Friend's account compromised. No help yet.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: sxcsxcsxc.5941

sxcsxcsxc.5941

Hi there. I’m posting on behalf of my friend since his account was compromised and the email or password was changed, he has no access to the gw2 forums since he can’t log in but does have a mobile authenticator. My friend tried the account recovery system however after typing in all the necessary details it ended up with an “An error has occurred. Please contact support” despite him having the correct details (email, character name, serial number). He submitted a ticket 3 days ago however he has received no reply. His ticket number is 966320.

What options does he have other than waiting? He’s becoming anxious and depressed about this issue and fears that the hacker deleted all his valuables (he already had a roll back so he can’t receive another one).

Thanks!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Did he get an initial automated response? If not it might be in the spam/junk folders or he has an email that has a problem with ANet. He can read the thread, not getting our emails for more information about that.

A second possibility if he isn’t getting email, his email is hacked and the hacker is removing them before your friend sees them.

In either case, if he hasn’t already done so he needs to run a full security sweep of his computer. It wouldn’t hurt to change his computer’s email’s password after that, just to be sure.

Unfortunately if his account was hacked it was undoubtably stripped the first day. They don’t normally wait around to do that so the damage is probably already done and over with.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: sxcsxcsxc.5941

sxcsxcsxc.5941

Thanks for the reply.

My friend said he did get an automated response to change his email password and run a security sweep which he has already done. He recovered the deleted email messages however none of them were from anet (just random junk/spam messages).

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

From what I’ve read, they are pretty swamped, but if it’s been 3 days since the last time he heard from them you can post his ticket number in the stickied thread, Tickets for review, 3 days and older for them to look at.

Posted by: GM Talon.8726

GM Talon.8726

Lead Game Master

Next

His ticket was escalated to me earlier this morning. I’ll reply to it after I finish my rounds here. =)

Posted by: Nodda.6537

Nodda.6537

Can you please check my wife’s ticket also we been gone for over a year and she cant reset her password cause we dont remember any of her character names and all i have is the main name thats added kinda like a battletag her ticket number is 972496

Posted by: GM Talon.8726

Previous

GM Talon.8726

Lead Game Master

That ticket was just filed earlier today, so it might be a bit before it receives a reply. We answer tickets in the order in which they are received and we are a bit backed up at the moment, so response times have been delayed. My apologies for the inconvenience.