GPU Usage drops?

GPU Usage drops?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Alakaar.7240

Alakaar.7240

Ever since I bought the game, I’ve been having random FPS drops and I checked my GPU usage and it drops from 100% down to around 20/30% every so often and even more often when lots is going on.

I get 40+ FPS on average and down to 25/30 FPS when a lot is going on, but it goes down to around 10 or lower FPS when the drops happen no matter what is happening. I’ve also got a i7, 6 gb ram, and a 560m so before you say my computer sucks…it doesnt.

I would love for someone to solve this for me, ‘cause even though I can deal with it, it’d be nice for it to disappear.

GPU Usage drops?

Posted by: Searias.9601

Searias.9601

Try the new beta driver for your graphics card from nVidia.

GPU Usage drops?

Alakaar.7240

I’ve had the beta drivers installed since I started playing so they won’t be making any difference, unless there are even newer ones that arent listed.

GPU Usage drops?

Alakaar.7240

Forgot to say one thing, when the FPS drops happen they only last a few seconds then it goes back to normal, then in a while it drops again then goes back up. These drops are at the same time the GPU usage drops and goes back up so if I could somehow force my GPU to stay at a certain point, that would be nice.

GPU Usage drops?

Posted by: Refraction.1892

Refraction.1892

What’s your cpu usage at the time of the GPU usage drop? It’s possible you are becoming CPU limited at that point so the GPU is waiting for your cpu to catch up

GPU Usage drops?

Alakaar.7240

From what I can tell, the CPU seems to be jumping up from around 30ish% to around 50ish% or higher when the spikes happen. i dont know how reliable the task manager is though for monitoring those rates.

GPU Usage drops?

Posted by: Flankenzee.7958

Flankenzee.7958

This happens to me, but ONLY in the Charr zones and if I change from windows fullscreen to fullscreen, it fixes it.

What zones are you getting the low fps in?

GPU Usage drops?

Posted by: Cbuzz.5083

Cbuzz.5083

Ever since I bought the game, I’ve been having random FPS drops and I checked my GPU usage and it drops from 100% down to around 20/30% every so often and even more often when lots is going on.

I get 40+ FPS on average and down to 25/30 FPS when a lot is going on, but it goes down to around 10 or lower FPS when the drops happen no matter what is happening. I’ve also got a i7, 6 gb ram, and a 560m so before you say my computer sucks…it doesnt.

I would love for someone to solve this for me, ‘cause even though I can deal with it, it’d be nice for it to disappear.

Laptop eh? 2Ghz cpu as well?…

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

GPU Usage drops?

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

Forgot to say one thing, when the FPS drops happen they only last a few seconds then it goes back to normal, then in a while it drops again then goes back up. These drops are at the same time the GPU usage drops and goes back up so if I could somehow force my GPU to stay at a certain point, that would be nice.

Check power-saving features (laptop’s, Windows, and nVidia’s) and background tasks.
I’m not sure how much you can get out of a 560m (or the rest of the laptop); what in-game settings are you using? How much video RAM does it have? (it may be texture-swapping, try going to low textures)

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

GPU Usage drops?

Alakaar.7240

To answer all three:

@Flankenzee
Its in all zones.

@Cbuzz
Yes, 2.0ghz

@Rolo
Lowering the settings gives me better overall FPS, but the mega drops still persist no matter what. I’ve got high performance on and the power isn’t being shut off or anything so they shouldn’t affect it. It’s also got 1.5gbs of video ram which is pretty decent so that shouldn’t be causing anything either.