GW2.exe process doesn't end when closing

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Alfador.7649

Alfador.7649

Like the title said, closing the game frequently doesn’t close the GW2.exe process for me. I find myself frequently having to go into the task manager and close at least one instance of the process down before I can run it again.

It doesn’t actually affect the ability to run the game for anyone who uses the task manager but I’ve heard a few other people mention it so it should probably be looked at.

Posted by: BoAKaN.6052

BoAKaN.6052

I also have this issue. It’s annoying having to go into task manager every time I want to play.

Posted by: Emmiere.1058

Emmiere.1058

I’ve been having a similar issue ever since the big patch for Flame and Frost. Although for me, using the task manager to exit the program doesn’t work. I always need to restart my computer. To even get anything to come up for the game before I restart, I have to run the game as an admin. When I do that, I always get a little pop-up box that says this:

“Already Running

Guild Wars 2 is unable to start because another copy is already running on this computer, or because the application has insufficient rights to successfully detect whether another copy is already running on this computer."

It’s getting very frustrating.

Posted by: Daring Deathblade.3824

Daring Deathblade.3824

I have the same problem. This is the second time this has happened to me, and though I have seen multiple topics about this issue, and posted one myself, I have not seen any official word about it.

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

same issue. Also, I feel like the process is perhaps using a BIT too much memory…. one time it was at 1.6 gigs of ram. Potential memory leak?

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

Posted by: Cactuar.3297

Cactuar.3297

I’ve been having the same issue as well.

Posted by: Vlawde.1895

Vlawde.1895

I’ve been having a similar issue ever since the big patch for Flame and Frost. Although for me, using the task manager to exit the program doesn’t work. I always need to restart my computer. To even get anything to come up for the game before I restart, I have to run the game as an admin. When I do that, I always get a little pop-up box that says this:

“Already Running

Guild Wars 2 is unable to start because another copy is already running on this computer, or because the application has insufficient rights to successfully detect whether another copy is already running on this computer."

It’s getting very frustrating.

This has just started happening to me in the past few days, so it’s a new issue. I opened up task manager as well, and it isn’t running. I’ve tried right clicking on the program and selecting run as administrator….still happens. I shouldn’t have to reboot my computer very time I sit down to play.

Just in case there is a commonality with this issue, my os is vista 64 bit, and I always use chrome as my browser…..usually check stuff online before I play

Posted by: Kagato.4061

Kagato.4061

My friend and I were just talking about this today. It just recently started happening, and it occurs almost every time we close the game now. Thankfully it isn’t anything too bad, since I just have to open task manager and end the process, but it definitely is pretty annoying.

Posted by: Blacksarevok.8104

Blacksarevok.8104

I’m having the same issue. However I noticed that if I alt+f4 out of the game, the process closes just fine. The process only remains if I exit via the menu option when in-game.

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

Same here. Started with the newest patch. A guildie said it happens to her too. Close it at night, the next morning it is still running in the background.

Also 64 bit, but windows 7.

Posted by: Emmiere.1058

Emmiere.1058

Just in case there is a commonality with this issue, my os is vista 64 bit, and I always use chrome as my browser…..usually check stuff online before I play

Windows 7 64 bit for me. And I’m loyal to Firefox.

Posted by: Alfador.7649

Alfador.7649

I should add that I’m also on 64 bit, but Vista.

I guess a real question would be, has anyone not on 64 bit experienced this? So far it seems like that might be a common factor?

For those of you who can’t find it in the task manager on W7, are you checking the “see processes from all users” button? For some reason GW2 doesn’t always seem to run under the “account” that you’re logged into, maybe because of the launcher.

Posted by: Daring Deathblade.3824

Daring Deathblade.3824

I also have 64 bit windows 7. Still havent seen any official word on the problem though

Posted by: Kalimni.9731

Kalimni.9731

Same issue for me. Win 7-64 bit. Didn’t start happening until F&F update..

Posted by: Socrates the mauler.4156

Socrates the mauler.4156

Also noticed this tonight. Also running windows 7 64bit.

Posted by: Godzillathon.8052

Godzillathon.8052

I’m running Windows XP SP3 and it does the same thing to me. Sorry to kill the common factor hopes, but I think this is a universal problem. Also only started for me after the 1/28 patch. Obviously the patch broke something and they haven’t figured out how to fix it yet.

Posted by: Rizzo.4012

Rizzo.4012

Same problem here, most of the time it never turns off unless i go into task manager and end process. Even after putting the PC into sleep mode it is still running in the backround and i turn the pc back on.

Posted by: Elektrohund.5086

Elektrohund.5086

I’m in the same boat. It only happens sometimes though.

Posted by: Kalimni.9731

Kalimni.9731

Hmm, wish we could get an update on this.