Fans go crazy when playing gw2 on mac

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: ibouwicked.2631

ibouwicked.2631

My fans go crazy when I run guild wars 2 on my 15 inch mid 2014 macbook pro. The processor is a 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7 and the memory is 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. Is anybody else having the same issue? Does anybody know how to fix it?

Posted by: WesleySnipes.3917

WesleySnipes.3917

Yes.
Happens to most if not all of us.
Just add it to the ever growing list of problems mac users have with gw2 and maybe hopefuly next year we will get a reply like “we are working on it” but never actually see that “work in progress” get completed and released as a patch.

I have this game since they announced the “mac client” which is actually a kittenty wrapper that never gets tweaked. I still have the exact same problems i did when started playing this junk at day 1, they never got fixed and when they did it was thanks to my own free time messing around with the game files and google research.
But at the end of the day it’s a huge waste of time considering any update/patch they release will break any tweak you make to the game.

People say a game is only as good as it’s customer support.. in my humble experience this game is under mediocre

(edited by WesleySnipes.3917)

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

The fans are running fast because they need to in order to cool down the computer. It’s relatively the same if you run it on the same hardware in bootcamp.

Posted by: Yifang.8260

Yifang.8260

Same problem on and off, lately the game had not been overdriving my fan despite the myriad issues september’s feature brought us (That still linger!). Fan wise there were no problems till sunday, all was fine till after I quit GW2 and since then it struggles to hit the fan’s top speed and so makes a horrid sound…

Posted by: Cutekitten.1526

Cutekitten.1526

This happens with bootcamped Windows 7 and OSX on my 2012 macbook pro. It appears to be a hardware issue.

Posted by: orenwolf.1953

orenwolf.1953

This isn’t a “problem”. The game heats up both the CPU and the graphics chip (GPU), and those need to be cooled.

If you use bootcamp to install Windows, and then play the official GW2 client, you will still get the fans to “go crazy”. This is just how the laptop is forced to run when the components run hot.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

It’s worth pointing out that iMacs also use laptop GPU’s, so they also get the crazy fans.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It’s worth pointing out to anyone with any machine, not just Macs, that it is advisable to make sure you keep a good clear airway for your fans, and clean the filter every now and then, especially if you smoke near you computer. Fans in a computer are very much like a vacuum cleaner. They need to have air going in and air going out in order to work.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]