2609)

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I’ve heard people say that GW2 only uses one processor core, is this true?
I ask because I see this wineserver application that runs whenever GW2 is open and it uses 300% cpu (meaning 3 cores). Am I reading this wrong?

fps drop with patch

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

I’ve heard people say that GW2 only uses one processor core, is this true?
I ask because I see this wineserver application that runs whenever GW2 is open and it uses 300% cpu (meaning 3 cores). Am I reading this wrong?

It uses multiple cores in the cider port version. Standard wine and crossover require the -dx9single option to run where that single core misconception comes from.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Jerry.1893

Jerry.1893

So, just an update. I switched over to boot camp and the improvement was ridiculous! I now run a minimum of 20FPS on ultra settings in full wvw zergs. Sucks that I cant run this in my preferred OS but with this improvement I can’t go back.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

So, just an update. I switched over to boot camp and the improvement was ridiculous! I now run a minimum of 20FPS on ultra settings in full wvw zergs. Sucks that I cant run this in my preferred OS but with this improvement I can’t go back.

Yeah, that’s exactly where I sit as well. But I still really want to see the OSX version improved, and maybe one day the gap in performance might not be so massive.

fps drop with patch

Feydiir.2609

Bootcamp/native windows will always be faster and with more eyecandy since running the game doesnt incur the significant overhead translating directX calls to openGL calls ..

fps drop with patch

Feydiir.2609

Well I don’t have bootcamp on this new iMac and I have no means to install it since I no longer have my old iMac .. so I am locked-in to OSX only for GW2.. (also have no desire to install bootcamp either)

fps drop with patch

Posted by: slimdak.5217

slimdak.5217

New fps drop record : 4fps in fight in WvW ahaha gj!

Slim Dak Beat Maker | Insidious Blink [iNk]
Gunnar’s Hold [EU]

fps drop with patch

Posted by: The Angle of Deth.2985

The Angle of Deth.2985

Oh I’ve got that beat…1 fps at Lyssa…made me dizzy.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Anen.1742

Anen.1742

I don’t have enough space on my SDD to install Windows. kitten MacBook Air. kitten Windows.
And it came to the point where I don’t bother any longer to load WvW, or EotM..

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Wow, I just noticed that when I have GW2 running and I start up VMWare Fusion with Windows 7 it completely lags Windows 7. The OS is running at like a thousandth of the normal speed (this isn’t the first time I’ve had VMWare Fusion running when I had GW2 Mac beta running…was testing something).

So it is seriously messing something up.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: benn.7214

benn.7214

Dear Anet,

As a Mac user a week after the patch,
1. WvW is unplayable
2. EOTM is unplayable
3. Living World Events (Jungle Wurm and Twisted Marionette) are unplayable
4. World Boss Events are unplayable
5. I can no longer participate in Champion Farming
6. I can no longer participate in Guild Missions
7. I can no longer participate in GvGs in Obsidian Sanctum

There is no fps drop in Lion’s Arch though, so I’m guessing the fps drop happens when we are with a large number people who are actually doing something.

Hopefully we get a fix soon so that all mac users can get back to doing the stuff we love in the game. Till then, I guess we have no other choice but to abstain from these events or suffer the unplayable fps

Regards,
Benn

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Lys.8621

Lys.8621

Same happened to me. Hoping will be useful to Anet, I noticed a VERY HIGH MANIFESTATION of this lag in CoE, path3, at the destroyer boss. Unwalkable u.u

Goodluck in fixing this.

Asuran Lys La

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Well I don’t have bootcamp on this new iMac and I have no means to install it since I no longer have my old iMac .. so I am locked-in to OSX only for GW2.. (also have no desire to install bootcamp either)

I can sympathise with your lack of desire to install BootCamp, but you shouldn’t need anything (except Win7 install data) for a BootCamp installation. You can always install it on a new Mac without the need of any other machine.

(edited by Naqaj.6219)

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Xeres The Renowned.3401

Xeres The Renowned.3401

Just wanted to add my voice to these concerns. Having the same issue as others since the last update.

Hope this can be fixed soon so Mac users can enjoy the new content and not miss out on the next living story installment.

@ Gaile: Thank you for keeping us posted. I miss the “frog talks” from Guild Wars

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Dothl Lai.5829

Dothl Lai.5829

Same happened to me. I’ve been getting this drop in fps basically when there are more than 20 people around. It’s like watching powerpoint slides.
1) Large champions event like the Teq or Karka queen is impossible.
2) Wvw is unplayable.
3) CoE P3 destroyer room, lag like hell.
4) Zerg farming is also impossible.

I hope Anet is taking a serious look at this issue and not taking the voices of mac users as jokes. It really hinders my progress of making my legendary, as I need Wvw for the badges and karma T.T

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

at the very least Anet should tell mac users at login that it’s not their computer’s fault they can’t play. forum members are just a small fraction of players.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: JSTEP.7815

JSTEP.7815

How are things progressing with a fix to this? Just watched the preview for the next living story patch and I am really disappointed that I’ll be unable to play it given the current state of the game.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Kioshi.6597

Kioshi.6597

Lets hope they fix it before next patch. It seems like a giant zerk fest in LA. Which we can’t do then because of the 0fps…

fps drop with patch

Feydiir.2609

I can sympathise with your lack of desire to install BootCamp, but you shouldn’t need anything (except Win7 install data) for a BootCamp installation. You can always install it on a new Mac without the need of any other machine.

The point is I really dont want to have to reboot my mac just to play a game .. I did that for many years with DAOC and Warhammer Online and the early GW2 betas .. so I am sorta “done” with doing that.. and I think many other mac users feel the same way. I don’t even have the Win7 discs (and for that matter this iMac doesn’t even have a DVD drive).. I think I might still have Win98 installers somewhere but thats not supported with the current versions of bootcamp.

fps drop with patch

Feydiir.2609

I think we need to add comments in the old threads in the other forums again to get attention for some-kind of status update from aNet on this issue .. so it doesn’t fall off aNets radar ..

Please keep adding comments to these threads to keep them on the top of the active threads list.. I think its unfortunately the only way to get their attention. Or at least to get somekind of status update on this issue.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/FPS-DROP-WITH-NEW-PATCH/first#post3609418

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/New-patch-causes-severe-FPS-drops-on-Mac-s/first#post3606562

fps drop with patch

Ceribis.8104

I agree with keeping the issues at the top of the list, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for status updates until something is ready to go and maybe even not even then.

fps drop with patch

Naqaj.6219

I don’t even have the Win7 discs (and for that matter this iMac doesn’t even have a DVD drive).. I think I might still have Win98 installers somewhere but thats not supported with the current versions of bootcamp.

I get that you don’t want to use BootCamp. I don’t want to either. Just wanted to point out that you can install it on recent iMacs (without disc drive) too. The new BootCamp assistant will make a bootable USB drive for you, you only need an ISO-file with a Windows installer image on it and a USB stick or external hard drive to put it on. You can get that ISO from Microsoft directly, or from various other sources.

fps drop with patch

Naqaj.6219

Please keep adding comments to these threads to keep them on the top of the active threads list.. I think its unfortunately the only way to get their attention. Or at least to get somekind of status update on this issue.

We already have their attention and a status report. They aren’t going to suddenly forget about it just because the thread isn’t at the top anymore. It’s time to be patient. Problems like this aren’t fixed in a day.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Galowin.6089

Galowin.6089

I’m not sure it’s just a mac client problem,
I play on my macbook in osx, and on my imac in both osx as windows 7.
And since the new releases started this year (marionette) I’m having terrible lag, fps drops, and more dc’s then i’ve had since launch….
They screwed something up in basic code of the game.
btw, graphics are on all my systems set to lowest settings for smoothest experience, and have been that way for more then a year.

For Glade and Glory

fps drop with patch

Ceribis.8104

I play on my macbook in osx, and on my imac in both osx as windows 7.
And since the new releases started this year (marionette) I’m having terrible lag, fps drops, and more dc’s then i’ve had since launch….
They screwed something up in basic code of the game.
btw, graphics are on all my systems set to lowest settings for smoothest experience, and have been that way for more then a year.

The issue in this thread is a mac issue. They made an update to the improve graphics performance in the client and it interacted very badly with the cider port.

I’ve been hearing about disconnects and lag recently and they all seem to be related to some internal networking issue in their data center, not something client side.

fps drop with patch

Feydiir.2609

We already have their attention and a status report. They aren’t going to suddenly forget about it just because the thread isn’t at the top anymore. It’s time to be patient. Problems like this aren’t fixed in a day.

I think at least a weekly update is fair .. and thats what I am looking for .. and so far we only got one update so far and nothing further… even a “hey guys we are still working on it and …. nothing new” would be fair and sufficient. Fwiw i’ve been in the software industry myself for over 25 years and I am fully aware that issues like this are not solved in a day but also on the other hand if things aren’t kept in a priory list they tend to get pushed down the list for other issues that crop up afterwards. This issue isnt some trivial cosmetic my weapon skin looks funny issue .. its a real problem thats impacting a great many users at a core functionality level. So I think some sort of periodic status update isn’t unreasonable.

(edited by Feydiir.2609)

fps drop with patch

Feydiir.2609

Well since both Windows and Mac’s use the exact same binary .. i wouldn’t be surprised at all if its impacting windows users too they just might not notice it as much since they dont have the additional CPU overhead mac users have with the CIDER wrapper.

fps drop with patch

FlamingFoxx.1305

Pretty sure it IS just an OS X problem. The game is running much better than usual in bootcamp for me – which makes sense since they supposedly did some optimisation. It just obviously borked the OS X version which is not cool.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Yifang.8260

Yifang.8260

I’ve asked around and many players have issues too so I don’t think it’s just an OS X issue though as we’re still playing on a beta client we’re probably disadvantaged further. My frame rates are never that high unless on poor settings, yesterday it actually was running nicely for a time at least before Far Shiverpeaks blobbed us but that’s to be expected… However I must state Marionette still runs poorly especially the warden battles, it can run as well as a mass of npcs attacking can be expected and then things go pear shaped, invisible UIs, npcs, bombs and aoes…. (Well the Marionette event was poorly made from the start)

Just my two cents it’s not specifically an OS X issue, the game is still playable on my macbook but certainly I’ve noticed things have gone downhill since after the Jubilee. WvW ran very well during season for me, much better than usual anyway zergs could run all over and I didn’t get crashes or exceptionally low frame rates to make it unplayable. LA has been running faster since wintersday ended at least but it would seem the game can’t be 100% at any time, if one thing works good something else bugs, the TP especially has never been stable.

Well I refuse to get this on windows I have bootcamp set up but argh, the joy of this game was the fact it was a major MMO that had a mac client even if in beta…. Windows sucks as an OS I used various once for most of my life as it is…

Anyhow I’m on a macbook pro 8.1 13", OS X 10.7 (Lion) 2.4Ghz i5 processors 4GB RAM
I’ll continue to play, will keep a close eye on fps and report any important findings… Aside from Marionette (which imo is badly programmed anyway, not that it stopped me trying to get all the achievements like a sucker for punishment. Just need two more dodges) every other aspect of the game is still playable for me, for now….

Perhaps they should conduct technical satisfaction surveys, could help to identify where the problems are.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: haqqa.8194

haqqa.8194

It is just an OS X issue.

I installed bootcamp just cuz I had the time and for the heck of it, and went straight to zerg vs zerg in EOTM. It’s no issue on the windows version. On OSX I fall to ~4FPS and it’s frustrating even just to stand in one spot and turn the camera in those same fights.

I used the windows installer, stopped it when it started updating the game, then copied the 17GB or so file from my OSX partition; saved me the download.

P.S. It’s a working copy till OSX version is better. I just can’t stand the reversed mouse wheel direction on zoom in, zoom out :P

(edited by haqqa.8194)

fps drop with patch

FlamingFoxx.1305

It is just an OS X issue.

I installed bootcamp just cuz I had the time and for the heck of it, and went straight to zerg vs zerg in EOTM. It’s no issue on the windows version. On OSX I fall to ~4FPS and it’s frustrating even just to stand in one spot and turn the camera in those same fights.

I used the windows installer, stopped it when it started updating the game, then copied the 17GB or so file from my OSX partition; saved me the download.

P.S. It’s a working copy till OSX version is better. I just can’t stand the reversed mouse wheel direction on zoom in, zoom out :P

Oh my. Are you one of those weird people who uses the “natural” scrolling on OSX? That’s shameful

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Bananaling.9673

Bananaling.9673

Do we have time frame for this? because i can’t do squat with this lag and i play this game primary for wvw.
It even lags when u go into water now too.
FIX IT FELIX

Fightz [XSV][SBT]
“Welcome to the world of tomorrow”-Slicey Dicey
3K cnd 6K bs 8K hs 8K hs 8K hs

fps drop with patch

Posted by: McNeely.1468

McNeely.1468

please give a ETA for the fix

fps drop with patch

FlamingFoxx.1305

Yeah I know that these things take time – but the next update is going to be unplayable for OSX users – so this kind of needs a fix before the 18th and an acknowledgement of that would be great.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: ananda.5946

ananda.5946

Can we assume that there is no way they’d release the next chapter of living story while the game client is still broken for all mac users? None of us would be able to participate in the climax of the living story, so I don’t think they’d do that, would they? Any update, Gaille?

fps drop with patch

Naqaj.6219

Can we assume that there is no way they’d release the next chapter of living story while the game client is still broken for all mac users? None of us would be able to participate in the climax of the living story, so I don’t think they’d do that, would they? Any update, Gaille?

I don’t think the other players would appreciate that all that much.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: DanNoland.6057

DanNoland.6057

iMac Mid 2010 27"
2,7 GHz Intel Core i5 Quad Core
12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
OS X 10.9.1
Played in 1920×1080 Windowmode

Large amount of Players result in a huge fps drop, only playable on the lowest settings and in wvw still 10fps or less.

I can’t stress it often enough: Mac users deserve a native Client. Please work on it, i bought this game because i can play it on Mac without bootcamp or any tricks/emulations (okay cyder is an emulation too…but the game is oficially supported for mac). It’s great to read that Arenanet cares about mac users but in my eyes this is not enough, you need a mac team working on a Client. We invested/invest money into this game and we get Lags/Errors/>50% Hardware loss.

I’m really looking forward to a native Mac Client, please make it happen.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: ananda.5946

ananda.5946

I don’t think the other players would appreciate that all that much.

So, the best plan is to release the climax of the living story when they know that 6 to 8 percent of the players cannot play it? That makes no sense and would certainly erode the goodwill the mac users have had till now. Delaying release by a week so they can have all of the customer base be able to enjoy the product is not a large issue. Software releases are delayed all of the time. I used to manage the QA department for a small software company and, while delays aren’t wanted, releasing a broken product knowing full well it is broken is even less desirable. But, maybe they have a fix going in. Would be nice to know, hence people requesting an update.

fps drop with patch

Naqaj.6219

They have a fix going on, Gaile already told us. It might be deployed before next Tuesday, or it might not be. Hard to tell, as you know, having experience with software development.

There’s always some percentage of your playerbase that can’t play the game right now because of technical issues, sometimes it’s just 1%, sometimes it may be as much as 10%. There’s a much more frequented non-OSX tech support board too. You don’t throw your release schedule overboard because of that.

Us OSX users are in a kitten situation here, no argument. We can reasonably demand to get the problem fixed. We cannot demand to ruin everyone elses experience just for our sake.

fps drop with patch

Posted by: Arion Starke.5208

Arion Starke.5208

After the patch, my frame rate dropped whenever there are other characters on the screen. In fact, if you on the outskirts of a zerg looking at it, my frame rate drops to about 2-4. If I turn around and look at empty landscape, it jumps back up to 30+. It seems to only have a problem painting other characters on the screen.

I seem to recall this very same issue before the game actually came out when we were trying to run it in wine. Once the Official beta came out the problem was gone.

Good Luck devs!

(edited by Arion Starke.5208)