GW2 Optimization, worse than I thought

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

Bought a new rig, thankfully not for GW2, since I’d be more angry at these results:

Core i5 4670K Quad-Core Haswell @3.4GhZ (non-OC atm)
Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB
8GB Corsair Vengeance
240GB Samsung SSD

First time firing up GW2 on the rig, auto-detected all settings to high/max. Upon loading Lion’s Arch, I found frames dropping to as low as 16.

This is disappointing, tbh. Are there any plans to change this for the better?

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Hi George Steel,

Your system should definitely be able to handle Guild Wars 2 with higher framerates than that. I’d like for you to submit a support ticket and contact us directly so we can further assist you one on one with this problem and hopefully narrow down the cause.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Bought a new rig, thankfully not for GW2, since I’d be more angry at these results:

Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB
8GB Corsair Vengeance
240GB Samsung SSD

First time firing up GW2 on the rig, auto-detected all settings to high/max. Upon loading Lion’s Arch, I found frames dropping to as low as 16.

GPU-Z
CPU-Z
CoreTemp

use CPU-Z to verify your PCI-E Link speeds (needs to be 16x or 8x), as well as core voltage

use GPU-Z to verify Graphic Load/Utilization and Temps

use Coretemp to verify Core Load% and Temps

I suggest the following for your i5;

Disable HT
Disable Turbo boost
Verify stable temp of 45-55c, then set your Clock to x45/x46(if you have a z87 Motherboard).

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Exiled Dbl.9035

Exiled Dbl.9035

I have a faster setup than the guy that started this thread and people have faster setups than me alot do this isnt the problem the problem is this game is coded bad, cant balance cores/threads or take advantage of them properly, let alone its in Direct X 9…… LOL

3570k oc 4.5Ghz on Water, 16 Gigs of RAM 1866, 2 SSD’s in RAID 0, 2x Gigabyte GTX 760 OC SLI

George Steel.1804

Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB
8GB Corsair Vengeance
240GB Samsung SSD

GPU-Z
CPU-Z
CoreTemp

use CPU-Z to verify your PCI-E Link speeds (needs to be 16x or 8x), as well as core voltage

Disable HT
Disable Turbo boost
Verify stable temp of 45-55c, then set your Clock to x45/x46(if you have a z87 Motherboard).

Have verified all temps, core/ht speeds, etc via these monitoring tools very early on (before launching any of my games).

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

ikereid.4637

Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB
8GB Corsair Vengeance
240GB Samsung SSD

GPU-Z
CPU-Z
CoreTemp

Disable HT
Disable Turbo boost

Have verified all temps, core/ht speeds, etc via these monitoring tools very early on (before launching any of my games).

what about during the game(s)?

ikereid.4637

I have a faster setup than the guy that started this thread and people have faster setups than me alot do this isnt the problem the problem is this game is coded bad, cant balance cores/threads or take advantage of them properly, let alone its in Direct X 9…… LOL

Your not helping, please go away.

Posted by: TinkTinkPOOF.9201

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

Please show a screen of all your in game settings, there are some choice settings in the game that add very little eye candy but cause a massive hit to performance. Also screens of temps and loads of both CPU and GPU while in game (at least 15mins) would be helpful as well.

6700k@5GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB 850 SSD | GTX980Ti | 27" 144Hz Gsync

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

You have to remember also that LA is the worst place right now to check your framerate. Everyone is there right now because of Wintersday achievements. I have a pretty old rig and usually have no trouble in LA, but right now I can hardly move the frames are so bad.

George Steel.1804

Here, this shows my temps, usage, card usage, and ingame fps (21). My processor is nearly at 3.6, card usage not 100% (expected) but frames are still not NEAR where they should be, and this is without supersampling and even certain “very high” options enabled.

Attachments:

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Posted by: Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

I noticed you have a quadcore, as do I. With GW2 being such a CPU-intense game, and not as much GPU, I saw a noticeable benefit when I unparked my unused cores. If you haven’t tried that yet, might not hurt to give a look:

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

ikereid.4637

Here, this shows my temps, usage, card usage, and ingame fps (21). My processor is nearly at 3.6, card usage not 100% (expected) but frames are still not NEAR where they should be, and this is without supersampling and even certain “very high” options enabled.

Your performance is normal for this game. OC that 4670K to 4.5Ghz and youll get 7-9 more FPS.

My system details are attached.

Attachments:

Posted by: TinkTinkPOOF.9201

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

Change reflections to terrain and sky or none and see how that changes.

6700k@5GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB 850 SSD | GTX980Ti | 27" 144Hz Gsync

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

Having looked at your screenshot I noticed right away two issues. First off you have “Character Model Limit” and “Character Model Quality” on high. Lower both of these to see a substantial FPS gain. Its well known since the culling change months ago that both of these options severely impact performance.

Second issue is you have “High Resolution Character Textures” enabled. This loads high end textures for every NPC in visual range. In a town like LA that is guaranteed to lower FPS considerably due to the large number of NPC’s.

And as an FYI I have a better rig and see roughly 35 or so FPS in LA with all options maxed. So your scores of 21 fps (with the setting I noted enabled) sounds about right to be frank.

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Hi George Steel,

Your system should definitely be able to handle Guild Wars 2 with higher framerates than that. I’d like for you to submit a support ticket and contact us directly so we can further assist you one on one with this problem and hopefully narrow down the cause.

Anet needs to start a OMFG (operation: make faster game).

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Actually something did happen this update that slowed me down too. I have an i5-750.

My culling options are on Lowest-Low yet I’m still seeing virtually every nameplate. Though even in areas with only 12 people it still seems slower.

So it’s likely that your new rig came in at a bad time for GW2.

All the testing I’ve done has indicated that it is a CPU issue and not instigated by the GPU or graphics settings in any way.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: YangZA.6382

YangZA.6382

Its those kitten snowflakes!

Try disable Vsync, as well as your Supersample settings. Also try reset you Nvidia Control panel settings to either Application Controlled or Defaults.

On Cloud ATi things appear much more normal

Posted by: Sir Gwaine Balinor.5410

Sir Gwaine Balinor.5410

That’s got to be the coolest Haswell cpu I’ve ever seen.

Granted I have mine overclocked to 4.4Ghz, my temps hit 75c in the middle of a game.

Honestly though, Lions Arch is normally crowded with people. If you just turn down the character limit your fps will be a lot better.

Also, turn off v-sync if you can’t get a constant 60fps. (which you’re never going to get) it should help with stuttering.
I normally just limit my fps to 30, I can’t really tell the difference except in fps games.

Posted by: Grebcol.5984

Grebcol.5984

This game needs really a better Optimization,why is there no better multicore usage? Why does this game not better using the graphiccards? i didnt also see a nividia or Ati driver who improve specially gw 2.
i think this should be on place 1 on the “to do” list anet.

Posted by: chris.9142

chris.9142

The problems is notnwith The gpu through so drivers won’t help ut is a cpu issues no processor is fast enough to run The games bad coding

I5-4670k @4.2Ghz – 8Gb 2133mhz Gskill
Msi Z87 Gaming Board AMD R9 270x
-crucial 256 M500 SSD -Samsung 500Gb HDD

Posted by: Grebcol.5984

Grebcol.5984

problem is gw 2 doenst have good mutlicore support and there is the main problem.i think when this game use 2-3 cores it will run a lot smoother than now.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

The two biggest fps killers for me are reflections and supersampling. You could try turning off reflections (post processing too unless you like glowing water) and setting Render Sampling to Native.

(edited by Paul.4081)

Aza.2105

This game will end up just like Lineage 2 in regards to performance. Even 10 years later after the game came out, no hardware can run it has 60fps constantly since its so poorly optimized.

In 5 years people will still complain about gw2 performance, even with cpus and gpus that dwarf what we have today. Anet really needs to optimize the game engine to take advantage of multi cores and gpus. But I don’t feel they will ever do this.

Windows 10

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

problem is gw 2 doenst have good mutlicore support and there is the main problem.i think when this game use 2-3 cores it will run a lot smoother than now.

It already uses 2-3 cores, it just doesn’t scale past that. The game is multithreaded, it has over 40 threads running but only 8 or so are using 20% or more of a core each with two at around 50% and one using above 75%. The performance of that lone 75% thread determines overall performance which is why people keep referring to single thread performance. The faster the CPU, the faster that thread can run and the higher the frame rate.

A faster GPU doesn’t help because it’s binding on the CPU side of the renderer, setting up all the calls to the driver. The game uses Dx9 so the renderer can’t be multithreaded easily if at all.

Reflections and shadows are both CPU intensive, turning down those options will improve your frame rate.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: NightShadow.1429

NightShadow.1429

Like other have stated, there really is no need to have absolutely everything on high, there’s very little difference in terms of visuals by turning down your character limit and quality, and putting shadows to medium as well as reflections to water and terrain. Also I find no need for the Vsync, all it does is artificially lower your fps to begin with.

Example of my settings and also just showing the fps difference just by moving my camera and looking in a different, less busy area.

Attachments:

“Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

(edited by NightShadow.1429)

Posted by: seekerking.2875

seekerking.2875

Delete local.dat for faster loading times in Lion’s Arch and other maps.

Lion’s arch is by far the worst place to appraise FPS performance. It’s crowded, particle effects are immense especially with FOV increased distances. Reduce the amount of rendering your machine needs by changing the character models and reflections down.

If you have no already, unpark all cores that are on your machine.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Thing is though. I used a proggy to check my computer performance while running GW2. I went to the Black Citadel (which ran better at launch then it does now I might add so good job performance team) and was dropping from 60 to 40fps. The proggy (gpu-z or something) was showing that my graphics card, memory and processor were all hovering around the 70% mark while this was happening. Our computers have the capabilities but GW2 is not utilising them. With other games like BL2 etc. I don’t have this problem.

We shouldn’t have to jump through all these hoops. The game is simply not running up to par in the year of 2013.

no need for the Vsync, all it does is artificially lower your fps to begin with.

And removes screen tearing. I always use Vsync because screen tearing looks horrible. It’s not as bad in this game as others when Vsync is off but still.

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: CursedShaitan.9720

CursedShaitan.9720

Try disabling best texturing filtering. Its got a very high frame cost on my system (23 fps) and does very very little visually to the game when turned on compared to every other setting. Try running everything else max’d and switch back and forth between best texture filtering. If it behaves for you like it does for me i suspect you’ll have no probably running with it off and not feeling like you’ve had to sacrifice anything.

Aza.2105

It already uses 2-3 cores, it just doesn’t scale past that. The game is multithreaded, it has over 40 threads running but only 8 or so are using 20% or more of a core each with two at around 50% and one using above 75%. The performance of that lone 75% thread determines overall performance which is why people keep referring to single thread performance. The faster the CPU, the faster that thread can run and the higher the frame rate.

A faster GPU doesn’t help because it’s binding on the CPU side of the renderer, setting up all the calls to the driver. The game uses Dx9 so the renderer can’t be multithreaded easily if at all.

Reflections and shadows are both CPU intensive, turning down those options will improve your frame rate.

Its making poor use of multi core cpus. Lineage 2 uses 2 cores as well and it still runs at 20fps on todays machines. Do not try to make excuses for the optimization in this game, by no means does this game genuinely take advantage of multi threading.

Windows 10

ikereid.4637

Its making poor use of multi core cpus. Lineage 2 uses 2 cores as well and it still runs at 20fps on todays machines. Do not try to make excuses for the optimization in this game, by no means does this game genuinely take advantage of multi threading.

Kind of Correct.

The Main application thread does not do ANYTHING with Multi-threading. It will home to 1 Core and stay there, never splitting its I/O up (Like it should!). But, it will spawn a crap ton of worker processes. That is how this game multi-threads :-) Through additional processes, and not threading the main application.

Behellagh.1468

Yes but the renderer is in it’s own thread and it’s synced with the driver thread. Multithreading I/O is problematic if all the threads are vying for the same resource like drive access in which case the threads queue up for access and wait their turn. True the main thread could continue but at some point it’s going to want that data and have to wait itself.

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

Well Lineage 2 is using Unreal Engine 2.5. I’m sure if NCSOFT rolled their own engine for it as oppose to adapting to a FPS engine their performance wouldn’t be so hot either.

RIP City of Heroes