Forgot password? Forgot activation key...

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: snaplemouton.1294

snaplemouton.1294

For the love of god, don’t ask for the activation key on a forgot your password feature!!!
I understand the need for security, but rare are thoses who keep their activation key noted somewhere when they buy a digital version of a game!
A secret question is much better because it add as much security while remaining something the owner can answer without having to keep a note.

Change your feature for the love of grenth!

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

They are not going to.

Security questions can help, but depending on what is used, can be figured out. Not so on the account key.

However, if you bought a digital version of the game, and it was from ArenaNet’s website, search your emails – they email it to you after purchase.

If that doesn’t help, you can submit a ticket via the support site’s “Ask a Question” setup (link at the top of every forum page). They will ask for various other bits of info and see if they can gain satisfactory proof you own the account.

EDIT : For me the email was from the “ArenaNet <noreply@guildwars2.com>” address, and they call the account key a “serial code”.

(edited by Rajani Isa.6294)

Posted by: snaplemouton.1294

snaplemouton.1294

They are not going to.

Security questions can help, but depending on what is used, can be figured out. Not so on the account key.

However, if you bought a digital version of the game, and it was from ArenaNet’s website, search your emails – they email it to you after purchase.

If that doesn’t help, you can submit a ticket via the support site’s “Ask a Question” setup (link at the top of every forum page). They will ask for various other bits of info and see if they can gain satisfactory proof you own the account.

EDIT : For me the email was from the “ArenaNet <noreply@guildwars2.com>” address, and they call the account key a “serial code”.

I bought the game more then one year ago. -_- There is no ways in hell I still have my “Serial code”. Even if I kept it in a .txt on my computer, I won’t keep it forever.

Which is exactly my point about a Secret Question. It is 100% as safe as this without being shoved up our butt and forcing us to keep a note.
There is no ways in hell an hacker’s gonna know my elementary school best friend or my favorite dish when I was 10 years old. Hell if they want it that much secured, make it 3 secret questions! It’s gonna be even more secured and we still won’t need the god kitten “Serial code”.
There is a reason why mostly every websites use the Secret Question.

Posted by: StugLyfe.2134

StugLyfe.2134

Just made a post above you with the exact same issue BUT i actually have mine and still can’t get an email change done.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Please do not worry about not having a serial code. It’s a great way for us to verify account ownership, but it by no means the only way. Simply contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page and a team member will be able to assist you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

As a receipt-type email, I kept mine on my account. Further, if you have a smartphone, going forward you can use a password manager type program to keep track of account keys/license numbers/serial codes.

Anyway, as mentioned by both myself and Gaile – it’s not the sole thing they accept as proof. Good luck!.