GW2 crashing my entire computer

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Cheese Lord.3825

Cheese Lord.3825

Q:

Last year my computer was overheating due to the absolutely extreme demands GW2 runs on my computer, so I took apart my PC and vacuumed it and it cooled off and was able to run. Since the big update today I cant play for any more than a few minutes without my computer reaching absurd temperatures and shutting down. I’ve updated all of drivers, took apart and cleaned all dust out of my PC, and even added another fan, done a virus scan, changed in game settings, etc., but it still crashed my entire PC after a couple minutes of game play. I’ve spent the whole day researching the issue and have found nothing. Looking for a solution so I can once again enjoy the game instead of turning my computer into an oven.

Cheese Lord.3825

I am not even blue screening, it black screens and immediately shuts down with a quiet high pitch sound before. Sometimes even after it cools I will I turn it back on and it will shut down after a few minutes of use, not even in game.

Posted by: Linuxfish.6089

Linuxfish.6089

you might have a underlineing thermal issue but it seems we have the same gw2 bug, temp readings?

Cheese Lord.3825

It reached as high as 68c before automatically shutting down but just now it shut down at 62c and I was able to turn the frame rate limit down and put graphics to minimal but it didn’t seem to have any effect, sits around 39-43 idle and gw2 immediately spikes into the 60s and requires 99% of my gpu, currently using Radeon hd6590

(edited by Cheese Lord.3825)

Linuxfish.6089

62c should be ok (70c is risky tho), just ruleing it out as the main issue we are haveing.

Cheese Lord.3825

I can run The Witcher 3 with medium/high graphics no problem, there’s no way GW2 is nearly as graphic intensive yet it sets my PC to bake so yeah I don’t think its a problem on my end, I think this game just really wants to fry my computer. ANET PLEASE HELP!

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

I’ve got a cooling mat on my laptop and it’s still overheating and crashing.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Linuxfish.6089

partly fixed my issue(able to log in w/o bluescreen), the Gw2 update bugged my drivers. had to do a fresh reinstall of them. but now the gfx is all buggy to the point the driver keeps reseting ;(

(edited by Linuxfish.6089)

Cheese Lord.3825

I updated my drivers, but that never was really the issue. The game runs smoothly, it just overheats my PC really really fast while doing so.

Posted by: Nitro.4732

Nitro.4732

Hi Cheese Lord,

Comparing two completely different games is not going to provide proof of anything. Although it “The Witcher 3” may be technically more intense graphically, this would only put more strain on the graphics card not the CPU.

Since your computer is going straight to powering down, this certainly does point to the CPU Thermal Control activating to protect your hardware. Regardless of what you think Software (Including GW2) cannot force your CPU to overheat, they can only simply ask it to perform at 100%. If your CPU is overheating when it reaches its maximum power output then the problem lies with the lack of thermal dissipation with in your computer.

This could be numerous things such as a lack of airflow in the case or a weak heatsink that is not capable of handling the CPU at full power. However the most likely cause (and biggest factor in heat dissipation) will be the thermal paste that aids in the transfer of heat from the CPU to the heatsink.

Thermal paste doesn’t last forever and over time it tends to dry out and harden. This lowers the thermal dissipation properties of the thermal past as it dries out. Typically you would want to maintain this paste for optimal performance. If your PC has a warranty you could send your PC back to the manufacturer stating the overheating issue.

If you are out of warranty or built the PC yourself you could take the PC to a computer repair store or attempt to renew the thermal paste yourself.

~Nitro

CoolerMaster Masterbox 5 | H110i | AMD Ryzen R7 1800x 4.0GHz | 32GB DDR4
512GB Samsung 950pro | 2TB SATA-3 | AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

Nitro.4732

Hi Linuxfish,

Your problem is not the same as Cheese Lord’s and it is not a bug. You seem to have the opposite issue where your graphics card is overheating and not your CPU. For this I would recommend that you try software such as MSI Afterburner (or similar) to adjust your Fan Settings profile to be more aggressive at higher temperatures. This will help keep your graphics card cooler and hopefully resolve the “Driver resetting” issue you describe.

~Nitro

Linuxfish.6089

hi nitro. this problem is only happening with gw2 after the lions arch update, i run alot of other games that are more stressing on the gpu without any bugs like i saw after the update, before the update there was no such bug
update : my issue seems to have been fixed , able to play with no gfx bugs , driver resets, or crashes

(edited by Linuxfish.6089)

Nitro.4732

Linuxfish,

There are a few key areas that can be stressed separately on a graphics card, not just the GPU. Its totally plausible that a less graphically intense game can work graphics hardware harder in other areas.

Regardless the same rule applies. You hardware is designed to operate at 100% power without overheating. I have a similar issue with GW2 on my Nvidia GTX480 where if I use the recommended fan settings built into the graphics card firmware, my hardware will crash due to being stressed at high temperatures (I flashed my firmware to overclock my card so the default fan settings are no longer in line with the power usage) . However simply increasing the fan settings to run at 40% speed rather than 30% speed and increase exponentially, my graphics card no longer overheats running GW2.

I Hope this helps.

~Nitro.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

If a piece of software (ANY software) can overheat your system, you have a SYSTEM level cooling issue (either an original cooling design, some obstruction / cooling system failure or overclocking issue). PERIOD.

Software is NEVER responsible for proper cooling for your system or it’s related components. Yes, Software A may tax specific hardware more than Software B, but any system should be designed to be able to run at 100% computing capacity (CPU, GPU, Memory, P/S, et. all) without a thermal shutdown situation (this excludes extremes in ambient temperature outside the system itself).

The focus needs to be on finding a solution to your system’s cooling issues, not a vain attempt to try and blame GW2 (or ANY piece of software) for overheating your system.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Cheese Lord.3825

Thanks Nitro, a couple of questions if you wouldn’t mind, what is considered “high” for gpu and cpu temperature? and how much do you expect the paste to reduce these temperatures? and on top of that, what would be considered a normal or acceptable cpu and gpu temperature while playing GW2?

(edited by Cheese Lord.3825)

Nitro.4732

To answer those questions you would need to know specifically what model of CPU and GPU you have. This is because different models have different thermal characteristics and thresholds.