Frame Drops when turning the camera.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Raiga.4508

Raiga.4508

Hello, friends.
I’m sure some of you are tired of reading this matter through, but I’ll have to ask about it once again.
To summarize the problem: After leaving a loading screen, moving my camera or looking around reduces the frame rate from 40-60 to 1-20 for a few seconds, until I turned around about 360°. Then the frames go up again.
I’m sure there have been many posts about it and I looked through the forum for hours and hours, and I still don’t know wether there is a solution or not, and what causes the problem.
Specs:
AMD FX8120 CPU, OCed from 3,1GHz to 4,2(!) GHz.
Nvidia GTX660 TI
8GB RAM
Ask me if I need to add anything. But let me get a few things straight:

I know that GW2 performs better on an Intel than on an AMD, but before you start complaining about that: I don’t have any ingame performance issues – the FPS is between 40-60 (35 in LA, 70+ in several PVE areas, but the average is 50~), I don`t see any frame-related problems in PvP either. I am as satisfied as I could be.
My only concern is the framedrop when turning the camera after a loading screen until I turned around 360°.

So – What causes the problem ? How can it be fixed ? What can you do about that ?

I already tried out the following things, all with no or really almost none noticeable effect.
- Overclock the CPU ( I don’t want to go over 4,2GHz)
- Update all the drivers (Everything updated, except for BIOS, I am using F6 not F7, if this causes the problem ima laugh.)
- Rolled back to 306.23 and the other 306.xx Nvidia driver ( Might have increased the IG performance, didn’t check that, the camera-issue wasn’t fixed)
- Turned Shadows from Ultra to High, Reflections on Water&Terrain (increased the FPS noticeable, however didn’t fix the issue)
-Tried out ALOT of changes in the Nvidia controll planel
-Disabled core parking in my CPU
-Ran GW2 as admin
-Defragmented both of my hard drives (GW2 is installed on D with 2TB space)
- tried out different things with the ingame graphic settings

I might add something later. Also I installed a new FAN (watercooling :-] ), the CPU temps never go beyond 40-45° while playing GW2 24/7.

We’re almost done, friends. Have I forgot to try out anything ? If so, please tell me, I appreciate your help so much (since I wasted hours&days trying to find a fix).
Thanks for any clues or solutions that you might offer, I`ll check out this post regularely from now on.

Yours sincerely, Raiga.

Ultimate power corrupts ultimately.

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

• What’s your CPU & GPU utilization when you stutter and after you turn 360?
  • Try drivesweeper and do a clean installation of drivers
  • PCI-E running at x16?
http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Posted by: iSmack.1768

iSmack.1768

It happens to me when I have reflections on. Try turning it completely off and see if that helps.

Raiga.4508

Thanks for the replies, guys.
- I’ll check that ASAP.
- I`ll try drivesweeper ASAP.
- Yes, forgot to say that. With GPU-Z it tells me that it runs on 16×.

Okay, I think I already tested that, but I’ll try it out.
Thakns again.

Raiga.4508

Alright, I tried to check the utilizations as good as I could:
CPU: Stutter: 23-29% ; After: 30-40~%
GPU (wasn’t sure wether to check the GPU Load or memory Controller Load) :
GPU Load: Stutter: 8-16%; After: 50-55%
Memory Controller Load: Stutter: 7-14%; After: ~21%

So: When moving the camera aka stuttering all the utilization…drops? Didn’t see that coming nor do I know what it means. As I said, only after a Loading Screen or when I minimize the game and open it up again, it kinda feels like the PC is re-loading everything that isn’t visible from my point of view, it starts doing that when I move around or something like that. Speculations of a noob, only.

I used drivesweeper, however it removed most of the entries but said for the rest of the entries it wants me to get the Premium Version <_<..
-I reinstalled driver 310.90 and I can’t notice much of a difference to before I think.
- I set reflections to none and it seems like the game runs more fluent after the stutters (which sadly remain). It helps the framerate but doesn’t remove the entire problem. Thanks though!
Any new thoughts, Sirs?
Thanks already.

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

I know this helps reduce stuter, and also the fps dips when loading for the first time but it will still be present. And tbh its not exactly a cheap fix..

Solid State Drive.

They have MUCH faster access times, so it helps with the loading and stutter.

For example.. I run on a SSD and when i tab out and do somthing like browse the web ..then tab back in ..the fps will drop significantly when i turn my camera as it reloads stuff. BUT no where near as low as ur finding .. it rarely drops below 30 and when it does its for a split second and only after tabing out.
First time loading when logging in (no tab outs) also has the same issue but not as bad ..doesnt drop below 30.
The reloading fps drops are really only noticable in LA and other CPU heavy environments i find.
When i first played the game using my Raid0 HDD i found stutter issues were overall worse. most noticably ..map icons appearing on the main large map had a obvious delay ..now though they r instant.

The slight ingame performance increases of a SSD are really only noticable on really fast CPU’s. Since ur’s is OC’d u have a chance of noticing some also BUT as u say ..its no Intel.. so i cant garaunte what u will get out of swithcing to a SSD.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Raiga.4508

Hi Solar, thanks for your reply.
As you said, it’s not a cheap solution.
Yeah, I get your point, but you know what’s strange? A friend of mine has also a GTX graphic card and an AMD processor, both 1-2 years older than mine and he can play the game better than I do. Well, from the IG framerate I have a slightly better framerate, but he doesn’t have the stutters after a loading screen.I purchased mine like 2 weeks ago in order to play GW2 properly (Had 15FPS on my laptop before) and as I said, the overall performance is very satisfying, just the “after-load-lags” don’t seem like they want to go away!
So you think it’s got something to do with my hard drive ?
I’m slowly running low on options, since I really tried out every “fix” that was mentioned on the forums I guess.
ADD: I also have the energy-options on “High Performance”, I set all Nvidia-Options to default though. Some of them might have changed the IG-experience in some way, but didn’t solve the problem.
Is there by the way a way to increase the speed of my HDD, if this causes the stutters?

Thanks already, Raiga.

SolarNova.1052

If u got 2 HDD’s of the same speed/size u can put them into a Raid0 configuration. Will increase performance. U will get the combined total space but it will be seen as a single drive instead of 2.
The HDD’s space is split into ‘strips’ and used alternativly for storing data.. means when loading information ur loading of 2 drives at the same time instead of 1 thus thats where the increased perfomance comes from. its not exactly double performance. .buts its alot better than non raid.

Though ur problem is also possibly being caused by some strange software hitch ontop of that.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: supremo.1826

supremo.1826

I have this problem as well, but i’m afraid i don’t have any answers. It’s not really been much of a problem for me as it’s only for 2-3 seconds and doesn’t seem to affect performance in-game.

Posted by: fireworkmuffins.5302

fireworkmuffins.5302

I also have this problem. I have a 560ti

The thing is, I have the game on an SSD.

This is completely an optimization problem on ARENA nets side. And it needs to be fixed before I start throwing things, because its kiling the game for me.

I run other games with much higher requirements perfectly fine on high-ultra settings.

Raiga.4508

Hi supremo and fireworkmuffins, it’s so nice to know that other (active) GW2 Members are also reporting this problem. Could you give me/us your exact specs ? Might help to find the connection, if there is one from our side.
If it’s really on ANet’s side, then why aren’t all the players experiencing it ? Not even all with an AMD Processor or GTX Cards ? Even though alot of the people with this problem seem to have GTX ones.. Strange.

I feel the same pain, fireworkmuffins, especially because the PC is only a few weeks old and I bought it 70% because I wanted to play GW2 on high settings. I mean, I actually can, but these stutters need to be fixable somehow.

Any new ideas would be really appreciated, thanks already!
-Raiga.

Posted by: supremo.1826

supremo.1826

Sure thing. My specs are :
Windows 8 64bit (may be related to the problem)
i7-3770k 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

SolarNova.1052

What are all ur RAM speed’s and Timings ? (asking every1)

Raiga.4508

Great, so you have an Intel and still experience the problem.
Not sure where to check the RAM speeds and timings, Solar.
In BIOS its set to 1333MHz..could that be ?
Still, to be sure, can you tell me where/how I can check that ? I have CPU-Z, GPU-Z and a few other programms to check the PC, if I could doit with any of those.
Yours sincerely, Raiga.

SolarNova.1052

The speed is the 1333mhz .
The timings are shown like the following: 9-10-9-28

In CPUZ there should be in the row named ‘memory type’
Example:
Memory Type : Quad Channel DDR3- 1867 SDRAM (9-10-9-28 CR1)

I’m just seeing if those of u with this issue have the same speed and or timings on the RAM which might possibly be slowing things down a tad.

Raiga.4508

Alright!
So in CPUZ there’s window called ‘Memory’
General →
Type: DDR3
Size: 8192 MBytes
Channels#: Dual
NB Frequency: 2200.0MHz (this changes sometimes)

Timings →
DRAM Frequency: 666.6 MHz
FSB:DRAM 3:10 | 9-9-9-24-33(tRC)

if you need anything else, just shoot.
Cya tomorrow, thanks everyone for your support.
Yours sincerely, Raiga.

Posted by: Predator.1398

Predator.1398

What causes the problem ? How can it be fixed ? What can you do about that ?

It’s the game engine problem.
It can be fixed by ANet’s game engine programmers
You can do nothing here. Just wait for the fix.

Posted by: fireworkmuffins.5302

fireworkmuffins.5302

Windows 7 64 bit
asrock z68m motherboard
8 Gigs of corsair vengeance ram
evga 560ti 1g
i5-2500 3.3 ghz
And the game is being run on an SSD

Raiga.4508

It’s the game engine problem.
It can be fixed by ANet’s game engine programmers
You can do nothing here. Just wait for the fix.

Are you sure ? Then how does it come only a few people are experiencing it ? I mean, there must be something in our specs or OS or whatever, so this problem is caused. Maybe you’re right and it’s something from ANets side, but then why are only certain people “punished” with it ?

Yours sincerely, Raiga.

Raiga.4508

@ kirito, have the utilization-numbers that I gave you shown you anything ?

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

U can help this problem lowering Shadows and disabling reflections, untill arenanet actually fix the problem.

Posted by: DAOWAce.2571

DAOWAce.2571

This is still a problem with Ultra shadows.

I checked my video settings after the recent update (to set WvW settings) and went through the older settings to see if there were any new options (like ultra). Put Shadows (and LoD) on Ultra and sure enough this horrific hitching issue came back.

Now that the new content is released, again, will this actually be looked into and resolved, along with the numerous other technical issues with the game?

Another thread on the issue (can we get a merge?): https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/frame-rate-with-camera-turning-since-update