Frequent OOM crashes, lets fix this

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: DarkShadow.3527

DarkShadow.3527

OOM Crashes, let’s fix this

I’ll start this with my personal experience with gw2, so feel free to skip this part:
I bought the game at day1, i was waiting for it since A LONG time. I had (and still have) an old PC (running a 32bit Win7) so i was pretty sure that i could not play heavy stuff (like wvw raids and crowded world bosses); but i just bought the game to try it.
The first month it ran smoothly, i had medium settings and well, except for the really crowded parts, it worked fine. Then, patch after patch, the client became heavier and i started having crashes that made me set everything to the lowest possible (window mode too) and with that too my regular crashes would happen like every 30 minutes (at some point they even told that gw2 was not “32bit OS friendly”, so the problem started a long ago). But even with that i kept playing Gw2, why? Cause it’s a kitten good product and Anet did a kitten good job on it, it was a top tier game for me 3 years ago and it still is. That’s why i spent a lot of time on it (yes, crashing/relogging every 20-30 minutes regardless of the game mode) and, when HoT came out, i just bought it “blind mode” without thinking about the core+expansion price and stuff (it was a discussed matter) cause i thought (and still think) that Anet deserved support/respect for the great job they did.
Now, after HoT went live, i can’t stay in the game more than 10 minutes (even just standing alone in an empty map) so i thought that it could’ve been just me, since i’m playing with that same old pc, running a 32bit Win7, and knowing that Gw2 always had problems with it (but was still playable). Then i started refreshing the forum and i noticed that A LOT of people had my exact problem..and not just the 32bit OS owners. But, as someone posted, Anet’s replied stating that is a straight 32bit OS problem.

That’s all we know about this problem:

- It’s related exclusively to the HoT expansion update (even if it’s noticed in both the
core and HoT maps), before this everyone was able to play with no or just some crashes (for me it was the 30 mins crashes i discussed up here).

- People tried everything: lowering settings to minimum,reinstalling the game, graphic drivers, cleaning HDD, invoking the sacred Colin Sohandsome in person..nothing worked.

- It’s NOT related just to 32bit OS, since a lot of 64bit OS owners got this problem.

- Someone stated that it could be a conflict with Nvidia cards, actually i remember a similar thing being discussed in different crashes a while ago, BUT even ATI owners are
suffering from this problem.

- It’s an out of memory crash related, but even people with high-end PCs (having 16gb RAM and that kitten 64bit OS) got this issue (within an hour though).

Now, i’m not a programmer or something..but when you’re a nerd you just learn how some things work. What i’m feeling is that there’s something wrong within the game (code or whatever) that just absorb a HUGE amount of memory in %, so no matter how much RAM you got..you will still crash at some point.
So, sorry..but it’s not just a 32bit OS problem. i’m feeling also that it’s just a single fix, where people with good PCs will play without crashes and i could get back to my lovely crashes after 30 mins. And i will be kitten happy with it.
This is not a “kitten you Anet give my money back!1!!1!11!!” post, i still trust Anet to
find and fix the problem.
So please, give it a try, work on it..and give us something here.

I invite all the people affected by these crashes to post in this thread and add stuff (just in this thread, if possible) to keep it visible, keeping it clean tho (just
constructive discussions on the problem and crash logs under spoiler).
Let’s make this the “sad kids” official thread and (hopefully) fix this situation..so i can
get back to swearing about pvp matchmaking (sorry, i had to XD).

Posted by: xvalkyrie.6742

xvalkyrie.6742

We’ve got this one in the Bugs forum also with people posting OOM crash logs and computer specs:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Client-Crashing-Constantly/first

Valkyrie – [RMPG] Blackgate
Altaholic, can never have just one!

Posted by: Wielder Of Magic.3950

Wielder Of Magic.3950

I had the OOM error in the coregame as well after long hours of playing or after crowded world events.
Back then I tried everything, changed every setting, disabled uninstalled/re-installed every possible type of software, even made my local computer store check my hardware for errors.
Nothing came up, all clear, yet Anet support insisted that is was an error on my end, and not theirs.

The issues finally stopped when I shelled out money for a new graphics card, a GTX 970.
However, now in HoT the OOM crashes are starting again.
This leads me to believe that we are dealing with a pretty bad memory leak in the HoT client ( and possibly still the coregame as well), but unfortunately Anet has denied this in every possible way so far, and always points the finger at your own system.

I am running Gw2 on an I7 2600 processor, a 4GB GTX 970 Graphics Card, 16 GB of RAM, and a 64 bit Windows 7 OS.

It’s very hard to believe that this system would crash due to being “out of memory”.

Posted by: Chuckles.2509

Chuckles.2509

I’m getting the OOM error, can usually manage to get an hour in game before it crashes (I’m here now after a crash after 43 minutes).
I’m running 64-bit Windows 10, and i7 3770k processor, a GTX 980 graphics card and 16GB RAM (which is always at under 50% being used).
The one thing I’ve noticed is it is far more likely to happen in world events (since this began I haven’t been able to complete VineWrath, or Tarir as I always crash a few minutes after they start). I don’t know if that is related or just that that is what I tend to be doing most in-game so am more likely to crash there.

Posted by: Stocki.5729

Stocki.5729

Still OOM-Crashes on 32 + 64 bit. Love Gw2 but can´t play it!

Posted by: DarkShadow.3527

DarkShadow.3527

Update with an interesting fact:
I still crash in 1-10 minutes in every map even when i’m alone, BUT i managed (for two times) to play two hotjoin matches in a row without crashes,. The crash occurred in both cases once i got back in heart of the mists.
So..crashes in some minutes in every map being alone but you can actually play pvp using skills, passing loading screens and with people playing around.
I don’t think we need more evidence that these crashes ARE NOT related to our OS.
I still invite everyone to post in here to collect infos related to this kind of crash, since the past discussions are full of different problems.
And, of course, i’m still asking for a reply from Anet.

Posted by: Raziel.8072

Raziel.8072

The only thing that seems to work for me is using a LAA program (large address aware). it forces windows to use more than 2gb for a single program instead of throttling memory back to make sure more “core” processes get priority first. This causes issues with GW2 since there are lots of memory leaks and windows will dump the process if it sees the game using too much. When you use LAA it prevents that dump (most of the time, I’d say about 95% success so far). However, you cannot do this on windows 10, only win 8 or lower. Just google for large address aware programs. Good luck, hope it helps you!

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Guild Wars 2 is already (and has always been) compiled as a large address aware executable – unless A-net has made an error in compiling recent versions.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Now, i’m not a programmer or something..but when you’re a nerd you just learn how some things work. What i’m feeling is that there’s something wrong within the game (code or whatever) that just absorb a HUGE amount of memory in %, so no matter how much RAM you got..you will still crash at some point.

There is probably nothing wrong with the game code other than there probably memory fragmentation and the game is a 32 bit app which unfortunately means it can only access up to 4GB virtual address space on a 64 bit system. The problem will probably go away if anet just recompile the game in 64 bits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_address_space

well, anet should really consider releasing a 64 bit client.

Hmmm, I wonder if cider supports 64 bits windows apps. Oh well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n

And about crashing on Tequatl: Here’s one case where a 64-bit client could actually help. Many of the crashes happening on Tequatl (which are still quite few, mind you) are cause of memory fragmentation. The bigger memory address space of 64-bit apps could help prevent that. This becomes more of a problem the longer you keep your client running.

(edited by loseridoit.2756)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Hmmm, I wonder if cider supports 64 bits windows apps. Oh well.

Cider is only 32 Bit ..

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.