GTX 680

GTX 680

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: dacooli.6712

dacooli.6712

I want a real answer. I run the game in snowy areas with like 60-100 FPS all maxed, supersampling, all that. Though in some areas, Bloodtide, Hinterlands I struggle and get 40-60 FPS, even worse in events. This is OK, sure it isn’t that good and i expected more from my gtx 680 but it works. Though, in large zergs WvW I get 15-25 FPS. My question is, is something wrong on my computer? I got i5 2500 3.3, the latest beta drivers, I run every other game as I should, I do not overheat, I got 650W, and my motherboard are all good.
My next question is, if the game is so CPU bound, will I still max games with my gtx 680 as in AC3, Bordelands 2, Resident evil 6, GTA V and the rest of these epic new games coming soon or will they also require a better CPU? Do I need to upgrade it? I can’t put in my cooling since it doesnt fit and can’t really buy a new one but ill buy a new cpu when next generation comes out mid-2013 as they say, and early 2013 ill buy a new power supply and motherboard to prepare. I hope GTX 680 will last for me and this setup will be able to handle all games till my upgrades? Thanks, and I’m sorry for the wall of text without any dots.

GTX 680

Posted by: Victus.9631

Victus.9631

This game is also CPU intensive, that i5 is bottlenecking performance. There are other articles addressing this issue. That being said, please seek out other posts that may have related issues such as this.

GTX 680

Posted by: Casshern.7056

Casshern.7056

There is nothing wrong with your PC, the game is not well optimised right now.
I get great FPS rates in snowy areas too. But awful in other places.
just gonna have to wait for them to fix it mate.
but you can rest easy as there is nothing wrong your end.

Intel i7 3770K @ 4.0ghz /16GB DDR3 @ 2600mhz
2 x GTX 680 SLI / 512GB SSD / 2TB HDD / Win 7
5.1 THX Optical Speakers / 120hz BenQ Monitor

GTX 680

dacooli.6712

There is nothing wrong with your PC, the game is not well optimised right now.
I get great FPS rates in snowy areas too. But awful in other places.
just gonna have to wait for them to fix it mate.
but you can rest easy as there is nothing wrong your end.

Thanks alot man, you calmed me down. I have no probs waiting, I’m just the kind of guy who worries too much. Thanks.

GTX 680

Posted by: Mac.1936

Mac.1936

People are bringing that you are CPU bound garbage to explain everything. Do you honestly think in an attempt to get more people playing that don’t have awesome 500 dollar video cards they made it so you need awesome 500 dollar CPUs?

It’s just poorly optimized right now.

GTX 680

Victus.9631

Yes, but benches clearly show the difference between 3.5 and 3.7GHz. It IS a way to boost performance and regardless. The matter still stands the game is chewing CPU and if the CPU is maxing out but the 680 is laughing it off then the 680 is bound to the CPU and and isn’t using it’s full potential, thus bottlenecking the performance to the CPU. Sure it can be optimized but at this current point the solution is to OC the CPU and hopefully get your frames to where you want them.

EDIT: His CPU has very capable potential of hitting 3.6 if not 3.8 and staying within desired temps. Do that for now until they optimize which will probably come after fixing bugs in game. In addition, try beta drivers to pinch some more frames if possible.

(edited by Victus.9631)

GTX 680

dacooli.6712

Yes, but benches clearly show the difference between 3.5 and 3.7GHz. It IS a way to boost performance and regardless. The matter still stands the game is chewing CPU and if the CPU is maxing out but the 680 is laughing it off then the 680 is bound to the CPU and and isn’t using it’s full potential, thus bottlenecking the performance to the CPU. Sure it can be optimized but at this current point the solution is to OC the CPU and hopefully get your frames to where you want them.

EDIT: His CPU has very capable potential of hitting 3.6 if not 3.8 and staying within desired temps. Do that for now until they optimize which will probably come after fixing bugs in game. In addition, try beta drivers to pinch some more frames if possible.

I get like 60 C full load on my cores already, so cannot overclock it. Got a cooler next to me but can’t get it in my comp without taking out mother board first and im far from a tech. It’s sad, but im glad to know thats it not at my end.
Can you guys please check my 2nd question too?

GTX 680

Posted by: Phaze Delta One.2834

Phaze Delta One.2834

Your’re fine on your second question.

GTX 680

Victus.9631

680 is a solid card that’ll last a good while. My 480s are 2 years old and still throw down (thankfully as my 670 is in RMA mode ATM).

If you’re not comfortable with installing the cooler, I would tap into a local community forum board and see if you can’t get someone to take care of it for you. If all else fails, YouTube installs and try and learn from there and if you find yourself being up for it, go for it. You really don’t need to be as careful as people say you need to be. I’ve done a few break downs and rebuilds on my PC and got lazier less careful each time (not like throwing the parts or anything). Just follow directions per instructed and you’ll be grand. Worst enemy is fear in this situation.

GTX 680

Posted by: amytheplanarshift.8520

amytheplanarshift.8520

Seriously, this “CPU bound” argument has GOT to stop. I have an i7-2700k @ 4 GHz and I get the SAME performance as reported here with a GTX 680. Am I CPU bound too? What do you suggest I get as an upgrade so I can get more than 20 FPS in WvWvW considering all the components in my rig are nearly brand new and all carefully selected for performance and quality.

Bottom line: the game has problems with FPS in WvWvW and other areas and it is NOT our hardware.

GTX 680

Victus.9631

I in no way stated it fixes WvW performance. I stated it will/can increase performance based on other peoples findings I’ve seen.

GTX 680

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

Seriously, this “CPU bound” argument has GOT to stop.

I concur; my cores never go over 60% in this game. Windows does provide this information real-time—use it instead of guessing.

I want a real answer. I run the game in snowy areas with like 60-100 FPS all maxed, supersampling, all that. Though in some areas, Bloodtide, Hinterlands I struggle and get 40-60 FPS, even worse in events.

“all maxed, supersampling, all that” is why. Reduce reflections, supersampling, shadows to get the performance you want. Software capabilities always exceed hardware capabilities.

I agree GW2 can use some optimisation options to eliminate FPS sags, like limiting overall number of particle effects and controlling fog effects independently.

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

GTX 680

dacooli.6712

Hi Rolo and thanks for your answer. You don’t understand, reason why I bought gtx 680 was to max all games in years further, and im already struggling with GW2. OFC I can take down some settings but this does not reduce my dissapointment and even though all lag ill try to not bother it and keep on playing on highest settings, and also wait for this to get fixed, till then i wont WvWvW.

Note that in the betas and tests just days before the launch I completely maxed this game without trouble. thanks guys for you answers, i feel much better knowing its not at my end.

GTX 680

Posted by: seithan.4823

seithan.4823

Rig#1: i2500k@4Ghz/ 8GB Ram @ 1600/ Asus GTX580 CU
Rig#2: Core2duo@3Ghz/ 4GB DDR2/ 9800gtx+

GTX 680

seithan.4823

I can say that i noticed no real FPS boost when i cranked my 3.3 up to 4Ghz.

On the other hand i notice that sometimes my fps is not that good and comming back i see that my 580 is maxed out!

GTX 680

seithan.4823

Seriously, this “CPU bound” argument has GOT to stop.

I concur; my cores never go over 60% in this game. Windows does provide this information real-time—use it instead of guessing.

I want a real answer. I run the game in snowy areas with like 60-100 FPS all maxed, supersampling, all that. Though in some areas, Bloodtide, Hinterlands I struggle and get 40-60 FPS, even worse in events.

“all maxed, supersampling, all that” is why. Reduce reflections, supersampling, shadows to get the performance you want. Software capabilities always exceed hardware capabilities.

I agree GW2 can use some optimisation options to eliminate FPS sags, like limiting overall number of particle effects and controlling fog effects independently.

GTX 680

seithan.4823

i noticed the very same thing, my cpu cores stay around 60 most of the time while the video card is usually maxed out.

the odd thing is OCing my 580 gave no difference either! no thats wierd.