GW-GW2-linking issue: unable to link accounts

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Shew.6827

Shew.6827

Hi Support Team,

I am trying to link my Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 accounts via the “Upgrade or Link Accounts” tab of the “My Account” section. After entering my Guild Wars username and password, I’m taken to the success page for linking accounts (with the birthday quaggan), but my username changes from “Shew.6827” to what looks to be like <serial code>.<another 4-digit number>. If I log out of my account and log back in, returning to the upgrade/link accounts section, the page asks me to input my Guild Wars username and password again, as if I haven’t linked the accounts.

I checked in-game (GW2) to see if Kimmes the Historian would return my rewards, but he acts as though I haven’t linked my accounts. I’ve made sure to switch the HoM to account mode in GW1. Am I doing anything incorrectly, or is there something wrong with the site? Please let me know if there’s anymore information I should provide you with. I obtained the associated Guild Wars account via the in-game store.

username: Shew.6827
character’s name: Shew

Posted by: Cevlakohn.2165

Cevlakohn.2165

I have almost the exact same issue. [Dunno if I should make a new thread for this, but it seems I’m having almost the same issues as Shew here, so…]

I had a GW1 account when I first set up my GW2 account, but didn’t link them at that time— I only just now decided to go and link them. I can still log in to GW1, so I am remembering the acct info correctly.

My GW1 account was under a different (now defunct) email address than the one my GW2 account is under. The account settings website seems… confused by this. I logged in using newemail@gmail.com, but each time I link the two accounts, it relogs me in as oldemail@yahoo.com. Then when I log back in as newemail@gmail.com is acts like I haven’t linked them. However, when I log out then log back in to the website using oldemail@yahoo.com, it DOES remember that the accounts are linked! Significantly, though, it doesn’t give the account name for the GW2 account.

It also says on the account page that “The following Guild Wars 2 account information will now be used to log in to both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2: oldemail@yahoo.com”. However, I am unable to log in to Guild Wars 2 using this email (with either my GW1 password or my GW2 password)… when I attempt to do so, it (correctly) says that “You are attempting to log in with an account that does not have Guild Wars 2 registered to it.” I’m worried that the website may assume that everyone will be using the same email for both games (<_<), and that I have linked my GW1 account to a nonexistent GW2 account that uses the same log-in information. If so, this is a problem.

Shew, do you use the same e-mail address to log in to both games?

(edited by Cevlakohn.2165)

Shew.6827

This is great! I mean, not that we can’t link accounts, but it seems we both have the same (or very similar) issue.

I’m using a different username (NCSOFT suffix) to log into GW1 than GW2. I can log into this website with the GW1 information, and it says my accounts are linked. But if I log into this site with the GW2 info, it appears my accounts have not been linked. I don’t have access to GW2 with the GW1 info, though, so I’m still using two different sets of info to log into GW1 and GW2.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ugghhh…I dislike the forum’s need to wipe out posts when it decides it is time to ‘log in’.

Once sucessfully linked, both games will use the same email address (Account Name) to log in. This is expected and usual. It sounds like, in some cases, once you have associated a new email address with your account, this information may not be making it to the ‘linking accounts’ part of the program. I don’t know.

Whatever the cause, you will both best be served by contacting CS for assistance with your issue. Top of Page – Services and/or Support – Submit a Request.

Good luck.

Shew.6827

I did not look hard enough for that. Thanks & will do!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

If you still need help, please don’t hesitate to submit a ticket by clicking “Support” above and then using the “Submit a request” tab to fill out a ticket. Customer Support would be happy to help.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: revotech.5869

revotech.5869

Thought I would just add that I am having the same problem.

I followed the same process that you did, entering the Guild Wars 1 details in to link under my Guild Wars 2 account and I was told that I had successfully linked my Guild Wars account (also with the serial number-looking display name showing up).

Unfortunately I’m not offered any reward in HOM and an error is thrown about not having a linked GW2 account when I try to use the GW account details.

Will be sending a support request shortly hopefully.

Posted by: Farid.4839

Farid.4839

I’ve got the same issue as you guys. I’ve tried to contact Guild Wars 2 Support like a week ago, but they haven’t responded yet.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I’ve got the same issue as you guys. I’ve tried to contact Guild Wars 2 Support like a week ago, but they haven’t responded yet.

You should have at least gotten an automated email response shortly after you sent off the ticket. Check your spam and junk folders to see if it’s in there. If you can’t find it, read this thread https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Not-Getting-Our-E-mails-Hotmail-Yahoo-Gmail-Comcast.

Posted by: Bartosz.2013

Bartosz.2013

Ye i cant link my accounts to, Got the same problem

Posted by: Brawler.6317

Brawler.6317

I’m having the same problem.

Got GW Trial, liked it.
Purchased GW1 Platinum (comes with EOTN) yesterday, upgraded my trial account.
When I try to link accounts I get exact symptoms as OP and it doesn’t link.
Both accounts still have separate logins and passwords after linking.

If there are any logs feel free to check the numerous attempts I’ve had trying to link the two accounts

I want to purchase the rest of the expansions too but not being able to link accounts has really put me off.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

As mentioned above, contact CS for assistance with linking your accounts.

Good luck.

Bartosz.2013

Ye i did it yesterday, BTW is support working on sunday to? Shew, cevlakon is ur problem fixed?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

CS works 24/7, 365 days a year. They will contact you to assist with the issue as soon as your ticket comes up in the queue. =)

Brawler.6317

Thanks, I raised a ticket lets see how it goes.

If fixed then going to purchase the rest of the trilogy. Hopefully don’t have issues with earning HOM points from the trilogy if I add it to my Original GW account after the accounts have been linked…

Shew.6827

Ye i did it yesterday, BTW is support working on sunday to? Shew, cevlakon is ur problem fixed?

Not quite. I went through a password-reset procedure via CS, but the problem’s still there. Just responded to the ticket, and I’ll let y’all know when this gets fixed.

EDIT: Thank you, CS! They resolved the issue this morning.

(edited by Shew.6827)

Posted by: Omegasama.2084

Omegasama.2084

Seems like there is a lot of people are having the same issues. I have no idea whats going on. Am still waiting for them to reply my ticket

Posted by: Buckshot.1503

Buckshot.1503

Where do i make a ticket for this problem my account also fails to link up

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Where do i make a ticket for this problem my account also fails to link up

Here you go: https://help.guildwars2.com/anonymous_requests/new

Good luck.

Brawler.6317

Must be a widespread problem if so many are having this issue. Still haven’t received a response from support aside from the automated message saying ticket received, almost 3 days now…

Bartosz.2013

well im waiting since saturday, but 2 days ago support told me to wait just a little longer, so i hope they will do smth soon :P

Shew, can u tell me how ur problem got fixed?

(edited by Bartosz.2013)

Brawler.6317

I just received a response to my ticket saying it has been escalated.

Anyone else receive a reply for their ticket yet?

Brawler.6317

Received another response telling me my GW account isn’t linked to my GW2 account and provided me instructions how to link my accounts

Gave benefit of the doubt and tried it again anyway and it didn’t work. I sent more information back about what happens when I try to link.

I’m in no rush as I’m still getting my feet wet in Original GW and I can understand how low priority this issue must be compared to some other stuff people may be experiencing.

Hopefully this issue is rooted out eventually.

Brawler.6317

Sweet that was a quick response. Just as I posted that received a response from support. They linked my Original GW account to my GW2 account so I should be able to login both accounts using my email and receive the HOM rewards.

Can’t wait to test it out when I get home from work

Buckshot.1503

So i got a reply from the support team
this was it :
Hi Jondalar,

Thank you for providing that information

If you are wondering if your Guild Wars 2 account is linked to a Guild Wars account, this can be verified by logging in with your Guild Wars 2 account at https://account.guildwars2.com and clicking Link Accounts on the left-hand side of the page. If the account is already linked, you will see the message “Your Guild Wars accounts are linked!”

If you’d like to link an original Guild Wars account to a Guild Wars 2 account, this feature is now available! Please visit the following Knowledge Base article which will describe and cover all the steps needed to complete this:

http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8961

Please note: Once you link a Guild Wars account to Guild Wars 2, you cannot unlink them. Choose wisely and type carefully!

Regards,

Charles
Guild Wars 2 Support Team

now it could be me but i really didnt ask how to link the accounts but that it didnt work dispite following the right steps
seen here:
Dear support team,

Recently i have tried to link my guild wars 2 account with my guild wars 1 account.
So when i put in the right information on the guildwars2 account page to link it it changed to my guild wars 1 info and it showed me a congratulations screen that i successfully linked the accounts. But when I log out and log in again it tells me that i can still link my account as if nothing had happened.

Brawler.6317

Well it’s official. Accounts are linked and working now with the one login and can see HOM rewards GM Anduril needs a promotion and subsequently a payrise

Buckshot: reply back to them and tell them what happens when you follow their directions to link accounts. If you copy paste the long numerical id number i think they know how to link your account to that number.

Bartosz.2013

Hello, i got linked my accounts today, i had to tell support my informations like login, serial codes etc of my guild wars 1 and 2 account and they linked them

Buckshot.1503

So I made a reply to them where i describe what happens when i follow the steps
I even added 2 screenshots… hope it will work now hope they can help me

Bartosz.2013

So I made a reply to them where i describe what happens when i follow the steps
I even added 2 screenshots… hope it will work now hope they can help me

Don’t worry, if u cant link accounts now, u will have to tell support same informations like me before and they will link them for sure

Buckshot.1503

Oh i was wondering i made a reply on the email i got from the support team does that work or do i need to make a new ticket again for them to see it ? xD

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Oh i was wondering i made a reply on the email i got from the support team does that work or do i need to make a new ticket again for them to see it ? xD

No need for a new ticket, that will just slow down the process. You can reply to the email CS sent you.

Good luck.

Posted by: Rodrigo Helder.3895

Rodrigo Helder.3895

After experiencing the linking issue, I found this thread. Very helpful; I just made a ticket. This may sound weird, but I actually do feel better knowing more people have experienced this issue. And most importantly; it got fixed So, now I will wait for CS to get to my ticket.

Buckshot.1503

YEEEEEEAAAH they linked my accounts it happened im so happy !!
just thought id let you guys know you people also get some thanks from me Thanks people !!

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I’m happy to see the “resolved” comments, but if anyone needs help, please submit a ticket by clicking “Support” at the top of this page and then clicking the “Submit a request” option. Provide as much information as possible in the web form, which will create a ticket within the support system. If you do not know some of the information requested, leave the field blank. However, there are two drop-down areas that require an answer so be sure to choose from those fields so the ticket is properly submitted. Once you’ve done that, the CS Team should be able to help you.

Oh, and I just noticed one player was confused about “Why did they tell me how to link?” The reason is that in the instructions there are steps to use to see if your accounts already are linked, so we want to provide those so that players can verify if, perhaps, the linkage already took place.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Zinnia Rose.9425

Zinnia Rose.9425

I am having the exact same issue with linking (weird serial number and all) so this bug is still ongoing. Like others in this thread, I have different email addresses linked to my GW1 and GW2 accounts, so that may be the cause of the issue.

In any case, I’ve submitted a ticket, so fingers crossed it’ll be sorted soon!

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I am having the exact same issue with linking (weird serial number and all) so this bug is still ongoing. Like others in this thread, I have different email addresses linked to my GW1 and GW2 accounts, so that may be the cause of the issue.

In any case, I’ve submitted a ticket, so fingers crossed it’ll be sorted soon!

Thanks for this info, ZR. If you don’t have an answer by, say, tomorrow, could you post in the Tickets for Review thread, so I can take a peek?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: nVu.6972

nVu.6972

Same problem here. I did submit a ticket some minutes ago, so should be alright. Got a name@ncsoft for my gw1 (also don’t know why other people have normal e-mail addresses) and @gmail for gw2. Fortunately I’m not the only one

Posted by: SingularityEclipse.4796

SingularityEclipse.4796

I don’t know if this will help everyone, but I went through a bit of an ordeal helping my wife link her accounts. She loved gw2 and wanted to earn some rewards, so we got her gw1. Having bought it through NCSoft, the login ended up being an @ncsoft one.

The complication came when using the gw2 site. She logged in, went to Link Accounts, and it asked for her credentials for gw1. Now, my memory is fuzzy on the next part, but what I remember is that it asks you to log in again, and we kept putting the same login in (I think it was the gw2 login info) and it wouldn’t work. But then, at some point, after contacting support and getting nowhere, we tried that last login with the other account (I think it was the gw1 info) and suddenly the link happened.

Sorry if that’s a big vague, I just remember it appearing that one login should be used, but the other was actually the right one to enter. Hopefully that helps (instead of making it even more confusing.)

Posted by: DoR.7625

DoR.7625

I still have this issue, and no response from CS… Starting to get worried

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

If you give me a ticket number, I’ll be happy to look at the ticket!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

DoR.7625

If you give me a ticket number, I’ll be happy to look at the ticket!

My ticket number is 777267. Thanks so much i’m so worried right now, would be awesome if you helped me out!

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I looked at the ticket and this is simply a matter of waiting until an agent can address the issue. I should remind you that you log into either account using an e-mail address and never a Display Name. If you’re attempting the linking process using a Display Name, that might account for the issue you’re having.

Beyond that, please wait for an agent to review and respond. Thanks for your patience.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

DoR.7625

I looked at the ticket and this is simply a matter of waiting until an agent can address the issue. I should remind you that you log into either account using an e-mail address and never a Display Name. If you’re attempting the linking process using a Display Name, that might account for the issue you’re having.

Beyond that, please wait for an agent to review and respond. Thanks for your patience.

That’s not the issue since I tried to input my e-mail instead of my display name and I still get an error message instead of that bug… The message is: “A server error has been encountered. Please wait a moment and try again.”
I really need help, CS doesn’t responde -.-

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

That’s not the issue since I tried to input my e-mail instead of my display name and I still get an error message instead of that bug… The message is: “A server error has been encountered. Please wait a moment and try again.”
I really need help, CS doesn’t responde -.-

You’ve posted in multiple threads on the forums and you’ve sent me a private message, which we ask that forum members not do for individual issues. All I can do at this point is ask that you please allow the team time to address your issue. Thank you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

DoR.7625

Sorry that won’t happen again, i just lost my mind and started panicking. I can only apology to you at this point and promise that this won’t happen again. And thanks for keeping me updated.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Sorry that won’t happen again, i just lost my mind and started panicking. I can only apology to you at this point and promise that this won’t happen again. And thanks for keeping me updated.

I do understand and sympathize with this, don’t worry about that. I know that when you’re ready to play, having to wait to get into the game is frustrating, and when you want to link, being able to do so right away is a really good thing.

I’m sorry you’re having the issues, and I do believe you’ll be helped soon!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

I’m not sure if you are having the same issue I had 11 months ago, but I got it solved after several frustrating days: If I recall correctly you first had to login to your GW2 account, go to the account page and click on “upgrade or link accounts”. Then you were asked to provide you GW login data and after submitting you were taken to another login page asking to provide your GW login data. I thought at that point that you had to type the same thing again – for confirmation or whatever – but instead you had to type in your GW2 credentials! This drove me crazy because the website did not explicitly distinguish between GW1 and GW2.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

It occurred to me we have a pretty comprehensive Knowledge Base article about account linking. It’s here: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28147506-Guild-Wars-Accounts-Their-Effect-on-Guild-Wars-2

If you guys are following the steps and it’s not working, we need a ticket. If you believe the article has an error or if some of the steps are unclear, I’d really appreciate if you point that out, so that we can do a review and rewrite.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: nVu.6972

nVu.6972

It occurred to me we have a pretty comprehensive Knowledge Base article about account linking. It’s here: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28147506-Guild-Wars-Accounts-Their-Effect-on-Guild-Wars-2

If you guys are following the steps and it’s not working, we need a ticket. If you believe the article has an error or if some of the steps are unclear, I’d really appreciate if you point that out, so that we can do a review and rewrite.

Ye tried it exactly as stated in the guide.

1.Sign in to your Guild Wars 2 account at https://account.guildwars2.com.
2. Click Link Accounts on the left-hand side.
3. Enter your original Guild Wars account name and password exactly as you would if you were logging in.
4. Click the Link Account button.

After that everything changes
A page shows up with:
5.Upgrade or link your Guild Wars account (already showing the random display name)

Click OK to finish linking your original Guild Wars account to your Guild Wars 2 account to gain access to your earned achievements and rewards in the Hall of Monuments. This will be irreversible. Once both accounts are linked, your Guild Wars 2 account information will be used to log in to both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2.

6. After clicking “OK” It shows the standard edit profile page, however still with the random display name and showing name@ncsoft as e-mail. I can click on “Link accounts” which then states:
“Your Guild Wars accounts are linked” again with the name@ncsoft (so the gw1 mail, instead of my gw2 mail and display name).

Unfortunately it’s not working as it should, I already send a ticket yesterday though. Probably gets fixed soon, just like the other people in this topic .

(edited by nVu.6972)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Thanks, nVu. I am glad you sent a ticket — I want an agent to review the process and your notes to find a fix for this.

Oh, and I should say that while it’s an inconvenience to not be linked, don’t worry, all your rewards from GW will be awarded in GW2, as soon as we can get you linked up. It’s a nuisance, but the records will be retained so you get full credit.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet