GTX 690 Low FPS

GTX 690 Low FPS

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: eiksto.2076

eiksto.2076

Hi all!

Right i am running GTX 690 with I5-2500K at 4.5Ghz and 8GB of RAM on 120hz monitor and i am getting 40 to 60 FPS, if i do turn the camera FPS drops to 23 or even lower sometimes. Also i just did world event in Norn area near Frusenfell Creek at it started snowing heavily during the event and my FPS droped to 23FPS i tried changing appearance to best performance and still had 23FPS…

I tried playing with shadows off, native rendering and all else on max and i get about 40 to 80FPS with reflections turned to Terrain and sky i get about 60 to 100 when nothing is happening on the screen. In fights they drop to 40 and 58 FPS.

I am running 306.23 WHQL drivers i have tested all other 306 beta drivers with no performance increase at all. I am running the cards in SLI and each card is at 45% GPU use when in game and sometimes drops even low and running on one card i get even worse FPS. CPU is at about 90% use.

I have tried core parking, Nvidia inspector, compatibility modes,Windows service pack 3, setting CPU to high priority on GW2 and more with no performance gain.

Arena net and Nvidia please sort this out as the games performance is terrible on GTX 690 with GPU use below 50%!

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: michaeljhuman.3940

michaeljhuman.3940

Welcome to the club. I have two GTX 670s in SLI.

Some claim this proves the game is CPU bound. That could explain why I can get as high as 150 fps in the game, but when the frame rate goes low, GPU util. seems to go low (maybe CPU utilization then goes high.)

You are hitting a pretty high CPU utilization possibly vindicating the CPU bound issue on our hardware ( I have a similar an Ivy Bridge CPU, i7 3770, but mine is mult. locked, so I can crank it up 400 Mhz to see if that helps.)

GTX 690 Low FPS

eiksto.2076

The game just does not use full GPU power simple as. In other games such as World of Warcraft i get about 70 to 120FPS with Nvidia settings turned to 4x AA and Anisotropic filtering on 16x and in game graphics set to max with DX11. In WoW both GPU’s are over 80% load and my GPU temp is around 62* to 70* while gaming and 32* idle.

In single player games such as Sleeping dogs i get constant and smooth +60 FPS on Extreme settings and again GPU load is over 80% on both cores.

In my opinion 600 series cards have big optimization problems in GW2 which need to be addressed as soon as possible.

My friend for example runs GTX 570 with Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz ( at stock clock) and in GW2 he gets constant smooth 60 FPS on 1600x resolution i believe. In my opinion it’s 600 series that have bad optimization.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Oddzball.4280

Oddzball.4280

You are overclocking that I2500k for one thing(Which they specifically say NOT to do). I get great FPS from a very similar setup.

I2500k
570 GTX
16 gigs DDR3

And I am ALWAYS above 60 FPS.

Something is wrong with your system.

GTX 690 Low FPS

eiksto.2076

You are running 500 series enough said.

GTX 690 Low FPS

eiksto.2076

Tried underclocking CPU to 3.6Ghz and CPU usage is at 60% both GPU cores at 45% to 60% load still same bad performance. It’s not my system it’s the game that has the problems.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: LethalBlade.6137

LethalBlade.6137

Underclock the CPU? LOL, that will LOWER your performance. The I5-2500K is designed for overclocking, and there is no reason to not do it. Not overclocking that CPU is wasting valuable power.

That being said, try turning off SLI if you haven’t already (run the card with one GPU) and see if that helps. MMOs are notorious for not working well with SLI.

GTX 690 Low FPS

eiksto.2076

If you saw Oddzball post he said overclocking CPU is not good for this game apparently. Also if you read my post i did say that i tried running on one card.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Oddzball.4280

I didn’t say its not good, i just know Anet said not to do it. Also;

You are running 500 series enough said.

What do you mean by this?

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Freetobe.3589

Freetobe.3589

I love ppl like Oddzball.4280 that state " herp I have 60 fps everywhere "

dont lie , I want to see your pc give 60fps on zergs in WvWvW.

In high WvWvW zergs , the gpu utilization goes down , but guess what .. the cpu also cool down .

but anyway I’m glad you have a PC from the future.

Lime

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Kui.7245

Kui.7245

Same bad performance here…

Running the game with:

i7 2600k OC 4.5
GTX 690
16gigs RAM 1600mhz
1200w PSU

(edited by Kui.7245)

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Varna.5162

Varna.5162

i5-2500k @ 4.7~4.9GHZ (does not make a difference)
690GTX
8GB of Ram 1600mhz

Same performance issues discussed. Really frustrating. I’ve read several people say that “690GTX has issues” with the game but I have yet to see a PR confirm said issue. For all I know this is never getting fixed. :/

GTX 690 Low FPS

Oddzball.4280

I’m sorry you feel that way Freetobe.

I just feel that Ive worked on enough computers in my lifetime to realize that 90% of the time its something on the user end, not the program.

Your graphics are either turned up higher then your hardware can support, you’ve got driver conflicts, a virus, virus scanner is slowing performance, OR it is possible that the 690GTX just has issues with the game. That isnt Anets fault, thats your hardware vendor’s fault.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Cbuzz.5083

Cbuzz.5083

You guy’ swith GTX690’s, can you verify both GPU’s are being utilized ingame?

Download MSI Afterburner:
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Monitor your GPU usage INGAME & report back. Pretty sure GW2 has issues with dual GPU cards. There is ZERO issues with SLi, just dual GPu on a single board.

I’ve seen plenty of posts with 590’s/295’s also having issues.

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Ettimer.4210

Ettimer.4210

Yes you are 100% correct about the way they utilize 2 GPU cards I have dual 8800m GT’s on mine. For the first 2 weeks I was unable to play on a freshly formatted Windows 7 install with only GW2 and thier 2 reporting tools installed.

I turned on my SLi indicator and noticed that it peaked to 60% in the character select screen and 20% in the actual game screen.

It took them 2 weeks of telling me that I had something else installed on my ‘vanilla’ computer before one day magically after a ‘game patch’ everything was running smooth at near max settings. That was the day some dev said “oops, we forgot support for a whole bunch of Nvidia cards!” and added them in.

OF course tech support was not informed because they kept sending me ‘advice’ an how to optimize my PC (which i faithfully did to appease thier needs) yet fully knowing the problem wasnt on my end.

They have serious issues with thier Nvidia GPU support. There are a lot of cards that utilize ‘shared memory’ that never gets used up in GW2.

After this last patch im back to 5-10 frames everywhere in game. Im guessing that some other dev went in messing around trying to ‘optimize’ things and broke us again.

Of course, my buddy just bought his ATi 7870 (it looks beautiful) and was getting 40-60 (vert-sync=ON) frames all day everywhere.

Until this last patch…

(edited by Ettimer.4210)

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Freetobe.3589

Freetobe.3589

Oddzball , I have here 3 pcs :

1 i3 2100 + 6870
1 i5 2500k + 7950
1 i5 3750k + GTX 2x 680 SLI

NONE of the can run the game allways over 60fps.

I can state that If I dont count with WvWvW.

If you say this : " my rig runs the game over 60 fps "
You are stating your computer can run the game in every situation over 60fps.

I want you to go to WvWvW and tell me if in a big zerg you have over 60fps.

In EVERY rig I have assembled and sold , and in my own rigs the game in WvWvW heavy zergs uses less than 40% of the gpu , and also it lowers the cpu usage , while giving lower than 30fps.

In great zerg situations none of those machines gets over 40fps , and the diference between them is minimal.

Are you telling me that your statement that your i5 2500k+ 570 can run the game ALLWAYS over 60fps ?

Are you sure ? Cause I can guarantee you than you can’t go near 60gps in big game zergs.

I do agree that in Pve You can get more than 60fps , but when you state " And I am ALWAYS above 60 FPS. " , I can cleary tell 1 of 2 things.

1- You never been in WvWvW in big zergs
2- Your telling lies.

Lime

GTX 690 Low FPS

Ettimer.4210

Previous to this last patch I could turn on the Nvidia SLi Visual Indicator and watch my GPU’s peak up to 80-90%.

After this last patch the NSVI stays mostly between 20-30% and never gets past 60% utilization. No matter what zone im in.

I am now getting 5-10 FPS no matter where I go in game.

However, in the character select screen my GPU’s hit 80-90%.

Someone tried to ‘optimize’ settings making this game unplayable again. This happened to me at launch too. 2 weeks later a game patch came out that fixed it…

Hope someone at AN is reading these….

Intel Duo2 Core 2.4Ghz
4GB RAM
Nvidia 8800m GT SLi 512mb + shared memory space

GTX 690 Low FPS

Ettimer.4210

I just feel that Ive worked on enough computers in my lifetime to realize that 90% of the time its something on the user end, not the program.

Your graphics are either turned up higher then your hardware can support, you’ve got driver conflicts, a virus, virus scanner is slowing performance, OR it is possible that the 690GTX just has issues with the game. That isnt Anets fault, thats your hardware vendor’s fault.

Lol…

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Kui.7245

Kui.7245

To Cbuzz, yes, it’s using both GPU’s, even if it weren’t, one GTX690 gpu should be enough to play this game @ 60fps.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Varna.5162

@Cbuzz

I’ve mention it several times. Both GPUs are being utilized. But only about 50/50. Sometimes higher but when a CPU choke point happens It goes into negative scaling and gives worse performance then a single GPU.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Cbuzz.5083

It’s a tough one with dual gpu single cards. Try this:

“Disable multi-GPU mode” option in the “Configure Multi-GPU, PhysX, Surround” section of the Nvidia Control Panel.

I think the second gpu on the single board is interfering & making thing worse at this stage.

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

GTX 690 Low FPS

Varna.5162

You can do that on a game per game basis in the control panel as well. It works the same… at least for this game.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Farami.2519

Farami.2519

My Spec:
i7-2600k @ 4Ghz
Nvidia GTX690
16GB Ram
1200W PSU
120HZ monitor (3d disabled! it’s unplayable when turned on)

I’m running the latest drivers, however I’ve tried earlier drivers aswell with no success.

I’ve tried using only one card aswell, no change.

My FPS range from 30 to 60, but drop as low as 20 at times.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Ferzend.6532

Ferzend.6532

its the game not our hardware, if someone with the best gpu claims he has low fps it just indicates that this game is unoptimized, i gave up yesterdat when i dropped from 40 to 15 fps in a cave, gpu usage was less than 50%. just downloaded world of tanks again and im enjoing my german tank destroyer
i recommend waiting till they fixed this mess, its just unplayable. very dissapointing. i did not expect this at all.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Cbuzz.5083

its the game not our hardware, if someone with the best gpu claims he has low fps it just indicates that this game is unoptimized, i gave up yesterdat when i dropped from 40 to 15 fps in a cave, gpu usage was less than 50%. just downloaded world of tanks again and im enjoing my german tank destroyer
i recommend waiting till they fixed this mess, its just unplayable. very dissapointing. i did not expect this at all.

Could just as easily be a driver issue. Don’t be so quick to point the finger.

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: EliteZ.1682

EliteZ.1682

Cbuzz, look around on this forum. There are hundreds of people getting low fps with good computers, i get around 20FPS in cities like LA,BC,DR ect and i ran the game on medium-high settings (I know my computer isn’t great but it should get more then 20FPS) Other times when i’m out doing events ect it’s normally around 40-60 but often lags when turning the screen suddenly I’d also like to point out i have the latest Nvidia driver. There is something wrong with the game that’s causing us to have low fps issues.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Brem.6792

Brem.6792

Dual cards can be tricky it is the risk you take when you buy one when they work there mazing but when they don’t work it can leave you with performance worse than running a single card.

Most people who have high end i5/i7 CPU’s and have really bad FPS probblems with Nvida cards seem to be either useing 600 seirs cards or running SLI inc the 690 dual gpu still uses SLI to make it work so my guess would be driver related.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Farami.2519

Farami.2519

@Brem:
Not entirely true. First of all a GTX690 is not like running SLI. A single multi-GPU card causes less trouble than a SLI setup.
Second, it’s running just as sloppy with one of the cores as it does with both.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Home Style.9640

Home Style.9640

To all the people saying “it’s your system”:

You’re allkitten and need to kitten.

It’s this games terrible engine and dx9. that is all.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Cito.6517

Cito.6517

Something is really off, and ignore anyone saying it’s your vid card being a 500 series. they are morons

to show you there is some problem with newer nvidia cards

I am playing guild wars 2 on the following

AMD Dual Core 4200 cpu
2 gigs kingston hyperx ram
EVGA GTX Plus 9800 Nvidia card with 1 gig ram
500 gig western digital black hard drive

my video card is old as hell, the last 9800 series before nvidia went to 3 digit numbers for cards.

I get 40-70 fps in pve and 25-30 fps in wvw and 30-50 fps in instanced pvp.

and my system was built back in 2007 for 600 bucks

Dude Suit Radio
24/7 Trance/Trip Hop/Ambient
http://www.dude-suit.net/dude-suit-radio/

GTX 690 Low FPS

Varna.5162

As if things couldn’t get any worse… one of the recent updates just killed FPS even more.

Now I can’t even get a steady 50 FPS in really isolated, secluded areas with not many players or enemies around. That Bandit cave for example in Queensdale. Getting really choppy 25~50 FPS while not even fighting. Just setting foot in the cave does it.

Is there any outlet were a rep might actually respond to this problem? I send in a ticket two weeks ago and nothing.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Cbuzz.5083

Cito.6517: Strong exaggerating.

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Masta Squidge.7438

Masta Squidge.7438

OR it is possible that the 690GTX just has issues with the game. That isnt Anets fault, thats your hardware vendor’s fault.

I disagree with your statement, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Game devs typically go through a compatibility process with major hardware. This includes current, and to a very limited extent future hardware if something has been finalized internally but not released to the public. I am sure anet has all kinds of fancy software from both AMD and Nvidia to test compatibility, and hardware vendors typically follow a very strict set of guidelines in terms of what modifications they can make to a reference design.

They do not always however utilize it to its fullest potential.

That is not to say you are wrong, because you aren’t, just that this particular thing is on both sides of the fence.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Masta Squidge.7438

Masta Squidge.7438

Also, at the risk of being crucified here, RIFT has seriously horrible resource management as well, and they haven’t done crap about it except tell people to update their drivers.

GTX 690 Low FPS

eiksto.2076

Cito.6517 Please don’t tell me you are serious…. /face palm it’s problem with kepler architecture it’s new and most likely they are struggling to optimize it while fermi has been out for ages so it’s obvious 500 series gets better performance and some of the higher end cards below 500 series.

GTX 690 Low FPS

michaeljhuman.3940

After weeks of playing the game, monitoring the game, and reading, I can only come to one conclusion (which I don’t assert is true, I simply can’t come to any other conclusion.)

The game is CPU bound IF your GPU power is sufficient.

On the bright side, my i7 3770 CPU equipped, dual GTX 670 equipped PC handles the game on max settings. Even though frames can drop to 40fps, even worse in WvW, it’s still fully playable ( for me it’s fully playable, I can’t comment on others.)

In fact, it’s more than playable…I saw no stuttering in WvW even when seeing fps plummet. Still seemed pretty smooth.

So there’s hope. And there’s hope that future optimizations could maybe help.

Optimization is not simple. I work in software development. Not only do you have to do analysis, which is not easy, you have to implement optimizations AND not break what already works.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: ZaxanRazor.6235

ZaxanRazor.6235

Did the OP try disabling SLI?

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: TheRealLink.3861

TheRealLink.3861

Agreed. GTX 680 here and while I hold 60+ most of the time, harder areas put me in the 40s (not counting Bandit Cave). Finally just did some video testing with Precision and my GPU is solidly sitting at about 50% utilization at 1600×1200 all settings on High or Ultra.

Running Xeons at 3.6. I can’t go much higher due to the board I have.

Even at 1920×1200 at the top of Divinity’s Reach near the Queen’s Court garden area, I only lost 2-3 FPS despite a higher res change. This either means:

1. Game is CPU-bound
2. Kepler / 306.xx drivers (or the game) are not yet fully optimized

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Hedge Dixon.5816

Hedge Dixon.5816

Hi there,

using a GTX690 gives me the same performance problems. After doing a lot of research I’m pretty sure it definitely does depend on the GPU in this particular case. Here are the quick facts of my configuration:

Intel i7 3770k (OC 4.4GHz)
Gainward GTX690
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz (Quad Channel)
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD

While I hardly reach more then 60FPS, I have heard of people getting twice as much with almost the same configuration but a different GPU (e.g. series 500 cards). Also keep in mind, that the GTX690 is designed for high performance gaming, which makes this issue a software problem, leading to the conclusion that we can only wait for either A-Net or Nvidia to release a game or driver update.

Greetings from Germany,
Dixon

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Puma Pompom.5632

Puma Pompom.5632

So if i got two 590’s I would not be able to run over 120fps all the time?

GTX 690 Low FPS

Varna.5162

No PC is capable of that.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Varna.5162

I did a lot of the recent tweaks that were posted the last couple of days. Most involved turning off core parking and lower DPC latency. They did help a bit with the camera stuttering but something about this game just isn’t right when it comes to the 690GTX.

For example, Charr starting field. Game is running at a solid 60 FPS with very little stuttering. But as soon as one of those NPCs fires a mortar my frame-rate just gets cut in half. This particular thing has nothing to do with many players limiting the CPU.

GTX 690 Low FPS

michaeljhuman.3940

I get between 60fps and 160fps+ with my GTX 670×2. Maybe the reason we both have low fps is the same, maybe not.

It seems like your situation is worse, Varna, as I almost never get stutter even in WvW.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Varna.5162

Yup. It’s super frustrating. I’ve done literally everything (save for a reformat) to make sure my system is 100% stable. The stuttering is just unbearable. I’ve sent two support tickets to Anet and they won’t even do me the courtesy of sending me some BS PR response.

I’m nearly 100% certain this has to do with the 690GTX. I put it in my 580GTX. Stuttering gone.

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

You just went out and spent $1,000 on a video card and told us you put it on an I5-2500K? What is wrong with you?!

It’s a wonder why horrible companies like Alienware are making millions off consumers!

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

You are overclocking that I2500k for one thing(Which they specifically say NOT to do). I get great FPS from a very similar setup.

I2500k
570 GTX
16 gigs DDR3

And I am ALWAYS above 60 FPS.

Something is wrong with your system.

The reason they said that was because the game ‘was’ CPU bound. It no longer is ‘pure’ CPU bound (still is in many cases). When you overclock on something that’s hitting the CPU hard it has a greater chance of crashing because the overclock was unstable and higher loads.

Most games do NOT put on massive loads (I’m taking 50%+ CPU usage on ALL cores) and there for the users overclock will not get fully tested. When GW2 was CPU bound it put a higher load on the cores, thus hitting more usage and pushing the CPU to lock up.

Bad overclocks hurt frame rates and system crashes
Good overclocks increase frame rates and run stable

G.I. Joe — the more you know

GTX 690 Low FPS

Posted by: lcizzle.8219

lcizzle.8219

Basically if you are overclocked and the game is running like crap.

You need to read this.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/568525-setfsb-game-timing-problem-g60jx-2.html#post7364805

GTX 690 Low FPS

Varna.5162

i5-2500k is perfectly capable of utilizing the 690GTX. 3570k/3770k would have measurable improvement in really CPU intensive tittles, but we are talking about 120 FPS VS 140 FPS. This is obviously not what we are seeing in this game. We are talking about sub 30 FPS, at 1080p with tons of stuttering.

GTX 690 Low FPS

eiksto.2076

Crawford I5 2500K has no problem utilizing GTX 690, there is not much improvement even using I7 Ivybridge with GTX 690 over I5 2500K when gaming go check out the benchmarks. Plus it’s custom build underwater PC so i don’t know what you are talking about.

Also just to add about GW2 FPS it looks like a lot of FPS drops are caused by fog effects, at least for me there is something that is causing massive FPS drops when fog effects appear but if i alt tab and alt tab back in the game FPS returns to normal maybe it’s just a bug.

GTX 690 Low FPS

michaeljhuman.3940

Yeah, the negative comment about the 2500 K makes no sense. If you overclock it to (and beyond) i7 3700 stock, which should be trivial, say to 4.2 Ghz or better, it’s going to run the game about as well as the i7 3770 based on how these things usually seem to work.

Not sure why you think otherwise, unless you have some hard proof; in the absence of hard proof, the normal assumption is i5 and i7 run the same for games, only clock should matter. And the Sandy Bridge CPUs OC very well based on anecdotal evidence.