FPS breaks in - GPU usage too

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Arnagos.5968

Arnagos.5968

I’ve found out something interesting. Every time my FPS drops to 5-15 my GPU usage drops with it to unter 20%, while at 50% der game runs perfectly well. This happens since the update on the 8th/9th september. I don’t know if someone has the same problem and posted about it already.

But the funny fact is , that the game runs at 50-60 Fps normal (50% GPU) and in larger scale battles the game runs with 15 FPS (20% GPU). So in fact the game isn’t using more GPU but less…. very odd.

Would be interisting to know, if there’s a way to prevent the gpu usage to drop.

(edited by Arnagos.5968)

Posted by: mathisk.6427

mathisk.6427

The GPU usage drop is telling you that the GPU is spending more time waiting for data to come from the CPU. In those large battles, it’s the CPU that has to figure out the positions of all the extra objects (be they characters, spell effects, NPCs, misc mobs, etc) in the world and then pass that information to the GPU. The more objects there are, the more work the CPU has to do before the GPU can to it’s job.

Posted by: Phaze Delta One.2834

Phaze Delta One.2834

Overclocking you’re CPU may help a little.

Arnagos.5968

I think my 4x 3.8Ghz should be more than enough. (I’ve got the AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE oced to 3.8Ghz)

Arnagos.5968

I’ve now deactivated the core parking and got about 10FPS more (now running with smooth 50-60FPS most times) but there’s still the problem, that the FPS drops down randomly (GPU usage is at 10-15%) and goes up again. Even if I’m only running around somewhere.

Posted by: Swordbreaker.2581

Swordbreaker.2581

Its a amd cpu as well though. Doesn’t matter how many cores it has. It just doesn’t have the same power as an i5 or i7. Hell an i3 beats it.

Asrock X79 Extreme4 mobo / I7 3930k @ 4.7ghz / 16gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz
/ 2x XFX R9 290x in Crossfire

Posted by: Rightnow.4031

Rightnow.4031

I have been experiencing the same thing recently. I have no idea what happened, but up until a week ago my frames were smooth and never dropped below 40 on mostly high and ultra settings. Now, regardless of what i am doing whether it be intense WvW, or just standing completely still in the most isolated part of the world my frames drop to 10-15 for 20ish secs before returning to normal. This happens every 2-3 minutes for me, and it does not matter what i have the graphics/sound quality set to.

“Its a amd cpu as well though. Doesn’t matter how many cores it has. It just doesn’t have the same power as an i5 or i7. Hell an i3 beats it.”

This entire point is completely irrelevant due to the fact that both the OP’s as well as my processor was handling the game perfectly fine for a period of time, and then only recently have started having an issue.

Posted by: Noctura.3908

Noctura.3908

T_T My gpu % while running the game all the time is 10-15% and it won’t go any higher. Nor will my fps go up above a max of 20… I’ve been posting here often for a few days about it, and provided as much info as I could. I just really hope they find out what happened. The game was running great for me until a few days ago. I’ve been seeing quite a few of these threads coming up lately as well about bad fps. A few people I know have no issues but there are others unable to play at all.